Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Comlink Quandries
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Degausser
I'm getting confused about comlinks in Shadowrun, and how extensive the "big brother is watching" trail is. For example:

Let's say you've got a comlink, and some cash in a bank. But you lack a fake SIN or an actual SIN. Does that mean that you can't even go down to the local stuffer shack and grab the new Artery Clogger 3000 insta-nuke burger? The book says that computers read your comlink to map purchasing trends and such. So, if your comlink doesn't have your SIN, will it alert the authorities?

What about walking down the street? Does the GPS in your comlink monitor every place you been and broadcast the data? I realise 'hidden' mode makes your comlink not show up to other comlinks (well, not normally) but does it also stop all the stupid big brother crap? I know that you can just turn your comlink off (or the wireless reciever off) but will that preclude you from going anywhere or buying anything? (the book says comlinks are the primary source of payment in the sixth world.)
knasser

You're going to get a range of different answers on this one. But I think that only goes to show you that you as GM can justify quite a range of answers in your own game and still fit in with what's published. Also, bear in mind that a lot of this will vary according to location. Bellevue will be different to Tacoma which will be different to Redmond or the NAAN.

My own answers would be as follows.

Commlinks are often the means of payment and may / will have a biometric reader built in for security. However, I see the usefulness of the commlink being primarily that it is an interface that is already linked in to the systems of whatever shops you're currently in / subscribed to, that you have instant feedback about your bank balance, credit line, current bill total for all the clothes you've picked up in the store so far and, also importantly, bank details ready to be transferred to the shop. In short, it's the most common means of payment because it's incredibly useful and convenient. I think there are others. For example, stores will probably have their own (biometric) ways of authenticating you and your bank details assuming you know your details.

There are also still credsticks around that aren't tied to a particular SIN. You can purchase these from banks just by dumping the nuyen from your account and getting a credstick with the equivalent balance on it (minus a charge). These would be a common means of carrying electronic nuyen about for people without SINs or who wished to make anonymous purchases. They could also be biometrically tied to a particular user, perhaps.

Probably you could do the same with your commlink (though perhaps less securely). Essentially all you need are the electronic keys to the balance and that's as easy on a commlink as an anonymous credstick.

There's also the possibility of banks that don't require a SIN for an account. Well, when I say banks, it might just mean a Yakuza sponsored operation. But the SINless have to get by somehow. Quite possibly there are small independent banks that people can join, even community based ones.

As to being picked up or traced walking down the street. it depends where you are. Assuming that your commlink isn't in Hidden mode then you may need some sort of fake SIN in it, but I don't think any routine checks would be anything other than the most cursory. The problem would be when you put your comm into Hidden mode. The cameras will know that someone is there, but they wont know who, and that probably will get flagged up for a much closer look. In more affluent / controlled areas, having your comm in Hidden mode is a big red flag.
WearzManySkins
Well most SINless have have certified credsticks they use for transactions like you described.

Now if your comm link is buffed out ie max upgrades/increases, most causal scans by stores will gain them nothing, or if you a worker of AR/VR skills you can give the stores some preset/false data for them to grind their numbers to select your purchasing trends.

ie You walk into a Department Store, your falsified trends, leads them to believe you are mega spender, with "weird" tastes. So you might even get a meat body to come and ask you if you need assistance.

As for walking down the street and the street spam, well keep you comm linked buffed up to SOTA. You can tell your GPS to forget about where you have been. Just because the comm link stores some information about you does not mean the information has to stay "accurate". biggrin.gif
knasser
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ May 29 2007, 11:59 PM)
You can tell your GPS to forget about where you have been. Just because the comm link stores some information about you does not mean the information has to stay "accurate". biggrin.gif

Well that depends on where the data is stored. I'm not saying your interpretation is wrong, but perhaps the comm only serves to identify you to the store which then goes and looks up your profile in the giant marketing database shared between different shops. In that case, the data isn't on your commlink for you to modify. Same with the GPS records.

You're probably best having a few very low rating, cheap disposable fake SINs for general wandering about and keep your higher rated, more expensive SIN for important situations and tests. Becasue even if a SIN is fake, it's still a SIN, and accumulates information. They may not know who the money was really paid to, but they might know that he always buys his dinner from the Stuffer Shack on the corner of 53rd street.

Food for thought.
mfb
the interesting question to me is, if i'm walking around Bellevue with my commlink in Hidden mode, or even turned off completely, how is anyone going to know? i'm not logging onto any networks, so they can't scan for Hidden nodes and find me. unless they try reverse triangulation (noting my physical location and attempting to find any signals coming from that point), which should be at least as non-trivial as regular triangulation, there's not going to be any way to tell that i'm in Hidden mode.

unless... maybe if you're not in Hidden mode, you have an AR icon? so a drone or a hacker using a seccam sees my physical body, and if they don't see an AR icon over me, they say "hey! he's either in Hidden mode or he doesn't have a commlink turned on!"

in that case, though, it should be pretty easy to stealth around in a place like Bellevue, simply by sticking fairly close to people who do have an active, non-Hidden commlink. if you're careful and lucky, anyone (hacker or drone) who sees you will see an AR icon nearby and will assume it's yours. i think that'd be a Shadowing roll, rather than Infiltration.
knasser

That's a good point which I hadn't thought of. I'd always just thought that the cameras would spot someone walking along and if they didn't pick up a corresponding ID signal, they'd flag an alert. But pinpointing the signal with that accuracy would be difficult. It would probably require some degree of active participation from the commlink - "I'm a commlink, I can see you from this angle and the camera over there from this other angle. Can you work it out from that or do you need more info?"

However, I think face recognition would also be quite advanced by 2070. Maybe not sufficient for identifying people without any hints, but it should be easy for the security system to pull up the photos attached to all the IDs currently being broadcast at it by the passing commlinks.

it's a good point though. There are a number of other ways around it (such as handing off information from camera to camera along the route and working it out through elimination), but it's definitely something that needs to be answered.
hobgoblin
Im not sure if one can get a comlink without a sin...
psychophipps
It main book states that black comlink access for those trying to stay off the books or without SIN is fairly common.

Hell, it was the only way Bulldog could get access with his criminal SIN,
Mark(psycho)Phipps( HAHAHA! )
Demon_Bob
QUOTE (hobgoblin)

Theft if nothing else. Buy a COM-Link from someone who can get them legally.
Jack Kain
QUOTE (hobgoblin)

Its easy beat the crap out of someone who has a comlink and steal it.

But seriously I'm guessing you can get a comlink with out a sin here's why.
Credsticks, if you need your sin to use a credstick then there is no point in credsticks anymore.
mfb
haha. you know what? it shouldn't check for a SIN--it should check for a positive account balance (bank account, certified credstick, whatever) or available credit. if you don't have a SIN, you don't have rights, sure, but unless you're causing trouble (possibly including such felonies as Walking while Goblinized), nobody cares where you go--as long as you are a potential customer, verifiable through a financial account linked to your commlink.
hobgoblin
Well the has always been the concept of certified credsticks. But can a comlink be pre-paid, like some mobile phones are today?
mfb
if my idea were how SR worked, then... yes, sorta. you wouldn't get charged just for being online (beyond the amount you pay, if any, to your MSP). basically, as long as your commlink is connected (skinlink, subscription, whatever) to an account with a positive balance--be it a bank account, a certified credstick, or whatever--then you'd have a much-reduced chance of getting hassled for being where you aren't welcome.
Degausser
Just had a thought in relation to he walking-around-while-in-hidden/off mode.

Comlinks run off of batteries. Sure, super-sophisticated sixty-years-in-the-future bateries, but bateries none the less. What if a perfectly 'normal' person forgot to leave the house with their comlink. or forgot to charge it? Then they would be running around without a comlink. You gotta figure this would happen some of the time, right. Is lonestar willing to track down every Joe, Jhonny and Mary who forgot to take their comlink to the corner convieniance store/forgot to charge it the night before? Might make the game a little more believable for 'walking around."

Plus, you gotta figure there are paranoid dudes out there, perfectly legit people who just like running their commlinks in hidden mode because they don't want to broadcast everything to everyone. Sure, they'll make phone calls and buy stuff, but they don't want anyone they don't know looking at their details. So maybe running in hidden mode isn't so strange.
Meriss
One prob with batteries Degausser. You know those Eco watches? They have this itty bitty pendulem that winds a teeny spring that makes the watch go. And aparently they're working on human powered junk all over the place. I'm not saying your low end link has one of these but you're SOTA link might. (And yes they have an electric version of this) Then again I look at anything that says future and go "It's the future frag it they can do anything" But that's just years of sci-fi reading talking.

I agree with you on the paranoid dudes. Heck some of these guys might have whole "Don't mess with me" bunkers somewhere (Total gun freedom it's a beautiful thing)
laughingowl
Yep

Shadrun to the best of my impressions pretty much gives for 'normal' uses, energy is not a problem.

lasers and huge drain items might have an endurance but expect you commlink to last longer then you is the impression I get.
kzt
QUOTE (mfb)
the interesting question to me is, if i'm walking around Bellevue with my commlink in Hidden mode

I've never seen just how hidden is supposed to work. As described it's pretty much nonsensical.

"PAN is invisible to other nodes unless you access or authorize them. PAN users in hidden mode are said to be “ghosting,� since there is no way for other users to see them."

If you took out the "or authorize them" this seems logical to be running without wireless turned off, but if you can authorize other people to connect you there has to be something the provides the connection. So logically someone scanning would see some sort of transmitter there. If they cared enough they would probably be able to identify exactly what model comlink it was. They just won't know it was you. Of course, as soon as you transmit to 'authorized nodes' they can suck all the data out of the traffic, which would likely identify you.

The other issue is that in order to not be trivially tracked you have to not be able to place or receive any kind of communication. If someone can call you on your comlink (or if you can call them) the network has to know where you are so they can route the call to the transmitter nearest your comlink at that second. So if you are able to get calls there is going to be a record of where that comlink has been, probably accurate to within at least hundreds of feet, living on a server somewhere. Probably major parts of the record lives on a lot of different servers.

So paranoid people use old fashioned one-way pagers to have their fixer call them.
Sterling
Okay, my take on this (and again, I'm Not Your GM aka INYGM) is that you only need one commlink, but a SINchip needs to be present. This allows your commlink to make purchases and know whose bank account to debit. It's possible you could have prepaid commlinks, which is a really nifty idea, but you'd have to have some sort of fake data so the commlink can identify you when queried by nodes or drones.

And that's my 'vision' of how it all works in SR4land. As you walk down the street, your commlink is moving from node to node. But as you're jandering down the street, a drone will be running a circuit (in AAA zones, maybe as thick as one drone/block) and as it passes overhead it's lazily scanning people and checking their PANs. If it spots a person with a PAN in hidden mode (which might as well be no PAN), it either announces it or reports it to the appropriate security personnel or both. A Spider may be alerted and jump into the drone. This means that with a rating 1 illegal SIN and the cruddiest piece of junk Commlink you could, in theory, have no problem walking around. Four million people in Seattle means there's such an overload of information that in the short term, you can count on the odds being in your favor. Drones are everywhere, from acting as stoplights/traffic control, courier duty, etc, but there's only so much a drone can do.

The drones aren't even much of a danger beyond PAN checks, since a decent lined coat and concealable holster means even a heavy pistol (zero modifier base to detect it) is now at negative three dice on the test. Every drone in the book has a sensor of... you guessed it, three or less. Therefore, without a clearsight autosoft, the drone can barely check PANs per person. If you do think Lone Star or whomever can afford to dump Clearsight autosofts in every drone, there's another factor, the problem drones have in targetting metahumans (another neg three dice) so even with an autosoft rating of four in clearsight, the drone has one die to roll to get a five or above.

This came up in my last session due to the fact two of the players had SR2/3 era characters. The mage didn't have any problem, really. Commlink off and invis means you're not on the grid and no one notices. The Samurai was pretty bummed, but then I pointed out that a commlink in the hidden or off position coupled with a good chameleon suit and a decent infiltration skill or stealth skill group means never having to deal with drones or nodes at all (no commlink, and neg four to be spotted, plus any stealth successes). The only three flaws in that plan are thermographic vision, which can be fixed with the thermal dampener addition to armor, ultrasound... which I don't even need to mention how easy that is to get around... and mages. Damn fingerwigglers... but they're not as common as say, a drone.

I also reasoned if you had two sins and two commlinks, one for your 'everyday' activities (decent SIN rating, light pistol license, bland average data) and your Shadow SIN and Comm (tricked out comm, max affordable SIN, licenses for everything, yadda yadda) the best place to switch would be a boundary overlay (like zoning in most MMORPGS) where you leave one node (like the Metrolink station) and enter another (stepping out into the street).

Commlinks offer the new 'easy' way of running, hack it until it can't be hacked or spoofed or edited, then start shooting. But there's still several oldschool ways (the chameleon and stealth option, for example) that can work out well. Hell, you could just drop 1100 nuyen (book value) and wear one crappy commlink with a rating one SIN, do the run all muscle no tech finesse, and when it's done take off your Urban Explorer jumpsuit and helmet and chuck the crapcom into the Puget Sound. Congratulations, 'Bob Jones', the guy who noisily broke into that secure facility is now off the grid forever. This doesn't even touch the old standbys of kidnap/threaten/extort an employee to get you in with their legit passcode.
Degausser
Two things:
1) Batteries: this was just an example. What I meant to illistrate was that there are all sorts of reasons one might not have their comlink with them at every point in every day. It could break, be stolen, forgotten, get a virus, become hacked . . . . (not to mention NOT having a comlink isn't a crime. The technology is still only six years old. . . there's gotta be SOME holdout people still left in the world witht their old cell phones and cyberdecks). The question I really meant to ask was "Is Lonestar really going to stop and question every single non-comlink user who they happen to find? My initial questions were really more for the idea of how a person with a comlink but without a SIN could survive, not if a dude could survive by turning OFF his comlink.

2)

This is how I view hidden mode:

Dude turns on "normal" mode (A.k.a. super noobie mode) and he is broadcasting his signal out there, trying to get as much attention as possible. Yay, good for him. All other comlinks pick up his broadcast, and he picks up all other comlink broadcasts.

Dude turns on "hidden" mode and all of the sudden he stops advertising. However, if you "authorise" a user (or, in my mind, give him some information, akin to modern day IP address) then your buddy can "ping" for your comlink, and, if it's in range (and if you are allowing him to talk to you) your two comlinks can handshake, start a diologue, whatever.

Note that it IS possible for hackers to hack a 'hidden' comlink, it's just harder. In my mind, (and again, I'm no computer engineer) the hacker could 'ping' the area, determin which comlinks are transmitting at all (even hidden comlinks are transmitting to their buddies) and then try to force the comlink to give them access. Tough, but the book has rules for it.
kzt
QUOTE (Sterling @ May 29 2007, 09:58 PM)
Okay, my take on this (and again, I'm Not Your GM aka INYGM) is that you only need one commlink, but a SINchip needs to be present. . . . It's possible you could have prepaid commlinks, which is a really nifty idea, but you'd have to have some sort of fake data so the commlink can identify you when queried by nodes or drones.

I can't think of an reason why the companies making comlinks would make it easy to change the comlink so it appears as another. In addition I can't see any reason why a service provider would want this on their network. Since these two entities are often parts of the same company it seems even less likely that they would partner to allow themselves to be defrauded. Encouraging you to buy lots of comlinks would seem more likely.

Logically you wouldn't really be sending out your ID, but some sort of hardware attribute of the comlink electronics. Given the lack of encryption in SR some sort of extremely difficult to modify attribute would seem like the only way to even vaguely identify the comlink. This doesn't mean you can't link any given comlink to a given credit profile, Id, etc, but this is something that rides on top of the hardware and is verified externally by some sort of service.

Of course, if you are just walking around you can just steal a SIN from some idiot and broadcast this. There isn't any way that lone-star can practically differentiate between 6'2 male elves with brown hair on a city-wide level.
Sterling
Regarding hidden versus active versus passive, there's a website here that has been around for ages. Click on ShieldsUP for a check on your PC's security.

What it does is it scans your computer (the one you're on now, also taking into account your firewall, router, or whatever) and sees if the ports are considered open (active in SR4 terms), closed (passive), or stealth (hidden). This can be done while you are online, receiving mail, etc. So yeah, the technology does somewhat exist* to show if your computer is in active, passive, or hidden mode. And if you're in proper hidden mode, your PC won't even respond to an IP ping.

*I do need to mention that the port example would be practically airtight if it wasn't for the fact the first thing the website does is tell you your IP address. But this does fit, it's sort of similar to the broadcast ID KZT was mentioning. Like a wireless MAC address.

And KZT, I do think there is a lot of truth to what you say, but as an example, I can swap the SIM chip out of my cell phone into another, and the wireless phone companies don't want me to do that either. While your average person wouldn't be able to do it, I never underestimate the dedication of a shadowrunner with a microelectronic toolkit. But yeah, we can go with your premise and then say a runner has multiple commlinks. If you're dropping three to six thousand on a fake SIN, you'd want a decent commlink to back it up.
Degausser
Yeah, I need to upgrad the firewall on my comlink. Running in hidden mode just isn't going to cut it.

mfb
QUOTE (kzt)
If you took out the "or authorize them" this seems logical to be running without wireless turned off, but if you can authorize other people to connect you there has to be something the provides the connection. So logically someone scanning would see some sort of transmitter there. If they cared enough they would probably be able to identify exactly what model comlink it was. They just won't know it was you. Of course, as soon as you transmit to 'authorized nodes' they can suck all the data out of the traffic, which would likely identify you.

i figure it's a combination of things that SR4 ties up into one package to make simpler, because it's something that, once someone figures out how to do it, everyone will copy.

what's the combination? could be a lot of things. frequency-hopping is my favorite (if you couldn't tell by the way i bring it up everytime signals stuff is mentioned even in passing), using different ports, some low-end signal encryption, transmitting with fake information, whatever. the gist of it is, you're still online, but you're not transmitting the way standard commlinks transmit. you can receive just fine (any error-checking responses required would be sent out under an assumed one-use identity), but you don't send out responses that are easily-identifiable. you can still be found, but it's harder.

bait
the hacker could 'ping' the area, determin which comlinks are transmitting at all (even hidden comlinks are transmitting to their buddies) and then try to force the comlink to give them access. Tough, but the book has rules for it.

Even in the wireless age you still need to connect to the backbone at some point, which means even a hidden comlink is going to have to run a link to something attached to it.

You could also simulate a police sweep which makes people not want to stay in hidden mode.

Logically you wouldn't really be sending out your ID, but some sort of hardware attribute of the comlink electronics. Given the lack of encryption in SR some sort of extremely difficult to modify attribute would seem like the only way to even vaguely identify the comlink. This doesn't mean you can't link any given comlink to a given credit profile, Id, etc, but this is something that rides on top of the hardware and is verified externally by some sort of service.

SIN as described in SR4 is a sort of hash which provides links to personal records, and the records are also cross checked to prevent easy tampering. ( Hence why you can't just use forgery to whip up a new SIN.)

Because of the big brother effect you will want some sort of SIN in place to avoid getting caught up in sweeps. ( Blank deck thats not in the store looks real suspicious, and since you don't have a SIN you must be up to no good.)

Also look at the political situation, Corps are now direct political entities and in order to sell product they must avoid locking there hardware when its designed for external markets. ( Also makes it easier to use as payments for black ops and runners.)

Besides its easier to hide a bit a software then a chip.

"Is Lonestar really going to stop and question every single non-comlink user who they happen to find? My initial questions were really more for the idea of how a person with a comlink but without a SIN could survive, not if a dude could survive by turning OFF his comlink.

Sure Lonestar would as there isn't a reason for a legitimate citizen not to have a comlink with there SIN on it.

And the corps play into this by adding services for active coms, the average citizen can walk right up to a concert and get there ticket without having to hit a ticket booth. ( Basically leveraging a measure of security through incentives.)

The other positive with having a comlink is security sweeps tend to be noisy, so you get a heads up when the heat is on. ( Those without a com are at a distinct disadvantage here, keep an eye on the locals.)

However, the vast majority of areas aren't going to be that heavily patrolled. ( And the real fun areas most likely will not be patrolled period.)

frequency-hopping is my favorite

In order for frequency-hopping to be effective and not obvious it would have to be a standard public range, also to make sure you maintain connectivity with standard gear which makes the signal traceable.

Which leaves you with two choices.

1.) You use proprietary bands, which stick out like a sore thumb. ( Also wouldn't be able to use public networks.)
2.) Use the public range and lose the security aspect of the channel hopping.
Degausser
Hey, just a quick question that has very little to do with this discussion.

Can a dude manipulate AR without AR gloves? I was under the impression that he could use his comlink's interface to interact with AR devices (it was just more clunky than the AR gloves.) Am I on the right track here?
mfb
best i can tell, a commlink is basically like a computer without a keyboard. you want to type on your computer, you need some sort of interface--AR gloves, trodes, datajack, whatever. it lacks a monitor, too; you need contacts, glasses, a datajack, or whatever in order to see what you're doing.
Degausser
Shadowrun, SR4, Page 317
Commlinks are the universal matrix Access device, used by everyone to be online all-the time, control all their electronics, access their ID and accounts, and enhance their experiances with augmented and virtual reality.  For an exploration of the Comlink's uses, see Commlinks and Networking p.210.  A range of stock commlinks and operating systems are provided:
    Though Variations exist according to different models, the standard commlink contains most of the following features: music player, micro-trid/holo projector/"touch-screen display, camcorder, microphone, image/text scanner, RFID tag reader, GPS (global positioning system, traangulated from registered local wireless nodes,) roll-up Velcro fastening keyboard, chip player, credstick reader, retractable earbuds, voice-access controls, and a shockand water-resistant case

So, yes, they do come with both displays and keyboards. Not very good ones, but ones none the less.
WhiskeyMac
The best option for a shadowrunner is a nice rated fake SIN (Rating 4 or better), or his/her real SIN, on a decent commlink set in passive mode with a black commcode and a black bank account. On pg. 259 (pg. 214 for black commcodes) of the BBB it states that black commcodes/bank accounts don't share their records with anyone, therefore no profile can be created.

I don't think your GPS location gets broadcasted unless requested by an authority. Maybe on a security wavelength that requires a particular passcode or something. The BBB on pg. 259 states "For privacy reasons this information is usually not broadcast as part of their personal profile for social networking, though some high-security areas may require that key information (particularly name & SIN) to be broadcast." It also says that varied info (licenses, permits, etc.) can be transmitted (encryption level 5) on an as needed basis with authorization from the user. Also says you can broadcast it at a lower Signal, through LOS laserbeam or even physical jackpoint.

You can use certified credsticks to purchase anything normally available to be purchased by a commlink. Commlinks just make it easier because you can pick up the product, have your commlink scan it and auto-deduct the price from your bank account and walk out of the store without even having to mess with a cashier. However, some places, probably the richie rich places of the Sixth World, wouldn't let you into the store without a particular balance on your commlink, say like 100k or more, and definitely wouldn't let you in with a certified credstick (That's soooooo lower class).

I'm making this assumption based on a A and below rated area. For AA and up or restricted areas I'm sure they require passive if not active mode (the BBB states this on pg. 259). I don't find it hard to believe someone could have their commlink off, or not on them, and go down to the local Stuffer Shack, buy some soyslurpies with a credstick and go home without being hassled by the cops if they appeared to belong and didn't cause any trouble. Your SIN contains your biometric data so you'd only have to get your thumb or retina scanned and any cop would know who you are in a few minutes.
knasser
Just a word on the active vs. passive modes. I think it's clear from the book that most people want to be on Active mode. They are deliberately and enthusiastically broadcasting interests, opinions, sexual preferences, music tastes, friend lists and more. This is not the MySpace generation, it is the MySpace generatation + 1. I think someone who wasn't broadcasting personal profiles might well be considered a creepy stalker or a paranoid recluse by a lot of people. This is a generation that grew up believing the idea that if you haven't got anything to hide then why would you care about privacy? They are the post-PATRIOT, post-Blair, ultimate consumers.

I see the following conversation:

Modern Day Person: "You realise that all your behaviour, purchases are recorded and your blog and email is scanned for keywords in order to profile you?"
SR 2070 Person: "Well, duh! How do you expect the shops to send me the offers that I want or the dating sites to provide suitable guys? Why do you hate the UCAS?"

After all, I seem to be one of the few that cares about Gmail scanning my emails so it can target me with ads. The next generation of this behavour could be far more intrusive. The Shadowrunner could really stand out if not careful.
Aaron
QUOTE (Degausser)
Can a dude manipulate AR without AR gloves? I was under the impression that he could use his comlink's interface to interact with AR devices (it was just more clunky than the AR gloves.) Am I on the right track here?

Yes.
DireRadiant
While I am writing this post, I'm able to access my bank account and pay my bills online. I can not only do this from this particular computer, but I can do this from a completely different computer! It's amazing, but my ability to spend money online isn't tied to a particular computer, but whether I can remember my account numbers and codes! Amazing! Any computer at all! Wow! eek.gif
Sterling
QUOTE (DireRadiant)
While I am writing this post, I'm able to access my bank account and pay my bills online. I can not only do this from this particular computer, but I can do this from a completely different computer! It's amazing, but my ability to spend money online isn't tied to a particular computer, but whether I can remember my account numbers and codes! Amazing! Any computer at all! Wow! eek.gif

Yes, but currently you can achieve decent security with 8-16 character passwords if you change them monthly, don't use simple words, etc.

In the future, computing power is such that the hackers could easily crack open bank accounts with such 'primitive' measures. So while you're right that as of right now the technology supports that position, it doesn't mean future technology won't change that drastically.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Sterling)
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ May 30 2007, 08:52 AM)

Yes, but currently you can achieve decent security with 8-16 character passwords if you change them monthly, don't use simple words, etc.

In the future, computing power is such that the hackers could easily crack open bank accounts with such 'primitive' measures. So while you're right that as of right now the technology supports that position, it doesn't mean future technology won't change that drastically.

I do not believe encryption influences the principles of third party authentication,
Ravor
QUOTE (knasser)
I think someone who wasn't broadcasting personal profiles might well be considered a creepy stalker or a paranoid recluse by a lot of people. This is a generation that grew up believing the idea that if you haven't got anything to hide then why would you care about privacy? They are the post-PATRIOT, post-Blair, ultimate consumers.

Although I agree 105% with your conclusion, I feel that it needs pointed out that 9-11, Bush/Blair, ect never happened in Shadowrun.

A nitpick to be sure, but an important one in my opinion.
mfb
QUOTE (DireRadiant)
I do not believe encryption influences the principles of third party authentication,

eh? how does it not?
DireRadiant
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (DireRadiant)

eh? how does it not?

Either we can encrypt reasonably to make basic communications and fiscal services worthwhile to use with a commlink, or we might as well not have one. Whatever the real world or game mechanics are for commlinks and encryption doesn't take away from my opinion that commlink != SIN.
mfb
oh, oh, you're saying that the lack of strong encryption in SR doesn't, for some inexplicable reason, affect how people in SR handle authentication.
Sterling
My only counterpoint to the whole encryption question was when, in the history portion of the Shadowrun universe, they mentioned that a decker in the matrix could hack old world systems with ease.

As far as encryption goes, we have to imagine that a 'best blend' between speed and encryption has been found for most financial transactions. Too much encryption slows the process down, and too little leaves your records vulnerable.

But that's the key thing about Shadowrun, that most of the talent that COULD cause havok and chaos (with their ability to hack what's considered a 'secure' system by the average joe) is locked up under contract to a megacorp. So there's probably an unusual stalemate where hackers from corp A won't risk the wrath of Corp B (inciting reprisal) by hacking them. So they hire the runners, who need loopholes like this to even justify existing. If there was serious encryption, secure SINs, etc, this wouldn't be a lot of fun to play.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Sterling)
If there was serious encryption, secure SINs, etc, this wouldn't be a lot of fun to play.

QFT.
hobgoblin
never mind, i cant read for some reason frown.gif
hobgoblin
QUOTE (mfb @ May 30 2007, 07:37 PM)
oh, oh, you're saying that the lack of strong encryption in SR doesn't, for some inexplicable reason, affect how people in SR handle authentication.

i dont go around recalling long length, alphanumeric passwords to log into my bank.

so, how does encryption affect that?

as in, how do you know that the person in front of the computer is the owner of the account?

the only thing encryption stops is the remote attack option. the hacker with the sniffer program sitting on some box and grabbing traffic.

but even today there are large spam attacks that goes after the social engineering aspect.

when people are computer tech illiterate today (harsh, but thats my very personal experience. and given the amount of similar views on the net, im not alone in having that), i dont see how SR will be any different with its VR and AR interfaces where you can interact with a virtual object as if it was real.

the human element will always be the weakest one.

basically people dont know what to look for to investigate if a site they interact with is the real deal or not. and it does not help that some people have managed to get digital certificates issued as if they where microsoft.

people dont care, and dont want to care. the big issue for them is who takes the blame if something happens.

there are people that hand out their office passwords for a bar of chocolate...

think of encryption as a fence. as long as its so high it cant be climbed, its good enough. but when it can be climbed, you add active security, or in other words ICE. at that point, the fence become something thats supposed to slow the intruder down long enough that the active security can react to them.

as for attacking someone bank account, why do so when one can have a credit card or loan issued as someone else. hell, its so simple at times that i think the card companies work with a expected fraud percentage or something rather then get into a arms race with the criminals.

again its a question of who takes the blame and the loss.

sure the punk on the corner can get away with one or two thefts. but of the pattern becomes repeated and the loss to the company becomes to great, they will roll out the security and track the person responsible down.

as long as there have been other forms of payment being accepted then pieces of metal exchanged face to face, there have been identity theft and similar. a lack of encryption just means that your back to checks and similar in its ease of fraud.

as in, write a check you know will not be covered, or one under a assumed name. get whatever it is your after, and get far away before the "problem" is spotted.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Sterling)
But that's the key thing about Shadowrun, that most of the talent that COULD cause havok and chaos (with their ability to hack what's considered a 'secure' system by the average joe) is locked up under contract to a megacorp. So there's probably an unusual stalemate where hackers from corp A won't risk the wrath of Corp B (inciting reprisal) by hacking them. So they hire the runners, who need loopholes like this to even justify existing. If there was serious encryption, secure SINs, etc, this wouldn't be a lot of fun to play.

hell, if your caught, you may get two options, a bullet to the head or come work for company x...

if you can break the mousetrap your probably able to build a better one wink.gif

hell, its the same with magic. most are trained on some official way, and often headhunted into a corp job the moment your done with the training.

a character with hacking skill have spent just as many points as someone that have a equal level in say pistols. so if the latter may speak of a background in some security force or other trained environment, why cant the former be someone out of a trained environment with the same time and money spent on training by some entity?

or is that street thought hacker such a ingrained in the psyche that we cant shake it?
Demon_Bob
QUOTE (bait)
You could also simulate a police sweep which makes people not want to stay in hidden mode.

Sure Lonestar would as there isn't a reason for a legitimate citizen not to have a comlink with there SIN on it.

Was wondering how LoneStar would react to the 'Dead Battery' ploy.
Although this would involve carring a cheap COMM-Link with a near dead battery.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Demon_Bob)
QUOTE (bait @ May 30 2007, 12:19 AM)

Was wondering how LoneStar would react to the 'Dead Battery' ploy.
Although this would involve carring a cheap COMM-Link with a near dead battery.

"sorry, but given that its the primary form of accepted id, its expected that you make sure its charged every day..."
Demon_Bob
QUOTE (knasser @ May 30 2007, 04:34 AM)
I think someone who wasn't broadcasting personal profiles might well be considered a creepy stalker or a paranoid recluse by a lot of people.

Euu. Why would I want to talk to such a person. I mean I totally can't even tell what her interests are. How would I even know what to talk about. Sure shes cute, but so what, she could be a total lesbo. Then I would have wasted my time, when it could have been better off talking to Janis over there. A single white elf female studying Biochemistry at UIUC looking for a one night stand with someone who is capable of a convincing impersonation of a popular Trid Star.
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Demon_Bob @ May 30 2007, 08:14 PM)
I think someone who wasn't broadcasting personal profiles might well be considered a creepy stalker or a paranoid recluse by a lot of people.

Euu. Why would I want to talk to such a person. I mean I totally can't even tell what her interests are. How would I even know what to talk about. Sure shes cute, but so what, she could be a total lesbo. Then I would have wasted my time, when it could have been better off talking to Janis over there. A single white elf female studying Biochemistry at UIUC looking for a one night stand with someone who is capable of a convincing impersonation of a popular Trid Star.

rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif

Keyboard KILL rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif
hobgoblin
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ May 31 2007, 02:22 AM)
QUOTE (Demon_Bob @ May 30 2007, 08:14 PM)

rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif

Keyboard KILL rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif

welcome to the matrix(web)2.0 generation wink.gif
OneTrikPony
I have a question about the setting mechanics, its in two parts.

Part A
Your comlink broadcasts any of 3 profiles in public mode Right?
Those profiles would be;
*your social profile--(this is your myspace page)
*Your Consumer profile--(bank info, credit rating, employment history, in addition to all of the information you'll give when you buy something from Holostreets)
*Your Legal Profile--(your actual SIN number, other ID document numbers, Your license numbers, Social contracts; like titles, deeds, insurance numbers, registration numbers)
My thoughts on exactly what these profiles contain and how they're accessed is in this thingy
CODE
[b]*your social profile--[/b](this is your myspace page) others online can access this freely and this information can be anything you care to include it could be complete lies (I've got a great big Tonker!). The info is verified by actual social interaction. In addition anyone who looks at you can see that you're wearing Levis Jeans and Nike shoes.

[b]*Your Consumer profile--[/b](bank info, credit rating, employment history, in addition to all of the information you'll give when you buy something from Holostreets) Only retailers can access this information because you're NOT broadcasting; "my Chemical Bank account number is 8884458838." You ARE broadcasting a link to your bank/credit bureau with half of the verification needed to access some info from your file on the bank's/credit bureau’s database. The retailer provides the other half of the password. In the case that a purchase is made you confirm your intention with digital/biometric signature. However the retailer facilities can also see the broadcast of the RFID in your Nike shoes and Levi's jeans and if they trade info with nike they know which [i]exact[/i] pair of shoes and jeans your wearing. If you've burned the tags out of your clothes then the retailer can see that you're not wearing shoes and pants and you cant get into The Sev';)

Besides just looking at the clothes your wearing and scanning your Social profile, the retailer checks your ID against a Consumer Info Clearinghouse like Catalina Marketing Corp. (RL corp.) and sees every purchase you've made with every other Retailer that's hooked up to the same consumer tracking corp. If you buy something in that store that file is updated again and the next store will see it. The Retailer never needs to check your SIN with the GSINR. Because they can just trust your bank, they never need to hook up to the 'Social Security Office'. Where you've been and what you buy is a better description of who you are and what you want anyhow.

[b]*Your Legal Profile--[/b](your actual SIN number, other ID document numbers, Your license numbers, Social contracts; like titles, deeds, insurance numbers, registration numbers) By "some mechanism" only legally authorized  authorities can access this information even when you're in public mode. In this case you're broadcasting your actual 'account numbers' the actual SIN/license number. You have to do this every time you enter a Secure Government or Extraterritorial area. These entities are directly linked to the GSINR and the numbers you give them allow them to access ALL of your legal data. This data can also be cross checked with any info in your Social or Consumer profile by the same methods as those accessing your other profiles.
All of that leads me to Part B of my question
What keeps unauthorized parties from snagging your SIN # out of thin air and using it?

I feel like the actual SIN is less secure than the bank account info.

Edit: Damnit I can't figure how to do the spoiler thing sorry
WearzManySkins
If they are contained on your personal comm link, then a hacker/TM can change them to whatever they wish. As porous as Matrix Security is in 4th ed, it will not be that hard.

If you can upgrade the abilities of a comm link, what it has about your profiles can be "upgraded" too. biggrin.gif

That is where a Fake SIN comes in, the information from the Fake SIN is in your comm links profile. Have multiple fake SINs? then you can multiple profiles in your comm link.

As for you profiles being in an off the comm link database, again due to the porous nature of the Matrix, that too can be changed to match your fake SIN.

Better not piss off a good hacker/TM your profile could have sex offender-pedafile added to it, makes sure security types give you the love you deserve. biggrin.gif
mfb
QUOTE (hobgoblin)

i dont go around recalling long length, alphanumeric passwords to log into my bank.

so, how does encryption affect that?

in real life, if encryption were so easily broken, you probably wouldn't be able to log onto your bank remotely with a simple password at all. you'd use something else--in SR, watcher spirits might work pretty well, with some thought and preparation. not nearly as widespread or easily-accessed, of course, but it'd be a workable solution for large money transfers--which would, in the end, be the only transfers that took place.

i mean, going from quick, easy, electronic access to your funds to writing out physical checks? that's a pretty big change to authentication.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012