Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun Technology Today
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
BitBasher
http://www.io2technology.com/
Phaeton
DUDE!!! SWEET!!! *wants one badly and wants to play Metroid Prime on it now...*
BitBasher
From what I understand some teenager at a tech school came up with this less than 2 months ago and now everyone and their sister wants to license the technology =)
Kagetenshi
Oooh, shiny.................

To provide some on-topicness: if they're this cheap, how good is the portability and reproduction quality? Could you use them as decoys?

~J
Kanada Ten
SR canon states "...high quality holographic imagery still illudes them..." but this was in the early 2050's so maybe the tech progressed. Heck, I'm still waiting for a viable lie detector in SR.
Userlimit
If you read this: http://www.kurzweilai.net/articles/art0134...tml?printable=1 it gives you an idea about how we may be far far ahead of Shadowrun tech when we reach the same time period. Of course, maybe not.
Kagetenshi
Mmm, Kurzweil.
On the other hand, it was once said we would be on Mars by now; we may very well end up behind SR in more than a few ways. Guess we'll have to find out the long way.

~J
Buzzed
LMAO, you know how magnets mess with CRT screens? I suggest not using a fan next to one of these.

I wonder if the "screen" warps if you blow on it. nyahnyah.gif
BitBasher
wind has no effect on it, it is NOT being projected onto a smoke wall or anything like that. you can stick your hand through it with no effects at all on the picture.
Tziluthi
That is so cool.
Link
Heck, I'm still waiting for a viable lie detector in SR.

The 1st Ed. SR book has a "High intensity veracity examiner" in the gear lists. I don't know why they excised it from later editions.
Spookymonster
Rather than fog or some sort of particulate being introduced to the air above the projector, the description of the Heliodisplay would seem to suggest a superior mirage - an image created by the refraction of light due to a temperature inversion.

Now, how he causes the temperature inversion, or how he is able to control it for more than a few inches above the display, is anybody's guess.
BitBasher
Well he seems to have controlled it quite well, he has a 42" working display completed biggrin.gif
Kagetenshi
Let the record show that I want one.

~J
Solkari
The image is planar (2D), not volumetric (3D).  It appears 3D when viewed more than a few feet away, however, because there is no physical depth reference.

I think I'll wait on this one. Guys at MIT and the like are working on making video holography viable. That'll be the one to watch, actual 3D images with display sizes measured in volume instead of area. The last I heard, MIT had created a display with a 150x75x75mm image.
Eldritch
Reuthyeum? (SP)

This looks promising. Don't know if anyone's posted it here yet. I've been away for a bit....
Kagetenshi
The advantage of this is that it's inexpensive and takes up fairly little space, not to mention the fact that it's compatible with current equipment. Your nice 3D display won't do much if all your video equipment is 2D.

~J
Tziluthi
But then if the technology is commercially viable, I'm sure you'd eventually see equipment and media to support it.
Pistons
This is a good thread, guys, but try to tie it in with Shadowrun a bit more, eh? smile.gif
Kagetenshi
So how accurately would this have to reproduce 2D images in order to act as a decoy in Shadowrun?

~J
Buzzed
QUOTE (Pistons)
This is a good thread, guys, but try to tie it in with Shadowrun a bit more, eh? smile.gif

Shadowrun Technology is based on Real-life technology. How does this not tie in with Shadowrun?
Buzzed
QUOTE (BitBasher @ Nov 12 2003, 02:22 AM)
wind has no effect on it, it is NOT being projected onto a smoke wall or anything like that. you can stick your hand through it with no effects at all on the picture.

This seems like an assumption. It changes the air (using temperature according to the site) and introduces light to that air to create the image. I don't see how wind or other air disturbances couldn't affect it.

The only useful application I can see from one of these is a museum setting where you want hundreds of visitors to touch it each day, without having to repair and clean a solid touch screen.

I can see one of these things being integrated into toilets and faucets too. Turn on the water and flush without having to make contact with germy knobs. Although this concept has been done before with light sensors. But a digital free floating FLUSH icon would be easy to find in the dark and would look cool. nyahnyah.gif
Tanka
On top of that, you could have all those silly Star Trek-type touch screens to do what you want done. Organizing would be so much simpler!

Oh, and, as an SR note: It says 3D holo still evades. What's to stop 2D holo like this? biggrin.gif
Kagetenshi
Exactly. That's why I reasked the question.

~J
JongWK
Cool, I hope it's not a phony. And that the price tag drops as soon as it is mass-marketed.
locomotiveman
They are having a demo on December 5th just north of Chicago, anyone from the Chicago area willing to go to give us a report?
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Buzzed)
This seems like an assumption. It changes the air (using temperature according to the site) and introduces light to that air to create the image. I don't see how wind or other air disturbances couldn't affect it.

If it were a problem, and they don't seem to suggest that it is, you could always have a television version (since you never really need to touch those) encased in a transparent box or some such. Would make regulating the temperature a lot easier, too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012