Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: racism
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
schmitzzy
i know that skin color and stuff like that is not a problem but what is a troll wanted to have sex with a dwarf and have a family. si that accepted in this society. and what about homosexuals and other oddities like that. stuff like that how do the people of 2070 feel of that.

--the schmitz
hobgoblin
humanis would probably react to the idea kinda like KKK react to mixed color familys today. as for the avarage joe, hard to tell. mostly i guess it would depend on the community and its individuals.

but as always i suspect that its the younger generation that will have the least problems with it.
Jack Kain
QUOTE (schmitzzy)
i know that skin color and stuff like that is not a problem but what is a troll wanted to have sex with a dwarf and have a family. si that accepted in this society. and what about homosexuals and other oddities like that. stuff like that how do the people of 2070 feel of that.

--the schmitz

Oh thats a lovely imagine a dwarf and a Troll. How could they do it!
I mean literally how!? the dynamics of it are mind boggling.

The Average Dwarf is 1.2 meters tall.
Trolls tend to be 2.8 meters tall.

Oh and all the old racism still exists but the metahuman stuff is at the top.
hobgoblin
simple, dwarf on top wink.gif

that is if dwarf is female, i dont even want to contemplate the other way round...
yoippari
Something that seems to get overlooked is still the regional and ethnic background behind the meta. I imagine that some still view the south as rednecks the french as... french, japanese are still fairly japanese, un(der)developed countries would be seen differently than the metroplex. I can't imagine that old prejudices, stereotypes and plain old racism would completely disappear after we developed a few new breeds.

For example a Tir'na'Nog elf is probably seen quite a bit different than an elf from Everett. Probably completely different accents and dialect even with Sperethial.

Re: the OP: You will get every kind of reaction. Those who think it's a little odd but don't have a problem with it. Some will actively encourage inter-meta relationships. Some will stage protests and marches against/for said behavior. Others will ignore it completely. Yet others will choose to ignore it saying it doesn't bother them simply because society says it shouldn't bother them.

In Seattle I most will never know about it and those who do will probably be friends who just accept it.
hobgoblin
then you have the really crazy ones that will actively try to kill anyone even considering the possibilities.

if real life people can get themselves to firebomb a medical clinic because they perform abortions, i would say there are no end to what people can get themselves to do.

racism is one of the ways to present the bleak side of SR.
Jack Kain
Remember folks the UCAS doesn't hate metahumans they just hate SINless and poor people.
sunnyside
yoippari touched on it but I'd like to stress that some cultures still are racist. SR (traditionally) playes up Japanese racism. For one they send their metas to a freaking island. But beyond that they think that Japanese are the best.

Unlike current american racism, which tends to have specific slurs for specific subgroups, the SR japanese tend to just use "gajin" which basiacally means "someone who isn't japanese" to refer to the rest of us. And in their mind the economic dominance of the Japanese in SR is evidence of that.

Remember SR should be a badguy rich environment. Racism helps with that.
nezumi
Humanis probably won't care, except to show how depraved metas are. If anything, they'd want to keep the couple alive and relatively safe, because it's simply more evidence that metas will hump anything, but in this case, no real humans are in danger.

I haven't seen a lot about any significant dwarf 'culture'. Some dwarfs I'm sure would find the idea repulsive, some would be okay with it. Dwarfs on the whole have suffered less from racism than say orks or trolls, but still have suffered some. They might see it as marrying down, but acceptable, some might see it as a step in the right direction. So varies individual from individual.

On the ork/troll side (since those groups basically run together), I can imagine that poor fellow getting a LOT of teasing, especially if the troll is male, and especially about his umm.. endowments. I'm sure he'd get some nickname like 'stubby' or 'shorty'. Females might have it a bit easier, and in fact it might get the dwarf some recognition in the ork community (a tiny thing like you managed to tame that crazy woman? Wow.)

Of course, the more disassociated these people are with the ignorant, 'on the street' people, the easier things get. If they're both members of the academic community, for instance, any bigotry is almost certainly going to be very quiet undercurrents coming from individuals. Any company that hired trolls and dwarves is going to have a lax enough policy to let them marry without trouble, unless one of them is also crossing socio-economic lines (a troll janitor marrying a dwarf exec, for instance).
hobgoblin
well there is always the militant wing of humanis, alamos 20k (or something like that), right?
nezumi
Yeah, but again, Alamos 20k believes in violently fighting for human rights. Troll and dwarf gets hitched, how does that hurt humans? I think both Humanis and Alamos would agree, it's just proof that metahumans are depraved. Humans actually benefit from the arrangement.

If a troll marries a HUMAN, then you get out the crowbars and shotguns.
hobgoblin
point well made smile.gif
Wiseman
Yeah, but again, Alamos 20k believes in violently fighting for human rights. Troll and dwarf gets hitched, how does that hurt humans? I think both Humanis and Alamos would agree, it's just proof that metahumans are depraved. Humans actually benefit from the arrangement.

True. but I don't think rational thought has much to do with hate. Hell people don't even need a reason most of the time (they just like to think they have some justification)

Most likely they'd use it as proof of their "depraved less-than-human nature" and all the more reason to wipe them out or keep them in cages.
mfb
can i just say that the subtitle of this thread is the first belly laugh i've had all week?
Sterling
Yeah, the SR universe has pretty much declared that the traditional racism has made way for the new racism. I recall a quote that really summed it up.. "Who cares what that guy's skin color is when that THING over there has hands the size of your head!?"

Now, I use the Humanis as a really easy tool. My player characters are generally decent hardworking folks who disdain wetwork. But for some reason, even the ethical mage comes unhinged when white hoods take the stage. So use Humanis as almost comic relief. They're so scared of change and metahumans that yeah, they'll even harass the dwarf/troll couple because 'they're making a mockery of marriage, which is for, and always will ONLY be for a human couple!!'

Plus any team that has a human in it along with any metas means Humanis will harrass them for being race traitors, because no one likes ork-lovers™, trog-nuzzlers™, dwarf-lickers™, and elf-toadies™.... or some equally ludicrous label.

I run the Humanis as so blinded by hatred they'll often fail to notice the runners are usually very well armed. Plus you have the average human agility+pistols/unarmed versus Shadowrunners, which is pretty one-sided. Or a comely young lad or lass will flirt with a meta runner, lure him to a nice, dark, secluded spot, where six friends with baseball bats will work the poor sod over. That's the blatant racism angle.

The subtle angle is the Johnsons who won't offer top dollar for runs if their least-favorite metatype is on the team. Maybe his daughter ran away with one, his wife was leered at by one, who knows. But contacts and Johnsons and anyone else can (and should) have varying levels of racism as well. The Elf Neighborhood will watch orks and trolls like hawks. The Ork Underground keeps a wary eye on the smoothies. Maybe the fixer who dislikes elves always jacks up that character's prices by 10%, or drops their fenced loot by 10% as well. That's easy racism, as "Gear that meets your needs is harder to come by than Human Samurai Bob over there."

"But we both wanted stock Ruger Super Warhawks!!"

"He asked first, and his seller was trying to offload it quickly. Yours was much harder to come by, and market forces always win. Sorry, chummer. I could always sell it to the local go-gang, if you decide you didn't need it?"
mfb
QUOTE (Sterling)
Plus you have the average human agility+pistols/unarmed versus Shadowrunners, which is pretty one-sided.

Humanis is well-funded and popular. they can definitely afford quality shooters, even if they for some reason couldn't recruit them. if runners piss off Humanis expecting that the only guys that will come after them will be one-toothed hicks armed with pappy's shotgun, those runners are in for a really rude awakening. milspec weapons and training? check. detailed dossiers on the runners and everyone they associate with? check. heavy security armor with sheets over their helmets? check.
Jack Kain
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (Sterling)
Plus you have the average human agility+pistols/unarmed versus Shadowrunners, which is pretty one-sided.

Humanis is well-funded and popular. they can definitely afford quality shooters, even if they for some reason couldn't recruit them. if runners piss off Humanis expecting that the only guys that will come after them will be one-toothed hicks armed with pappy's shotgun, those runners are in for a really rude awakening. milspec weapons and training? check. detailed dossiers on the runners and everyone they associate with? check. heavy security armor with sheets over their helmets? check.

So your saying Humanis will respond with more force and power then a megacorp? J

yeah that makes sense, Lonestar and the megacorps can't track me down but a bunch of well funded redneck hicks will somehow find out everything about my SINless existence.

This all assumes any of the Humanis goods survive to identify the PC's. Eye recording units are useless if you simply destroy the cybereye or wear a mask

Humanis doesn't have the resources to go after every meteahuman loving bunch who kicks there ass. If they did, they'd already have dominated the world. The PC's would have to do something like kill a high ranking member or blow up a building with a few dozen inside.

The second problem is it be highly illegal to send guys out with milspec equipment. The PC's could call Lonestar and watch the cops take care of the problem for them.

Sterling
QUOTE (mfb)

What you just described would be the Alamos 20k version of Humanis.

Your average racist is a wageslave who feels impotent. Change is happening all around him or her, and they don't like it. But they cannot devote themselves full-time to tracking down any meta or meta-lover who irks them, they can't spend hours at the gym or at the range honing their firearms skill. While Humanis is well-funded, and popular, the two cancel each other out. If it's well-funded but small, then each individual has more money poured into making them more efficient racists. If it's popular but not well-funded, then you get people as they are. But a mix of popular and well-funded means they can afford meeting halls, give people guns (for self defense, of course) maybe some basic gun training (skill of 1-2) and stun batons.

So yeah, your average Humanis isn't far off from a basic human archetype. Your higher level Humanis goons (Lieutenants+) might start having some runner-level skillsets. But what you described (again, in my game, not necessarily in yours) would be the Alamos 20k who the Humanis might call if a runner team was kicking their policlub membership around.
mfb
more force and power than a megacorp? what are you talking about? i haven't described anything near as over-the-top as your typical Red Samurai unit, or the Jaguars, or the Seraphim... the list goes on.

QUOTE (Jack Kain)
Your average racist is a wageslave who feels impotent.

yes, and your average wageslave is a wageslave. but corporate strike teams are not composed of wageslaves--and neither are Humanis strike teams.

these 'redneck hicks' almost got a president elected, purely on his anti-meta stance. the mistake everyone makes, with Humanis, is thinking that they're a tiny group of radicals. Humanis is the majority. they have plenty of people as smart or smarter than your runner, and they're a hell of a lot better-connected than any runner could ever hope to be.

i'm not claiming that Humanis is going to send a strike team after every group of meta-sympathetic runners who looks at them funny. i'm saying that if Humanis does find cause to send a strike team after some runners, the runners need to worry.

as for illegality, are you serious? any strike team worthy of the name is going to be in and out before anybody can get to a phone.
knasser
QUOTE (Sterling)
So use Humanis as almost comic relief.

I take a very different approach. I despise racism in my real life and I don't find it productive to trivialise in my game. This isn't a dig at how you choose to play it. That's fine for you. But for me, it's an opportunity to portray it as nasty as it is in real life. I wrote a piece of Shadowtalk here for anyone who hasn't seen it before.

You can play Humanis as buffoons in white hoods. But firstly I suspect that the black members of humanis probably don't care for that association so I doubt Humanis uses them. Secondly, you can also get a lot of mileage and scare out of playing Humanis as a serious threat. Which in the setting, they are.
djinni
QUOTE (knasser)
You can play Humanis as buffoons in white hoods. But firstly I suspect that the black members of humanis probably don't care for that association so I doubt Humanis uses them. Secondly, you can also get a lot of mileage and scare out of playing Humanis as a serious threat. Which in the setting, they are.

most people have an issue with racism in general (as in they don't have any prejudice, so don't see what the big deal is).
that's why it is trivialized.
it is the same with lonestar people who have never had a bad incident with a cop don't see lonestar as bad, but those who have...do...
I don't either trivialize it nor make it a huge deal UNLESS I have a character who might get targetted. little things like
the bartender gives the troll of your group bad service...
the price suddenly goes up when they see the elf...
you get into a fight just because yer an orc...(with your team to back you up)
it gives great bonding experiences for the groups to have to stick up for their friends.
Humanis are not buffons the zealots at the bottom however are...and as long as the group thinks the big wigs are they will get majorly surprised when they meet the big wigs later...
nezumi
Some of you guys are really bigoted against racists...

Seriously though, Humanis is a policlub, not a paramilitary gang. What's that mean? Well, you have a bunch of educated people who have seen the sociology studies that clearly show that diversity has a COST, and especially now, that cost has become unbearably high. There is little question that diversity leads to unnecessary conflict, to confusion, to inefficiencies. This is undisputed fact. "Anti-discriminatory" measures are almost always discriminatory, costing bright kids the chance to go to college so that someone who didn't apply himself as well can get in solely based on his bone structure, that people who are not competent for their duties are hired on to meet racial quotas, and the best people are overlooked for promotions in order to keep up the facade of equality. This costs money, jobs and safety. Japan is kicking UCAS' ass in part because Japan can boast a largely homogenous population. This diversity is costing us, with no apparent benefit.

Sure, some people join Humanis because they're feeling left behind or personally threatened, that they're feeling obsolete, but people only need to look at the facts to realize such a position isn't so paranoid after all, when a 4.0 GPA isn't worth as much as being born elf. But not everyone joins because they're racist. Some join because it just makes good economic sense. You think Renraku has pro-troll recruitment policies? Of course not, it costs them money, and when in competition like they are, spending money unnecessarily isn't something you can afford. So it's better to chip a little money into Humanis to allow them to operate how they please then to allow the UCAS to try and enforce laws on them or their subsidiaries that would harm business.

Like most groups of this nature, the majority of Humanis supporters aren't officially members. You can expect that for every one card carrying member, there are 10 people who unofficially support their position, and will work to further those ends quietly in the background.

Portray Humanis like clowns if you want, but you're setting yourself up for a very real surprise. Humanis oriented organizations make more money, have a strong sense of loyalty, and lower crime rate than their competitors. That gives them an edge, an edge they don't mind cutting trouble makers like you in half with.
mfb
'zactly.
Jack Kain
QUOTE (knasser @ Jun 8 2007, 01:57 PM)
QUOTE (Sterling @ Jun 8 2007, 07:07 PM)
So use Humanis as almost comic relief.

I take a very different approach. I despise racism in my real life and I don't find it productive to trivialise in my game. This isn't a dig at how you choose to play it. That's fine for you. But for me, it's an opportunity to portray it as nasty as it is in real life. I wrote a piece of Shadowtalk here for anyone who hasn't seen it before.

FACT: Trolls are tall compared to humans
FACT: Humanis are well known for dressing in white robes with pointy hoods. Doubt all you want, it doesn't change that, it was written in the books and repeated on wiki.dumbshock.

Humanis IS not the majority, they are simply the largest anti-metahuman club.
You don't think Kenneth Brackhaven got votes from all the other anti-metahuman club members?

For all Humanis power they couldn't stop a dragon from being elected president never mind he was assassinated shortly after the election. OH and Dunkelzahn beat Kenneth Brackhaven.

And don't tell me they hate dragons any less then metahumans.

Why do people believe the Humanis polclub is the KKK of the shadowrun world. Despite its existence they have had NO luck in getting any of the metahuman right laws repealed in the UCAS and CAS.

There big there powerful and they've done nothing but whine and (&^*( and beat the crap out of people. Thats the most success they've had recently

djinni
QUOTE (mfb)
'zactly.

yep yep...in simple terms Prejudice works backwards too.
mfb
what does troll height have to do with anything...?

the fact that Brackhaven didn't win simply means that not every human votes their prejudices first. Dunk promised them a magical fairy kingdom, and they were gullible enough to buy it.
Wiseman
Just wanted to highlight some of the snappy catch lines in this thread...

a troll wanted to have sex with a dwarf and have a family

simple, dwarf on top

If anything, they'd want to keep the couple alive and relatively safe, because it's simply more evidence that metas will hump anything

and what about homosexuals and other oddities like that

then you have the really crazy ones that will actively try to kill anyone even considering the possibilities.

because no one likes ork-lovers™, trog-nuzzlers™, dwarf-lickers™, and elf-toadies™

Humanis are well known for dressing in white robes with pointy hoods. Doubt all you want, it doesn't change that, it was written in the books and repeated on wiki.dumbshock.

heavy security armor with sheets over their helmets? check

expecting that the only guys that will come after them will be one-toothed hicks armed with pappy's shotgun

most people have an issue with racism in general (as in they don't have any prejudice, so don't see what the big deal is).

I despise racism in my real life

yep yep...in simple terms Prejudice works backwards too

Course truthfully I didn't have anything to really contribute but man thats a fun read.

nezumi
1) A dragon ISN'T as much of a threat as a troll. Dragons don't marry humans, they don't take human jobs, they don't look at you threateningly while you ride the subway. Dragons aren't a threat because they aren't personal.

2) What 'metahuman right laws'? Metahumans, by and large, don't have SINs, there are no requirements they get appropriate accomodations in businesses, they don't get affirmative action, etc. No, no Humanis is not the KKK. It's twice as effective as the KKK ever was.
Jack Kain
QUOTE (nezumi @ Jun 8 2007, 03:01 PM)
1)  A dragon ISN'T as much of a threat as a troll.  Dragons don't marry humans, they don't take human jobs, they don't look at you threateningly while you ride the subway.  Dragons aren't a threat because they aren't personal.

2)  What 'metahuman right laws'?  Metahumans, by and large, don't have SINs, there are no requirements they get appropriate accomodations in businesses, they don't get affirmative action, etc.  No, no Humanis is not the KKK.  It's twice as effective as the KKK ever was.

Wasn't the Humanis Policlub was formed, during the same time the courts granted equal rights to all metahuman races? Yeah it was.

And Dunky was seen as the champion for metahuman rights.

Alamos and the Humanis club are so pissed off because metahumans are being granted the same rights as normal humans. The trick people forget is that like in real life the issue often isn't race its being poor.

Now just because legally metahumans have these provisions don't mean it happens in practice just like real life.

Racism is a tricky issue in SR. You have this guy who can't stand Orks things there all punch criminal go gangers but doesn't mind dwarves or elves.

You can also have an Elf who doesn't mind humans, orks or trolls but can't stand dwarves.

You can also have a Dwarf who hates trolls and humans but is good friends with orks.

Show me a Humanis political victory, really I've tried to find one. But near as I can tell they formed to late to be anything more then a club full of bullies.
Demon_Bob
QUOTE (nezumi)

I can't think of anyone better to be bigoted against.

I would not laugh at a group of 20 guys with big guns waiting to ambush undesirables. Some of these people may see it as fighting for their way of life, to fail is to fall into a life of despair and desperation.

Some are fighting for a cause which they truly believe just. Putting much of their time and efforts into it. Some of them see it as fighting a type of holy war.
This may mean anything from attempting to pressure undesirables to leave a company or community, to gunfire.

I use machine pistols and assault rifles with Ex-Ex rounds, 9 die for attack, 12 assailants attacking from an ambush. Don't go after the Troll Combat Monster, go after his home, family, escape vehicle. Go after his team-mates when they are separated from the group.

wern't Nazi's just one big hate group who took over a good part of the world?
mfb
it's non-humans who don't get SINs, not metahumans.

not every Humanis member, much less every Humanis sympathizer, is rabidly anti-meta. most of them likely aren't. Humanis does not present itself as anti-meta, it presents itself as pro-human--and a lot of humans buy into that.
knasser
QUOTE (djinni @ Jun 8 2007, 08:13 PM)
that's why it is trivialized.
it is the same with lonestar people who have never had a bad incident with a cop don't see lonestar as bad, but those who have...do...

That's true. being on the receiving end of prejudice does normally make one less likely to play it as trivial thing. But it's not a requirement. There are a lot of good people who feel strongly against racism purely on the behalf of others. Empathy and the ability to put yourself in someone else's place are important traits.

QUOTE (Djinni)

it gives great bonding experiences for the groups to have to stick up for their friends.

That's a very good point. Anything that increases the feeling of reality in the game is usually a good thing, and making the relationships between party members more real is an often overlooked way of doing things. I'm going to do that in my game.

QUOTE (Nezumi)

Prejudice is literally where you pre-judge someone. That's what the word means. You say to yourself that you know what someone is like based not on their behaviour but on some general trait such as nationality or race. It's not prejudice against racists. If someone behaves in a racist way then that's not an assumption that we are making about them, it's an actual reaction to something that they as an individual have done. If you want to say we're bigoted against racists, that's meaningless because we're talking about our responses to something that is actually said or done. If you want to say that I don't like someone who treats me differently because of my race, then yes - I'm fine with you saying that. Wouldn't you object to being on the receiving end of it?
QUOTE (nezumi)

"Anti-discriminatory" measures are almost always discriminatory, costing bright kids the chance to go to college so that someone who didn't apply himself as well can get in solely based on his bone structure, that people who are not competent for their duties are hired on to meet racial quotas, and the best people are overlooked for promotions in order to keep up the facade of equality. This costs money, jobs and safety.

You're setting up a strawman - saying that being against racism is equivalent to denying qualified people jobs. It is not. Positive discrimination is a separate issue. Just because I wouldn't like someone denying me a job because my father is arabic, doesn't mean I want a hand out instead. You should drop the hyperbole and address what people are actually saying.

That said, when the wealth, influence and opportunities in a society are grossly imbalanced along ethnic lines, doesn't it suggest that something should be done to break the cycle?
nezumi
QUOTE (knasser @ Jun 8 2007, 04:18 PM)
QUOTE (Nezumi)

Prejudice is literally where you pre-judge someone. That's what the word means. You say to yourself that you know what someone is like based not on their behaviour but on some general trait such as nationality or race. It's not prejudice against racists. If someone behaves in a racist way then that's not an assumption that we are making about them, it's an actual reaction to something that they as an individual have done. If you want to say we're bigoted against racists, that's meaningless because we're talking about our responses to something that is actually said or done. If you want to say that I don't like someone who treats me differently because of my race, then yes - I'm fine with you saying that. Wouldn't you object to being on the receiving end of it?

My point is that saying 'oh, that person is racist? He's probably a one-toothed hick with an old shotgun'. That is prejudice.

QUOTE (nezumi)

"Anti-discriminatory" measures are almost always discriminatory, costing bright kids the chance to go to college so that someone who didn't apply himself as well can get in solely based on his bone structure, that people who are not competent for their duties are hired on to meet racial quotas, and the best people are overlooked for promotions in order to keep up the facade of equality. This costs money, jobs and safety.

You're setting up a strawman - saying that being against racism is equivalent to denying qualified people jobs. It is not. Positive discrimination is a separate issue. Just because I wouldn't like someone denying me a job because my father is arabic, doesn't mean I want a hand out instead. You should drop the hyperbole and address what people are actually saying.

That said, when the wealth, influence and opportunities in a society are grossly imbalanced along ethnic lines, doesn't it suggest that something should be done to break the cycle?

Of course it's a straw man. You think I'm giving MY views? No, this isn't what 'I' am saying. It's what people would say, what a lot of Humanis says. You might not agree with it, but it's a strong argument, and if you're a human who lost his promotion to an elf, regardless as to whether the elf was better qualified or not, saying 'it's affirmative action that cost me my job' makes the human feel good. It is just logical enough to feel rational, but just emotional enough to have a very substantial push among humans, and that's why it would be effective.

it's non-humans who don't get SINs, not metahumans.

But if you look at the statistics, 90% of the people with SINs are humans, and something like 50% of the people without SINs are metahuman. That isn't coincidental.

edit: To be clear, some people swap between human and metahuman interchangeably. I'm not sure if you're correcting me in that metahumans DO get SINs but non-metahumans don't, or that humans, being a subset of metahumans, get SINs and therefore metahumans get SINs, but non-human metahumans don't get SINs.

Someone brought up not seeing any humanis victories. Part of the reason is we don't see what bills failed to come to pass. There are a lot of laws that exist in the US to fight racism, but that don't exist in the UCAS. I can only assume they were drafted and began making their way through government, but got shot down. We just don't have the level of detail to really say how many victories Humanis has had.
knasser
QUOTE (nezumi @ Jun 8 2007, 09:45 PM)
QUOTE (knasser @ Jun 8 2007, 04:18 PM)
QUOTE (Nezumi)

My point is that saying 'oh, that person is racist? He's probably a one-toothed hick with an old shotgun'. That is prejudice.

Well in that case, we're in agreement. That racists can be very convincing and insidious is what I'm saying too. And you are right that it is a form of prejudice to assume that just because someone is racist they are stupid. It need not be the case.

QUOTE (nezumi)

Of course it's a straw man.  You think I'm giving MY views?

Actually, yes I did. It did occur to me that you might be just talking in the character of a humanis member as I had a nagging doubt that I remembered lots of posts with your name on it that I'd agreed with in the past... but it sounded as though you were posting your own views. Appears I wasn't the only one that thought so, too. I'm glad it's cleared up.

But you illustrate racist arguments very well. Of course you'd need something different in terms of Shadowrun as I don't recall seeing much positive discrimination on behalf of orks and trolls.
mfb
humans, orks, trolls, elves, and dwarves (and their subspecies) can get SINs. if you're not one of those, it requires an act of Congress (or, one assumes, an act by a similar authority in countries besides the UCAS) to give you a SIN. that's what i mean when i say metahumans can get SINs and non-humans can't.

as far as Humanis victories go--the US has lots and lots of laws against discrimination, but that doesn't stop discrimination from happening. one of the biggest signs i see that the US still has discrimination problems is that we've never had a female president. meanwhile, freakin' Pakistan has had a female prime minister. the number of anti-meta regulations that Humanis has or has not passed is, in some ways, irrelevant, because there are always going to be perfectly legal ways for a populace to express its discriminatory tendencies.
Demon_Bob
QUOTE (nezumi)
You think I'm giving MY views? No, this isn't what 'I' am saying. It's what people would say, what a lot of Humanis says.

That is the problem with playing the well-thought Humanis Activist. People tend to react first and think, 'I've been played later'. Of- course for the activist sometimes that is a good thing.
hobgoblin
similar to how the shin fein (sp?) is/was the political front of the IRA, i belive the humanis is the political front of the alamos 20k. as in, the smart people, those that can talk the talk, walk the walk and look good in a suit, are members of humanis. those that just want to burn metas and crush skull, those are in alamos 20k.

now mess with humanis and humanis will only react with politically correct means. but if those dont work, you may well find yourself on the alamos's target list.

as in, the humanis will never dirty themselves. thats what they have alamos 20k for.
hyzmarca
Humanis also has the Night Hunters, who are essentially double-secret junior members.

The Sprawl Survival guide pretty much states that miscegenation is the only remaining sexual taboo in the UCAS. You could be a homosexual polygamist zoosexual who is married to 27 gay male penguins and no one will so much as blink an eye, not even the most conservative of religious extremists; but, if you so much as look at a member of another metahuman race the wrong way even the most liberal people will spit on you and call you names.
mfb
to an extent. i tend to think pretty much every organization in existence in SR has a shadow budget. Alamos20k may handle Humanis' heavy stuff, the big statement projects, the way the Red Sams handle Renraku's important strikes or the Ghosts handle the Tairngire's important jobs. but any of them will be happy to hire runners for the little stuff.
nezumi
I do confess to being a character actor, and as a GM that includes sympathizing with some fairly unrespectable folk, but considering my players play sociopathic terrorist rapists for hire, I don't feel especially dirty in comparison.
mfb
i gotta get into more of those games.
Sterling
The reason I play Humanis as jackbooted thugs that aren't very bright is because to me, they aren't.

The whole premise of Shadowrun is that capitalism and corporations have grown so powerful they literally trump the laws of the nations they operate in. Those corporations can kill anyone on their soil. They can ruin the lives of any of their employees on a whim. They pollute, pillage, steal, and murder... all for a couple percentage point increases in the profit margin. They can behave in any manner they see fit (within limits set by the corporate council, which is made up of.. yep, corporations). The power has shifted completely to the golden rule. The corps have all the gold, so they make all the rules.

And in the midst of that, the Humanis focuses on the section of society that has it technically worse than any other. I expect the major megacorps have mostly (with a few exceptions) human CEOs. So when I look at the SR world, and see a group of people ignoring the very real problem for one that is not only wrong, but totally unoriginal and completely irrelevant to the massive social problems that face the 6th world... yeah, that strikes me as buffoonish.

The 'dumb hick' descriptor was started by another person. I know that Humanis is fronted by average goons who are very stereotypical, but their higher eschelons are filled out with people who are misguided but intelligent and very skilled. But the runners never meet those people. They meet the robed goons holding a march, or trying to torch a dwarf's restaurant, or hassling people for 'fraternizing with the enemy'. That's their right to think that way, but the way they are presented makes them seem... clownish. Let's find the old book with the Humanis Policlub contact and his quotes...

"They're worse than the heathen, these so-called metahumans. They and all who side with them must be annihilated if the true way of the world is ever to be followed. Tell me, have you fallen under their spells, brother?"

"Black, white, or yellow is no longer the question at hand. Now it is simply a matter of us and them. Humans and metahumans."

"I would take my sister's life before I would let her poison our bloodline in marriage to one of them."

And the kicker is the notation at the bottom that claims "The humanis members tend to be pack-animals." They don't make that statement regarding the elf poser gang, and the only similar statement is used in reference to the Der Nachtmachen Policlub member, who "travels in pack of 1d6+1." The original way they were presented was a blatantly racist organization which harbored a violent terrorist group (Alamos 20k) within.

Now, have I used them as intelligent individuals? Yes, several times. But my point is the average person who follows the Humanis creed is not thinking clearly when it comes to blaming whole sections of society for ills they have no control over. I've had the Humanis send in undercover agents with 'elf poser' and 'ork poser' positive qualities to enable them to hinder metahuman-only gangs. I had a background plot where an Ancient gangmember discovered the reason his go-gang and the Spikes (a troll and ork gang) kept butting heads was due to two Humanis poser agents setting up the confrontations to weaken both gangs. The Spikes don't need help hating elves, they needed help finding them, and Humanis was willing to play both sides. But would your average robe-wearer be able to suppress their blatant racism long enough to gain acceptance into an all-metahuman gang? Hardly.
Warlordtheft
And the real nastiness of these humanis goons is not so much the the beatings they do to the hapless metas. It's the "donations" of food or medical care in an ork heavy population, and all of a sudden the number of sterile people in that area shoots up.

nezumi
Keep in mind, characters from the contacts are only a single sample individual, not the template from which all other characters should follow.

Secondly, while megacorps really run the world, the majority of people do not work for a megacorp or a megacorp subsidiary. Something like what, two thirds of all corporations do not have AA or better classification? Those corps DO fall under UCAS laws, and therefore Humanis is very effective. We aren't told that Humanis isn't involve in corporate politics, and I would assume they are (as you pointed out, most CEOs are human), but we really don't get a lot of information on the specifics of corporations (because it would have to be repeated 8 times for 8 different corps). We are just given the general information, generally for the UCAS. Finally, most metahumans fall under the umbrella of the UCAS, not under megacorps boasting extraterritoriality. So working directly with the gov't is taking the fight to their turf. As long as you keep them down in the UCAS, none will climb high enough to jump over to the corporate world and begin to stir stuff up there.
hyzmarca
Remember, Humanis has enough clout to field a viable Presidential Candidate (who probably would have won if Dunkie hadn't decided to run). The chances of a proud KKK member running on a platform of racial hatred getting elected President today aren't very good. In the Sixth World, he was beaten by a dragon by a landslide, but he would have had a very good shot if the dragon hadn't run. The irony of it is that this human candidate is revealed to have fraudulently taken the identity of a murdered ork and it actually helps his campaign, despite the fact that running under a false identity is usually a no-no.
And Brackhaven has a pretty good chance of being Seattle's governor come next election.
Demon_Bob
So the Dragon won because most people did not want to vote for the opposition?
Hmm that sounds familiar.
hobgoblin
your bug standard election that, people vote for the least evil (or the evil they know) of their options...
knasser
QUOTE (Demon_Bob @ Jun 9 2007, 03:23 PM)
So the Dragon won because most people did not want to vote for the opposition?
Hmm that sounds familiar.

Doesn't it just... frown.gif Here in the UK, twice as many people voted against Blair's Labour party as for it, and he gained over 50% of the seats.

The UK government usually points out how a proportional representation system (as opposed to what we have now) would lead to a lot of powerless coalitions that couldn't do anything and would hamstring the country. We can see the damaging effect that it's had on such countries as Germany, most of Scandinavia, Finland and other such countries with backwards standards of living. Oh wait!

Sorry. Rant over. Do we know what sort of voting system was used with Dunklezahn? And was Ghostwalker a state governor anywhere at the time? wink.gif
hyzmarca
Dunkie won because he was absurdly popular. Among all the candidates, he was the most high-profile. He even had his own national talk show. Ever since he first awakened, he did his best to cultivate a good relationship with the metahuman media and present a good face to the public. People actually knew him and what he stood for. At least, people believed that they did. Since the other candidates did not have their own national talk shows their public exposure was limited and they were not nearly on equal footing with Dunkie.

Of course, it didn't hurt that SR readers and players were the ones who actually voted.
Severiin
Addressing schmitzzy's original post, I think that racism in the Sixth World is a lot more complicated than what SR publications typically describe, which Sterling summarized as, "Who cares what that guy's skin color is when that THING over there has hands the size of your head!?"

While I imagine that some social truth inheres in the radical new "racial" differences created by UGE, Goblinization, and SURGE, I agree with yoippari's assertion that the regional and ethnic background of big-m Metahumans (all the subspecies of homo sapiens) in the Sixth World is important and usually overlooked / discounted in SR publications.

While my old SR campaigns, set in Seattle and played in the first edition (and a little in the second), sometimes explored the Humanis Policlub / Alamos 20k racism against non-human (little-m) metahumans, as I return to the Sixth World for a new SR4 campaign set in the S.F. Bay Area, the importance of racisms regarding "Japanese," Aztlaners, elves, and Amerindians seems obvious.

Even as far back as the Neo-Anarchists' Guide to North America, Cal Free was painted as a place of White Anglo Human retrenchment. Once great California, cut off from the U.S.A., spurned by the UCAS, invaded by TT and Aztlan and then duped by the Japanese Imperial State -- consenting / abetting the transformation of the predominantly black or colored East Bay into a "metahuman" ghetto -- the racial logics are foregrounded.

Returning to the original post, I agree with hyzmarca's assertion "that miscegenation is the only remaining sexual taboo in the UCAS." In our 20th century US, anti-miscegenation laws remained legal until 1967 -- twenty-three years after Brown v. Board of Education's repudiation of the "separate but equal" doctrine.

And in the Brown litigation, a substantial debate regarded whether the civil right of access to equal public education might bleed into the social right of free marriage, i.e., the abolition of states' anti-miscegenation statutes. A description of Loving v. Virginia is available at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loving_v._Virginia although it fails to mention the explicit white supremacy that the Supreme Court of Virginia concluded was the state's legitimate purpose in enacting its anti-miscegenation law. (For a copy of the opinion, see http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/f...law/loving.html at Section I.)

Returning from the inadvertent law lecture (sorry about that), I will end by noting that the old anti-miscegenation laws prohibited marriages between "white" people and certain "colored" ones, usually "black" or "Negro" people. These laws typically did not prohibit marriage amongst "colored" people, such as marriage between people of Chinese and African heritage.

So I don't know about the rest of the UCAS, but in Cal Free, I would not be surprised if an anti-metahuman-miscegenation law existed although of course Cal Free's "Wild Wild West / A-Team" themes suggest that such a "national" law would have less importance than the social force (coercion and other violence) of the locale.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012