Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More questions!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Desade
Okay I have another slew of questions, this time I'll leave sniping out of it.

1. What happened to the Redirect spell? It was a favorite of mine for my baddy NPC spell-slingers.

2. Can anyone come up with an explination as to why you can't combine Elemental Strike and Distance Strike together other than the book just saying no? I can't seem to find any reason as to why it won't work in the magical theory provided. I'm thinking of allowing a player to take a version of Elemental Strike that works with Distance Strike but costs double power points. Any insight on good reasons to not let this happen, or vice versa, are appreciated.

3. I'm looking for opinions on Dykote, I'm thinking of making the SR4 translation up the damage by 1 and the AP by 2 for melee weapons, and then a +1/+1 for armor. Again, any insight on this is appreciated. As a sub question to this, I've always been curious, would Dykote on a weapon foci make it not work?

4. Translation of older ware. It seems pretty easy to translate most Cyberware from SR3 into SR4, as far as Bioware it seems that if you halve the body index in most cases and translate it to essence, that you get a good SR4 translation. Some of the light Bioware, mostly cosmetics, have a cost of .1. Would it be silly to have .05 essence cost? Or should I just keep it at the .1?

5. In SR4 players were obviously designed to not by the overpowered cybermonsters and uberomfgmysticninjas of the past. But after handing out Karma a few times, I've noticed under the new Karma suggestions I only seem to be giving out 4 or 5 Karma per adventure, and my players are really struggling to advance their characters. Has anyone else had issues with the low Karma rewards and high cost of improvement? I know this is easily solved by handing out more Karma but I don't want them to grow too powerful too quickly. Some input and opinions would really help.

6. This is more of a flavor question, since SR4 doesn't really have the source material older editions did. Do things like movie theaters and live concerts really exist anymore (live concerts as in stadiums being filled, not clubs)? I know other cultural events are attended live, but the question is geared towards those two specific events for reasons concerning the campaign I am running.
Desade
Forgot one! This is sort of spoilers so I will warn you now with a...

SPOILERS!!!
<<<<
<<<
<<
<

7. Are there any SR books of any edition that make mention of the Horrors? At some point references are going to be made to them in my current campaign, but the only information I have on them is in my old core Earth Dawn book. I seem to recall reading somewhere that there are a whole bunch of them in the deepest and darkest parts of the astral plane and that they're constructing some kind of bridge to get into our side of things.
Jaid
as far as number 7, the adventure harlequins back and a few of the novels use the horrors.

and of course, some critters (wraiths in particular, iirc) are considered to be minor horrors also.
Aaron
QUOTE (Desade)
1. What happened to the Redirect spell? It was a favorite of mine for my baddy NPC spell-slingers.

Did the Redirect spell bounce other spells around? If it did, that's now a metamagical technique called Reflecting.

QUOTE (Desade)
2. Can anyone come up with an explination as to why you can't combine Elemental Strike and Distance Strike together other than the book just saying no? I can't seem to find any reason as to why it won't work in the magical theory provided. I'm thinking of allowing a player to take a version of Elemental Strike that works with Distance Strike but costs double power points. Any insight on good reasons to not let this happen, or vice versa, are appreciated.

The Elemental Strike is more of an aura power, and all about focusing energy into the strike, whereas Distance Strike is about focusing energy across a gap through the mana field. Also, it would be rather munchy, and also outside the role of the adept; if you want to throw lightning, be a Mystic Adept.

QUOTE (Desade)
3. I'm looking for opinions on Dykote, I'm thinking of making the SR4 translation up the damage by 1 and the AP by 2 for melee weapons, and then a +1/+1 for armor. Again, any insight on this is appreciated. As a sub question to this, I've always been curious, would Dykote on a weapon foci make it not work?

It's your game, so you can make it anything you like. I expect rules for it to arrive in Arsenal. In the meantime, though, I imagine it wouldn't add anything to damage, as it doesn't add any noticeable difference to the mass of the weapon, and it's the kinetic energy that causes the damage. I'd give it an AP bonus of -3 or -4, making like an APDS round.

QUOTE (Desade)
4. Translation of older ware. It seems pretty easy to translate most Cyberware from SR3 into SR4, as far as Bioware it seems that if you halve the body index in most cases and translate it to essence, that you get a good SR4 translation. Some of the light Bioware, mostly cosmetics, have a cost of .1. Would it be silly to have .05 essence cost? Or should I just keep it at the .1?

Again, it's your game, so you get to do what you like. If the advantage of the bioware in question is less than that of cats' eyes or a skin pocket, then I'd say go for it.

QUOTE (Desade)
5. In SR4 players were obviously designed to not by the overpowered cybermonsters and uberomfgmysticninjas of the past. But after handing out Karma a few times, I've noticed under the new Karma suggestions I only seem to be giving out 4 or 5 Karma per adventure, and my players are really struggling to advance their characters. Has anyone else had issues with the low Karma rewards and high cost of improvement? I know this is easily solved by handing out more Karma but I don't want them to grow too powerful too quickly. Some input and opinions would really help.

I've never had that problem, but then again I give homework and offer Karma in exchange for it.

On the other hand, it's possible that by "advance" you mean "maximize the specialties." If this is the case, yeah, it's tough, and I think it should be. My players have been advancing their characters mostly by increasing their Attributes, specifically those in which they are weak, and by picking up skills they didn't have but found that they needed (e.g. Climbing).

QUOTE (Desade)
6. This is more of a flavor question, since SR4 doesn't really have the source material older editions did. Do things like movie theaters and live concerts really exist anymore (live concerts as in stadiums being filled, not clubs)? I know other cultural events are attended live, but the question is geared towards those two specific events for reasons concerning the campaign I am running.

Live concerts, definitely. I mean, sure, you can have a couple thousand AR or even VR fans screaming and otherwise rocking out, but they're still obviously computer-generated. You just don't get the same visceral experience that you do at a concert, except through BTL.

The same thing goes with the movie theater, only on a smaller scale. The mob mood enhances the experience.

QUOTE (Desade)
7. Are there any SR books of any edition that make mention of the Horrors? At some point references are going to be made to them in my current campaign, but the only information I have on them is in my old core Earth Dawn book. I seem to recall reading somewhere that there are a whole bunch of them in the deepest and darkest parts of the astral plane and that they're constructing some kind of bridge to get into our side of things.

Street Magic, talks about shadow spirits, insect spirits, and shedim, and mentions that there are planes even deeper and farther from our plane, intimating that Very Bad Things are out there. It's not very specific, so you can make those Very Bad Things be whatever you like. It's your game.
FrankTrollman
1. Redirect was temporally problematic and not that useful in most circumstances. Also it was really confusing.

2. Elemental Strike and Distance Strike are both Street Fighter style powers, and the guy who wrote that section of Street Magic really hates that srrt of thing. Both powers are overcosted and they arne't usable together in order to stop people from playing Ryu or Ken - not for any game balance or Magic Physics reason.

3. Dikote would probably improve AP by a point or so. Meh. It's just diamond, monoswords are in the basic book.

4. Sure.

5. I don't even use Karma anymore, I just hand out additional Build Points. It solves a lot of problems.

6. Flat Screen Movie Theatres are a thing of the past, but holographic trid theatres deifnitely appear in Shadowrun. Like a home trid set, but huge - like an Xbox.

7. There are some horror references in Street Magic, as well as some Horror References in Runner Havens. But really, the Horror Bridge got jock hopped in a very bad book and it's not animmediate threat to the world any more. Now it's more a long the lines of "there are a few horrors loose on the Earth, and they do pointlessly wicked shit sometimes!"

-Frank
Cripplemronion
Aaron:
Would you mind explaining the "homework" that you give? I'm curious as to what you're having your players do.

Thanks.
Aaron
QUOTE (Cripplemronion)
Aaron:
Would you mind explaining the "homework" that you give? I'm curious as to what you're having your players do.

Thanks.

Actually, most of the homework I've given is at the session notes site that one of the players is keeping. You can read what I've used for homework there.

I use homework to try to give the players a better handle on their characters, and to help me guide the campaign. It's kind of like the old Twenty Questions from earlier editions, helping get a handle on who these people (the characters) really are.

lunchbox311
On another thread a while back someone said dikote would be -3AP for a weapon and +1/+1 on armor. Cost would be same as SR3 (so 1000 per sq meter.)

This is the rule I use in my game. As far as availability well... that depends on the game. I would say it would add at least +4 to the item.
Sterling
As far as Dikote goes, I recall it doing one thing in SR2-3 that hasn't been addressed here.

Dikoting a weapon meant a (strength)S axe (your strength was power, and Serious meant six boxes of damage if it hit) became a (str)D axe (upped the damage code one, so a Deadly hit is all boxes filled, good night Gracie). It also meant the weapon would inflict vehicle damage at its base rate. An ork Street Samurai with a strength of 9 would do 9S with a combat axe, 9D if it was dikoted, and 9S to a vehicle/hardened armor. That's to the best of my recollection, anyway.

So if you dikote a combat axe (and converting the ork's 9 str to 6 in SR4), the base damage would be 7P. Adding a negative AP works, but is that addressing the damage increase from SR3? And how does it work against vehicles? I'd probably look at reducing the -3 three AP modifier and maybe doing a +2 power, -2 ap houserule. So the dikoted SR4 combat axe in the hands of that ork would do 9P, -2 ap on top of the -1 ap the combat axe already has. So total damage 9P, -3AP. Maybe +1 power and -2 AP is enough. I still don't know how I'd rule it versus barriers or vehicle armor, etc. I do know the stuff would be really expensive and take a while to get.
knasser

If you're going to create a dikote version for SR4 it ought to just affect AP, not damage. My reasoning is that if I cut your finger off with a knife it does X damage in game terms. It's not going to make a difference if the knife was any sharper. But it would make a difference if you were wearing motorbike gloves as it would affect whether or not I did cut off your finger.
Sterling
QUOTE (knasser)
If you're going to create a dikote version for SR4 it ought to just affect AP, not damage. My reasoning is that if I cut your finger off with a knife it does X damage in game terms. It's not going to make a difference if the knife was any sharper. But it would make a difference if you were wearing motorbike gloves as it would affect whether or not I did cut off your finger.

I can see your point, and remembering what I do about Dikote, I can agree that sharper is not necessarily more damaging.

But I also have to point out that Dikote allowed you to do damage to barriers and vehicles in a manner that normal, unDikoted weapons could not. So if my Dikoted combat axe can chop into a car's vehicular armor, then I could see it doing more damage to the average (meta)human.

While it's untouched by WizKids/FanPro/IMR, then any house rule you choose would be just fine. I'm remembering the unarmed combat versus firearms thread, and after someone claimed the only melee weapon worth using was the monofilament whip... I can see Dikote (at +X power, -Y AP) helping equalize that field. I do realize that +1 power is equivalent to 2 points of strength, but the description of a diamond-like substance applied to a surface rendering it harder to penetrate (armor) or more damaging and able to cleave through vehicle armor (weapon) makes a power increase justifiable. I would never go above +2 power, though.
MITJA3000+
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
But really, the Horror Bridge got jock hopped in a very bad book and it's not animmediate threat to the world any more.
-Frank

Which book are you talking about? Please enlighten me.
knasser

Regarding the Dikote, obviously you can houserule however you like, and I'm not trying to say otherwise. Do whatever works best for you. But if I stick a knife into your belly up to the hilt, and I do the same with one that is extra-sharp, I don't see it making any difference to how injured you are. Once the hardness of a material is exceeded, additional sharpness wont make a difference. A steel knife passed that point with the human body long before you coated it with diamond. That may not be the case with a car door, though. Which is why I think it should be an AP modifier, not a damage modifier.

Anyway, I'm done. So long as you understand my point (and I think you do), then I have no problem with disagreement.

-K.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (knasser)
Regarding the Dikote, obviously you can houserule however you like, and I'm not trying to say otherwise. Do whatever works best for you. But if I stick a knife into your belly up to the hilt, and I do the same with one that is extra-sharp, I don't see it making any difference to how injured you are. Once the hardness of a material is exceeded, additional sharpness wont make a difference. A steel knife passed that point with the human body long before you coated it with diamond. That may not be the case with a car door, though. Which is why I think it should be an AP modifier, not a damage modifier.

Anyway, I'm done. So long as you understand my point (and I think you do), then I have no problem with disagreement.

-K.

I vote with knasser. Furthermore, I add the reason that an AP modifier is nice, desirable, and generally worth the investment for a good weapon.

A DV modifier is generally: OMG WTF u dont have dicoat ur a fking n00b LOL!!!1

In english, that means that a DV modifier threatens to make Dikote too good, and if it is absolutely required to have a weapon be non-laughable then it is probably too powerful.
As always YMMV, and a DV mod for Dikote could be a good way to emphasize melee combat if you feel that it is underpowered and would like to see more of it in your games.
sunnyside
The horror book was "Harelquins back". Though it isn't like they stated out a bloatform or anything. Novels touch on the subject more and occasionally let one slip through to our world (Worlds without end was the title I believe).

And if you look at the picture of a sprite and read the shadowtalk in whatever book SR1 had for critters it's pretty clear it's a windling.

Anyway the bottom line is if you want to add horrors to SR you'd have to stat them yourselves. I'm sure that discussion takes up pages somewhere.

Adarael
Paranormal Animals of Europe is the book in question.
Dashifen
QUOTE (MITJA3000+)
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Jun 9 2007, 12:20 PM)
But really, the Horror Bridge got jock hopped in a very bad book and it's not animmediate threat to the world any more.
-Frank

Which book are you talking about? Please enlighten me.

The old Dragon Heart triology of novels also focused on the Horrors, or more specifically, keeping them from manifesting in this world in the late 2050's.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012