Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Really Big Pistol
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
WearzManySkins
Ok here is a revolver that fires the .600 Nitro Express Elephant Gun Cartridge.

Talk about recoil

Zeleska .600 Nitro Express Revolver

http://airbornecombatengineer.typepad.com/...ka_600_nit.html
psychophipps
I saw a video of a guy who bought a single-shot version of this pistol. Had this high-end scope on it and it was really nice...until he fired the thing and it tore from his hands to flip over his shoulder onto the pavement.

He stated on a forum later that he has no interest in ever firing his $3000 pistol again...
Mark(psycho)Phipps( HAHAHA! )
Kyoto Kid
...boy howdy, does KK want one of these!

Raygun, you there? Wanna stat this baby up?
WearzManySkins
Definitely need to be a Troll with lots of strength to deal with this pistol. smile.gif
mfb
i statted up something similar in SR3, using the CC FCG. i basically just took a sport rifle frame and gave it a cut-down barrel. i think i also gave it a cylinder instead of a magazine, which isn't technically legal, but whatever.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
Definitely need to be a Troll with lots of strength to deal with this pistol. smile.gif

...just got to have a good centre of gravity (which KK has), know how to brace, & use a two handed grip (which is why she wants only one).

I agree that there would be a Recoil penalty, but if you just tag someone with this baby it's pretty much good night.

This is no hand cannon, it's a hand assault cannon.
Method
Man, you gotta love YouTube.
Kyoto Kid
...needs a bullpup grip. I can't believe that dude was going to "one hand" it at first.
WearzManySkins
spending major amounts of money does not always assure one of having common sense<G>
Sterling
That was fragging HILARIOUS.

That's a gun for orks, trolls, and the heavily cybered.

Wait, I just realized... a pistol mounted in each cyberleg, aimed down... firing these rounds.. who needs hydraulic jacks!?
psykotisk_overlegen
The bullet is actually .620 inches in diameter, and is typically 900gr in weight.

That's just plain wrong. If you say that bullet is made of pure lead and is cylindrical it would be something like a third of a meter long. Or does gr mean something other than grams in non-metric? EDIT: gr=/=g as has been pointed out below

Wait, I just realized... a pistol mounted in each cyberleg, aimed down... firing these rounds.. who needs hydraulic jacks!?

People who like to land from a long fall without breaking their legs.
Spike
that is 900 grains, not grams. Not sure how grains translate over but I know they are small units of measure.
PBTHHHHT
supposedly accordingly to the ProKon conversion program:
1 gram = 15.432358352941431 grain

so 900 grains is 85.319 grams
Kyoto Kid
...which is roughly 1.88 oz of lead.
mfb
according to Google, 900 grains is 58.31 grams. lemme see if i can find out what 'grain' they use...
psykotisk_overlegen
Okay, my bad. gr=/=g

Grains sounds like an impractical unit of measurement, though not more so than pounds or inches.
Cain
QUOTE (psykotisk_overlegen @ May 30 2007, 08:15 AM)
Okay, my bad. gr=/=g

Grains sounds like an impractical unit of measurement, though not more so than pounds or inches.

Oh, you want to talk impractical? Here's a quote from the Terry Practhett book, Good Omens:

NOTE FOR YOUNG PEOPLE AND AMERICANS: One shilling = Five Pee. It helps to understand the antique finances of the Witchfinder Army if you know the original British monetary system:

Two farthings = One Ha'penny. Two ha'pennies = One Penny. Three pennies = A Thrupenny Bit. Two Thrupences = A Sixpence. Two Sixpences = One Shilling, or Bob. Two Bob = A Florin. One Florin and one Sixpence = Half a Crown. Four Half Crowns = Ten Bob Note. Two Ten Bob Notes = One Pound (or 240 pennies). One Pound and One Shilling = One Guinea.

The British resisted decimalized currency for a long time because they thought it was too complicated.
rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif
psykotisk_overlegen
That's a good book though, I still laugh when I think about the Paintball match where the demon transformed the markers to real guns. grinbig.gif
hobgoblin
QUOTE (mfb)
lemme see if i can find out what 'grain' they use...

woopie, talk about muddy water wink.gif

also, i wonder why its give as .600 when its the exact same thing as .60. as in, why the exta zero? marketing? classical case of "bigger number must indicate something better"?
Lagomorph
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ May 30 2007, 11:31 PM)
QUOTE (mfb @ May 30 2007, 04:00 PM)
lemme see if i can find out what 'grain' they use...

woopie, talk about muddy water wink.gif

also, i wonder why its give as .600 when its the exact same thing as .60. as in, why the exta zero? marketing? classical case of "bigger number must indicate something better"?

My understanding is that the 3rd digit usually indicates some kind of "versioning". I'm not a gun expert so my knowledge is limited in this area.

But to my knowledge a .223 bullet is the exact same diameter as a .22LR, and there is also .30-06, and .308 which are also the same size. Along with .50AE, .50 Baowulf, and .50 BMG. They may be in different shapes and different casings, but the diameter of the barrel is the same.

So if there were a different type of .60 diameter bullet, it would be a .601 or .602
WearzManySkins
It came from the elephant gun, that fires that caliber, typically a double barreled side by side, with break open action.

That elephant gun was called by its users the 600 Nitro Express, Nitro Express is the cartridge brand name at one time. FYI there is 500 Nitro Express round also.

The original version of the elephant gun, transmitted all of the recoil to the firer, if not correctly handled, it broke shoulders, and other injures.

Is it the most power of the so called elephant guns calibers, no others have taken its place. biggrin.gif Technology marches on. smile.gif
hobgoblin
ugh, makes me think of how octal is designated. with a leading 0...

so 013 and 13 can be two different things or something like that...
WearzManySkins
For the Nitro is was mostly spin, 600 sound more impressing than a 60. smile.gif

For their time, elephant guns were highly priced weapons, so one needed all the spin one could get, when trying to market such weapons to those with lots of disposable income. biggrin.gif
nezumi
Are bullets with a diameter in excess of .50 even legal? I know you need a background check for silencers and machine guns, but I didn't think you could get such big bullets even with a background check (since no maximum size would let you buy artillery if you wanted).
psykotisk_overlegen
QUOTE (nezumi @ May 31 2007, 08:29 AM)
Are bullets with a diameter in excess of .50 even legal?  I know you need a background check for silencers and machine guns, but I didn't think you could get such big bullets even with a background check (since no maximum size would let you buy artillery if you wanted).

Maybe the distinction lies in artillery firing explosive shells, and elephant guns firing big (but relative to artillery shells, rather smallish) lumps of lead.

I don't know, this would vary form country to country. In Norway you wouldn't be able to buy machine guns at all, background check or no.
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (nezumi)
Are bullets with a diameter in excess of .50 even legal? I know you need a background check for silencers and machine guns, but I didn't think you could get such big bullets even with a background check (since no maximum size would let you buy artillery if you wanted).

I know that shotguns that fire rifled slugs that large are illegal in most places in the US. As for pistols, I do not recall a limitation on bullet diameter.

Explosive rounds of any diameter are lets say restricted by Federal law.

WMS
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012