Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: scanners and sensors
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
OneTrikPony
(Reference page 325)

would it break the system if the capacity cost of Sensor Functions were scaled to the rating of the sensor function? What if a cyber scanner's capacity cost was + 1/2 sensor function rating (round up)?

The reason this concerns me is that cyber scanners and MAD scanners are very inexpencive and I don't think you should be able to fit a high level scanner in an RFID tag. I think it makes the setting better if the security guard can't fit rating 6 cyber scanner, MAD scanner and an Olfactory sensor in the same handheld device. I'm not sure about this but I also think that it breaks physics to put a "milimeter wave detection system" inside something the size of a coin and expect to get resolution of more than tens of pixles.
tehbighead
if you're the GM, simply don't give your team's opponents any gear you feel would be overpowered. problem solved. i, for one, like those kinds of complications and have a fairly maimed character with a mad scanner in one artificial finger. comes in handy when you're meeting with a prospective employer. wink.gif
Wiseman
CODE
I'm not sure about this but I also think that it breaks physics to put a "milimeter wave detection system" inside something the size of a coin and expect to get resolution of more than tens of pixles.

Ultimately you do whats best for your game (i.e. more fun) but physics has nothing to do with it other than a certain suspension of disbelief, but hell theres magic.

Its a future fantasy game and so it's conceivable such things would fit in devices that small. But I always find it funny how advanced we generally think the real world is in the future and then when we get there, its simply not.

Like the movie Strange Days, man some of that stuff is really funny looking back from 2007.

You could always assume the higher rating only relates to better processing of the software, so an oflactory sensor 3 and 6 are physically made of the same components, one is just better at analyzing the information more accurately through software.
Lagomorph
Our house rule was that capacities for different tables were incompatible, so you couldn't fit MAD scanners in your cyber eyes, or a cyber shotgun in your hand held scanner. Or even a cybershotgun in your cybereye.
Mr. Unpronounceable
That's a house rule? I thought it was common sense that something described as "car sized" didn't fit inside an eye socket.
Lagomorph
QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable)
That's a house rule? I thought it was common sense that something described as "car sized" didn't fit inside an eye socket.

It's a house rule in the fact that you are not explicitly or implicitly denied from doing this in the text of the rules from what I could find.

Every item that takes capacities, could conceivably be put into any item that has capacities. But since the capacity unit is used several times, and obviously represent different sized "capacity units", it makes sense to make a rule that the capacities are linked to the same table, and not able to cross tables.

RAW != common sense. House Rule == Common sense. smile.gif
odinson
QUOTE (Lagomorph)
QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable @ Jun 7 2007, 04:33 PM)

It's a house rule in the fact that you are not explicitly or implicitly denied from doing this in the text of the rules from what I could find.

Every item that takes capacities, could conceivably be put into any item that has capacities. But since the capacity unit is used several times, and obviously represent different sized "capacity units", it makes sense to make a rule that the capacities are linked to the same table, and not able to cross tables.

The only 2 tables that are special are the eyes and ears. I don't see a problem putting headware in a cyberarm.
djinni
QUOTE (Lagomorph)
Our house rule was that capacities for different tables were incompatible, so you couldn't fit MAD scanners in your cyber eyes, or a cyber shotgun in your hand held scanner. Or even a cybershotgun in your cybereye.

I see no reason a Cyberware scanner, or ultrasound sensor could not be placed in a cybereye due to the low capacity rating.
a cybershotgun in a hand held scanner I can also see but would incorporate a negative modifier on shooting and a MAD or cyberscanner would notice it normally.
after all they have a piece of scotch tape able to transmit a wireless signal out to 10 feet and store more data than you home computer!
schmitzzy
i would agree with djinni. like it is saying it is impossible to put your commlink or datalock and maybe a control rig but basically it comes down to common sense you cant have a tooth storage compartment in you arm but a commlink will fit. it just is all what you as the GM or the GM says if he says NO then go with it don't argue he is like god but you can talk to him. but my idea is use common sense.

--the schmitz
DireRadiant
Sensors p. 325
Each package has a Capacity rating; the total Capacity
rating of the individual sensors may not exceed the package’s
Capacity rating. If more than one sensor in a package applies
to a Sensor Test, use only the highest rating.

Headware p. 330
These small complex devices are inserted into the head
(typically constructed via less-invasive nanosurgery). Items
that have a Capacity rating may be installed in cyberlimbs
instead, costing capacity rather than Essence.

Eyeware p 332
Eyeware subsystems either take up Capacity in a cybereye
or Essence in a natural eye (not both). For both replacements
and retinal mods, upgrades usually involve both eyes
so the user’s vision is not unbalanced.

Earware They missed this one

Bodyware p. 333
Bodyware that does not have a Capacity rating must be
installed directly into the user’s body; it cannot be installed
into cyberlimbs. Bodyware with a Capacity rating may be installed
in cyberlimbs, costing capacity rather than Essence.

Cyberlimb sub section of bodyware.

Each section has a table that shows the capaicity rating, there is accompanying text in each section explining how capacity is used.

If you choose to think the capacity rating of headware items in the headware table, which use is described, are also to be used as a sensor capacity rating or the cyberlimb capacity rating (Which is a sub section of the headware group, then you can certainly choose to do so.

Personally I think headware capicity applies to items in the headware section, Sensor capacity applies to items in sensor section.

For examples of installing sensor devices into cyberlimbs I'd look more at what can be installed in smuggling compartments and the description of what size items can be placed in cyberlimbs.
Ravor
Although I hate having to resort to using them as an example, the Bounty Hunter Sample Character does have Ultrasound installed in his Cybereyes, so that is at least one known example of using capacity costs across the tables...

And remember that before the Crash 2.0 Cyberdocs in the Sixth World had no problem installing things like Ultrasound and Datajacks into Cybereye Systems...
Wiseman
I agree with DireRadiant. You might rule some items could be transfered on a case by case basis, but the rule of thumb (and no not the beating your wife with a thin stick) is you can't insert capacity items into things they aren't designed for.

Could I have a select sound filter in my cybereye, you could imagine its possible but from a game perspective it just doesn't make sense.

Why not put an image link in a finger and peek around corners and through keyholes by flipping the bird. How about an inspector gadget grapple gun in my head. Or putting retinal duplication in my ear. Its all feasible I guess but I'd imagine the surgery and science of it hasn't been perfected like the standard practices and certain cyberware assumes basic things like that you can see out of a cybereye to begin with. If you have a player wanting to force it, you could rule it uses up double the capacity when put in the wrong cyber-system.

They're not robots, the human body still makes up the majority (in most cases) of the whole system, and when it doesn't, good luck getting healed after the surgery as low essence means they have a lot more parts and difficulties to deal with.

And I just don't see a [3] capacity in your head equal to a [3] capacity in a limb.

By the same thought processes I could replace my legs with cyberarms and become a cyber monkey (damn too late).

The game concept about cyberware is crazy enough, and when players ask for this type of weird set-up from a street doc, I'd say "Absolutely! But I must say the last time I attempted it did result in lethal biofeedback, but hey i'm sure I got all the kinks worked out this time, hop up on the table". It usually shuts them up.
Wiseman
Although I hate having to resort to using them as an example, the Bounty Hunter Sample Character does have Ultrasound installed in his Cybereyes, so that is at least one known example of using capacity costs across the tables...

decent point. But it is worth noting that Ultrasound is a visual sensor in a visual item. It may not be on the Eyeware list (page 332) but it is available as a vision enhancement on goggles/glasses/contacts.

If he had a Sound Damper in his eye then or a Balance Augmenter in a toe I'd be more apt to agree.
2bit
Everything in the Eyeware section is a passive sensor; that may be why Ultrasound is not a part of that list. It could be that it was initially grouped there, but removed before printing.

hobgoblin
not impossible as the sample characters have been shown to contain errors before...
djinni
QUOTE (2bit)
Everything in the Eyeware section is a passive sensor; that may be why Ultrasound is not a part of that list. It could be that it was initially grouped there, but removed before printing.

except it is a sensor, it doesn't have an emitter in it.
Lagomorph
QUOTE (djinni)
QUOTE (2bit @ Jun 7 2007, 02:09 PM)
Everything in the Eyeware section is a passive sensor; that may be why Ultrasound is not a part of that list.  It could be that it was initially grouped there, but removed before printing.

except it is a sensor, it doesn't have an emitter in it.

I believe that ultrasound is described as an emitter+receiver, or at least it was in SR3.
djinni
QUOTE (Lagomorph)
I believe that ultrasound is described as an emitter+receiver, or at least it was in SR3.

the ultrasound sensor listed as headware?
I believe it is just a sensor.
2bit
It's listed as "an implanted version of the ultrasound sensor", which is emitter + receiver, so, it's both.
Wiseman
it has to be both to work and I'd venture to guess it wouldn't ever come seperately as it'd be pretty useless.

Its not that big of a deal really being that it is a visual sensor in a cybereye, of course you'd have to figure what the essence or [cap] its rated at, availablility and price first.

But I'd bet it was just a typo of some damn designer who didn't understand the difference of vision enhancements and cyberware.

Edit* it says the sensor could be on passive mode and not emit, which kinda implies the sensor and the emitter are rolled into one
toturi
QUOTE (Lagomorph @ Jun 8 2007, 12:45 AM)

RAW != Real Life Common Sense

RAW == SR Common Sense

House Rule == Real Life Common Sense == SR Queer Ass Sci-Fi biggrin.gif
Mr. Unpronounceable
QUOTE (Wiseman)
But I'd bet it was just a typo of some damn designer who didn't understand the difference of vision enhancements and cyberware.

or he was working off old supplements - there used to be a cybereye mod for ultrasound vision - the emitter went in one eye, and the reciever in the other.
2bit
it has to be both to work and I'd venture to guess it wouldn't ever come seperately as it'd be pretty useless.
Not useless, but less useful, definitely. You can still use an ultrasound receiver as a visual aide as long as there's an emitter in the area doing the job for you. In a team, or squad, for instance, there could be a support unit whose job it is to paint ultrasound. Drone, etc. . . I dunno why that would be a good idea, but, it could work.
Wiseman
Not useless, but less useful, definitely. You can still use an ultrasound receiver as a visual aide as long as there's an emitter in the area doing the job for you. In a team, or squad, for instance, there could be a support unit whose job it is to paint ultrasound. Drone, etc. . . I dunno why that would be a good idea, but, it could work.

Well wouldn't it need to know where the sound wave originated from to create an actual picture? Maybe you could use something else as the emitter, but its location would have to be fixed relative to your position and the receiver calibrated to properly interpert it.

Otherwise you'd be getting skewed pictures and more likely just a mess. Then again it is the future so maybe that kind of constant processing and proper orientation of the data is a moot point.
2bit
Yeah - that's kinda what I was thinking, if your system is talking to the emitter's system, then it knows its relative position and can do the math. I dunno enough about ultrasound to say whether or not any emitter, on your team or not, is enough - but I'm willing to say it's a possibility.
Wiseman
Yeah - that's kinda what I was thinking, if your system is talking to the emitter's system, then it knows its relative position and can do the math. I dunno enough about ultrasound to say whether or not any emitter, on your team or not, is enough - but I'm willing to say it's a possibility.

Yer probably right as that seems like splitting hairs. Long as you have an emitter and a sensor (within range) it can do the calculations.

I'll note that in the GM book of funky stuff.
Mr. Unpronounceable
If nothing else, it should work as a motion-sensor-sensor.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable)
If nothing else, it should work as a motion-sensor-sensor.

Ooh, like the radar-detector-detector-detector in my car. smile.gif
djinni
QUOTE (Wiseman)
Yer probably right as that seems like splitting hairs. Long as you have an emitter and a sensor (within range) it can do the calculations.

I'll note that in the GM book of funky stuff.

if you had it in your eyes two points of input allow you to gauge range and direction just like normal sight
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012