Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Critters
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Jimson
I know there has several posts throughout the boards about critters for 3e and if they have been updated to 4e. I recall someone saying they were working on it.

So, has anyone updated the critters for 3e?
GWCarver
I had done a spreadsheet with a large list of them and was going to post it. But decided I didn't do a good job on it. I have been planning on reworking it but haven't had the time.
knasser
Shapeshifters and Unicorns on my site. Unicorns are probably better.

I had thought about doing more conversions, but turned to other projects. Meant to do Gargoyles at some point.
lunchbox311
I glanced through the critters 3 book a while back and noticed most of the stats for critters in there that are in 4 as well seem to transfer over almost exactly the same. The damage values for attacks are different, but otherwise it is pretty much the same.

QUOTE ( Critters page 22)

Barghest stats

B:7
Q: 6*4
S:5
C:-
I:3/6
W:3
E:6Z
R:6

Init 6+2D6
Attack: 9S
Powers: Enhanced Senses (Sonar,) Fear, Paralyzing Howl

QUOTE ( SR4 page 292)

Barghest stats

B 7
A 5
R 6
S 5
C 3
I  3
L  3
W 3
EDG 4
ESS  6
M    4
Init 9  2IP

Movement: 15/50
Skills: Intimidation 4, Perception 3, Tracking 3, Unarmed
Combat 3
Powers: Dual Natured, Enhanced Senses (Sonar), Fear,
Natural Weapon (Bite: DV 5P, AP 0), Paralyzing Howl

Looks to me that they are fairly close to each other. I would probably just convert them over pretty much point for point. For the split stats like I/L just take the first number and apply it to both stats and take the second number then halve it and make it the perception skill rating (at least that looks like what was done here.)

Edit: the intuition/logic thing can be tricky. I guess just use your own judgement there.
Jimson
I was thinking about doing that, but like GWCarver, I don't have the time. I guess I'll do a case by case update as I put together runs.

Anyone have a particular favorite critter they like using in runs? Does anyone like using critters?
Zolhex
In theory this is one book they said (at least at one time) was comeing out for 4th.
Running Wild - Critters, pets, and paranormal guard animals
GWCarver
Is there a way to post files up here? I could throw up the sheet I have and maybe someone else could check it over.
lunchbox311
QUOTE (GWCarver @ Jun 20 2007, 11:21 AM)
Is there a way to post files up here?  I could throw up the sheet I have and maybe someone else could check it over.

Try uploading here and giving us a link.

http://putstuff.putfile.com/
GWCarver
Download Critters_Updatev1.xls

That should be a link to the xls.

This is very rough and contains some critters I pulled from mythology and some I never finished. I tend to just make ones for my games as needed. Let me know how it works and what you think.
lunchbox311
QUOTE (GWCarver)
Download Critters_Updatev1.xls

That should be a link to the xls.

This is very rough and contains some critters I pulled from mythology and some I never finished. I tend to just make ones for my games as needed. Let me know how it works and what you think.

I like it. It will add some nice variety to my games for critter encounters.

cool.gif
Jimson
I agree. It looks great. Thanks. Does anyone use many critters in their run?
lunchbox311
QUOTE (Jimson)
Does anyone use many critters in their run?

It depends on the situation. There are potentials for critter ad-nasuem.

Gouls Vampires and Wendigos seem to love the urban setting so cities can be full of them; not to mention everyones favorite Devil Rat. smile.gif

Corps use the dogs and such for guard animals so there is plenty of potential for them there.

Outside of the urban jungle there is even more room.

Packs of animals roam the various wilderness environments. Some of the exotic ones would be deep wilderness areas (be it mountain, jungle, desert, or what ever.)

Honestly I like to have a few here and there for flavor. Too many and it starts to look like a couple of the cancer games (namely D&D or Rifts.)
Critias
"Cancer games?"
Larsine
QUOTE (Critias)
"Cancer games?"

Games that give you cancer:

http://www.shadowrunrpg.com/resources/faq.shtml#1, 8th question.

http://catalystgamelabs.com/faq/ last question.

Lars
Grinder
QUOTE (Casazil)
In theory this is one book they said (at least at one time) was comeing out for 4th.
Running Wild - Critters, pets, and paranormal guard animals

It's relase date was pushed back a lot, it seems. It's not even mentioned in the latest news on srrpg.com.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012