Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Augmentations
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Zolhex
Ok as I write this I have been out of the theater for 2 hours sorry my mind took sometime to finish reeling from the movie which is really cool you should go see it.

But now I have an inquirey with Augmentation we get the ability to make full-body cyborgs so question can I make one that can transform???

Sorry but I just think it'd be cool make a guy who can become a car and then sit parked and watch your target till an opening comes along to do what ever it is you were hired to do then transform and do it.

Oh if you have not guessed yet I saw Transformers at the first midnight screening in my area.
Jaid
for a human to transform would probably not be available imo. certainly nothing as drastic as what happens with the transformers at least. such transformations are difficult when your lungs can only go so far from your mouth before the connecting tubes rip, for example...

(i suppose Dr. Halberstom's brain-in-a-jar experiments could rectify some of that, but that's hardly the standard).

the other problem is that, for the most part, transforming isn't really all that practical.
Wakshaani
I do wonder, here, what kinds of "Mecha" we'll be getting in augmentation and/or arsenal. To borrow from Bubblegum, I'd at least expect Boomers and battlesuits roughly the size of cars, but *not* expect hardsuits or, you know, gundams.

But I've got a Pilot: Anthroform just itchin' to b used.
Synner
Weird...
Ravor
Well personally I'm of the opinion that if they offically introduce Transformers (More then meets the eye.) to the Sixth World I'm going to swear off Shadowrun for good and go play Cancer. cyber.gif

However, I take great relief in Synner's post. cool.gif
Zen Shooter01
Thus far SR has shied away from various Japanese visions of the future. Thankfully, it's not about anime.
sunnyside
Although they did have that bit with the furries. Though I suppose that isn't Japanese per se. Of course neither is transformers, which they kind of put into battletech back in the day.

Still I'm hoping it doesn't really show up in shadowrun.
Synner
QUOTE (Ravor)
However, I take great relief in Synner's post. cool.gif

Actually there's more to my post than meets the eye... no, seriously. nyahnyah.gif
Moon-Hawk
Ooh, maybe it means that Wakshaani's post was uncannily accurate. smile.gif *speculate speculate guess froth rant*
ThreeGee
Actually there's more to my post than meets the eye

Like why your still using a Pilot skill maybe?
Wakshaani
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Ooh, maybe it means that Wakshaani's post was uncannily accurate. smile.gif *speculate speculate guess froth rant*

Well, Back in The Day, Fuchi was working on hardsuits, but they never seemed to get past the prototype stage.

A larger, waldo-like suit, tho, could work pretty well, especially if we get Hachiman 2.0 security bots with legs instead of tank treads.

Curse my futurist hide!

Rotbart van Dainig
Nothing wrong with landmates.
Wakshaani
QUOTE (ThreeGee)
Actually there's more to my post than meets the eye

Like why your still using a Pilot skill maybe?

Because all the vehicle skills are pilots? Pilot Ground, Pilot Aerospace, and so on.
FrankTrollman
In order to make a Transformer, I'm afraid that you're going to have to conjure up a Spirit of Man from a Possession or Inhabitation Tradition. Its optional power will be Innate Spell, and it will have Vehicle Form. You'll put the spirit into a anthroform battle suit and it will cast a spell on itself to turn into a car.

That would work. But technology in Shadowrun is not sufficient to get around the fact that any part of a vehicle which can mechanically "transform" is definitionally also a part of the vehicle which is structurally vulnerable. In short, a vehicle which could literally and physically transform would be fundamentally weaker than a vehicle which could not (at the same size, weight, and materials).

So you'd have to go magic, because magic operates on entirely different rules.

-Frank
Critias
As far as just powered armor goes, you could fake it pretty well with the SR3 diving suits (STR enhancements and all), if you had a mind to.
ThreeGee
Because all the vehicle skills are pilots?

I was just speculating that they may have introduced some sort of non-rigged cybernetic control system for Anthroforms and the like. Something that enabled you to use your skills rather than a Pilot roll.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
In order to make a Transformer, I'm afraid that you're going to have to conjure up a Spirit of Man from a Possession or Inhabitation Tradition. Its optional power will be Innate Spell, and it will have Vehicle Form. You'll put the spirit into a anthroform battle suit and it will cast a spell on itself to turn into a car.

That would work.

BRILLIANT! [/Guinness]
Ancient History
Now, now. Everyone knows a transformer is the result of a good merge between a vehicle and a Spirit of the Machine.
Wakshaani
QUOTE (ThreeGee)
Because all the vehicle skills are pilots?

I was just speculating that they may have introduced some sort of non-rigged cybernetic control system for Anthroforms and the like. Something that enabled you to use your skills rather than a Pilot roll.

Like, say, an Autosoft?

Sort of a given that cars have "Dog Brains" and can carry out basic voice commands, while more advanced vehicles can, quite blatantly, pilot themselves.

"Cabbie, take us to the Rand-Armani apartment complex! Go!"

"Doors closing. I do hope you have a pleasant ride in Shiawase Service Car #1123. If you wish to have ongoing dialogue, request 'Converse' now. If you want to be given a scenic tour, request 'Tour' now. If you want an express ride for business purposes, request 'Direct' no. If you want this message repeated, request 'Repeat' now."

"Frackin' drone cabs! Fine fine ... "Direct"."

"You have chosen Direct. Please sit back and leave the driving to Shiawase. Would you like conversation? Please select yes or no at this time."

"No!"

"You have chosen no conversation. A menu of entertainment options will now open on the panel in front of you. For a small fee, any of the content may be downloaded onto your commlink for long term viewing."

*grumble*

That's not to say that they're perfected, but the higher end programs can at least pull off a "Lucy Liu-Bot" level of interaction.
ThreeGee
Like, say, an Autosoft?

Nope, something that enables you to control an anthroform as though it was your own body. Using your skills, athletics, firearms... Just speculating on the content of Augmentation.
mfb
you could call it a Deceptisoft.
Moon-Hawk
Ha!
Wakshaani
QUOTE (ThreeGee)
Like, say, an Autosoft?

Nope, something that enables you to control an anthroform as though it was your own body. Using your skills, athletics, firearms... Just speculating on the content of Augmentation.

So, like a wireless vehicle rig, then?

Which, naturally, gives rise to the return of Thomas Roxborough and our beloved RoxBots.

"We got him!" *blamblamblam* "What th'?! Aw man!"

"MWU-hahahaha! That's right, foolish runners, that was only a RoxBot I used as a decoy. The *real* Thomas Roxborough has been in Oregon the entire time!"

Oh RoxBots! We can never get enough of you.
Nocturne
So, out of morbid curiosity, what IS the technical handwaving that justifies Transformers (either in the latest movie or the old series)? Nanomachines? Living metal? Absurdium/Unobtainium construction?

I do like the possession angle in SR though, very nice. *golfclap*
Zolhex
QUOTE (mfb)
you could call it a Deceptisoft.

Ahh you could but only if your evil you wanna be a good guy ya need to stick to Autosofts. grinbig.gif
Zolhex
QUOTE (Nocturne)
So, out of morbid curiosity, what IS the technical handwaving that justifies Transformers (either in the latest movie or the old series)? Nanomachines? Living metal? Absurdium/Unobtainium construction?

I do like the possession angle in SR though, very nice. *golfclap*

Well the old cartoons was the idea of expanding plasma theory or so I have been told.

As to the new movie Bay is said to have used a math formula so that robot size is equal to the mass of the vehicle.

Which is why he went with a long nose peterbuilt for Optimus as the cartoon cab over semi that was used didn't allow for Optimus to stand at the 25 feet Bay wanted.
Wakshaani
QUOTE (Nocturne @ Jul 3 2007, 06:18 PM)

Their bodies are made out of an extremely durable metal.

"Die cast construction. It's a lost art."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012