Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Enthralling Performance and Brawling
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Unarmed
I'm currently putting together a character who I wanted to be a former Orkish bareknuckle boxing champion. He's got all the usual adept powers for fighting barehanded but all the truely great boxers that you see on television and such make money because not only are they good fighters, but they are larger-than-life personalities, so I wanted to take a few more socially-oriented adept powers as well.

Anyways, I was wondering if the GMs on this board would consider letting enthralling performance apply to unarmed combat. In other words, when he was fighting in the ring, his movements were so fluid and artistic as to be mesmerizing. It's often said that people take fighting to the level of an art form, would this work? I could take a separate artisan skill with a specialization of fighting if that would make it less powergamey.
Eryk the Red
I would require he take Artisan to represent his skills as a performer. Essentially, the Unarmed Combat skill is how effective he is, and the Artisan skill is how good he looks doing it.
pbangarth
The Power description in SM (p. 176-177) says the GM could allow the Enthralling Performance to apply directly to Unarmed Combat, eg. to the Martial Arts specialization, but if the GM doesn't like that, the suggestion by Eryk the Red seems like a good implementation.

As an aside, it seems to me that Enthralling Performance should always apply to a specialization of the broader skill, for example to a particular musical instrument as opposed to the whole Artisan skill, which is very broadly defined.
Dashifen
I'd allow it. Plus it's a damn cool use of an underused power wink.gif

<hijack>I just thought of an interesting one: Enthralling Performance: Running. As your melee fighter is running towards all the gun-toting bad-guys, they're suddenly struck by the almost leonine grace and speed with which he approaches. As they stare dumbfoundedly at your approach, they suddenly miss the fact that they're in a dangerous situation and pause for a moment. Probably right until either (a) the rest of the team blows them away or (b) you get in range and slaughter them with your elite ninja skills.</hijack>
lunchbox311
One of my friend's and I were thinking about this. We have orc Ninja Adept Twins who have a lot of stealth but also have Traceless Walk, Wall Running, and Gliding.

We were thinking of taking the enthralling performance on our martial arts and using it to mesmerize our opponents as we systematically "sneak" up on them and rip them apart.

cool.gif
Demon_Bob
QUOTE (Dashifen)
Enthralling Performance: Running.

and here I was thinking Bay-Watch. nyahnyah.gif
Kyoto Kid
...Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee! No one is as beautiful as Muhammad Ali!"
toturi
QUOTE (Demon_Bob)
QUOTE (Dashifen @ Jun 11 2007, 01:29 PM)
Enthralling Performance: Running.

and here I was thinking Bay-Watch. nyahnyah.gif

Evil minds think alike.
Da9iel
Does it mean I'm gay if I was thinking of Daniel Day-Lewis? I never saw the movie, but I remember endless slow motion running on the TV (tele for you Brits) advertisements.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012