Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun - where to begin..
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Malicx
So, I picked up the 4th edition book (My first Shadowrun book) and read it through. It's an awesome setting, but I feel like I'm missing a lot of the richness of the setting - I haven't been here for the past 3 versions and am missing a lot of the flavor text. Where should I begin?

I've read the Psychotrope, 2XS, and Never Deal with a Dragon novels, and I'm working my way through the short stories in Into The Shadows.

Are there any other novels or sourcebooks that YOU feel are integral to the setting?

Thanks in advance,
Malicx
mfb
Shadows of North America would probably help a lot.
sunnyside
I always really liked shadowbeat (music and culture related stuff).

I also would suggest whatever one of the "seattle" books you can get your hands on.

And then there is the whole question of whether you enjoy immortal elves and tie ins with other game systems or not. But that's a whole extra aspect.
Strobe
Sprawl Survival Guide is also great for flavor text. It is all about living the the Shadowrun world from the peoples perspective.

-Strobe
Cain
Dunkelzahn's Secrets is a good one. Bit hard to find, though.
sunnyside
QUOTE (Cain)
Dunkelzahn's Secrets is a good one. Bit hard to find, though.

And a bit harder to follow. I think that book would be better for when you're very comfortable with the game world and actually know what the stuff in there refers too.
imperialus
Neo-Anarchists guide to Real Life is a great book, Neo-Anarchists guide to North America too. They're a bit tough to find now though but I think they are available as PDF's from battlecorps. The article on the fast food joint is actually a remarkably insightful commentary on just what life in the 6th world is like. Basically the entire restaurant is designed with security in mind, from vehicle barricades in the front to security guards with the ability to flood the entire restaurant with stun gas. Really says something about the society when the biggest selling feature of the most popular fast food joint in the world is the fact that you won't get killed while eating there.
Malicx
Thanks a lot for the information so far guys. I'll keep an eye open for these books and check out battlecorps.
apollo124
And if you want a lot of data, once you get into the game a little further, go to Ancient History's website.

http://ancientfiles.dumpshock.com/index.html

Also, Year of the Comet has a lot of things happening in it that are more current than most of those other books had. Like Ghostwalker taking over Denver and such.
Synner
I suggest Sprawl Survival Guide for the feel of the world and everyday life (its 2064 but extrapolating many of the differences is easy given the Life in the Seventies section of SR4.

For specifics and details on the Sixth World, I suggest the Shadows of series (North America, Europe, and Asia) as well as Runner Havens and New Seattle.
apollo124
QUOTE (Synner)
For specifics and details on the Sixth World, I suggest the Shadows of series (North America, Europe, and Asia)

And Latin America! Don't forget SoLA!

grinbig.gif grinbig.gif grinbig.gif grinbig.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012