Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Upgrading Drones
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ddays
Anybody else finding the core rulebook very unorganized? I understand the benefits of keeping magic and matrix off to the side as not every character may want to buy those skills, but instead it just means that nobody knows what the heck is going on in regards to spell resistance and being hacked once the game starts.

Anyway, I'm looking for rules on improving a drone, particularly in regards to pilot and firewall. The rigger section mentioned amped up drones, but I can't find any rules to support it. Also, a rigger in a drone, gunnery or autosoft?
kzt
The tables on page 240 and 321 also applies to drones.
Ddays
What are a drone's base firewall and system? Do drones even have a system? I'm assuming equal to pilot?

What sorts of sensors do drones carry? Can you upgrade those?
DireRadiant
If you don't know, then it's 3 unless it's over ridden by a specific number elsewhere.

See table on page 214
Ddays
Do drones need a commlink or do they have a default response built in? Closer inspection does seem to reveal that pilot is the overriding attribute for drones, but I still can't find a way to upgrade it above the base 3 that most drones come with.
Unarmed
You can buy a new pilot program for your drone at whatever rating you need it to be at. I don't have my book on me, so I don't know the page number for that, but it's in the chart with all the program costs.
Backgammon
A drone has by default all Matrix stats of 3.

To upgrade, you boost up the various components (firewall, system, signal, response) just as you would a commlink's.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Ddays)
Do drones need a commlink or do they have a default response built in? Closer inspection does seem to reveal that pilot is the overriding attribute for drones, but I still can't find a way to upgrade it above the base 3 that most drones come with.

P. 240. Read the right side paragraphs, and then use the table.

Device = COmmlink = drone = any wireless device.

You can add Firewall 6 to your cyberleg if you want, use the chart there on page 240.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (kzt)
The tables on page 240 and 321 also applies to drones.

Credit is due here, kzt answered first.
sunnyside
There is an "device rating table" tucked away on 214. Anyway most drones are rating 3 while combat type ones are rating 4. Meaning that all their matrix stuff is that rating. I generally consider rating 3 to be "free" and 4 to be a common upgrade done by security agencies(upgrade hardware and software like a comlink).

Upgrades that would be strongly advised would be analyze to prevent hacking. Also in the FAQ (and in the missions adventures) firewall isn't limited to respons and system the way other programs are.

So it's very common in play (like if the NPC has a steel lynx or something) to have a drone with 4's in most ratings but a 6 firewall and only admin and security access. (meaning the threshold to hack on the fly is 9).

On a drone pilot is used instead of system and is described as a special type of OS, which, while unclear, I just treat pilot like an agent that doesn't take up one of the slots of programs that can run before response goes down and that can't go cavorting out in the matrix and means that the drone can't be used by a player as regular comlink unless a system program is loaded on it.

Anyway so at rating 4 it gets 4 programs. Likely maneuver, target and clearsight autosofts and analyze to catch people trying to hack in on the fly. You could also store a copy of an attack prog that it can swap in for analyze or an autosoft to attack an intrude. But first it will try to terminate their connection via p223. So with firewall 6 +4 for active alert and pilot rating 4 it would roll 14 die against the hackers exploit +hacking.

Note that a PC could of course upgrade all of a drones stuff to 6 once play has started, backing up the software in case the drone gets blown up. However the rating 6 hardware cost 8000+whatever you pay for signal, which is more than the drone cost in the first place. Which is probably why corps tend to not go much over 4 or the default 3 for drones. Because after that (p321) the prices of things start shooting up.

Also note that by default most drones don't have any autosofts.

So, in summery.

An off the shelf drone comes with rating 3 response and firewall, but nothing else that isn't in the drone description.

After that upgrade as you want like a comlink and buy programs to load as you will. If you want to spice up buy drones have the standard packages from different compaines have different bundles of hardware and software for a reduced price.

For example clearsigh 3 and maneuver 3 would normally cost 1200 for the pair. But maybe you add them into this months shaiwais special, plus and upgrade to signal 4 for only 1000 over list! This is sort of what they did to spice up firearms when all the pistols have the basic same values. Just toss in discounted smartlinks and lasersights or what have you.

EDIT. People posted while I was typing and doing other stuff. But at least I've got page numbers. And tried to explain how it fits together. Probably just confusing the poor guy. nyahnyah.gif

EDIT#2: I had a little typo and made it look like pilot and signal start at 3 as well, when obviously they are whatever rating is given in the drone description.
Ddays
Haha, I actually found your post to be most enlightening.

So as a rigger, I should basically treat my drone as a second commlink that I need to trick out accordingly. Thanks a lot.
Aku
basically thats right, towards tge start of the rigger section is some ideas on what they normally do and dont trick out.
sunnyside
And you do need to trick them out unless you're going to always be jumped in.

At least picking up an autosoft or two and analyze if you want ot keep hackers out. Note that firewall is software and not drone specific, so see if the team decker will spot you a copy of theirs.
Ddays
Do I need to buy software multiple times for my commlinks and drones or can I just buy one and copy it around?
Dancer
You're supposed to buy it multiple times (or at least that's what the law says). You may have the skills required to copy it anyway.
Buster
from aku on another thread, here's the page number for the rules on cracking copyright protection on software: p. 228 "source code and piracy"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012