Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question about the "ward on a van"
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
JonathanC
I think I asked this in another thread, but it was off-topic there. I'm familiar with the rules on wards, and the idea that you could ward the walls of a van, which would remain in place while the van moved, since the object that anchors the ward isn't being disrupted. By contrast, if you anchored a ward on a rock, and someone kicked it, the ward would collapse. What I'm wondering is, could you collapse a ward around a van by shooting the van repeatedly? And how much damage would you need to do before the ward collapsed?
sunnyside
Assuming the anchor isn't hit you'd seriously have to wreck the thing. (see the bit about holes in a wall not disrupting the ward).

Since shooting just makes holes I'd say normal shooting would have the van at destroyed long before enough damage to the frame has been done to disrupt the ward.

Same deal for most but not all crashes, GM discresion I suppose.

Also since they tend to have short blast radii, moslty just punching a quarter sized hole through the thing, anti vehicle missles probly would leave the ward intact (again assuming anchor intact). Especially if the walls are armored

Something like an HE missle would probably have the radius to rip up enough frame to disrupt the ward.

Just generally decide if the frame is sufficiantly warped such that, if the ward followed the external bodies contours, it would have to warp noticably. Making the thing look like swiss cheese wouldn't do it.

odinson
So t-boning the van with a remote controlled van would work just fine for disrupting the ward then?
Lagomorph
from the several discussions on DS about moving wards, I've decided that they're best ruled by handwaving. It makes the rules much more simple smile.gif
DireRadiant
Destroy the anchor, then the ward gets destroyed no doubt.
sunnyside
QUOTE (odinson)
So t-boning the van with a remote controlled van would work just fine for disrupting the ward then?

It'd be up to your GM but I'd think that would work. I'd want to see a little overdamage though. Filling up the condition monitor half way probably wouldn't do it.
JonathanC
QUOTE (sunnyside)
QUOTE (odinson @ Jun 25 2007, 01:41 PM)

It'd be up to your GM but I'd think that would work. I'd want to see a little overdamage though. Filling up the condition monitor half way probably wouldn't do it.

Why not? All you have to do to break the 'rock anchored' ward is move the rock an inch or so.
sunnyside
I'm presuming that the anchor is anchored very well. (sorry nyahnyah.gif ) Maybe welded to the driveshaft or something.

So to disrupt the ward you either have to.

A. Cause the driveshaft to deform enough to break free whatever is on it or move far enough relative to the body to disrupt the ward

B. Twist the body enough that it isn't really a "box" shape anymore or is significantly altered in relation to the driveshaft(such as if the roof were compacted).

In a T-bone crash the only way to cause those kind of alterations is to do something that would definitly put a vehicle into the "destroyed" catagory.

About the only ways I see the ward being destroyed but the vehicle only haveing a little damage would be if an attack somehow hit and destoryed/dislodged the anchor itself, or if the van went under something it didn't have the clearance for at high speed and the top got ripped of.

Buster
I'm thinking the same thing. How would you disrupt a ward around a room? I'm guessing you'd need to slam a wrecking ball through a wall, altering the configuration of the room before the ward would be affected. I would think you'd need to do the same level of damage to a van too. If the van was so twisted by getting t-boned, that it was undrivable, I would say the ward would be disrupted too. But if the van was only destroyed by RPGing the engine and/or blowing out the driveshaft, then the ward would remain intact.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012