Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR FPS Review
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
ludomastro
For those that care; here is a review of the FPS:

Review
Aaron
The magic has also transformed some humans into trolls, dwarves, and elves, complete with racial benefits like increased magical power, natural armor and the ability to siphon magic away from others.

Wha...?

You can also transform into a puff of smoke and covertly drop an antimagic generator near your enemies, rendering their magic power moot.

Whuzuwhahuh?

And then there’s the fun of hovering high above the action in a glider and picking off rivals with a sniper rifle.

What the ... well, okay, I can see that.

For instance, become a hulking troll with a minigun and purchase Smartlink technology. You can tear through anything without hitting allies.

Okay, good.

But the way to win friends and discourage enemies is to learn how to resurrect fallen allies ...

Okay, bad.

It's not that I don't think the game is drek and that they could have made an actual Shadowrun FPS ... wait, yes it is.

Zolhex
Well this has been covered in another thread already but hey seeing as you went to the trouble to post it again and twice at that I'll reflect what another poster said in the other thread.

This reviewer also seems to be of the thought that FASA is still a company.

Not only is the game massively wrong in 90% of it concepts the reviewer doesn't even know which company owns the pen & paper version of the game let alone who's publishing it jeez.
ludomastro
QUOTE (Casazil)
Well this has been covered in another thread already but hey seeing as you went to the trouble to post it again and twice at that I'll reflect what another poster said in the other thread.

This reviewer also seems to be of the thought that FASA is still a company.

Not only is the game massively wrong in 90% of it concepts the reviewer doesn't even know which company owns the pen & paper version of the game let alone who's publishing it jeez.

You are correct. I posted so that everyone could see how ... unfortunate ... the confusion will be. However, there are some who will come this way due to this ... this ... - is abomination too strong a word? - so some good will come of this.

Yes, I posted twice as there are a few who like to camp out in SR or SR4 exclusively.
toturi
If you simply turned off your RPG SR knowledge off and went in and played the SR FPS, it is quite nice actually, not that much different from many other FPS out there but not bad nonetheless. I think the reviewer does know who owns the PnP version but didn't bother to elaborate because those who know he didn't need to tell, those who didn't won't need to know. The rules for the SR FPS is different from that of the SR RPG, but conceptually the basic magic + future tech concept of SR stays the same.

If you look at it as a whole new ballgame, that's when you actually get to enjoy it, instead of looking at where it differs from the PnP version.
Zolhex
Well my problem is he mentions the P-n-P game and if those who don't know were to think well I like this shooter lets see what reviews it has.

They go looking see this review and go oh hey it was a P-n-P game lets look up FASA so they type in as would seem obvious www.fasa.com and then they get a web page for Financial Aid.

This leads them to think the game is dead and we lose a potenial new player.

As to the game I could care less about it one way or the other as I don't like first person shooters remembering button mashing seaquences or using 90 macros to play a game just is not fun to me.

I play role-playing games which yes are more adventure games that role-playing and yes you can run right through and win but you miss the story which I think makes it a role-playing game.

I do rarely play a good simulation game Civ useally or a stratagy game war/starcraft, warlords.

though if it's not an RPG then it is usealy a puzzle game that requires one to think before they act.

Very rarely I'll play a spelling game but man my spelling sucks so I don't do that too much lol.
Lazerface
QUOTE (Casazil)
As to the game I could care less about it one way or the other as I don't like first person shooters remembering button mashing seaquences or using 90 macros to play a game just is not fun to me.

I don't think there are any button sequences or macros to speak of. You DO have to assign stuff to 3 buttons but that's it.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (toturi @ Jun 12 2007, 01:53 AM)
but conceptually the basic magic + future tech concept of SR stays the same.

The basic concept of Shadowrun is the struggle of individualism against collectivism. Magic+future is just a backdrop.

Casazil: about giant button sequences and macros, this is a shooter, not a fighting game. Though a Shadowrun fighting game would be pretty awesome if done right...

~J
Mr. Man
Pretty much any game would be pretty awesome if done right.

All they had to do with the FPS was set it in the world. Make it a "matrix game" featuring Karl Kombatmage with ads for NERPS throughout and it wouldn't matter how inaccurate it is. The average joe in Shadowrun knows as much about the limitations of magic as the RL game devs do.
Slash_Thompson
QUOTE (Mr. Man)
Pretty much any game would be pretty awesome if done right.

All they had to do with the FPS was set it in the world. Make it a "matrix game" featuring Karl Kombatmage with ads for NERPS throughout and it wouldn't matter how inaccurate it is. The average joe in Shadowrun knows as much about the limitations of magic as the RL game devs do.

I would buy a copy of this for all of my friends; and this would have been an excellent way to make a 'faithful' tie-in to shadowrun and still get to play as fast and as loose with canon as you like.
Eryk the Red
I also cried out at how much they deviated from the source material when I first saw this game. But I've played the demo for it, and, regardless of how far it breaks from continuity, it is a very fun game. I might even buy it (which is high praise coming from me).
Abstruse
BTW, FASA Interactive IS still a company. It was the video game and VR development arm of the original FASA responsible for the MechWarrior PC games. When FASA started to crumble, they sold the company to Microsoft. It's the last vestige of the original FASA left.

The Abstruse One
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012