Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flamethrower vs Ignite
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ravor
Although I understand that Ignite is the spell designed for such things, I was wondering whether or not people would allow a (Force 1) Flamethrower spell to act as a 'poor man's' Ignite or if even 1P Fire Damage would be more then enough to burn the entire cig/cigar/ect to ash as well as likely burning off the foolish Mage's facial hair. (Personally I lean towards the latter, but was wondering what other people would do in their games.)

*Edit*

However, I do get slightly conflicted when I think about the extra Drain that the Mage would have to resist from using Flamethrower over Ignite.

*Edit 2.0*

Also on a related note, what about other non-combat uses for Combat Spells? Would a (Force 1) Lightingbolt be able to jump-start a truck, ect?
Tarantula
Well, problem with ignite on your cigar, is the whole cigar bursts into flame, not just the tip.... So, likely, a flamethrower called shot to the tip would be more likely to succeed it getting it lit in a manner similar to a lighter.
Ravor
Hmm, very good point, even though I'm a huge fan of the entire "can't target parts of objects" Magical Law for some reason I had completely spaced it in this case.

I'll have to blame it on the Style over Substaince theme that runs through Cyberpunk as opposed to my failing memory. cyber.gif
Tarantula
Yeah, but you can called shot with elemental spells, which is why flamethrower trumps ignite smile.gif

Alternately, you could always just place a small piece of paper on the tip of your cigar, and ignite that.
odinson
QUOTE (Ravor @ Jun 19 2007, 11:21 PM)
Although I understand that Ignite is the spell designed for such things, I was wondering whether or not people would allow a (Force 1) Flamethrower spell to act as a 'poor man's' Ignite or if even 1P Fire Damage would be more then enough to burn the entire cig/cigar/ect to ash as well as likely burning off the foolish Mage's facial hair. (Personally I lean towards the latter, but was wondering what other people would do in their games.)

*Edit*

However, I do get slightly conflicted when I think about the extra Drain that the Mage would have to resist from using Flamethrower over Ignite.

*Edit 2.0*

Also on a related note, what about other non-combat uses for Combat Spells? Would a (Force 1) Lightingbolt be able to jump-start a truck, ect?

A force 1 lightning bolt would defiantly not jump start your truck. Best case nothing happens except some burn marks in your paint. Worst case, you would fry all your electronics. I'd assume that the voltages and amps from a lightning bolt would be similar to real lightning bolts, and I know that if you don't disconnect your batteries when you weld on a vehicle you have a good chance of frying any of the ecms. (this is on commercial transport vehicles, i don't know specifically about cars, but since most cars are plastic there isn't a much to do in the way of welding.) The only problem with a lightning bolt spell is that your car wouldn't be very well grounded if at all so if there isn't a ground you wouldn't have electricity surging through your electronics and nothing would happen.

EDIT: A force 1 lightning bolt combined with nipple clamps could be useful in certain situations.
Tarantula
Odinson, when struck by a lightning bolt, vehicles typically survive ok. With the occasional total wiring harness burnout.

See here
Buster
I can't find any rules that say you can't target specific parts of an object with Ignite.

I'm sure if you're short on karma any decent GM would let you scale down your Flamethrower to a blowtorch or zippo sized jet. How else is a wizganger going to scorch his name on the side of someone's eurocar? How else is a mage-chef supposed to make creme brulee? Think of the children!
Tarantula
Well, you target the cigar right? Just as you can't target someones pinky, you can't target just the tip of the cigar.
sunnyside
I'd say flamethrower would work fine. You have to target it at something which defines it's range, so it wouldn't overshoot. And one point of damage will probably blast the front of the cigar but on a called shot I'd rule that the rest of the cigar is ok and just suffers from being on fire.

It's when the dice hate you and you roll up a critical glitch that things will get amusing.
odinson
QUOTE (Tarantula)
Odinson, when struck by a lightning bolt, vehicles typically survive ok. With the occasional total wiring harness burnout.

See here

So exactly as I said then. At best, some burn marks at worst you fry your ecms.
BlackRabite
As a general rule in our campaigns whether it be SR or a D20 game when a magic using type has enough power to shoot a gout of damaging flame the GM will assume they can do simple things like light a cigarette.

If it is simply "flavor" magic and doesn't affect anything, like lighting a cigarette, theres no reason you can just put the unlit cigarette in your mouth and have it light when you inhale the first time.

I don't see anything wrong with letting a force 5 mage, capable of charbroiling a room full of troll gangers, wave his hands and light the candles around his summoning circle.
sunnyside
Now we're getting off topic but historically in the SR franchise finesse is harder for mages than hurling out the raw elements. For example it was harder to reduce the blast radius of an AOE spell than it was to enlarge it.

Maybe you can think of it as starting to pee and then trying to stop, the magic wants to be free.

Still easily doable, just not some much the wave of hands and a wik delicatly lights up.
2bit
Since it's a pure style non-combat use, I would let them use either spell, and make them witthold 1 die per Trickiness level of the feat in question smile.gif Lighting a cigar sounds like level 1 or 2 trickiness.
GWCarver
I agree with 2bit. In my games, if the player has flamethrower and needs to lite a torch/cig/campfire, I just let them. They can cast it at force 1/2 or something small and I let them buy a success.
Buster
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Jun 20 2007, 08:07 AM)
Well, you target the cigar right?  Just as you can't target someones pinky, you can't target just the tip of the cigar.

A couple of people on this forum keep saying you can't target part of an object with a spell, but I have yet to see this rule in any of the books. Do you have a page number?
Jaid
in any event, you can certainly target part of an object with an elemental combat spell, since they work like a ranged attack.

and IMO, 2070 cigarettes shouldn't need magic to ignite... they should be self-igniting nyahnyah.gif
odinson
Why would they even have cigs in the future? If real food has been replaced by soy products wouldn't real tobacco have been replaced by something synthetic? Real cigs would be for those with the high life style just like real food. The rest of you chummers would be smoking something else. I'm thinking something with a consistency of styrofoam all the way through and the flavour would be about the same.
hyzmarca
Cigarettes have been replaced by convent disposable novacrack pipes, available from any corner vending machine.
odinson
That sounds much more plausible and absolutely right.
hyzmarca
I'd also imagine that both cigarettes and crack pipes are self-lighting.

I wouldn't, for the record, allow a cigarette to survive a flamethrower. Alternately, I'd assign it either a body or a barrier rating of 1 and use that rating to determine the amount of fire damage it receives.

Incidentally, three cigarettes contain enough tobacco to kill a full-grown adult if ingested. It is a cheap way to poison someone to death, for sure.
odinson
Again I would totally agree. The only ones that wouldn't be self lighting would be the really expensive cigars that are hand rolled and smoked by someone who lights them with a platinum credstick.
hobgoblin
doing the flame from thumb trick is a old wizard classic.

as long as it as little or no practical game effect, why not allow it?
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Incidentally, three cigarettes contain enough tobacco to kill a full-grown adult if ingested.

I was not aware of that.

QUOTE (hobgoblin)

Hell yes!

And I'll agree that you couldn't Powerbolt half of a cigarette, but you can do it with an Indirect spell.
Tarantula
QUOTE (Buster)
Well, you target the cigar right?  Just as you can't target someones pinky, you can't target just the tip of the cigar.

A couple of people on this forum keep saying you can't target part of an object with a spell, but I have yet to see this rule in any of the books. Do you have a page number?

Its sort of a muddled issue. For spellcasting, you choose the target. I interpret that to be, I target the cigarette with my ignite spell. It doesn't permit you to chose only a small part of at target.

Elemental manipulation spells are an exception, since they create an object flying through the air (flames for example) and as such, can be aimed so as to only hit someones hand with their gun in it. (Conversely, with powerbolt you could target the gun, or the guy, but not the guys hand with the gun in it.)
hyzmarca
QUOTE (hobgoblin)

Because I think that its funny if real magicians can't do the thumb-flame trick without overdoing it and only slight-of-hand artists can actually get it right.

Since the heal spell actually does allow a magician to saw a woman in half and put her back together again, we must leave something for the classical stage illusionists.
Buster
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Jun 21 2007, 03:06 PM)
QUOTE (Buster @ Jun 20 2007, 03:36 PM)

Its sort of a muddled issue. For spellcasting, you choose the target. I interpret that to be, I target the cigarette with my ignite spell. It doesn't permit you to chose only a small part of at target.

Still no page numbers yet, so it sounds like this "can't target parts of objects" nonsense is a house rule. Even if it isn't a houserule, it's just nuts. It's needlessly complicated and just opens up a ton of silly problems. It doesn't seem to add any flavor or realism (realism in the sense it matches any popular stories or myths). So what's the point? Just let magi use called shot modifiers with spells and have fun.
hobgoblin
i just reread the ignite text and here is how i would do it:

have him roll a skill check as usual. if he gets it right he lights it at the end, if he gets a glitch it lights on a side or similar, critical glitch and it "explodes".

one interesting thing. not that its said that it will only wrap a person in flames when the spell becomes permanent. sounds to me like while one sustains it, more and more flames will break out over the target. most likely starting with the easiest parts to ignite and spreading from there.

so maybe he is using special magican cigs that are treated to ignite at the right place first? then he just have to overcome the general object resistance (should not be hard as long as he goes for handrolled cigars or similar) and drop the spell when the right part of the target lights up.

optionally, make a special variant of the ignite spell that has a sustained duration, and that creates a no rating flame at the fingertip of choice wink.gif

hmm, is the flame aura spell in street magic? if so, allow him to use that to light a cig by touching its tip after casting said spell smokin.gif
odinson
The spell isn't a sustained spell it's a permanent spell. For a permanent spell you need to sustain it for a number of combat turns equal to twice it's force for it's effects to become permanent. This would indicate to me that you would sustain it and when it becomes permanent the person is wrapped in flames.
hobgoblin
question is; while its being sustained, does the person feel nothing? or does small flames grow bigger and bigger (and as long as they are sustained, impossible to put out)?

if its the latter then one can sustain it until one get the wanted effect, then drop it. thats the interesting thing with a permanent spell. until said time when it becomes permanent, its a ordinary sustained spell. and sustained spells can be dropped to remove the effect.

this can be a interesting liability on heal spells wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012