Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Two Questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Alonzo
I'm new to SR4 and I had a few questions I figured you guys would be able to help me out with.

First, is there any price I should be looking at for street drugs? Two of the players in my group have the addiction drawback and I'm wondering how much they should be paying for their stuff.

Second, can a piece of equipment be subscribed to multiple commlinks at once?

Thanks in advance.
Crusufix
One on my players characters has a moderate addiction to alcohol. I just increased his lifestyle cost by 20%.

Of course this is mostly because alcohol is so easy to come by I just assume he's always got some around his place. Hard to come by drugs I'd prolly start making them pay for specifically, including availability checks and fixer mark-ups.

As for question 2.. I'd have to look it up. I personally don't see why not, but I'd have to look up the specific rules if there are any.
Aaron
QUOTE (Alonzo)
I'm new to SR4 and I had a few questions I figured you guys would be able to help me out with.

Welcome aboard.

QUOTE (Alonzo)
First, is there any price I should be looking at for street drugs?  Two of the players in my group have the addiction drawback and I'm wondering how much they should be paying for their stuff.

There's no listing, but we knew that already. But there is a listed price for another "drug," that being BTL chips, at 20-200+. I'd run your guideline off of that.

QUOTE (Alonzo)

Yes, up to twice a device's System Rating. Keep in mind that "subscribing" means "keeping an open link," the advantage of which is that one doesn't have to spend a Complex Action to log in to the device.

QUOTE (Alonzo)
Thanks in advance.

You're welcome in retrospect. =i)
Alonzo
Thanks biggrin.gif

Just one clarification. I knew how many devices a commlink could subscribe to. I was wondering if multiple commlinks could hook up to one thing (like perhaps two people controlling one drone.)

Thanks again.
Cheops
Yes multiple commlinks can hook up to the one node (such as another commlink, drone, or host for eg).
Critias
If you have access to SR3 books, maybe of the same drugs that are in SR4 have specific, given, prices and availability ratings in Man And Machine (an SR3 sourcebook). They might be a guideline, if nothing else (I know lots of other prices have changed between editions, but they can at least give you an idea of how the drugs are priced in comparison to one another).
Alonzo
Again, thanks everyone. Just one more thing.

My group had to break into a security warehouse a retrieve a file from a node running on a low signal (so they had to go inside.) They went in before the file/security was there, and decided to place a little spy drone in the room. They had a cool idea, so I let them do it, even though I was unsure of it's legality. They hacked the security node, subscribed the drone, then went outside, leaving the drone. Once the file was put on the node they accessed it from outside, through the drone, and copied the file.

Is that legitimate?
Backgammon
That's insanely clever. Extra karma for them.
Jaid
a wireless signal left there for that long should probably be detected imo, unless some pretty hefty precautions are taken to make it not noticeable (hacking the network to make it treat the signal as being there normally, for example).

if, however, there was some reason the drone wouldn't be detected as a non-standard wireless signal, i suppose that could work.
HappyDaze
One on my players characters has a moderate addiction to alcohol. I just increased his lifestyle cost by 20%.

Holy crap! That can get silly really fast since alcohol tastes may not scale with Lifestyle. I'd look to find a 'per fix' price and then multiply that by the frequency of use.
kzt
QUOTE (HappyDaze)
Holy crap! That can get silly really fast since alcohol tastes may not scale with Lifestyle. I'd look to find a 'per fix' price and then multiply that by the frequency of use.

It depends on the person. I've know alcoholics who drank a case of beer a week, others who spent their Friday paycheck by the time the bar closed on Saturday morning.
Alonzo
QUOTE (Jaid)
a wireless signal left there for that long should probably be detected imo, unless some pretty hefty precautions are taken to make it not noticeable (hacking the network to make it treat the signal as being there normally, for example).

if, however, there was some reason the drone wouldn't be detected as a non-standard wireless signal, i suppose that could work.

If other nodes operate like commlinks, I assumed they just stuck it in hidden and nobody would notice.
Crusufix
QUOTE (HappyDaze)

Yeah.. it works for the lifestyle he has right now but if could get rediculous. If his lifestyle were to change I'd prolly just tack on a static number based off his current payments.
Demon_Bob
QUOTE (Crusufix @ Jun 17 2007, 12:32 AM)

Thats the trouble with addiction is no real guidelines to go on.

A percentage of current lifestyle sounds good. The problem comes when the character changes lifestyle. If he suddenly goes to squatter or street his addiction costs shouldn't drop by an appropriate amount. Although I can see it dropping some as he is trying to find cheaper drugs/alcohol. What happens if his lifestlye goes up though does it raise accordingly as he is buying more expensive alcohol or just using more? Does it stay about the same? How about raising or lowering the addiction cost 1/2 the difference of the percentage of the new lifestyle?

QUOTE (Alonzo)

I would say that a device could receive orders from multiple commlinks. It could broadcast so that anyone with the correct encryption code could interpret the data stream. Although you might want to have it recognize one comm as admin and the rest as security or less.
Moon-Hawk
I give out drugs for free, in my game. If anyone asks, I wave my hands, mutter something about "lifestyle", and move on.
The thing is, I want my characters to use more drugs. It's gritty, and cool, and fits with the setting, and if I start charging them for it I'll end up with a bunch of Mormons. <insert polygamy joke here>
bibliophile20
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
...I'll end up with a bunch of Mormons. <insert polygamy joke here>

How about a Schlock Mercenary joke instead?
Demon_Bob
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
I give out drugs for free, in my game. If anyone asks, I wave my hands, mutter something about "lifestyle", and move on.
The thing is, I want my characters to use more drugs. It's gritty, and cool, and fits with the setting, and if I start charging them for it I'll end up with a bunch of Mormons. <insert polygamy joke here>

Can I get points for being a tea-tottaling non-drug user.
2bit
QUOTE (Alonzo)
Again, thanks everyone. Just one more thing.

My group had to break into a security warehouse a retrieve a file from a node running on a low signal (so they had to go inside.) They went in before the file/security was there, and decided to place a little spy drone in the room. They had a cool idea, so I let them do it, even though I was unsure of it's legality. They hacked the security node, subscribed the drone, then went outside, leaving the drone. Once the file was put on the node they accessed it from outside, through the drone, and copied the file.

Is that legitimate?

sounds legitimate to me. I don't think they even needed to get in the warehouse in the first place, if the drone was able to get there on its own. If your only defense was a low signal rating on the device to be hacked, all you need is to get a trusted signal repeater (subscribed drone works) close enough to get in the device's signal range without breaking contact with your commlink.
Demon_Bob
QUOTE (2bit)
QUOTE (Alonzo @ Jun 17 2007, 06:50 PM)
Again, thanks everyone.  Just one more thing.

My group had to break into a security warehouse a retrieve a file from a node running on a low signal (so they had to go inside.)  They went in before the file/security was there, and decided to place a little spy drone in the room.  They had a cool idea, so I let them do it, even though I was unsure of it's legality.  They hacked the security node, subscribed the drone, then went outside, leaving the drone.  Once the file was put on the node they accessed it from outside, through the drone, and copied the file.

Is that legitimate?

sounds legitimate to me. I don't think they even needed to get in the warehouse in the first place, if the drone was able to get there on its own. If your only defense was a low signal rating on the device to be hacked, all you need is to get a trusted signal repeater (subscribed drone works) close enough to get in the device's signal range without breaking contact with your commlink.

Sound legal.

The node was already hacked, so as long as they were able to maintain the required axcess level they should be able to transfer the file without problems.
I would roll (behind a screen) saying that because of the nature of the file that the Systems Administrator might go through and alter the axcess permissions. For the first time regardless of what you, roll he doesn't. That way you reward a good idea and let the characters know that there is a chance of it failing the next time.
knasser
QUOTE (Demon_Bob)

Can I get points for being a tea-tottaling non-drug user.

Probably only from me. I suspect we're in the minority.

The drone relay is perfectly legal in my opinion. If you can build a bridge to hack through, then you can hack.
Cheops
QUOTE (Demon_Bob)
QUOTE (2bit @ Jun 18 2007, 10:25 AM)
QUOTE (Alonzo @ Jun 17 2007, 06:50 PM)
Again, thanks everyone.  Just one more thing.

My group had to break into a security warehouse a retrieve a file from a node running on a low signal (so they had to go inside.)  They went in before the file/security was there, and decided to place a little spy drone in the room.  They had a cool idea, so I let them do it, even though I was unsure of it's legality.  They hacked the security node, subscribed the drone, then went outside, leaving the drone.  Once the file was put on the node they accessed it from outside, through the drone, and copied the file.

Is that legitimate?

Sound legal.

The node was already hacked, so as long as they were able to maintain the required axcess level they should be able to transfer the file without problems.
I would roll (behind a screen) saying that because of the nature of the file that the Systems Administrator might go through and alter the axcess permissions. For the first time regardless of what you, roll he doesn't. That way you reward a good idea and let the characters know that there is a chance of it failing the next time.

What I've been doing for this in my games is have my players make an Edit roll to "hide" the connection, file, video loop, etc in the target system. This becomes the difficulty for spiders (or anyone else) to notice the changes.

That is a pretty cool idea. Note that they also could have done it with many other devices. A 10 nuyen.gif jacket with a 500 nuyen.gif signal upgrade now has signal 4. Suddenly that ratty old jacket that no one knows who it belongs to or cares about is spying on their business...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012