Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Karma=Build Point character creation
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
ZorbaTHut
I'm looking at starting a Shadowrun game, and one thing that's always bugged me about Shadowrun character creation is that "build points" and "karma points" work in entirely different ways for no particularly obvious reason. I was hoping SR4 was different, but I ran across this page which goes to great length to demonstrate a lot of the inequalities.

I remember seeing a page a few weeks ago with a karma-point-based build system for creating characters which, overall, seemed very balanced and really discouraged metagaming "if I get it at character creation it's cheaper". Unfortunately I can't find it anymore, and I don't even remember if it was SR3 or SR4.

Help?

I'm almost tempted to try reconstructing it, but I'm lazy and want someone to have done it for me.
Da9iel
I think you might be looking for Serbitar's system. Seeing as it's linked in his sig, I don't think he'd mind if I quoted it to you.
Serbitar's Extremely Complicated Karma creation SYstem SECKSY v1.8

This is an Excel sheet that automatically implements the SECKSY rules and lets you generate characters. It covers only karma aspects of character creation and advancement.

Find any one of his posts and click the link in the sig if you need more info.
ZorbaTHut
QUOTE (Da9iel)
I think you might be looking for Serbitar's system. Seeing as it's linked in his sig, I don't think he'd mind if I quoted it to you.
Serbitar's Extremely Complicated Karma creation SYstem SECKSY v1.8

This is an Excel sheet that automatically implements the SECKSY rules and lets you generate characters. It covers only karma aspects of character creation and advancement.

Find any one of his posts and click the link in the sig if you need more info.

Well, that wasn't actually the specific thing I was looking for, but that's still an impressively good answer. First off, that's actually quite good and very close to what I wanted. Second, searching for it on Google yielded a big PDF describing his system, which mentioned in the very first page BeCKS, which turned out to be what I was originally looking for but which is only SR3.

So, not only did you answer my question, but you answered questions I didn't even know I had. Not bad at all. Thanks biggrin.gif
Serbitar
Damn, too late.
Buster
Wow that's really awesome! Thanks Serbitar.

How much have you playtested this karma creation system to see how well it stands up? Has anyone else here playtested it independently? How do you like it?

EDIT: Oops, found a couple of bugs: all the addictions give the same karma bonus and some of the quality costs are quite low (like astral chameleon and mentor spirit).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012