Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas Mask vs. Respirator
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Gray Vagabond
According to the book (and the 1.5 errata) gas masks provide complete immunity to inhaled toxins, while respirators just add dice to resist said toxins. A gas mask costs only 100 nuyen while the respitators are 100*rating (so from 100 -- 600). Not to mention that gas masks have no availability rating, while a respirator's availability is 2*rating. Why would you buy a respirator when a gas mask is cheaper, easier to get, and more effective?

The only possible advantage to the respirator I could think of is that the gas mask covers the whole face, while the respirator only covers the nose and mouth. Thus with a respirator you can use goggles and such -- but can't you get, like, contact lenses that can do just about anything you could need goggles to do?

I tried searching the forum for this stuff but came up dry.
Ravor
Because when you come inside its far easier to slip your Respirator into your pocket then it is to deal with a big bulky Gas Mask.

Plus guys/gals wearing Gas Masks never get dates.
Jack Kain
Well first a Gas Mask provides a +2 bonus on resistance tests, not immunity.

Other then that I can see people wearing rating 1 Respirators when ever they go to certain places in the city.
odinson
QUOTE (Jack Kain)

Other then that I can see people wearing rating 1 Respirators when ever they go to certain places in the city.

Was that errataed? My book says immunity as well.
Caine Hazen
QUOTE (odinson)
QUOTE (Jack Kain @ Jun 13 2007, 01:37 PM)

It was errated in the 1.5 to be immunity; which is what is currently online.
odinson
QUOTE (Caine Hazen)
QUOTE (odinson @ Jun 13 2007, 02:53 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Kain @ Jun 13 2007, 01:37 PM)

It was errated in the 1.5 to be immunity; which is what is currently online.

I've got a first printing book that says immunity. Maybe it doesn't. Under the gas mask description it says +2, I was thinking of the table on p245 where it has gas mask listed as immunity.
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Ravor)

Hmm sounds like you have never heard of that bar in the Ork Underground, gas masks there would not stop that crowd of hound dawgs. biggrin.gif
Jaid
gas mask are what you where when you are expecting chemical warfare.

respirators are what you wear when the pollution index is high, or because you are allergic to pollution, etc.

walking around with a gas mask on is kinda like walking around with a sign that says "hey, i regularly face chemical attacks", and since that's not exactly *normal*, it's not desireable from a shadowrunning point of view.

in other words, it's much the same reason people might buy holdouts, instead of just bringing an ares alpha everywhere they go.

(also, in SR3, respirators could have a mod that allowed them to be used underwater)
kzt
QUOTE (Jaid)
(also, in SR3, respirators could have a mod that allowed them to be used underwater)

I think SR confused what are technically called SCBAs and filtering respirators in various places. An SCBA is what firefighters wear in fires and what guys in full level A hazmat gear use. It includes an air supply tank worn on the back and is heavy and bulky.
Ravor
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Jun 13 2007, 03:08 PM)
QUOTE (Ravor @ Jun 13 2007, 01:34 PM)

Hmm sounds like you have never heard of that bar in the Ork Underground, gas masks there would not stop that crowd of hound dawgs. biggrin.gif

Ok let me rephrase, guys/gals wearing Gas Masks never get dates outside of the 'bag over the head' crowd. smokin.gif
hyzmarca
Wearing a gas mask looks perfectly normal and would not arouse the slightest bit of suspicion if you're also wearing a rubber body suit with holes cut out so that your genitals are fully accessible.

2bit
gah! someone's been reading my blog...
Demon_Bob
QUOTE (2bit)
gah! someone's been reading my blog...

What?? You Blogg? Where is it? Umm? Wait. Perhaps, I really am better off not knowing?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012