Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you handle mind control?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
deek
A player rerolled a character in our last game and now has a mage that is focusing on a few manipulation spells. Reading the description of Control Thoughts, I am left wondering if anyone else feels this might be too powerful.

I mean, what stops the mage (or makes it more difficult) from commanding anyone to shoot themselves in the face? I mean, many characters are going to have a tough time beating a magic + spellcasting test with just willpower and the fact that manipulation spells have such a long time between attempt to break it (combat turns equal to force)...

For example, a force 4 Control Thoughts is only 4S drain, and a mage with 8 dice going against a Will 4 opponent should likely get at least a single net hit...so with the opponent say, having 2 IPs, that is the mage telling him to shoot himself to 8 IPs before he gets to try and shake it off again...no one is going to survive that...

And it gets even worse with Mob Mind...
Backgammon
Consider if the mage had taken stunbolt instead. He'd be wasting 1 dude every action anyway.

Mind Control is indeed a very powerful spell, but it has certain limits. Targets get to resist. Targets will remember they were controlled - and will most definitely hold it against the character. It leaves signature.

Sorry for the distasteful comparison, but Control Though is like raping someone without a condom - you're leaving one very angry person with evidence the cops can use against you.

Roleplay-wise, mind rapists are probably not well thought of. Obviously, in the shadows, a large number won't give a shit what you do to people. But the character will probably meet some, other mages, or anyone with a conscience, who is going to find the character very, very distasteful, and it may cause problems for him.
deek
True on the stunbolt, but maybe that is hypocritical of me, not being bothered by that...I agree, the mage may have a very bad rep because of mind raping, but so well about any runner that is murdering victims without too much remorse.

I thought I had read something stating that you couldn't force someone to do direct harm to oneself, or there would be some resistance if commanded to say, shoot your mother, but it seems like there is nothing. And even at a low force, the amount of combat turns to wait before trying to shake it off...that's a long time...

I do understand that the spell is not going to last a whole lot of time, and if the target survives, well, they are not going to be happy...but I could see a lot of mages using this kind of spell to not leave many alive...
kzt
We choose to ban it, it was too abusive.
toturi
Combine with Alter Memory for best results.
Kyoto Kid
...I usually resort to high powered automatic weaponry targeted at the offending mage. grinbig.gif
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...I usually resort to high powered automatic weaponry targeted at the offending mage. grinbig.gif

Its a mage, no need for high powered, merely automatic weaponry will do. biggrin.gif
sunnyside
Actually I don't have a problem so much with control thoughts. I rule that the character still realizes they were being controlled afterwards, just that they are unable to do the willpower modifier during the spells effect.

Also I typically reserve the use of edge by NPC to situations where they would really be giving it their all. So if they're told to do something really bad they may pop out the edge.

Regardless of edge the play character doesn't know when the spell will wear off and when it does expect trouble. Plus it distracts the mage using it.

That being said the spell "influence" is a bit more of a pain. I'm a bit liberal in deciding what constitues "being confronted with the wrongness", probably to the point of going past raw.

Still there are many many ways to abuse the spells, and I don't generally like them.

Regardless however people in the sixth world are very aware of the LOS requirments for all spells. Notice how due to guns security enclosements use bulletproof glass instead of simple bars? Same thing with magic. Whenever possible security personel are looking through cameras and the like as opposed to looking out of windows, especially two way windows.

And security vehicles never EVER

EVER

have their drivers or passengers visible. And due to sniper rifles when possible the riggers aren't even in front of windows.
HappyDaze
And security vehicles never EVER

EVER

have their drivers or passengers visible.

Just last night we had this exact thing come up. Waiting armored limo with driver in a parking lot - the group's hacker did his thing and just had the driver's window roll down. Magician with a held action popped Control Thoughts on the driver before he could react. All of this done as the team was covered by Concealment from a friendly Spirit.

As the GM, I was pretty happy with the way they handled it.
sunnyside
That sounds about right for an armored limo. Remember control thoughts typically only lasts for about a minute, but I'm guessing that was plenty of time.
Backgammon
I remember a passge somewhere in a book, possibly an SR2 book, that stated that cars had tinted windows because people were mage-conscious.

Well, that's a detail the the Control Thought issue though.

IMO, using Control Thought as a combat spell, whereas you either turn the guy against his friends or force him to incapacitate himself, is a powerful effect, but other combat spells are potentially more deadly.

CT is powerful when it comes down to coercing people into helping you. But then, you are faced with a decision - if you don't kill them, they WILL hate you and report you (to someone.. cops, their boss, whatever).

If you have to go around killing everyone you need info from, you aren't going to do very well on the long run. Good old fashio social skills to convince people to help you work much better.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Jun 5 2007, 10:19 AM)
...I usually resort to high powered automatic weaponry targeted at the offending mage.    grinbig.gif

Its a mage, no need for high powered, merely automatic weaponry will do. biggrin.gif

...yeah, but I do so love the "Pink Cloud Effect".
Ravor
You know, I personally I believe that Mind Rapists would be considered the lowest of the low and never trusted for one simple reason, how do you know that he hasn't mind raped you?

Because in the very least, if a fellow Runner betrays you, assuming that you survive then you can enact revenge, but with a Mind Rapist you might never know so its better to geek him now instead of taking the chance.

... Yeah I understand that rules-wise Alter Memory isn't permentant, but considering that almost everybody gets their idea of what magic can and can not do from 'Karl Combat-Mage' its a safe bet that the non-magical crowd won't know that.

And besides, even if they do realize what Alter Memory is and is not capable of the spell is still long term enough to be effectively permentant with some upkeep.
Wasabi
How to make Control Thoughts less influential:

1. Have investigators assense the signature so they can identify the caster astrally
2. Have enemy mages use Dispelling to remove the Control Thoughts
3. Make sure the controlling mage has to spend an action to control the target. That turns it into a 2-pass kill... one to cast and one to command.
4. Wards. They're free to make and allow bullets to pass riiiight through. smile.gif
5. Guardian/Guidance/Plant spirits can all Counterspell and Dispel. They make mages cringe en masse.
6. Astral Static spells limit hits and add to drain via their Background Count. Sometimes its better to turn all mages 'off' than to exchange blows.
7. Mob Mind your henchman. If they are then Mob Minded again its a GM call how to handle it but at a minimum it allows a mage to do nothing but repeat "Minions, stick to the plan I made!" in order to counteract previous orders. Based on houserules this might even allow a higher force casting to negate lower force castings but thats not canon AFAIK.
8. Control Thoughts the enemy Mind Controller. Spend Edge, etc., then make him your little buddy and turn him on his fellows.

Lastly, an opposing thought... Decrease Willpower synergizes the very very best with Control thoughts. It gives them one die (if you cast well enough) to negate the Control Thoughts which in effect extends the duration.

IMO Control Thoughts/Mob Mind are powergaming spells best suited to small groups of players in grave danger, not 8-10 man shadowruns.

Hope that helps!
laughingowl
A good alternative if you think they are too powerfull.

1) Require a theshold equal to the subjects Willpower.

Makes it far more likely to be resisted (and if it lands, last correspondingly shorter period).

2) If the sbuejct (as a complex action gets a chance to resist every force combat turns), Then rule that is at the 'start'.

So actions would be like this:

Turn ! Phase 1:

Mage A Control Thoughts Driver of Limo. Suceeds with X net hits.

Limo Driver spends his complex Action on resisting mental domination.

Turn 1 Phase 2+

Mage A could use a simple action to tell person to do something.

Limo Driver (unlikely to have multiple initiate passes can do anything).

Turn 2 Phase 1:

If mage hasnt before, Mage could use simple action to give a order.

Limo Driver: Does what ever mage orders.

So the mage has to wait atleast a pass, pssibliy a full turn before the 'intructed' action could take place. This gives a chance for others to notice / disrupt / take actions before something is done.

3) While the spell can be 'sustained' without LOS, I belive orders would require LOS (and potentially LOS to what ever needed to be done).

The first precednce would be Area Effect sustained spells. While they can be sustained from anywhere. To 'move' them (or change them) they require LOS. I would think giving orders would be much the same way.

Likewise.

The order "Open the window" I would think they caster would need to see how to open the window. (If the caster "directs everything the target does", I would think "open window' would work, but rather "reach your hand out press the little buttton X on side console until window is up" would be required, unless they caster knows 'how' to open window they couldnt direct everything necessary to open window.

Any of those three (or all three) would begin to limit Control Action / Thoughts if you have a problem with them.
deek
Well, I think they "can" be too powerful...I suppose that can be debatable, but based on RAW, its awfully easy to command someone to "kill yourself" when no counterspelling is active. I suppose that anyone as a target would be using edge on that test by default, as I don't know of many that would ever want to lose control of their thoughts/actions.

I feel that most runners in a group with someone with this spell, could feel just as save as their sammy running around with a tac-nuke in their back pocket...at least, that is how I am perceiving my group thinking. But I don't want to just get rid of the spell...it just seems it is so easy to abuse these spells...I don't know.

I do like your suggestion of using a threshold...that would make it more fair, IMO. I'm still thinking about stuff here...and I am also thinking that the issue I have end up being with the player...but seeing that the spell is so open to abuse, I'd figure there would have been more GMs having issues with it...
Dayhawk
One of my players powergames alot and mind control is his biggest tool.

What I have found which works well is Riggers.

If they spot that several guards stop fighting and lay down on the ground, they start going mage hunting.
deek
Yeah, I guess I am not so worried about NPCs.

I think that is why I am coming to the point of thinking it really is a player issue, because the group is wondering "what if" this mage turns at one of them. They see that they really have no defense against him, even those with good Willpower, and in less than a combat turn, they can be forced to fire four rounds at themselves...that's just not cool...
Backgammon
That's fine. Let the players worry. As was being said, this is one of the repercussions of mind raping people left and right. People don't trust you. They fear you. And when People With Guns fear something, they usually shoot it dead. Let the mage learn that lesson. Seems perfectly reasonnable to me, and very much in-character.

Hell, I would even have NPCs whispering in the other PCs ears "what if he turns on you... you gotta be ready... strike first....". I'd totally encourage that kind of distrust.
deek
QUOTE (Backgammon)
That's fine. Let the players worry. As was being said, this is one of the repercussions of mind raping people left and right. People don't trust you. They fear you. And when People With Guns fear something, they usually shoot it dead. Let the mage learn that lesson. Seems perfectly reasonnable to me, and very much in-character.

Hell, I would even have NPCs whispering in the other PCs ears "what if he turns on you... you gotta be ready... strike first....". I'd totally encourage that kind of distrust.

Yeah, it does make for an awesome story, from my perspective.

And its funny, in a way, as the same player, just ended up rerolling this character because his old one (which I NPC'd this past session) was distrusted and risking the group's lives due to taking some party flaws at chargen to up his cyber. And in our last session, his old character, was shot down by his own party...

So, I am now seeing the pattern that it is the player, not the rules or the character, that is in question, as his first session with a new character, is already getting questions from the rest of the group...
Eryk the Red
I actually haven't had problems with mind control. The group's mage took Control Thoughts during chargen, and he's had a couple of significant successes using it. Most of the time when he's used it, it wasn't a big deal. A couple of times he used it, failed, and then got thrashed by the drain. It's actually been pretty balanced. He's scared to try to use it on anyone really important, because he knows they'll have magical defenses. He mostly uses it on mooks to cause extra chaos.
Dayhawk
QUOTE (deek @ Jun 6 2007, 10:25 AM)
And its funny, in a way, as the same player, just ended up rerolling this character because his old one (which I NPC'd this past session) was distrusted and risking the group's lives due to taking some party flaws at chargen to up his cyber.  And in our last session, his old character, was shot down by his own party...

So, I am now seeing the pattern that it is the player, not the rules or the character, that is in question, as his first session with a new character, is already getting questions from the rest of the group...

In my experience I have never found it good for players to be killing each others characters.

Except when I ran a 60 person Larp for 4 1/2 years. In that case, it was the norm.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Dayhawk)

..had a player that did the same. The character's take was "why bother learning to shoot a gun when you could make others do it for you...?"

Almost single handedly wiped out several Vory soldiers during one session by getting them to shoot at each other.
deek
QUOTE (Dayhawk)
In my experience I have never found it good for players to be killing each others characters.

Except when I ran a 60 person Larp for 4 1/2 years. In that case, it was the norm.

Heh...I whole-heartedly agree...its not a good thing...the root of the issue is that this player took some negative qualities that hurt the group and it was getting worse and worse, as they were being tracked by UCAS assassins...it was just getting to be more of a hassle for the group to operate, so the player rolled a new character.

Because I am all about the plot, I kept the ex-PC in the group, but the first hint of a slip-up, the group terminated him...which they kinda wanted to do anyways, but because it was a player, they didn't, they just dealt with his in-character mistakes.

But now, I fear that the group is worried that the new PC could screw things up even more, from a group dynamic standpoint...so we will see how it all works out. The player is okay with me banning the spell, but I don't want to because it is a good spell and I'd like to use it for NPCs on occaision...its really a player issue...
deek
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
QUOTE (Dayhawk)

..had a player that did the same. The character's take was "why bother learning to shoot a gun when you could make others do it for you...?"

Almost single handedly wiped out several Vory soldiers during one session by getting them to shoot at each other.

I've got no problem with this...as NPCs I can create a dime a dozen, even powerful ones...the players though...not the same. One player turns on another, and now there are issues in and out of the game...and this spell used on another player...well...we'll just have to see...

Maybe this one player is okay with having to reroll every 5 or so sessions because he doesn't play well with others:)
Dayhawk
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)

Haha that's cool.

It's nice when people get creative.

This is an example of a tactic I would love to turn on the PC's, but again you can't have PC vs PC even with a DM plot.

No one minds that other characters are ass kickers, but when someone else character kicks your butt, it just makes your character seem.... weak.

Hmm that gets me thinking...
fool
the problem with pc's attacking other pc's is that shadowrun is a deadly game, and no one likes having their character killed, esp. if that character has been around for a awhile.
My last session (I was a player) started with this kind of fight between new players and old, needless to say the newbies were outgunned and nearly got killed (though technically they probably geeked one of the mages, the gm didn't notice. and things did not go well for the entire session when we were supposed to work together afterwards.
fool
on a different note, I as a gm once tried a session where the pc's were up against a team of shadowrunners who were those same players retired characters. that one was interesting, but the new pc's were' really experienced enough yet, so I had to fudge some dice rolls. That was back in SR3, and the k pools were just too different.
fool
oh yeah I forgot. The way we dealt with mind control spells was to eliminate them from the game, but compulsion power for critters was still allowed.
Too much trouble to really go through all the steps of adding extra reasons that people might be able to shake off the spell, just get rid of it.
Most of my mages don't know how to use a gun.
"gun, yeah I got a gun, it's called powerbolt." "Say hello to my leeeetle freind" said as a spirit engulfs the target.
Warlordtheft
Isn't this why every good shadowrunnner knows to geek the mage first?

laughingowl
Don't elemintate mind control.

If you feel the are too powerful an a theshold equal to the targets willpower..

Immediately taking off 2-6 sucesses means:

1) Higher force is required to get enough hits (to beat willpower AFTER resitance test (for most).

2) 'Strong willed' indviduals are much harder to control / dominate.

Weakens then significantly without totally removing them.
deek
QUOTE (laughingowl)
Don't elemintate mind control.

If you feel the are too powerful an a theshold equal to the targets willpower..

Immediately taking off 2-6 sucesses means:

1) Higher force is required to get enough hits (to beat willpower AFTER resitance test (for most).

2) 'Strong willed' indviduals are much harder to control / dominate.

Weakens then significantly without totally removing them.

Yeah, at this point, if I need to houserule, I'll add the threshold option. My current direction is just let the player know the kind of reactions he should expect from anyone being controlled. As long as he understands that trying to control one of his teammates will likely get him killed by the rest, then I think I have the balance that I want...
Wiseman
Yeah, I guess I am not so worried about NPCs.

I think that is why I am coming to the point of thinking it really is a player issue, because the group is wondering "what if" this mage turns at one of them. They see that they really have no defense against him, even those with good Willpower, and in less than a combat turn, they can be forced to fire four rounds at themselves...that's just not cool...

Yea NPC's are balanced by numbers and not limited to character creation and advancement limits really. Though stretching it, you could have a Mage Society hunt down the brain rapist for giving magic a bad name.

Brain raping and thought reading are the exact things that make mundanes queasy around mages. "Did he make me do that?". Hell most don't know the limitations so they assume he can take over your mind and you'd never know and it'd last forever.

Scary stuff.

But in specific regards to PC's....uh WHAT?

If the mage is using bad spells on teammates than thats blatant abuse. No different than the Sammy shooting the mage point blank in the head while he's astrally projecting somewhere. Players are supposed to work together and this is akin to in D&D the rogue stealing the wizards book or picking the party's pockets. Yes it do-able but a gamemaster no-no to allow this behavior.

When people start ruining other peoples fun for the benefit of their imaginary character's ego than I take drastic measures.

Mind raping PC's gets you lots of notoriety fast even if you did alter memory. You might not have altered everyones and even suspecting a mage doing this can get him killed (even if it wasn't true).

If I had no other avenue, I'd consider their flagrant abuse of magic to anger the spirits and payback is coming either in the form of a free spirit who witnessed it from concealment or a summoned spirit who resists the characters will constantly because of dislike.

Mages vs no mages NPC group is part of the game sometimes and what make up for their squishy nature and huge investment into magic vs more combat or specialized roles.

Mage vs PC at best is going to find game play difficult for the above reasons or will simply get kicked out of my group.
deek
Mind you, with the current mage, there has not been an "turning on PCs", but fear of that. Everyone is taking a look at their characters and re-reading the rules to see if anyone is missing something, as no one things it should be this easy for a mage to take control of a person...but it is appearing to be that it is this easy.

I agree with you, Wiseman...I will certainly be talking to our mage about this prospect, letting him know how dangerous this fire is that he seems to want to play with. He already agreed that if I wanted to ban it, that he is fine with that, but as I mentioned above, I'd rather not ban it, I'd rather he not "want" to use it on other PCs that are suppose to be working as a team...

We'll just have to see. I know that no one in the group is afraid to take the mage out on a whim...its just that I am not used to running groups where one player is okay with turning on his own team. I mean, I've played characters that would mess with a player on occaision, but it was in the spirit of the game...
hyzmarca
PCs mind-raping each other is significantly more acceptable then PCs physically raping each other in most games. It is, as has been stated, equal to any other antagonistic action and it depends very much on the style of game that your goign for. SOme people like PC antagonism.

Yes, spells that work on NPCs do work on PCs, as well. Mind control is not the problem when it comes to PC interactions. Social skill tests are the problem, particularly the inappropriate use of them. I'd be far less concerned about the mage makign the Samurai commit suicide than I would be about the Pronomancer turning the Samurai gay using improperly implemented social skills.
Wiseman
Mind you, with the current mage, there has not been an "turning on PCs", but fear of that. Everyone is taking a look at their characters and re-reading the rules to see if anyone is missing something, as no one things it should be this easy for a mage to take control of a person...but it is appearing to be that it is this easy.

I agree with you, Wiseman...I will certainly be talking to our mage about this prospect, letting him know how dangerous this fire is that he seems to want to play with. He already agreed that if I wanted to ban it, that he is fine with that, but as I mentioned above, I'd rather not ban it, I'd rather he not "want" to use it on other PCs that are suppose to be working as a team...

We'll just have to see. I know that no one in the group is afraid to take the mage out on a whim...its just that I am not used to running groups where one player is okay with turning on his own team. I mean, I've played characters that would mess with a player on occaision, but it was in the spirit of the game...

Ah I got you. Well to me it sounds like perfect RP stuff there. The group mage gives the others the jitters cause who knows what he's really capable of. This is a perfectly acceptable mundane reaction, similar to how I'd feel if my friends carried big guns. Sure they're my friends but it's kind of scary besides.

I think its fine to even threaten it once in awhile, and I'd threaten worse things too like ominous references to things like "voidspheres" and "soul imprisonment". Its part of the character (or could be rather).

I'm just as scared as a cybered-psychotic troll with wired reflexes he just had "adjusted". Or the damn sneaky hacker/TM who always makes vague references about other players past surgeries or living expenses. Shadowrunners should work together of course, Players should trust each other, their characters are supposed to be paranoid/suspicious. Your there to ensure they don't get confused which is which.

Sounds like a great group dynamic as long as you spread the love (or fear) a little evenly.

toturi
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
I'd be far less concerned about the mage makign the Samurai commit suicide than I would be about the Pronomancer turning the Samurai gay using improperly implemented social skills.

Pornomancer pwnz mind rape mage. love.gif
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (toturi)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jun 8 2007, 05:40 AM)
I'd be far less concerned about the mage makign the Samurai commit suicide than I would be about the Pronomancer turning the Samurai gay using improperly implemented social skills.

Pornomancer pwnz mind rape mage. love.gif

Tragic but true.
Although, I guess it all comes down to initiative.
Pornomancer and Mind-Rape Mage are walking down two dark, deserted alleys. They meet, surprised, at an intersection, and instantly recognize each other as enemies. Mind-Rape Mage begins casting and Pornomancer begings furiously humping the air. Whoever loses initiative falls in love with the other.

Awwww, what a cute couple. love.gif
djinni
alright pay three little wizkids ten nuyen each to put a ward inside your skull so you can't be messed with like that
Wiseman
alright pay three little wizkids ten nuyen each to put a ward inside your skull so you can't be messed with like that

but you dont' wanna know where they have to put the anchor point object....
djinni
QUOTE (Wiseman)
but you dont' wanna know where they have to put the anchor point object....

I'm a mundane if it stops the mindcontrol spell I WANT IT!
Wiseman
I don't know why but I can't stop laughing at this. In one way it would be worth it..but in so many ways...just no.

It could get knocked loose depending on activity and possibly even lifestyle choices.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012