bibliophile20
More!

[best Agent Smith voice]

Moorrrreee...

[/best Agent Smith voice]

Dayum, this is gonna be interesting!
Trax
"Swiss Gov Launches Technomancer Control Initiative"

Man, I never would've bet that the Swiss would suggest something like that. More of an American type thing to do. Maybe some Technomancer hacked into their Swiss bank account computers?
hobgoblin
hmm, anyone have a pdf editor?

those black blobs look like they where added in the pdf file...
Synner
They were and they're intended to work as spoilers and leave you some surprises. As I've said before there's a lot going on in Emergence and we'd like to save some of the twists for when the actual book hits the shelves.

Man, I never would've bet that the Swiss would suggest something like that.

I take it you've never read Shadows of Europe. Switzerland isn't what it used to be.
hobgoblin
lets just say synner, i can understand why you all want to do that wink.gif
Ranneko
Yep, that totally fits the Switzerland I recall from SoE.

And also, cant wait for the PDF release. Started to reread some of the older sourcebooks recently.
Buster
QUOTE (Trax)
"Swiss Gov Launches Technomancer Control Initiative"

Man, I never would've bet that the Swiss would suggest something like that. More of an American type thing to do. Maybe some Technomancer hacked into their Swiss bank account computers?

The Swiss are xenophobes of the worst sort. And god help you if you put up a windchime in your own home there. They're a little mountain enclave of Nazis.
Grinder
And rich. That makes it much worse.
Rotbart van Dainig
Nothing unexpected.

Including the crave for Unwired.
Zen Shooter01
That's great!

Where's the Augmentation preview?
Link
You'll find a link in the article referred to in the first post.
I think hobgoblin is on to something.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Synner)
They were and they're intended to work as spoilers and leave you some surprises.

I don't know how anyone with a pdf editor could resist the temptation. I was never a kid to look for my Christmas presents or anything, but man, those little black blobs are taunting me. "Don't you want to move me aside and see the good stuff?" they seem to say.
Ugh.
In any case, if I break down and peek I'll keep my big yap shut until somebody else spoils the surprise for everyone, so you don't need to send the Red Samurai over to my house or anything. wink.gif
Moon-Hawk
Haha. "In UR Head, Hacking UR Brain" I love it! Left edge of page 4. smile.gif
Dashifen
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Haha. "In UR Head, Hacking UR Brain" I love it! Left edge of page 4. smile.gif

Yeah, I noticed that, too. At least there wasn't a LOL cat to go with it silly.gif
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Link)
You'll find a link in the article referred to in the first post.
I think hobgoblin is on to something.

no comment smokin.gif
Aaron
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
I don't know how anyone with a pdf editor could resist the temptation.

I know I couldn't. I mean, come on. Mixing information I want to know with a technical "puzzle" that reveals that information if you solve it? It's like it's my birthday or something.

Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Aaron)
I mean, come on. Mixing information I want to know with a technical "puzzle" that reveals that information if you solve it? It's like it's my birthday or something.

You made me LOL at work. embarrassed.gif
Zolhex
Bah that's not a perview that's a publicly released government document. rotfl.gif
Synner
Actually I was hoping to have the time to make an "Oversight Office" stamp, unfortunately we've been a bit swamped.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Casazil)
Bah that's not a perview that's a publicly released government document. rotfl.gif

i think the worst example of those that i know of was one that was all black except for one or two words...
MYST1C
For the technically challenged - the hidden parts:
[ Spoiler ]
hobgoblin
oh crap, where is a moderator when one need them?

use a spoiler tag, damn it!
Ravor
[ Spoiler ]

*EDIT*

Added [ Spoiler ] Tags.

MYST1C
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
use a spoiler tag, damn it!

Better now?
hobgoblin
perfect smile.gif
Ravor
Although to be fair, considering that its nothing that someone first opening the book wouldn't find out anyways I'm not quite sure why [ Spoiler ] Tags are actually needed.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Ravor)
Although to be fair, considering that its nothing that someone first opening the book wouldn't find out anyways I'm not quite sure why [ Spoiler ] Tags are actually needed.

read synners post about why those parts where blacked out...

yep they will find out why when they open the book (or get the full pdf of the net) but they wanted to leave them as a bit of a surprise until then.
MYST1C
[ Spoiler ]
Ravor
I read his reasoning, I just don't agree with him on this issue since the preview is just the Table of Contents.

If the Spoilers were actual Spoilers from the book's text then I would be on board however.

Still, I guess that it is better to be polite then not.
Ravor
[ Spoiler ]
Meriss
Oh happy Day! Oh Happpy Day! Yays! biggrin.gif More please?
TW
QUOTE (MYST1C)
[ Spoiler ]

That's correct, and in addition, there might be further developments up to the point when Unwired will be released. Developments that might be both a continuation from the Emergence plot as well as some new nuances thrown in.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (MYST1C)
[ Spoiler ]

Hardly. There were such rules in Matrix, and there were suggestions in System Failure.

Personally, I find it much more irritating to release a campaign revolving around the matrix whithout the advanced rules.
TW
[ Spoiler ]

EDIT:oops, spoiler tags now added
JongWK
Tobias, please use spoiler tags. nyahnyah.gif
Backgammon
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
Personally, I find it much more irritating to release a campaign revolving around the matrix whithout the advanced rules.

I agree with that.

However, I'll take it on faith for now that the SR folks thought about that and made the campaign in such a way as to limit that irritation.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (TW)
[ Spoiler ]

Technically, no. System Failure was still SR3 and the information, including game information for SR3 was released back then.

QUOTE (TW)
[ Spoiler ]

Which makes it even worse releasing the most important supplement for the main campaign afterwards.
It's not like there aren't quite some very basic questions about the new matrix rules - and handwaving sure is an option... just not a decent one.
TW
Well, you're entitled to your opinion, all I can say to that is that the idea of releasing 'Unwired' before 'Emergence' was thought through and the decision was made not to.

The authors and dev's certainly did their best to ensure Emergence is enjoyable (and certainly playable) without requiring Unwired. Increasing the craving, yes, but required, no. wink.gif
fistandantilus4.0

Generally there's a Game Information section that gives the rules for these sorts of things. Hopefully there will be something along these lines in Emergence.
Rotbart van Dainig
Perhaps I didn't manage to make my point clear:

As it is now, the matrix rules have serious bugs that make them pretty much near unusable in normal play without heavy handwaving.
Thus, playing a matrix centered campaing without debugging the first in one way or another seems a bad thing to do.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (TW)
Well, you're entitled to your opinion, all I can say to that is that the idea of releasing 'Unwired' before 'Emergence' was thought through and the decision was made not to.

From what we've heard, Unwired isn't going to be released until after Augmentaion and Arsenal, suggesting that unwired simply isn't finished yet. My guess would be they needed something to drive the metaplot along, since SR4 releases have been almost all rules, with the exception of On the Run. After all, most people like shadowrun (in my experience) mainly for the world, and rules secondary. We haven't seen any real developments in the world so far, and I know a lot of people aren't thrilled about having no info on the last five years either. Not saying there won't be things to struggle through without more complete rules, but I can see why they'd go with Emergence first.
knasser

Well I messed around for about five minutes seeing if I could get the information out by turning the pictures off or something, and then my housemate came along and got me the text in under ten seconds. smile.gif

I can now see why the Technomancers trigger such fear, at any rate. So that will shut up all the people who kept saying that technomancy was no big deal when other people already had commlinks.
Aaron
[ Spoiler ]

What I don't understand is why they brought him back as an AI. I mean, the tie-in with the will is nice and all, but if you want him back, there are other ways that hold with precedent.
hobgoblin
cute aaron, real cute silly.gif
Aaron
=iP
Synner
Emergence focuses on two major elements we wanted to introduce in SR4 (the first everyone knew about, the second is a surprise) and firmly grounds both in the Sixth World.

In one sense it is a (much needed) metaplot book, in that it drives the universe forward and shakes things up a little, but more than that it is a setting book - one that should be useful whether you want to play the adventures therein or not. In fact its a pretty darn good read (if I do say so myself).

While the book provides some of the backstory that was missing for technomancers (and partly explains why they're just becoming news in 2070), it focuses on providing societal context and background on the bigger picture of technomancers in society and the shadows of 2070—and the myriad and unexpected ramifications thereof.

With technomancers an integral element of the gameworld from the corebook and people already playing them, there was no way we were going to hold off doing this and then pull the rug from under people's feet.

The logic for publishing the books in this order is simple: while the Matrix is integral to the campaign, make no mistake, it isn't the focus of the campaign. Events do revolve around Matrix elements and things do happen in the Matrix. But bigger things happen in the real world. This is a campaign about individuals and society, what it means to be human, and how far will you go to protect yourself from threats... real or imagined. You could be hapless with the Matrix and still get involved in this campaign. It explores some pretty dark themes in places and there are a couple of points where the dystopic nature of the setting really shines through.

As for the "second new element", all I'll say for now is that there's a twist (come on, by now you know me, there's always a twist). They might or might not be what people think, and that too factors into the storyline.

As written the campaign requires no Advanced Rules and is playable with the core SR rules (Matrix and otherwise). Note - Needless to say that I disagree with Rotbard on the Matrix rules requiring serious handwaving. Some clarification, maybe (and less so after the FAQ). Then again I would also argue that as written you didn't need the advanced Matrix rules in SR3 to play and enjoy Renraku Arcology: Shutdown, Brainscan or System Failure.

One last tip for now: keep in mind that the preview is a Table of Contents not the actual contents.
knasser
QUOTE (Aaron)
[ Spoiler ]

What I don't understand is why they brought him back as an AI. I mean, the tie-in with the will is nice and all, but if you want him back, there are other ways that hold with precedent.

[ Spoiler ]

It's not like everyone didn't expect this somehow, but this looks... interesting.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Synner)
Note - Needless to say that I disagree with Rotbard on the Matrix rules requiring serious handwaving. Some clarification, maybe (and less so after the FAQ).

They need Errata, especially the Response decrease issue. (Yes, the FAQ adresses this, but that doesn't remove the recursion from the RAW)
Decoupling System from Response and tieing the Program Rating limit directly to Response may solve some oddities.

That doesn't solve the Subscription Limit issue though, which as it is now, limits every connection on both sides to Systemx2, limiting servers to 12 users logged in.
This, on the other hand, results in the need of snowballing large systems into complex star shapes... causing anyone browsing through to hop nodes one by one.
Additionally, an Agent searching the matrix uses the rating of the node he is running on, and as he constantly hops nodes, his attributes are constantly changing.

Again, this is just the way the matrix works by RAW. Needless to say, I'm fairly certain that this is hardly the way it was intended - but removing the kinks of the workload and connection level is serious handwaving.

QUOTE (Synner)
Then again I would also argue that as written you didn't need the advanced Matrix rules in SR3 to play and enjoy Renraku Arcology: Shutdown, Brainscan or System Failure.

That's mainly because back then, plot and rule books weren't stricklty seperated.
pbangarth
[ Spoiler ]

So what about that, eh?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012