Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ENHANCEMENTS: IMPLANTS VS. ACCESSORIES
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
OneTrikPony
If I ever run a game I'm thinking of instituting these house rules
my questions:
1. Is this unfair to players, does it pick on any character archetype too much?
2. Is it readable and well writen?

ENHANCEMENTS: IMPLANTS VS. ACCESSORIES
External Accessories are not as effective as implanted biological modifications. Accessories like audio visual enhancement which can be worn as goggles, headphones or helmets do not grant as great a benefit as actual implanted modifications. Aud/Vis enhancements are caped at +1 in external accessories. As an external accessory vision magnification only applies to attacks out to Long Range and cannot reduce modifiers for Extreme Range targeting. (An exception is made for high power Scopes Actually mounted to the weapon.) Vision magnification worn as an external eye accessory does not eliminate Ranged Targeting Modifiers unless it is used with a targeting device such as a Smartlink or Laser sight. (A shooter cannot focus on iron sights while looking through binoculars.)

Neither implanted nor worn external vision modifications apply when using a gun scope. Thermographic, Lowlight, Ultrasound and Vision Magnification must be accessories on the scope when a scope is used for ranged targeting.

TAKE AIM ACTION
Modification to Rule: BBB, pp. 137; (Take Aim)
The number of consecutive Take Aim actions that can be applied to any ranged attack is limited by the attacker’s situation. From a lying or “Rested� position, (the character is resting the weapon on top of a stable object, Bipod, Tripod or the weapon mount of an unmoving vehicle), up to 4 consecutive Take Aim Actions can be applied to the Ranged Attack test. From a seated or kneeling position up to 3 consecutive Take Aim Actions can be applied. From an “Offhand� or standing position only 2 consecutive Take Aim Actions Can be applied to the Ranged Attack Test. Note: that some weapons, such as Bows and man portable launch weapons, cannot be fired from a Rested position. A character may use a Take Aim Action during Running movement (including Vehicular Running, see: Vehicle Combat; BBB, pp. 158) In this case the attackers situation is counted to be Offhand or standing and only 2 consecutive Take Aim Actions may be applied to the Range Attack Test.

ASTRAL SIGNATURE:
[an addition to the magic rule; BBB, pp. 182-183: “ASTRAL SIGNATURES� ]
A signature also effects the Mage who produced it. The mage’s astral form will show a signature that lasts for a number of minutes equal to the magical effect’s force after the effect ends. This Signature may also be erased by taking a number of Complex Actions equal to the force of the signature. Removal of the signature on the astral form may be performed at the same time as removal of the signature at the site if the mage is at the locus of the magical effect.

[note: this is essentially a magical “smoking gun.� Casting a spell then wiping the signature from the site and your astral form is the magical equivalent of shooting someone then wiping the room and gun for prints before dumping the gun. If you don’t clean up the next person to see you will see you holding a smoking gun.]

I'm also kicking around some matrix rules that I haven't writen up yet.
VR grants +1 to matrix perception tests
Active reality filter grants +1 matrix perception tests (and maybe browse tests on the local node only)
Technomancers get the normal +2 to all matrix perception tests (this superseeds and does not stack with the bonus from running in VR but they can gain a bonus from an active Reality Filter CF)
The maximum IP a character can have through trodes or manual input devices is 2 IP.

Thanks for your thoughts
Moon-Hawk
Enhancements: Sounds like a fine set of house rules that will add emphasis to implants over accessories.

Take Aim: Ick. First off, if my eyes glaze and my mind wanders while I'm reading the rule, we're off to a bad start. That said, are the limits imposed replacing the limit of half skill, or just an additional cap? Is this rule really adding much to the game, other than complexity? Personally, I see this rule being cumbersome and adding very little, so I'd probably just skip it.

Astral signature: Basically, if a mage casts fragball, instead of just having the fragballed area holding a signature that can link back to the mage, you want an astral neon sign over his head that says "fragballer" for a few hours, unless he erases it? Sure, why not? I guess the intended effect here is to force the magicians to spend more time cleaning up signatures. Of course, there's either no big rush, in which case the magicians just cleans everything up, or they're in a huge rush because guys are already on to them, in which case the "smoking gun" is somewhat superfluous. So again I'm questioning whether this rule will add much to your game, but this rule is also very simple, so I really have no objection to it either.

VR: Sure, VR can take any edge over AR it can get. wink.gif

Reality Filter: I'd avoid this, too many perception test modifiers to keep track of. Reality filter is already cool.

Technos: So, in terms of perception they can do all the same stuff as everyone else, and now they've lost their +2 advantage? Too cruel, technos don't need any nerfing. I know it's a small thing, but c'mon, you're just kicking a puppy lightly. wink.gif

Max IP in AR: Personally, I hate the idea of the 4 IP trode hacker, so I'm in support of this, but the way you have it phrased is somewhat problematic. I like the spirit of this rule, but perhaps not the execution. Are you trying to make VR better than AR, or are you trying to make datajacks better than trodes? It sounds like you're trying to make datajacks better than trodes. Which is cool. However, I'm a little confused about what happens to any remaining IPs. If the sammie (4 IPs) needs to hack (using trodes or manual input) during a firefight your rule limits him to 2 IPs. What happened to his other 2? Does he lose them completely, or can he continue to shoot guys with those 2 IPs, and can only hack with (up to) 2 IPs?

edited: because it was a scary block of text
OneTrikPony
Thanks Moon Hawk J that’s exactly the type of critique I wanted. That really helps.
For some reason I’ve never seen this; (BBB, pp. 137)
The maximum number of sequential Take Aim actions a character may take is equal to one half the character’s skill…
So I’ll be dropping my house rule.

Over all my goal is to enrich the astral environment in my game. My goal with the Astral Signature is 3 fold;
*First I’m working to develop a number of astral threats and encounters that will (hopefully) make the astral world as alive and compelling as the meat world or the Matrix. One of these threats is called a Spirit Swarm. A Spirit Swarm is attracted to astral signatures with a strong emotional context like Pain, Anger, Fear, Ecstasy. They’ll swarm the source of this signature and “eat� it like FAB does. There are not enough astral lions tigers and bears for my taste. The mage’s astral signature is a mechanic I’d use like “the scent of prey� to attract astral predators.
*Second I want to highlight the effects that manipulation of mana has on the astral world and make the mage character constantly aware of his astral form. I really like the idea that powerful spells have a lingering effect on the astral so I’ve extended that idea to the caster’s astral form. I got busted for fighting in school once because I had blood on me. I was nowhere near the scene but I hadn’t cleaned up yet.
*Third I want players to be conscious and careful about their actions. The effect of the astral signature on the mages astral form only lasts minutes, (not hours), because the astral form is living and mutable. If a spell leaves a mark on the world it ought to leave a mark on the mage that channeled the energy. The mage can clean herself up at the scene while she cleans the scene, or she can run for it and clean herself up later, or she can just run and ignore it entirely. Being more careful eliminates the small chance, (5+ hits on an assenceing test), that she’ll be caught running from the scene but increases the chance that she’ll be discovered at the scene. This forces a decision from the character and increases tension in the game.

About Matrix Perception tests:
I’m still working on writing them up so some things might be ironed out when I actually get that done. I do realize that the +1 perception in VR nerfs the TM a bit. The TM is still better at matrix perception than the VR hacker, (by one die), and by my reading of RAW the TM gets his perception bonus in AR also. I’m scared to allow my VR perception rule to stack with the normal TM perception rule because they already have a scary number of die in that pool.

I’m surprised to hear that you like the RAW Reality Filter. It seems to me to have no playable effect.
If you have System 5 Response 5 you can run 4 utilities.
If you have System 5, Response 5, a Reality Filter that is “active� (by which I mean it beat the node in an opposed test) you can have response 6 and run 3 utilities or you can have Response 5 and run 4 utilities.
It seems to me that fewer active utilities means that you spend more simple and complex actions to Swap utilities so you’ve just wasted most of your Reality Filter Response increase (given that the RF managed to win the opposed roll in the first place)

Whereas the fluff function of the Reality Filter is to translate the native VR metaphor into something that your mind understands more intuitively I thought that it makes more sense that its effect would grant a bonus to the way you perceive that environment—effectively bumping the rating of your computer skill by one die for Analyze tests, (and possibly Browse tests.) So, since the Reality filter translates what you experience it gives a bonus to what you perceive.

With the IP cap I’m trying to show that DNI is better than Trodes or external devices for running in VR and AR. AR gloves and your Comlink’s scroll wheel are not as fast as DNI in AR. Trodes and goggles do not transmit simsense fast/accurately enough for you to have the same speed that you have using DNI in VR.

A 4 IP sammy can sit in an alley making a quick and dirty AR hack attempt on a building’s security. Because he’s just using goggles and gloves he can only use 2 of his 4 IP in the matrix. He can do what ever he wants with the other IP in the physical world. I thought that was the point of AR in the new system. If he were in VR using trodes, he wouldn’t be using his physical initiative. Because he’s using trodes rather than DNI his Matrix Initiative is caped at 2IP even if he’s running Hot Sim. Now I just need to find a way to write that effectively.

Sorry for the supper long post, Below is just my ranting about the setting.

I have big problems with the Setting’s Matrix User Interface.
As the setting stands now the Sammie with #3 Wires or the, (Gag!), “Hacker Adept� could have 4 IP simply by using the scroll wheel on his Comlink. I cannot tolerate that. Furthermore I just don’t understand how Trodes work as GUI. I have seen and understand the RL precedent for manipulating machines by modulating your brainwaves. I think the idea of moving my mouse without touching it is cool. What I can’t get my head around is the idea that painting nanites on my head somehow allows them to project high resolution 3D graphics into my visual cortex. The only way that *might* be possible is by somehow focusing tons of tiny electrical currents at specific groups of cells in the back of my brain. Given that we understand how sensory information is formed and routed in the brain trodes would still require an unreal amount of calibration every time you put them on. I don’t think it’s possible to introduce Simsence experiences through trodes. However, since I personally want simsence to happen IRL, I bow to the ability of DNI to produce simsence.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (OneTrikPony)
I’m surprised to hear that you like the RAW Reality Filter. It seems to me to have no playable effect.
If you have System 5 Response 5 you can run 4 utilities.
If you have System 5, Response 5, a Reality Filter that is “active� (by which I mean it beat the node in an opposed test) you can have response 6 and run 3 utilities or you can have Response 5 and run 4 utilities.

Glad to help.

I like your astral space ideas a lot. I agree that there aren't enough astral lions, tiger, and bears. smile.gif

Regarding the quote, if you have Sys 5, Response 5, and a Reality Filter running, you're right you can have a response 6 and 3 other utilities, or you can run up to 8 other programs before your Response drops below 5.
Look:
Base response is 5, +1 for reality filter is 6. 9 programs running (including reality filter), but you lose a point of response for every System number of programs running. The first 5 programs drop your effective response back to a 5, and the remaining 4 aren't enough to effect it.
Of course, if the reality filter fails, then suddenly you end up with response of only 4. So it's a bit of a gamble; you run the reality filter in order to either get a tiny response boost, or to run more programs than you otherwise could without losing response, but you run the risk of the filter not working and you lose some speed.
I'm not sure I like them, but it seems like a balanced gambit to me. I'm not really against your rule, giving the reality filter a bit of a boost isn't, IMO, unbalancing, I just think you're pushing too many things to keep track of. That's a LOT of sources of perception modifiers. It's not a bad idea, though.

I think limiting trodes is a fine idea. I agree that the 4IP scroll wheel of doom beating the hot sim VR hacker datajack causes me pain. But some people are caused the same pain by a datajack-using AR user beating said hot sim VR hacker, too, so I wanted to be clear what we were talking about.
Maybe when rewording your rule on that, you should express it as something like: only 2 complex or 4 simple actions may be applied to matrix actions in a single turn when using trodes. (with no limit beyond the normal limits on Free actions, 'cause I'm nice).
If you try to break it up by IP, you lose the possibility of firing a single shot from behind cover and using a simple action to hack in the same pass, and that's just cool. smile.gif
OneTrikPony
Look:
Base response is 5, +1 for reality filter is 6. 9 programs running (including reality filter), but you lose a point of response for every System number of programs running. The first 5 programs drop your effective response back to a 5, and the remaining 4 aren't enough to effect it.

EXCELENT! Thanks for setting me right on that. Don't know why it's so hard for me to get these things. (I had to draw what you wrote on paper.) I'll leave Reality Filters Alone.

I think limiting trodes is a fine idea. I agree that the 4IP scroll wheel of doom beating the hot sim VR hacker datajack causes me pain. But some people are caused the same pain by a datajack-using AR user beating said hot sim VR hacker.
Good Point. That's a stupid rules artifact. If you use a datajack for AR there is no way your phisical initiative can apply. this is driveing me nuts
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012