Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [RL] Powdered RFID tags
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Glayvin34
Hitachi has just made some microscopic RFID tags.

http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/Science-Fict...asp?NewsNum=939

This article has the shot from Mission Impossible I where that gorgeous woman puts the little tag on the government computer worker. That thing looks massive.

And this article talks about digestible tags that they can put in sushi. So you eat what you want, then they scan your stomach.

http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/Science-Fict...asp?NewsNum=197
kzt
The requirement for an external antenna to read at more than contact distance sort of changes how you look at RFID chips.

For example, the mu chip requires an external antenna (vastly larger than the chip) to be able to read the chip at the maximum range of 25 cm.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (kzt)
The requirement for an external antenna to read at more than contact distance sort of changes how you look at RFID chips.

For example, the mu chip requires an external antenna (vastly larger than the chip) to be able to read the chip at the maximum range of 25 cm.

True.
QUOTE (The linked article)
It's not clear from the references provided, but even if this chip needs an external antenna, the attached antenna would be a tiny ribbon of wire more narrow than a human hair and only a fraction of an inch long.

So it's not like a set of rabbit-ears or anything. Harder to put it into food or something, but still viable for most products.
kzt
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)

QUOTE (The linked article)
It's not clear from the references provided, but even if this chip needs an external antenna, the attached antenna would be a tiny ribbon of wire more narrow than a human hair and only a fraction of an inch long.

So it's not like a set of rabbit-ears or anything. Harder to put it into food or something, but still viable for most products.

Scroll to the bottom of http://www.hitachi.co.jp/Prod/mu-chip/p0001.html and look at the relative sizes shown in the two drawings. It's not a teeny tiny antenna, it's fairly wide and quite long. This matches passive antennas I have seen before. You could probably do a narrower antenna, but costs and failure rates are going to shoot skyward.

I'm not doubting you can put into a sheet of paper, but you need the antenna to get even a minimal range out of it, like a few inches.
Moon-Hawk
I understand. The antenna is significantly larger than the RFID tag, and it's generally silly to consider less than the total package.
Even so, we're still only talking about something the size of a hair. It's long, not wide. In the picture you linked, the wide part is the "carrying article", which can be the paper, or the cloth, or the fish, or whatever.
Also, the antenna doesn't necessarily have to remain stright, either. It'll hurt the range, but it could still function if it were part of a flexibile material.
Glayvin34
I instantly thought of the RFID mist that is mentioned somewhere in the security section of the BBB. I have no idea how much Hatchi's tags run, but the tech isn't far away from tagging intruders. And even if the range is only 25cm, it would work fine for doorway scanners and handheld scanners.

Geez, how did Orwell know this stuff? Are we that obvious as a species? I guess so.
kzt
QUOTE (Glayvin34 @ May 31 2007, 01:14 PM)
  And even if the range is only 25cm, it would work fine for doorway scanners and handheld scanners.

The range (with the much larger antenna) is 25 cm. Without the antenna it's probably only contact. An RFID tag antenna shorter then multiple wavelengths of the the RF you use to poll the RFID tag will have really crappy range. 0.1mm is the wavelength of infrared light.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Glayvin34)
Are we that obvious as a species?  I guess so.
QUOTE (Politics as Repeat Phenomenon: Bene Gesserit Training Manual)
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristocratic forms. No government in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, government tends more and more to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class -- whether that class be hereditary royalty, oligarchs of financial empires, or entrenched bureaucracy.
hyzmarca
You know what's really fun, taking these and coating them with an explosive designed to go off if the RFID transmits a signal. You wouldn't need to be in range of the RFID, you'd just need a transmitter powerful enough to reach it from your location.
OneTrikPony
this is makeing me think that SR RFID should have signal rating of 0 (3m range) instead of the blanket device rating of 1 (40m range)
Agree?
HappyDaze
signal 0 sounds good to me
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (OneTrikPony @ May 31 2007, 06:12 PM)
this is makeing me think that SR RFID should have signal rating of 0 (3m range) instead of the blanket device rating of 1 (40m range)
Agree?

This should actually be the case.

The text in the equipment section predates Signal Rating 0, which was added during playtesting (I strongly argued for it, since I thought a 40m range for personal tags and intra-PAN devices was excessive and illogical). The equipment section should say that RFID tags can be found in Signal Rating 0 and Signal Rating 1 varieties, with the later being larger, active RFID tags.

I'll try to get this corrected in errata.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012