Extended Area Effect +2
Complex Detection +1
Restricted Effect(only Hackers/Technomancers) -1
Very Restricted Target(caster only) -2
Sustained +0

Drain Code +3

Let me know if I have figured the Drain code incorrectly/

WMS

Have changed the name to correctly state what it is detecting.
mfb
there's no reasonable way to differentiate a hacker from anyone else who has a commlink. i'm not sure it's stated anywhere, but there's no way at all to detect technomancers as being technomancers via magic. technomancerism (or whatever) can't be detected via astral perception, so i don't think it should be detectable by a spell.
Demon_Bob
Not sure. Don't have Street magic with me at moment.

Personally, I would make the spell Extended Detect Hacker/Technomancer and use the same drain code as Extended Detect Enemies (F/2)+3. You know which Hacker is friendly, the rest are potential enemies. The only reason they might not have hostile intent towards you is the minor fact that they don't know you are there yet.

But if you wanted to go with a limited Extended Detect Enemies (Hacker) I would say (F/2)+2.
Aaron
Actually, technomancers can be detected astrally, but you need at least five hits to make that determination.

WearzManySkins
QUOTE (mfb)
there's no reasonable way to differentiate a hacker from anyone else who has a commlink. i'm not sure it's stated anywhere, but there's no way at all to detect technomancers as being technomancers via magic. technomancerism (or whatever) can't be detected via astral perception, so i don't think it should be detectable by a spell.

Reasonable way? rotfl.gif

How does one detect enemies,,it is MAGIC!!! Technomancers have resonance, mages, samurai, and mundanes do not.

I will concede that a non resonance using Hacker would not be detected by it.

Being able to detect Technomancers, then follow up with a Turn Wireless Signal to Orange Scent spell. Which shows TM's as one trick ponies, take away their wireless, they are standing around waiting for their body bag. biggrin.gif
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Aaron)
Actually, technomancers can be detected astrally, but you need at least five hits to make that determination.

Detection Spells Results Table BBB page 198.

On a non astral plane, 1-4 successes give a little information to very detailed information.
MaxHunter
a "hacker" could be defined as anyone running a "stealth" program

Cheers,

Max

edit: and/or "exploit", dammit!
Aaron
Since one could detect enemies, I imagine one could detect people who intend to use their wireless connections mischievously.
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (MaxHunter)
a "hacker" could be defined as anyone running a "stealth" program

Cheers,

Max

edit: and/or "exploit", dammit!

I have changed the name of the spell to more accurately reflect what it is detecting.

So hackers could still be detected via a detect enemies, while a resonance user would be detected by this spell.

Thanks Max
Ravor
*Shrugs* I guess it depends on what you consider Resonance to really be, personally I wouldn't allow this spell to work in my campaigns, at least not without requiring a Threshold equal to the hits necessary to detect Technos Astrally first...

*Edit*

And probably not even then...
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Ravor)
*Shrugs* I guess it depends on what you consider Resonance to really be, personally I wouldn't allow this spell to work in my campaigns, at least not without requiring a Threshold equal to the hits necessary to detect Technos Astrally first...

*Edit*

And probably not even then...

Perception on the Astral plane uses the "visual" rules to a large extent.

Detection spells are different they use a different table. Detection is not always a perception. The examples the BBB gives for detect life are a good example. This is a detection spell not a perception roll.

I view it a narrowing of the detect enemies spell. Detect Magic is a valid spell by the BBB. Now I agree that detecting resonance would make the drain higher.
Ravor
WearzManySkins I understand where you are coming from. I just happen to disagree that Resonance can be easily detected using Magic. I would also disagree with a spell that could easily detect implanted Delta-Grade Cyberware, there are some things that Magic just doesn't do well, and high Technology is one of them.
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Ravor)
WearzManySkins I understand where you are coming from. I just happen to disagree that Resonance can be easily detected using Magic. I would also disagree with a spell that could easily detect implanted Delta-Grade Cyberware, there are some things that Magic just doesn't do well, and high Technology is one of them.

I never stated that detecting delta grade implants as being possible, check out the description of Detect Magic. frown.gif

But the Technomages/hackers can still be detected by Detect Enemies spell. But it does not single out the technomages/hackers.

WMS
Jaid
QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
But the Technomages/hackers can still be detected by Detect Enemies spell. But it does not single out the technomages/hackers.

WMS

i'll agree to that.

i don't think it should be possible to use a detection spell to detect technomancers, for much the same reason i don't think there should be a spellcasting-based technique for counterspelling or summoning spirits.

figuring out if someone is a TM or not is the purview of astral perception, in my opinion, and shouldn't be made irrelevant by sorcery/spellcasting effects.
Ravor
QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
I never stated that detecting delta grade implants as being possible, check out the description of Detect Magic.

Yeah, and your point is? The fact that there is a magical spell that can be used to detect other MAGIC has no bearing on whether or not magic can easily detect Resonance which is not Magic.

QUOTE (WearzManySkins)

True, and I wouldn't have a problem with a spell that combined the effects of Detect Wireless Transmitters with Detect Enemies, such a spell could prove useful provided that the Decker/Techno was on the scene and not hacking your equipment remotely. I do however have a problem with taking it one step further and singling out the presence of Resonance.
WearzManySkins
Hmm Detect Comm Link then followed up with a Analyze Comm Link.....that may be the combination of spells.....

The point under Detect Magic is this does not detect Awakened characters or critters...so magic attribute and resonance attributes will not be detected using this type of spell. So unless you consider resonance not to be awakened, it can not be used.

Detect Individual, would work if the team has his name and seen him. So having a "picture" of the technomage/hacker has uses IG. Ware of security cameras, and a good data search for a named.
Ravor
Umm, I'm not sure if I follow your last post, but I'd still say that if all you wanted to do is detect someone who is planning on trying to hack your equipment then you'd be better off sticking with the broadest spell effects possible, which would be Detect Wireless Transmitter & Detect Enemies. Provided of course that they were on scene and not hacking remotely.

Now if you were trying to deduce if someone were a Techno or not, then I suppose the correct spell effects would be Detect Wireless Transmitter followed by Detect Commlink hoping to get a 'ping' with one but not the other. However I've long said that only a very stupid Techno wouldn't carry a working commlink with them at all times anyways.

And no, Technomancers are not 'Awakened' and Resonance is not 'Magic' so I'm still not quite sure what your point about Detect Magic was...
WearzManySkins
Ravor,

I thank your for your inputs. I apologize if I seemed to steam roll over your agruements/discussions Sometimes when you are on a roll so to speak, you get heavy handed.

Multi tasking right now. smile.gif

I see those that use the wireless to a weapon against those who can not hack it, to try and find a defense/offense. Some of my ideas are valid some are not, but if they catalyzes ideas for player and GM then it is good.
Ravor
Aye, well I've always said that the best defense against an enemy Decker is a Force 6+ Ball Lighting. cyber.gif
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
I see those that use the wireless to a weapon against those who can not hack it, to try and find a defense/offense.

...I have similar feelings concerning mages who do the same thing, however (other than carrying a very big gun and being so pumped on speed enhancements so to geek the mage first), there isn't much a mundane (including a hacker) can do to improve his or her defences against magic.

Violet's Sniffer and Analyze programmes can't tell her if a hostile mage is somewhere in the crowd, so IMO why should a mage have the extra advantage of a spell to detect if she's out snooping around people's PANs. That's what Firewall upgrades, IC and Agents are for. If the mage refuses to allocate resources to improve his commlink defences and/or make good friends with a fellow hacker PC or NPC Contact (which are already provided for under the current rules), than he simply deals with the consequences just as a Violet does when he fires a spell at her.

I've looked through this thread and the one on Detecting Wireless Signals and in my game would refuse to allow such spells. Mages already have enough of an upper hand over the mundane world as it is.

...I look at it as game balance.
Wasabi
Area Thought Recognition set to the concept of Hacking into things 4tw!
odinson
A thought. If you are limiting the results of a detect enemies when would the technomancer be considered your enemy. If the technomancers goal was to say, steal data from your comlink would that be considered hostile? Attacking someone in cybercombat would be, short of that what can they do with wireless that would be considered hostile?
Ravor
Depends, the way I read the spell I think that it might very well 'ping' when someone is planning on cutting you off in traffic because they didn't like your bumper sticker.

Conversely of course, it wouldn't 'ping' if they cut you off because they were running late, ect...
Wasabi
QUOTE (odinson)
A thought. If you are limiting the results of a detect enemies when would the technomancer be considered your enemy. If the technomancers goal was to say, steal data from your comlink would that be considered hostile? Attacking someone in cybercombat would be, short of that what can they do with wireless that would be considered hostile?

I'd say anyone in the process of causing lasting injury makes someone an enemy but that guy upset in traffic might require a lot of hits to detect.

"In the process" should include looking for the runner with plans of acting on who he finds, etc.
Konsaki
Hmm... I didnt read the entire thread, my bad, but I did see someone saying something about 'Spell that detects Resonance'.

"You cast the spell successfully. Your magical senses go haywire due to every electronic device around you ringing of 'Resonance'."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012