Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: technomancers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
odinson
So can the technos run agents? How about write them or write other hacking programs?

I know the book says the techno skills are different from the actual skills as the technos are all not magic magic and they just get the computers to do what they want but can the end effects be the same? So can your techno make some extra nuyen writing code for hackers using the techno skills?

I was thinking for a group of runners, could the techno help code firewalls or programs for the rest of the group?

The agents I was just wondering about cause the techno's can subscribe drones or things like that and that is basically what an agent is. It would help augment his army of sprites and wouldn't waste services on things like tapping a node or something like that.
Jack Kain
QUOTE (odinson)
So can the technos run agents? How about write them or write other hacking programs?

I know the book says the techno skills are different from the actual skills as the technos are all not magic magic and they just get the computers to do what they want but can the end effects be the same? So can your techno make some extra nuyen writing code for hackers using the techno skills?

I was thinking for a group of runners, could the techno help code firewalls or programs for the rest of the group?

The agents I was just wondering about cause the techno's can subscribe drones or things like that and that is basically what an agent is. It would help augment his army of sprites and wouldn't waste services on things like tapping a node or something like that.

No they can't agents are the drones of the matrix.
A technomancer's skills can't be used to write any kind of program usable by others.

What a technomancer can do is create sprites which serve a similar function to agents but are more like the spirits of the matrix.

Ravor
Personally I would allow Technomancers to do anything that a Decker could do with their skills, except teach another Decker.

Also as long as they have a commlink they can use any program that a Decker could, including Agents, but they have to command them just like a Decker would.
odinson
QUOTE (Ravor)
Personally I would allow Technomancers to do anything that a Decker could do with their skills, except teach another Decker.

Also as long as they have a commlink they can use any program that a Decker could, including Agents, but they have to command them just like a Decker would.

I was kinda thinking that they should be able to have the same effects with their skills as the deckers. The book only says that they are different in the way they are used so the end results should be the same.

As for the agents I figured that they couldn't be loaded into the techno's living persona as the techno can't load regular programs but if you had a datajack or something that provided storage you could load an agent into it and then load it onto the matrix when you were online. It would just be subscribed to you like anything else you can control.
Wasabi
So can the technos run agents?

Yes. They have to have a regular commlink and load them onto the persona program for the non-Living Persona. This could also be done by a non-hacker, non-TM.

How about write them or write other hacking programs?

They would require a non-TM version of the Software skill to do this. Losing one point of resonance for skillwires and internal commlink would be my choice of how to go about it. Note, however, that Resonance is GOLDEN so any implants at all make you a worse TM albeit skillwires/internal commlink give the TM much more versatility.

They could use Instruction skill to teach CF's to other TM's. To write code for hackers requires the non-TM version of the skills.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Jack Kain)
A technomancer's skills can't be used to write any kind of program usable by others.

Actually it is usable by anyone - others just don't understand how it works, nor the way the TM wrote it.
Jaid
seriously, do you people rule that non-technomancers can't use stuff the TM builds with their hardware skill, too?

i wouldn't even say it's necessarily impossible to understand for a normal hacker... though many hackers would build it differently, the code would indeed work normally, as the program is just a normal program, and runs just fine on normal devices.
Rotbart van Dainig
True. The 'how it works' part gets silly when having deterministic systems... so basically, the only thing remaining is indeed the 'how he did it' part.
odinson
QUOTE (Wasabi)

Yes. They have to have a regular commlink and load them onto the persona program for the non-Living Persona. This could also be done by a non-hacker, non-TM.

I was looking and I can't find anything that would suggest that the techno couldn't load an agent into his living persona. Would you have a page reference you could point me to?
Rotbart van Dainig
A TM has no storage capabilities himself, and the Living Persona originates from himself.
So he can't load anything into it...
Iduno
Buy the TM a few RFID tags. Then they have a place to store data.
Rotbart van Dainig
RFID tags are preitty much WORM media.

On the other hand, the poor TM owns clothes, doesn't he?
Buster
Also, the TM doesn't need to store the agents or any other data on his person. He should have a datastash somewhere on the net where he hides that kind of stuff. He would just pull it off the net when he needs it.
Iduno
Page 381 says "RFID Tag data is often fixed, but in some cases is reprogrammable." I've always read that as allowing some tags that are rewritable. The GM may decide they are more expensive (double perhaps), but they still seem to be available. Having a commlink to store things on would work just as well for storing the agents or programs.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Iduno @ Jul 1 2007, 10:29 PM)
Page 381 says "RFID Tag data is often fixed, but in some cases is reprogrammable."  I've always read that as allowing some tags that are rewritable.

A FPGA is reprogrammable, too - but you don't use it as a harddrive. wink.gif
Ravor
You know, I guess I don't really understand what the big deal is, a Technomancer who doesn't want to be found swinging from the nearest lightpole is going to want to have a working commlink anyways, so why not spend some of that cred that they really don't have another use for on a kickass commlink?
sunnyside
As I understand it an Agent doesn't have to be loaded into your persona living or otherwise. You CAN, such as if you want to go hacking with it and don't want it to have to crack in on its own, but you don't have to. For example maybe the TM doesn't want to spend time searching for something, and they don't want to waste fading/sprite services either, so instead they just send out an agent that runs off a seperate comlink.

This also gives TMs a reason to want nuyen, and greed is always good (in SR cyber.gif )

As for coding and all that I really really wish they had done things differently, so that would be more clear (and less BP intensive ideally). As a GM I think my solution would be "your time would be better spent building up sprite taskes and training your skills. Where do you think you have time for coding? Just buy they stuff after your next run or two."

odinson
QUOTE (sunnyside)
As I understand it an Agent doesn't have to be loaded into your persona living or otherwise. You CAN, such as if you want to go hacking with it and don't want it to have to crack in on its own, but you don't have to. For example maybe the TM doesn't want to spend time searching for something, and they don't want to waste fading/sprite services either, so instead they just send out an agent that runs off a seperate comlink.

Because you can be in 2 nodes at once can a techno hack into a site, then upload the agent that he has stored in his other node to that site so that said agent can sit around and do some spying and stuff?
Da9iel
If the agent's in a secure node, all the techno needs to do is have the agent drop an icon into the target node. You don't need to upload it (though you can of course).
odinson
QUOTE (Da9iel)
If the agent's in a secure node, all the techno needs to do is have the agent drop an icon into the target node. You don't need to upload it (though you can of course).

right, cause the agent can be in two nodes at once as well.
Wasabi
QUOTE (odinson)
QUOTE (Wasabi @ Jul 1 2007, 06:36 AM)

I was looking and I can't find anything that would suggest that the techno couldn't load an agent into his living persona. Would you have a page reference you could point me to?

p224 SR4: "Agents can be loaded into your persona like other programs"

This means agents are loaded onto a Persona program which is mutually exclusive to a Living Persona.

A TM could have a Persona Program but it wouldnt be his Living Persona. He would either need to have both be active (how my TM does it) or limit himself to one or the other.
Buster
Agents don't have to live in your persona, they can run in any node. They can even run in your datajack.
Wasabi
QUOTE (Buster)
Agents don't have to live in your persona, they can run in any node. They can even run in your datajack.

I re-read it and you're right. They wouldn't have automatic access so they'd need to be let into a node or hack their own way in via Exploit, but yeah... my bad. Both conditions are valid for a hacker and the latter option only for TM's.
Buster
Come to think of it, if you stored your agent on your commlink persona, does it gain automatic access to your current node via your existing datastream? If so, maybe your external agent can do the same thing and piggyback on your datastream from outside the secure node. All it would need is access to your datastream which you can grant access.
Wasabi
QUOTE (Buster)
Come to think of it, if you stored your agent on your commlink persona, does it gain automatic access to your current node via your existing datastream? If so, maybe your external agent can do the same thing and piggyback on your datastream from outside the secure node. All it would need is access to your datastream which you can grant access.

As a passcode, yes, although that could be stolen off your commlink.
sunnyside
QUOTE (Buster)

I'd say no, you want to be really careful with that. You start getting armadas of the things running on a persona "for free".

Granted you could have an armada of the things running on seperate nodes, but then at least when you hack in on the fly they all have to hack in seperatly putting the system on a dozen alerts in a couple seconds and with that kind of attack someones just going to pull a plug or something.

It's when you hack in and the agents get in for free through you that I see a problem. In my games you have to either load the thing into your comlink or it's seperate. (possibly costing you response, thusly lowering all program ratings, because response drops system and system drops everything else).

If you're worried about the munchkin in your group complaining that it isn't clear in RAW that you can't do that I'd suggest having a spider drop two dozen agents on him the next time he runs the matrix and they say "hmmmmm, maybe that isn't fair, should I require agents to run on your comlink to be linked?"
ccelizic
Agents are a SEVERE resource hog, even if you try to load them on the node you are on, which is possible if you have access to it. I'd let you sneak in agents, but you pay for their use in response as per usual. If you look at the official shadowrun FAQ, it notes specifically that each agent counts as a seperate program instance AND each program it runs counts as ANOTHER program instance seperate from any copies your persona is running. So, if you have an agent running with attack, and you are running attack, that's 3 programs RAW. Your attack, your agent, your agent's attack. You and the agent can load attack from the same program source, but for purposes of impact on response, the agent's programs count seperately.

Consider the example encounter in the PDF with the two agents. That's 2 agents with 3 programs, that's 8 programs total. With that systems reponse of 4 and system of 4 it would have been brought down to a response of 2 with all those programs running and those IC would be running at severely hampered effectiveness, since their pilot would be effectively 2, and all their programs would be effectively 2. This is why it's a good idea to script your agents. I currently play a chaos mage with a few ranks in some computer skills. When he's not actively doing anything in the matrix (the dedicated hacker sometimes calls on him for support, a slightly trained non-dedicated hacker in SR4 actually makes for good backup in this game.) I load a rating 4 agent, I give it general analysis tools. Its orders are if it picks up anyone who isn't on my team logged on to my commlink, it is to sound an alarm, unload it's scanning tools and load up attack and armor. In fact, I've been known to load a copy on the nodes of my runner teammates using the resources of their nodes. Makes it a little harder for an opposing hacker to get inside your team's pans and reak havoc.

Thing is still, loading just ONE agent with programs will cripple your effectiveness if you are trying to run programs too. Loading one on a node can give you an extra helper, but loading more and more will quickly cripple the node and the effectiveness of the agents you loaded. It would be an odd way to drop the response of a node to 0 if you managed to hack yourself enough access to a node to load agents on it and eat up resources, but such activity would probably attract the attention of security rather fast IMHO. Also note it takes an action to load a program, including agents, and agents specifically cannot load agents as noted in the FAQ

That being said, you just can't zerg with agents, the computer would go win98 on you rather quickly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012