Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cyberware and the Matrix
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
RudyHuxtable
Hey, I've got kind of a complex question regarding cyberware and its link to the Matrix.

Much like a hacker/technomancer can take over someone's drones, is it possible for them to also take over someone else's cyberware? I admit to having only skimmed the rules thus far, but it's a question I'm sure will come up. How exactly would someone hack into a piece of cyberware to control it? Through the owner's PAN/Commlink first? Would it be at least two separate tests (one for commlink, one for cyberware)?
Samantha
Err, we've been discussing it in several threads now. Choose one.
Abbandon
everything has wifi, even people's underwear. So everything can be hacked if the target is careless enough to leave them exposed.

two ways to hack a guy cyber:
1. The target is a retard and has it subbed to his comm. The hacker then hacks the targets comm and has access from there.
2. the hacker is within 0 signal range (a couple of meters) and can skip the commlink and go straight for the goodies.

ways to stop it:
1. turn all the wifi on the cyber you want to keep safe OFF.

Uhh thats the only way i know of to stop it lol. Some things I have read hinted at just making the stuff run in hidden mode but hidden stuff can be hacked still so I dont know how that is safe.
Samantha
You could try putting a really nice firewall on it. Talk to the resident hacker.
RudyHuxtable
QUOTE (Samantha)
Err, we've been discussing it in several threads now. Choose one.

Nah, I like creating my own threads to just add to the confusion. I'm subversive to your sensibilities that way.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Samantha)
You could try putting a really nice firewall on it. Talk to the resident hacker.

some ice may help to.

hmm, i wonder. if a pan is one whole node, and a limb is part of said pan, would any patroling ice go after anyone trying to hack the limb? could save on the ice costs (if your not a dirty thieving pirate that is).
Ravor
Well personally I've always been fond of using a Betagrade skinlink capable Datajack as a really nasty chokepoint to the rest of my ware when I actually have a reason to connect my cyber to my wireless PAN as opposed to my seperate skinlinked PAN. cyber.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012