Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A few Rigger Questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
savantt
Hey, just want to ask a few questions about vehicles and riggers that have been puzzeling me for a bit...

If I buy a pilot programme (From the Wireless world section of the book) can this be used to replace/improve the default pilot programmes in the standard vehicles? If so, which does it do, upgrade or replace?

Second, If I buy an Autosoft which allows a vehicle to fire weponry, can it fire its own weapon mounts?

Finally how do you deal with sensors. The table in the equipment section has alist of sizes of drone/vehicle and how many sensors they can accomodate, but then what does the 'sensor' rating mean? From what I can tell it only shows how well the vehicle's pilot can read sensors, but presuably a rigger could use the sensors as described (I.E. see through a camera, Listen through a mic.) without this rating having any impact?

Thanks in advance for any answers...Again...
Wasabi
Pilot program: Replaces. You could have both loaded but only one perform each test. For extra actions most folks just use Agents or additional hacker characters.

Gunnery Autosofts give a bonus to the Pilot program for shooting. Without them the pilot program only rolls its rating.

Sensor rating is a more accurately viewed as Sensor STRENGTH rating. The amount/types of sensors are based solely on size and what you choose to fill the drone with.
Buster
Vehicle sensors are described on p 325.

Each package has a sensor range that indicates the limits of the sensor’s reach (see the Signal Rating Table, p. 212), though some specific sensors have their own maximum ranges.
Jaid
QUOTE (Buster)

Each package has a sensor range that indicates the limits of the sensor’s reach (see the Signal Rating Table, p. 212), though some specific sensors have their own maximum ranges.

though, that's not the sensor rating. that's the sensor's signal rating, which is determined by the type of sensor package.

though it may very well be what the OP was actually looking at, even if it wasn't what he asked about =P

incidentally, i believe targetting autosofts are actually *required* if a vehicle is to shoot... iirc, without the autosoft, a drone cannot fire their weapons. that being said, you cannot choose "gunnery" as the autosoft, you have to choose by weapon type.
savantt
though, that's not the sensor rating. that's the sensor's signal rating, which is determined by the type of sensor package.

Yes, I'm talking about the Vehicle/Drone table on page 342, which has a rating for 'sensor' which puzzels me. I think, correct me if I'm wrong, that the table on page 325 shows Sensor Packages, which are roughly how many sensors could be fitted into an object as described...IE How many sensors in a microdrone, Vehicle...ect, and then a description of the sensors, which seems to render the 'sensor' rating useless as all the sensors are seperately dealt with. This leads me to belive the 'Sensor' Rating is how well the vehicles default pilot can use ANY sensors on its own... which seems to support the fact that for sensor tests a drone rolls Clearsight+Sensor rating(p 238)...

iirc, without the autosoft, a drone cannot fire their weapons.

Am I to assume that there is no rules distiction between vehicles and drones? So, for example, a Suzuki Mirage with a Pilot Programe 3 (overriding its default pilot of 1), Targeting Autosoft (Automatics) 6 and twin weapon-mounted AK-97s would roll 9 (3+6) Dice if it recived the command 'Fire a Single shot at X'...?

Thanks for your help...
Lagomorph
QUOTE (Jaid @ Jun 24 2007, 03:40 PM)
QUOTE (Buster @ Jun 24 2007, 08:52 AM)

though it may very well be what the OP was actually looking at, even if it wasn't what he asked about =P

incidentally, i believe targetting autosofts are actually *required* if a vehicle is to shoot... iirc, without the autosoft, a drone cannot fire their weapons. that being said, you cannot choose "gunnery" as the autosoft, you have to choose by weapon type.

Pilots should be able to default like characters at Pilot rating -1 for shooting or driving or any other action.

QUOTE (savant)
Am I to assume that there is no rules distiction between vehicles and drones? So, for example, a Suzuki Mirage with a Pilot Programe 3 (overriding its default pilot of 1), Targeting Autosoft (Automatics) 6 and twin weapon-mounted AK-97s would roll 9 (3+6) Dice if it recived the command 'Fire a Single shot at X'...?

you're correct, no distinction between vehicle and drone. In general though, drones tend to be unmanned, and vehicles tend to be manned, but they can pretty much be used interchangably with no loss.

Also correct on the 9 dice to shoot one of the AK's. Like characters, if you wanted to fire both AK's at once, you would have to split your dice pool like a character firing two guns at once.
Kerris
I have a rigger question as well. Is the following statement true?

Hacker + Control Rig = Rigger

Well, is it?
Lagomorph
QUOTE (Kerris)
I have a rigger question as well. Is the following statement true?

Well, is it?

hacker + gunnery and vehicle skills = rigger
the control rig is not required to be a rigger, it just helps
Kerris
Ah, gotcha
Jaid
QUOTE (SR4 p. 162 @ "Drones and Gunnery")
Drones attack using their Pilot + Targeting autosoft rating
(see p. 239). Drones must have an autosoft appropriate to the
weapon they are wielding in order to attack.

like i said, drones require the autosoft in question. this does not apply for anything other than firing the guns, of course... so a drone without a maneuver autosoft can still drive.
savantt
Also correct on the 9 dice to shoot one of the AK's. Like characters, if you wanted to fire both AK's at once, you would have to split your dice pool like a character firing two guns at once

Hmm...does that mean you'd be able to load multiple identicle targeting Autosofts on a single vehicle to deal with each gun? I ask, beacue a tripped out van (Body 14 IIRC) can carry 4 weapon mounts. Even with maxed out pilot and Autosoft (6+6) thats only 3 Dice if you choose to fire all the mounts...Which seems somewhat useless...
hobgoblin
i would say its pr weapon model, not pr individual weapon.
Cadmus
QUOTE (Kerris)
I have a rigger question as well.  Is the following statement true?

Well, is it?

didn't want to make a new thread and since one person posted that little formula of what is the rigger smile.gif I was wondering if the guy i'm using could be classed as a rigger hehe. he's more of a semi rigger realy.

My char main runs drones he has some hacking skills and ofcourse piloting skills but he never jumps into a drone of vehicle. am I still a rigger? or just a drone guy? lol

This message brought to you by 22 hours of no sleep wohoo!
Cheops
I think that, in my games at least, to officiall be called a rigger you have to have the Control Rig cyberware. We still use it OOC as a shorthand way of saying "my character has some drones and knows how to use them."
odinson
QUOTE (Cadmus)
QUOTE (Kerris)
I have a rigger question as well.  Is the following statement true?

Well, is it?

didn't want to make a new thread and since one person posted that little formula of what is the rigger smile.gif I was wondering if the guy i'm using could be classed as a rigger hehe. he's more of a semi rigger realy.

My char main runs drones he has some hacking skills and ofcourse piloting skills but he never jumps into a drone of vehicle. am I still a rigger? or just a drone guy? lol

This message brought to you by 22 hours of no sleep wohoo!

Yeah, you're a rigger.
odinson
QUOTE (savantt)
Also correct on the 9 dice to shoot one of the AK's. Like characters, if you wanted to fire both AK's at once, you would have to split your dice pool like a character firing two guns at once

Hmm...does that mean you'd be able to load multiple identicle targeting Autosofts on a single vehicle to deal with each gun? I ask, beacue a tripped out van (Body 14 IIRC) can carry 4 weapon mounts. Even with maxed out pilot and Autosoft (6+6) thats only 3 Dice if you choose to fire all the mounts...Which seems somewhat useless...

If you were to fire all 4 weapons at once your dice pool would be split 4 ways. You could always have the vehicle fire one gun on it's action and then your 2 team mates fire the guns on their actions , and you fire the fourth on your action.
bait
There is a distinction between drones and regular vehicles, its called rigger adaption. ( Drones have it built-in, vehicles have it as an option.)

And yes to be an actual rigger you do need a control rig, otherwise you can't "rig" the vehicle. ( Just using VR isn't the same as jumping in the drone.)

Another distinction is riggers generally work within there own PAN and not the full matrix. ( Hence the lack of hacking tools in the general rigging population.)

This is especially the case with Security riggers, as its not a wise idea to slave your security to an untrusted environment. ( Much better to slave it to a separate PAN, where only a set number of operators have access.)
Lagomorph
QUOTE (savantt @ Jun 25 2007, 11:28 AM)

THere really aren't rules for taking more than two actions. But I'd say you were correct about the 3 dice for 4 weapons.

If you set up a van with 4 guns, it would be better to have them be manned by other characters with the gunnery skill.

Or if you felt like brea..bending the rules a bit, you could attach automatic weapons mount (edit: smart firing platform is what I was thinking of) to the vehicle, which gives what ever gun it's attached to a rating3 + autosoft3 fire control (which could then be upgraded). No splitting dice because it's "a seperate entity controlling it's own weapon"
bait
Or could designate weapons as linked....
savantt

Huh? I'm assuming this means that essentialy they act as the same weapon...is this in the rule book? Page reference?

Thanks a load for the replys by the way wink.gif. My original questions were all answered ages ago!
bait
Well think of it this way, if all weapons were slaved to your comlink you could give them all the same command.
savantt
Yes, but would this avoid the problem of the computer splitting the dice pool?

Surely, even if it is the same command, you still need to fire each weapon at the target.

Its the same as a person dual wielding pistols...he can fire them both at the same target, but still needs to hit with each and therefore split his pool...
Lagomorph
QUOTE (savantt)

Huh? I'm assuming this means that essentialy they act as the same weapon...is this in the rule book? Page reference?

Thanks a load for the replys by the way wink.gif. My original questions were all answered ages ago!

no rules on this currently, but it wouldn't suprize me to find them in which ever source book gives out some rigger love. If there is such a book.
bait
Hmm, we're actually stymied here. ( Until we get linked weapons that is.)

Pg. 239 Arm/Disarm Weapon System.

"...A drone may only have one weapon system armed at any one time. ..."

Looks like they closed that loop.
savantt
Darn...there go my dreams of a fully-armed battlevan to provide amazing amounts of covering fire...ah well...

Thanks for sorting that one out.
bait
You don't want your ride performing combat duty, thats what drones are for.
odinson
QUOTE (bait)
Well think of it this way, if all weapons were slaved to your comlink you could give them all the same command.

That would be assuming that all the guns had their own pilot programs. If they were all attached to a smart firing platform that would work.
bait
True, but its much safer and easier to use separate Drone platforms to do this.( Not good to have your ride shot to pieces, unless you have an armored military/security vehicle.)
savantt
True, but its much safer and easier to use separate Drone platforms to do this.

It was more the fact that even the basic van has body 14, which results in 4 weapon mounts, a feat which very few drones can match...

Plus the idea of a Van equiped with 4 Light MGs, which could fire 80 Rounds per combat turn, just seemed amazing...Yeah, it could be done technically better with mutltiple drones, but it just would't have the same style...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012