Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Initiative House Rule
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FrankTrollman
If you're like me, you're fairly annoyed that wound penalties rarely do a god damned thing to peoples' initiative counts. Seriously, the rule where you don't get to act if you don't get an initiative penalty that drops you to zero really never comes up, because people have iniative counts of 10+ and initiative penalties are all small enough to be counted on one hand.

So here's something I've been thinking of: why not make peoples' Initiative count just be their actual hits instead of their Initiative Plus their hits? It would make peoples' initiative counts way more random of course, an Initiative 14 Street Sam who rolled zero hits would go off at count zero just like an initiative 4 wage slave who scored no hits. But it would also make people lose actions due to wound penalties ever - since a lot of people would be going off at count zero, one, or two, it is pretty easy to imagine characters hitting negative Initiative with wound penalties and losing actions.

I consider the following to be advantages:
  • Easier to explain. For some reason people get confused by rolling Initiative and adding the hits to the numeric value of Initiative. Asking people for their hits on a test is much more in line with the rest of the mechanics.
  • Wound Penalties loom larger and people lose actions now and again. This also makes Damage Compensators a much bigger deal.
  • Very fast individuals (such as Force 8+ spirits) are now capable of not going first.

So, anyone have observations or objections?

-Frank
DireRadiant
Looks well thought out to me and achieves what you set out to have it do.

Actually I'm kind of surprised it isn't the way initiative is run to begin with. I don't see where the mechanic for Attribute + Attribute + Hits comes from, whereas we do see where Attribute + Attribute comes up in things like composure and judge intentions checks.
Larsine
I too have been anmnoyed with the Initiative rule, especially having to explain to add the hits to the initiative score.

Your suggestion seems fine, and I'll try it out at the next oppertunity.

Thanks

Lars
djinni
it seems to work out,
sunnyside
I think the origional rules are to make things like reaction enhancers significant. But your thing should work just fine.
lunchbox311
QUOTE (sunnyside)
I think the origional rules are to make things like reaction enhancers significant. But your thing should work just fine.

They are still significant because your initiative score is raised so you get extra dice to roll.
Dashifen
Well, statistically speaking, reaction enhancers are effective because (a) they give you more passes and (b) they generally increase your reaction and, thus, can increase your initiative, too. So with reaction enhancements (including wired reflexes, reaction enhancers, improved reflexes, etc.) are all still extremely valuable.

I like this a lot. I probably won't get to run SR for some months (stupid summer) but I might try this out as well.
jklst14
I was actually thinking of adopting the exact same house rule! I say go for it. I think you may also get more Initiative Ties - which would result in more simultaneous actions and would certainly make things more interesting.

QUOTE (Dashifen)
Well, statistically speaking, reaction enhancers are effective because (a) they give you more passes .

Actually, they don't give you extra passes. But I think they're still useful, especially with the extra dice they give for Defense rolls.
Dashifen
Reaction Enhancers as the cyberware don't, but I was refering to a general classification of cyber/bio/magic all of which enhance a character's reaction, the attribute and their passess.
Wakshaani
I wonder, however, if you won't see an awful lot of "Initiative Bog", where everyone's going at the same time? "Alright, everyone with 2 hits, raise your hand."
Aaron
Actually, I suspect that the "add your hits to your Initiative" rule exists to reduce ties. Switching to hits only would roughly triple the instances of ties that would then need a second step to be broken. That being said, I see no reason why one can't just use the original Initiative Rating to break those ties, other than the fact that Initiative would be slowed down.

2bit
alternatively, you could make every box of damage, or every other, count against initiative instead of every third.
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Aaron)
Actually, I suspect that the "add your hits to your Initiative" rule exists to reduce ties. Switching to hits only would roughly triple the instances of ties that would then need a second step to be broken. That being said, I see no reason why one can't just use the original Initiative Rating to break those ties, other than the fact that Initiative would be slowed down.

Yeah was going to say that. There will be ties. And my main problem is that who acts first, who is quicker will be determined mostly by luck than anything else.

No thanks, I like the sammie with wired 2 to actually act before the prof rating 1 security guard. But whatever works for you.
Naysayer
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork @ Jun 20 2007, 5:41 PM)
I like the sammie with wired 2 to actually act before the prof rating 1 security guard. But whatever works for you.

Echo that.
I like the thought of wound modifiers being more of an issue though, which is why I also would consider 2bits proposal. Instead of nerfing Initiative, wounds might get some of their ouch back. Maybe the old modifiers from 2nd (and 3rd, I guess) could bring some more hurt to the table?
(For the younger generation, that would be a modifier of - 1 for the first box of damage, - 3 for the third, and - 6 (IIRC) for the sixth.
Maybe add a - 9 for ninth box... that would make getting hurt a little more painful again without making baby samurai sad.

Buster
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
So here's something I've been thinking of: why not make peoples' Initiative count just be their actual hits instead of their Initiative Plus their hits? It would make peoples' initiative counts way more random of course, an Initiative 14 Street Sam who rolled zero hits would go off at count zero just like an initiative 4 wage slave who scored no hits. But it would also make people lose actions due to wound penalties ever - since a lot of people would be going off at count zero, one, or two, it is pretty easy to imagine characters hitting negative Initiative with wound penalties and losing actions.

I don't think makes sense (or is fair) that a wage slave can act as fast or faster than an experienced fighter. However, I think it makes sense to make wound modifiers more effective at slowing someone down.

Why not just double the wound modifier's effect on initiative?
That way a wage slave will be nearly paralyzed by a serious wound (I know I would be) and an experience soldier would still be able to function (just not as quick).
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Buster)
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Jun 20 2007, 04:21 PM)

I don't think makes sense (or is fair) that a wage slave can act as fast or faster than an experienced fighter. However, I think it makes sense to make wound modifiers more effective at slowing someone down.

Why not just double the wound modifier's effect on initiative?
That way a wage slave will be nearly paralyzed by a serious wound (I know I would be) and an experience soldier would still be able to function (just not as quick).

Yeah I like this suggestion, and 2bits is ok as well. Hmm, I don't think I'll change it yet though, as I want to play the system "as is" as possible without ruining my sense of fun.

wound penalties on initative haven't really been a problem in my group yet.
Narmio
I was going to suggest "Or you could just double the effect of wound penalties on initiative?" as soon as I got to the bottom of this thread, but it seems that's been proposed already. I second!
Buster
QUOTE (Narmio)
I was going to suggest "Or you could just double the effect of wound penalties on initiative?" as soon as I got to the bottom of this thread, but it seems that's been proposed already. I second!

It's unanimous! Ship it in the 5th printing!
odinson
QUOTE (Buster)
QUOTE (Narmio @ Jun 20 2007, 07:27 PM)
I was going to suggest "Or you could just double the effect of wound penalties on initiative?" as soon as I got to the bottom of this thread, but it seems that's been proposed already.  I second!

It's unanimous! Ship it in the 5th printing!

I don't think 3 dumpshockers make something unanimous.
mfb
QUOTE (Buster)

i actually see that as more realistic. there are a whole, whole lot of factors that go into 'who goes first' in real life, that the game can't accurately represent. it's actually quite possible for a very fast, experienced person to screw up and let some nobody get the drop on him.
raphabonelli
QUOTE (mfb)
it's actually quite possible for a very fast, experienced person to screw up and let some nobody get the drop on him.

That's what glitches and critical glitches represents on initiative rolls.
odinson
and how often do glitches and critical glitches happen?
mfb
QUOTE (raphabonelli)
QUOTE (mfb @ Jun 20 2007, 08:50 PM)
it's actually quite possible for a very fast, experienced person to screw up and let some nobody get the drop on him.

That's what glitches and critical glitches represents on initiative rolls.

lemme amend that. it's very possible, and should happen more frequently than it does in the game. we're talking differences as small as tenths or hundredths of a second--i don't think anyone should be fast enough that when they don't go first, it's considered a glitch. or, at least, such people should be really, really rare.
kzt
QUOTE (Buster)
I don't think makes sense (or is fair) that a wage slave can act as fast or faster than an experienced fighter.

Shit happens and people are unpredictable.

But just doing straight wounds might work.
Buster
Which is why it makes sense to add the random roll to initiative, but on average an experienced fighter is going to be quicker on the draw than a noncom.
Dancer
QUOTE (jklst14)
Actually, they don't give you extra passes. But I think they're still useful, especially with the extra dice they give for Defense rolls.

According to the latest FAQ they can't be combined with Wired Reflexes, which give the same Reaction boost and extra passes to boot. So they're pretty useless.
Heimdalol
My group's rule is probably a lot more complicated than what most people want but here is what my group does.

We use your overall wound penalty as an initiative threshold. If your initiative roll is higher than it (we only use hits) then that's your initiative score. If you tie you act at 0. If you're one below you lose one simple action, two below you lose both simple actions if you're 3 below you cannot act at all.

Once per Combat we allow a "guts" roll to reduce the number of damage boxes used to calculate your wound penalty by the number of hits on a body+willpower roll. You can do extra "guts" rolls by using a point of edge.

There's probably some whacky edge cases where that blows up but it's worked so far for us.
jklst14
QUOTE (Dancer)
QUOTE (jklst14 @ Jun 20 2007, 10:03 PM)
Actually, they don't give you extra passes.  But I think they're still useful, especially with the extra dice they give for Defense rolls.

According to the latest FAQ they can't be combined with Wired Reflexes, which give the same Reaction boost and extra passes to boot. So they're pretty useless.

Yeah. We just always ignored that part of the FAQ...
Aaron
I bring craziness and blasphemy.

Here's something crazy. In what combat in which I've been involved, the initiative usually went to the person who takes the initiative, not the one who reacts the fastest. For example, in a recent tournament, even though I lost, I was told that I "took the initiative" and "controlled the bouts." That suggests (to me, anyway) that Initiative should be Willpower + Charisma.

Here's something blasphemous. I like the way that one game named after a die does initiative. It's done once per combat, and then it's out of the way. Done with. Fini. Not dealt with any more. I like that.

kzt
QUOTE (Buster)
Which is why it makes sense to add the random roll to initiative, but on average an experienced fighter is going to be quicker on the draw than a noncom.

If you can't get more success on 12 dice than he gets on 3 dice you are having a very bad day.
bmcoomes
I can see were some would like to have the wound modifiers & initiative, play more of a roll. In my line of work (law enforcement) I'm a trainer with all the studies and experience out there most people involved in a life and death conflict they will not know they have been injured till one of two things happens you loss consciousness or the conflict is over and you asses you’re self. This happens in sports also were the injury is not noticed till after the fact. So to me its fine as is, it gives me that feeling of injuries do have an impact but with a abstract reality of rules.

Thanks,
Brent Coomes
deek
QUOTE (Heimdalol)
My group's rule is probably a lot more complicated than what most people want but here is what my group does.

We use your overall wound penalty as an initiative threshold. If your initiative roll is higher than it (we only use hits) then that's your initiative score. If you tie you act at 0. If you're one below you lose one simple action, two below you lose both simple actions if you're 3 below you cannot act at all.

Once per Combat we allow a "guts" roll to reduce the number of damage boxes used to calculate your wound penalty by the number of hits on a body+willpower roll. You can do extra "guts" rolls by using a point of edge.

There's probably some whacky edge cases where that blows up but it's worked so far for us.

I really like the idea of wound penalties also providing a threshold to get full actions and then reduce something, for not hitting that. Granted, I would like to see it be losing an entire IP, not just a simple action.

I'll have to think a little more on this one, but I am really liking the mechanic, as I agree with FTM, wound modifiers never really seem to matter in-game!
Moon-Hawk
You're going to get a lot less predictability in initiative. We know this. Frank knows this. Whether that is a bug or a feature is an entirely subjective judgement.

Yes, there will be more ties. Not sure how you plan to handle that. IMG, when I get a tie, I almost never bother to "resolve" the tie. If people tie, they both go at the same time, unhindered by each other, and if they're attacking each other than injuries will pile on when both people are done acting. I figure it's close enough to simultaneous to not matter. I only resolve ties when ties really can't happen. (Unfortunately, it is very early in the morning and the only example that comes to my mind is Jeopardy buzzers.) Obviously, looking at the initial initiative of all characters involved will resolve a tie, exactly as normal. But you're going to be dealing with ties a lot more often. Again, bug or feature is entirely subjective.

Game mechanically, I see no problem with this. In terms of making problems for the game, I would be worried that all the ties would slow things down a little bit, but I'm not sure how much; it depends on how they're handled. As for the other effects, it sounds like it will have the desired effect. It also sounds like a fair number of people would not desire that effect in their games. And that's.....okay. wink.gif
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (FotD)
No thanks, I like the sammie with wired 2 to actually act before the prof rating 1 security guard. But whatever works for you.

He still usually will, it's just less automatic. The Professional Rating 1 character has an Initiative of 5, and the generic Street Samurai has an Initiative of 9. In either case, he has the tie breaker, so the chances of the Goon beating him to the punch is normally .0107 percent (the goon must roll all hits, the Sammie must roll none).

However, if we're just comparing hits, things get a lot closer:

Goon - 5 dice.
0 hits: 13.17%
1 hit: 32.92%
2 hits: 32.92%
3 hits: 16.46%
4 hits: 4.115%
5 hits: .4115%

Samurai - 9 dice:

0 hits: 2.601%
1 hit: 11.71%
2 hits: 23.41%
3 hits: 27.31%
4 hits: 20.48%
5 or more: 14.48%

So that's a 21.18% chance that someone with 5 dice will beat a guy with 9 dice. Is that too high? Maybe, but 1 in 10,000 is way too low.

-Frank
2bit
I don't think it's enough advantage to reaction enhanced characters, but it's worth testing.
lunchbox311
QUOTE (2bit @ Jun 21 2007, 10:35 AM)
I don't think it's enough advantage to reaction enhanced characters, but it's worth testing.

Maybe not, but the extra passes are. That is another way of realizing how fast these wired up people are. Joe sixpack goes once in 3 seconds... twice with edge.

Street same goes 2-3 times on average.... 4 with edge or high end cyber. That means he is moving up to 4 times faster!

Edit: This also puts a good tactical feel back in the game. If the sammie does not go first he may have to do some full defense to dodge that first bullet. After that he will have 1-2 actions to beat the crap out of someone else before they go again.
Garrowolf
This is what I do: Take your initiative as your initiative. Only roll if you have a tie. Then bump the initiative up or down by one to separate them out. If you roll surprise then start with a threshold of say 3. Subtract the difference from your initiative.

Or if you have to roll then roll initiative + 1d6. No success roll, just an old fashioned cumulative roll.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (odinson)

...you haven't been in our camapaigns.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
QUOTE (odinson)

...you haven't been in our camapaigns.

For a guy with an Initiative of 9? About 1.6% of the time. For a guy with an Initiative of 5? About 4.6% of the time.

-Frank
Serbitar
Add in the 3142 pass order and you are done.
djinni
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
For a guy with an Initiative of 9? About 1.6% of the time. For a guy with an Initiative of 5? About 4.6% of the time.

-Frank

even numbers have a higher chance of course...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012