Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Matrix?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Bastard
My table group just started playing Shadowrun again, using 3rd Edition rules. I am running a long campaign and want to include the matrix, which we've usually simplified into a couple decking test rolls.

I understand the majority of the tests/counter-tests, but I cant remember all the rules for creating a system. It was probably 2nd Ed that had the different types of nodes and what they do, and how to create your own system. I may just not be able to find it in the 3rd Ed., but I just read the whole section and may have missed it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Kagetenshi
SR3 p205 for assigning security value and subsystem ratings, you have to choose the security code yourself, and generating a security sheaf is on page 211.

~J
Bastard
Got that... what I am looking for is how to create the system as in placing the nodes. I think it was the second edition that had the different type of nodes and there functions. For example: The access node was a triangle, data file node I think was a square, and a slave node was a circle. It also listed the functions of these nodes, and I think there were a total of five or six. Where do I locate this information?
Kagetenshi
Yeah, they don't do that anymore. You have hosts, which connect to each other however you want, and each host is created as per the rules I mentioned. Inside a host, everything is accessible through standard tests.

~J
Bastard
Ok, thanks. So Im not retarded or blind. I guess my maps will just be rather small. =]
Snow_Fox
we early on decided to have deckers as NPC's but any time we had to ride along, we used the old 2nd ed stuff.
Platinum
Decker NPC's are a cop out.... and really take away from a great element in the game.
Use the matrix host generator.
http://elsewhere.cattail.nu/cgi-bin/matrix.cgi

Being a huge decking fan, I do recommend going with VR2/Matrix rules. 2rd edition is a slightly expanded version of VR2. It is really simplified, and it can add alot of drama. I would pretty much recommend that everytime, the decker gets on site so that they cut down tn's security tally, and lag.

Instead of nodes, there is 1 system, and the system will find the datafiles, transfer them to you and allow you to interface with devices when you successfully hack by running instructions against systems operations list. There is an "Idiot's guide to decking" which is good but you have to spend some time reading.

I do recommend some changes to decking rules.
1. change initiative so that you don't cap reaction at 10.
2. make it so that all actions happen in order of initiative, instead of separating matrix, astral and mundane actions.
3. encephalon can perform a number of exclusive actions equal to it's rating, so that you don't have to just sit there and no nothing while you download/decrypt. (It is a subprocessor that does stuff like that for you)
4. security tally's do not add across systems, only "sub systems" other computers buried inside the same network.
5. I personally just got ride of the masking I thought it was really stupid. (but this is not a recommendation for everyone)
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Platinum)
2. make it so that all actions happen in order of initiative, instead of separating matrix, astral and mundane actions.

Do you have a page reference for this? It's possible I just missed it (or ignored it many years ago when I read the rulebook all the way through), but I don't remember them being separated at all.

~J
Platinum
I am trying to look it up ... I came across it somewhere, and it really put me off the init change system. I thought I saw it in matrix somewhere.
Bastard
Thanks!

QUOTE (Platinum)

I usually run the decker's complete turn or two, then the teams complete turn. Less confusion for me that way.

QUOTE (Platinum)
3. encephalon can perform a number of exclusive actions equal to it's rating, so that you don't have to just sit there and no nothing while you download/decrypt. (It is a subprocessor that does stuff like that for you)

Is this a new rule? Or is this one in M&M or another sourcebook? I will have to suggest that to my decker for his next upgrade.

Thanks for the links.
Kagetenshi
He's suggesting a houserule. That rule exists nowhere in canon.

~J
Link
QUOTE (Platinum)
I am trying to look it up ... I came across it somewhere, and it really put me off the init change system.  I thought I saw it in matrix somewhere.

From SR3 p222. When actions occur in the same combat phase resolve astral then matrix then physical.
Combat Turns in the Matrix are 3 seconds long, the same as standard Shadowrun Combat Turns. (Though 3 seconds is an endlessly long time In actual computer use, the 3-second turn enables gamemasters to more easily synchronize Matrix actions and physical actions elsewhere in the game.) Resolve any simultaneous actions In an Initiative Pass in the following order: astral actions. Matrix actions, and physical actions, with the following exceptions. If a decker declares a Delayed Action (p103) to wait for something to happen in the physical world, resolve his action along with any physical actions of the Initiative Pass.
Kagetenshi
That's totally different—it's simultaneous actions, meaning that initiative ties across "worlds" are autobroken. A Rigger with init 29 still goes before a Decker with init 28 who goes before a projecting Mage with init 27.

~J
Platinum
Ahhh ... sorry about that fellas. I was still playing things the proper way, I had just misread that, and wrote off that rule.

And yes, the encephalon rule is a house rule. I was playing the suggested rules as house rules. None are canon.
Bastard
Forgiven... but only cause I like the rule.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012