Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Datajacks, Sim Modules and Trodes...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Method
Okay, maybe y'all can clear this up for me a bit:

In reading through the gear section of the BBB, I'm a little confused about the different components a character can use to access AR in simsense.

The way I read it the Sim Module is basically the ASIST interface right? It converts your Comm Links input/output into simsense. So do you need one to use trodes? Do you need a Sim Module to access your Commlink with a Datajack? Do Datajacks have a built in Sim Module? If you don't use a Sim Module, are you just issuing commands telepathically via your Trodes/Jack (i.e. not in simsense)?

Am I missing something here?

Thanks,
Method
Jaid
you need a sim module to use VR. it is useful for AR (provides the equivalent of all sense links) but not required.

you do not need a sim module for a datajack, or for a commlink, unless you intend to use VR.

however, it *is* so absurdly cheap compared to actually buying all the sense links (some of which cannot be had without cyber) that it seems silly to not buy it =P
hobgoblin
until someone whacks you in the persona with a black hammer...
Method
So what does someone experience when they use trodes?

Method
Nevermind. Its amazing what you can learn when you actually take out the book and read it....

wobble.gif
Jaid
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
until someone whacks you in the persona with a black hammer...

you can operate in AR using a sim module. you would be no more vulnerable than someone using an image link, sound link, etc. unless the sim module gets switched to VR mode...

but if someone controls your PAN to that extent, well, you're pretty much screwed anyways =S
TheOOB
QUOTE (Method @ Jun 21 2007, 10:16 PM)
So what does someone experience when they use trodes?

Trodes and datajacks are basically the same thing, they both allow a neural connection with your commlink, the trodes are just an item while the datajack is a piece of ware.

A sim module, which is attached to your commlink, allows the commlink to translate data into sensory information, which is then fed through your neural link.

If I may use a horrible metaphore. Think of a simsense recording as a DVD, the sim module as the DVD player, and the neural connection (be it trodes or a datajack) as a TV. You need both the player and the TV to watch the DVD. With just the player and no TV you can read the information from the DVD, but theres no way the player can get that information to you, with just the TV theres no way for you to read the information in the first place.

So, if you just have a neural connection, you can mentally access your commlink, but you cant recieve any sensory information from it(which means no VR or simsense), but if you have the sim module and not a neural connection there is no way your commlink can transmit the sensory information to you.

EDIT: Also you can get wacked for stun damage if you are using a sim module while in AR via a black hammer/blackout. Black hammer/blackout works by creating simsense biofeedback which works through your sim module. While in AR, however, you never take physical damage, and you dont need to make a check to "jack out", nor do you recieve dumpshock. This is because while you are still recieving simsense data, your perception is still in the meat world.
Seraph Kast
So, wait a tick...

If you skinlink trodes (would you even need to?) you could effectively have a DNI to everything you have that is also skinlinked? Would you need to Comm to be skinlinked in that case? Do trodes use a fiber optic line or some such.

Sorry, planning to attempt running my first SR game, and also my first game period soonish, and trying to get all this stuff straight is driving me nuts.
hobgoblin
well the comlink acts as a kind of interface hub. so that rather then having x number of interfaces floating around you have the comlink interface.

but in theory, yes it can work that way. or at least i cant think of any why it should not.
savantt
If you skinlink trodes (would you even need to?)

Hey, fellow newb here, from my reading the whole point of Trodes to to BE a link, therfore I dont think you need to skinlink to them...They act as a bridge between you and the matrix, allowing you to expeirience VR which, I assume, must involve a 2-way connection of some sort.

Plus it would be kinda pointles to need to link to all your links...

Once again I am a newb, so if I got this horribly horribly worng sorry... wink.gif
hobgoblin
one thing about todes and skinlink. they talk simsense quite nice, but they may not be able to talk whatever protocol that skinlink uses equally well out of the box.

that is if skinlink uses a special protocol, and isnt just a weird type of antenna silly.gif
Abbandon
For security I use the following set up:

smart gun w/skinlink -> datajack w/skinlink = can not be hacked, allows me to send commands to the gun as long as i touch it.

Cyber eyes/ears -> not connected to pan. hack proof. You can record stuff and use your datajack to dump it into a chip you can then slot into your commlink to broadcast to the others. Not effecient or real time but atleast its secure.

Glasses, subvocal mic, earbuds w/ skinlink -> commlink w/ skinlink = the only point of attack for a hacker would be the commlink. Everything else would have wifi disabled sinse it transmits over the skin to the commlink.

Hmmm if your entire ear was cybered, I guess you would not be able to use an earbud w/ skinlink since there is no skin there .... Maybe you could get some wierd type of earpiece that has feelers on it that can be attached to skin. Maybe you could just tape a little feeler/antenni down behind your cybered ear onto the skin and poof it works.
Method
QUOTE (TheOOB)
So, if you just have a neural connection, you can mentally access your commlink, but you cant recieve any sensory information from it...

So you could issue commands to your commlink (like "enter hidden mode") with a thought, right? And if your PAN node goes on alert you would know?

What if you have cybereyes with an image link and a datajack connected to your commlink? If someone sent you an image you could see it without the sim module right?

@Jaid: Is that what you were implying when you wrote:
QUOTE (Jaid)
however, it *is* so absurdly cheap compared to actually buying all the sense links (some of which cannot be had without cyber) that it seems silly to not buy it =P
and
QUOTE (Jaid)
you can operate in AR using a sim module. you would be no more vulnerable than someone using an image link, sound link, etc.

QUOTE (Abbandon)
Hmmm if your entire ear was cybered, I guess you would not be able to use an earbud w/ skinlink since there is no skin there ....

IIRC M&M described the artifical skin used to cover concealed implants (limbs, torsos, ears, etc) as ultrarealistic. I'd be willing to bet that by 2070 it is made to be data-conductive as well...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012