Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ally spirits, sense link and spirit-summoner-link
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Particle_Beam
Hello, I do have some new questions regarding the rules concerning spirits.

The core rule book states that all spirits (I presume this includes ally spirits as well, right?) have a special telepathic link that allows them to communicate over a distance.

But how far does it go? Could I communicate telepathically with a spirit on the other side of the globe, chit-chatting with it about various non-sense?

Also, the sense link power that ally spirits receive automatically, does it function in the very same way as the one meant for a bonded animal? Is it two-ways? Meaning, can the ally spirit feel the exact same things that its summoner does when in range? Does it also have to test on damage if the summoner gets hurt? Will the summoner have to test for damage?

Thank you in advance. smile.gif
DireRadiant
Opinion, but if the spirit is beyond magic * 100 meters it is on Remote Service, and is technically released, and thus this is the point at which the telepathic link may longer apply.
sunnyside
Well, according to the FAQ.

Is there a range limit to the mental link between a spirit and its summoner? Is the link maintained if a spirit is performing a final remote service? Can you use the spirit as a communication relay, by sending it to someone and holding a full conversation with them?

There is no limit, though at the gamemaster's discretion wards, mana barriers, background count, or travel to the metaplanes may interfere or block such communication. The link remains until the remote service is completed. Spirits may certainly be sent to mediate conversations or serve as remote spies.
FrankTrollman
Yes, you can telepathically communicate with a bound spirit at an unlimited range. Evo magicians use this trick to send verbal messages to and from Mars instantaneously (they leave bound spirits on Earth and then the magician goes to the Mars base, they canj still talk).

-Frank
Particle_Beam
What? Even beyond the Gaiasphere? Where is this information about the Evo magicians written about?
Dashifen
I think Frank's being facetious trying to illustrate that he disagrees with the instantaneous communication between spirit and summoner.
FrankTrollman
Not exactly. I don't have strong feelings about it, but as written, that would work. And since it would work, Evo would have to be a bunch of god damned idiots to not do it. The information density would be low (much lower than wifi downloads), but the fact that you could send simple messages at the speed it takes to say them would make it potentially invaluable.

As to it being "through" a lack of gaiasphere - that's not even an issue. It's instantaneous and non-directional, which means that it probably works through Quantum Entanglement which of course does not travel through intervening space at all. It merely requires the space at both ends to be predictable (or in this case, to have a viable manasphere).

That's the basic book's seeming take on it, so the spirit chapter in Street Magic was written under that assumption.

-Frank
reemul
Well, the Evo on Mars would be affected by the background count of the rating 9 void from being offearth without a gaiasphere. (See the casting on the moon example on p120 in Street Magic.) The communication may be instantaneous, but it might still be garbled. Doesn't matter whether the message "passes through" any space, it still originates in a void.
FrankTrollman
The surface of Mars is not a void though.

-Frank
sunnyside
I rather doubt the writers thought much about this. Hence the FAQ guys thing, which is as good as anything. In which case the void would mess up the space communication.

Plus they never say it's instantanious. They just treat it that way. Same as they do bullets. Also I'm pretty sure they're on the fence about whether quantum entanglement can actually be used to transmit information. (You can measure one thing to collapse the quantum state of the other, but that isn't so useful, you'd have to be able to somehow control what state the other system collapses into in order to send a message, and that might not be possible). At any rate that's another topic for another board.

FrankTrollman
QUOTE (sunnyside)
I rather doubt the writers thought much about this.

This I can categorically reject, because during the writing of Street Magic we did have conversations about that. What I can tell you is that instantaneous communication across long distances really bothers some of the writers because it implies that the spirits aren't separate entities but are instead simply creations of the magician (like the Hermetics always said), and it "seems cheap".

So you're looking at some hedging not because this is new territory in author discussion, but because it's really old territory that has been fought over with bloody talons!

The end up compromise is:
  • Yes, in the basic rules you can communicate with your bound spirits over any distance.
  • If you want to throw some limits on that for your own home game, go for it.

-Frank
sunnyside
That's actually quite enlightening.

So if there is a bit of hedging, oddness, or ambiguity in the rules/FAQ it isn't neccesarily indicitive that something wasn't discussed at length. But rather that it was a point of contention and the decision was more or less to let the GM sort it out.

For example in another thread we were arguing over exactly when a machine spirit's diagnostic power applied, for example to a smartlink. So I shouldn't think, neccesarily, that the writers/playtesters never thought about it in great detail, but perhapse that they decided to just leave it ambiguous for GMs to do with as they will if it comes up.

I suppose a little ambiguity also keeps the pagecount down.

Back on topic how does using the telepathic link work with services. It would appear. "go somewhere and repeat everything I say while sending me everything they say" is just one thing. But since spirits on remote service are released you couldn't tell them to change the parameters (i.e. they moved the speech to conference room C, you need to go there).

And any parameter change with a non-remote spirit would burn through tasks. So you couldn't "rig" a spirit very well.

Wait, maybe I need to re-read the bit on ally spirits. Maybe you can have bunker mages.
FrankTrollman
The diagnostics discussion is an open one because it is a known fact that a bunch of sections of the Mtrix rules are going to be overhauled - which necessarily will include sprites and their abilities. So there's a palpable feeling that saying pretty much anything is potentially going to be contradicted later on.

So basically you could read the diagnostics power as saying that you get bonus dice on using a device with respect to itself, or that you get bonus dice on using a device for what it is for. In the former case, one would be limited to using the bonus dice to loop footage or erase files or whatever, and in the latter reading you could bust out a medkit or smartlinked weapon and get bonus dice for performing actions in the real physical world.

Either reading is perfectly plausible, and as I understand it, some of the authors and playtester groups genuinely thought it was one or the other. In Unwired, someone is going to have to make a final ruling one way or the other in the Sprite services example, but I don't know who is going to be writing that. Things said can't be unsaid, so personally I'm leaving that question unanswered until it is actually decided who is going to make the final call (which should hopefully be based on game balance considerations with respect to a revised Technomancer cost structure so that they aren't so #$%^ing Karma expensive).

So yeah, you aren't getting a hard and fast answer on that one out of me. You're not getting it from Ancient History, Demonseed Elite, Peter, or even Rob. Not until there's a playtestable Unwired draft and an answer that can be given.

-Frank
Buster
QUOTE (sunnyside)

And the threadcount up.
sunnyside
Oop you postd while I was editing above. I thought I could sneak it in instead of double posting.

And while I do think TMs have some godly abilities I do agree with you it would play a lot better if they were cheaper.

Maybe limit their powers in some way other than BP?

Good luck with that.

Have you ever thought about writing up the metainfo you have on the book? That could save us some bickering around here.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Buster)
QUOTE (sunnyside @ Jun 28 2007, 05:53 PM)

And the threadcount up.

Oh hellz yeah. I really don't like shrugging my shoulders and saying "we'll see" - but it beats having me chime in and give a "definitive answer" while another writer jumps in and gives a different answer and so on. One needs only to look at WotC Custserv to see that answering questions both ways actually gives more pagecount than not answering at all.

What I'd like to see is a thread of people talking about why, for example, Diagnostics should or should not work on machine outputs. From the standpoint of game balance, story flavor, or even personal preference. It would actually convince some people to run it one way or another and would be a good resource for whoever ends up making that call once Augmentation is out to the printer.

-Frank
sunnyside
Well the trick of that is that game balance arguments largely depend on other things staying the same. For example as it is now if I can't even manage to pee straight for having to put all my BP into TM stuff having drones O' doom is only fair.

If they take your advice and provide some refreshing BP relief things would be very different. But maybe diagnostics should still be usable and the whole "control" ridiculousness should be worked out instead. That would actually be my take on the matter.

i.e. instead of rolling 12(control)+6 (gunnery+spec)+7 (multi roll diagnostics)+2 (matrix bonus)+2(smartlink)=29 die on the shot from the safety of your own comlink, you'd have to jump in and use sensors instead, risk taking damage if the drone gets hit, and risk dumpshock if it gets shot down.

But again I don't think that'd be really fair without some BP relief.
Particle_Beam
And what about the sense link power? How does it function, when a spirit is involved, instead an animal? It's after all the ally spirit that gets it, not the summoner. But does he still follow the same rule as the adept, or does only the ally spirit feel all these things?
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Particle_Beam)
And what about the sense link power? How does it function, when a spirit is involved, instead an animal? It's after all the ally spirit that gets it, not the summoner. But does he still follow the same rule as the adept, or does only the ally spirit feel all these things?

Technically it is the animal which gains the sense link power during Animal Atunement. So yes, it is the magical power to allow the player character to be able to see through their senses. The only difference is that you replace the word "animal" with "spirit", and you replace the word "adept" with "conjurer".

I kind of wish that Peter had made the wording on the power a little more generic when he folded Adept Senselink and Ally Senselink together, but it isn't a real big deal.

QUOTE (sunnyside)
Have you ever thought about writing up the metainfo you have on the book?

Yes. It's... sticky. There is a non-disclosure agreement involved. This NDA is written by Rob, who is a setting guy not a rules guy (He is the line editor who brought you the SR4 Hong Kong, it's Peter who actually line editted Street Magic). So what exactly it is that I can or cannot say is a little unclear to me.

In general, I let fly nuggets of information which in my estimation are overall beneficial to Shadowrun to be generally known. This way, I can probably avoid getting yelled at. But it's a sort of "use my gut feeling" sort of thing. Were I to simply compile a big list of stuff I know, I would almost certainly step over the line at some point.

It takes a fair amount of consideration before meta-information can be dropped. In the case of Unwired, the team isn't actually set so there's no reason to believe that I'm even going to be writing it and haven't signed a non disclosure agreement with regards to it, so I can say pretty much whatever I want. Less so with, for example, Street Magic or Augmentation.

-Frank
Particle_Beam
Does the ally spirit have to take a damage test if the conjurer gets hurt too, vice versa as the adept has to roll on a damage test if the bonded animal gets hurt?

I do guess that the conjurer will likewise also have to roll for damage if his ally spirit gets hurt when near enough, right?
FrankTrollman
The Sense Link is optional. If you are using the spirit's senses and the spirit takes damage, then yes you will have to resist feedback damage yourself. It's not automatic damage every time the spirit is damaged while within range, it's just when you are borrowing their point of view.

-Frank
Particle_Beam
And what about the spirit? Does he have to roll damage when his senses are connected with you? Same goes for the animal.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Particle_Beam)
And what about the spirit? Does he have to roll damage when his senses are connected with you? Same goes for the animal.

Nope. The Sense Link power is one way. Sense data (and damage) go from the critter with the power to the awakened character that they are linked to.

-Frank
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012