Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cover penalties and combat dice pools
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
draglikepull
Before I get into this in any detail, I'll just say that everyone in my group is playing the characters they originally created when we first started playing, so they aren't exactly maximized. I point this out because I'm looking for advice other than "the characters should be built better" because I know they aren't optimal.

In the campaign we're currently running, combat is taking an excruciatingly long time. From what I gather, part of this is just that combat takes a long time, however, some of my players are getting bored with how long it's taking and how little damage they seem to be doing. A big part of this is the cover penalties.

At -4 for good cover (which most characters seem to be behind for the most part, leaning around corners, over boxes, etc.) some of the characters are effectively crippled. As an example, one of our characters (somewhere in the middle in terms of combat effectiveness) has 3 agility, and 3 in pistols, with a revolver specialization. That means, after including -4 for the enemy's good cover and -1 for the PC being behind cover, his dice pool is down to 3. Against an NPC with a reaction of 3 or 4 (pretty average), the PC will only hit successfully half the time. After damage reduction he's generally only doing about 2 damage. 2 damage every other round of combat seems to be very small, and is very frustrating for the player, who feels like he's doing nothing.

Compounding the situation is that die pools that small have a higher tendency to glitch or critically glitch. In our last session, one player critically glitched twice in the opening 3 rounds of combat due to his die pool of 3. I realize that's statistically unlikely to happen often, but one other PC and an NPC also critically glitched during those three rounds, always due to low die pools.

One way we've gotten around this a bit is by reducing the cover penalty in half, to -2 for good cover. However, damage still seems somewhat low against moderately powered enemies, and a 5 on 5 combat can take upwards of an hour and a half. Is there any way to speed up combat without making it too deadly? I'm worried that any other changes I make would either render cover useless (which I don't want, I think cover is important to keep players from being reckless), or greatly increase the odds of the PC's dying.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (draglikepull)
Compounding the situation is that die pools that small have a higher tendency to glitch or critically glitch. In our last session, one player critically glitched twice in the opening 3 rounds of combat due to his die pool of 3. I realize that's statistically unlikely to happen often, but one other PC and an NPC also critically glitched during those three rounds, always due to low die pools.

I have a house rule that cover modifiers are applied as a positive DP modifier to the defender's dodge pool, rather than a negative modifier to the attackers pool for this exact reason.
Backgammon
As a sort of house rule, I've often reduced cover penalty based on how solid the cover was... I mean, that wooden crate may be concealing the other guy, but if you miss and hit the crate, that bullet is going thru the crate anyway... So yes, it's harder to see the guy, but if you miss and hit the crate, no biggie...

However, I think the more logical answer to your question is that the players, and the NPCs on your side, should reconsider their tactics. Ok, everyone is behind cover.. ok let's shoot at each other till we run out ofr bullet?? How bout half the team provides suppressive fire from behind their cover while the other half starts flanking?

There's nothing 'wrong' about everyone being behind cover. It is, however, pretty stupid everyone stays put and shoots it out forever. Flank! Retreat! Advance!
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (draglikepull)
Is there any way to speed up combat without making it too deadly? I'm worried that any other changes I make would either render cover useless (which I don't want, I think cover is important to keep players from being reckless), or greatly increase the odds of the PC's dying.

I use the grunt rules and the purchasing hits at 4:1 rules extensively for unimportant NPCs. Normally trading dice for hits is only allowed for large pools and non stressful situations, but if you apply it to NPCs you can get through combat much more quickly.

You can always continue to roll dice for the important villains, or maybe for the last one or two guys in the fight, or the opening round, or whatever you want, but I switch between rolling everything and using this method frequently in order to adjust the pacing of combat. My players know I'm doing it, and they're good with it.
The players still make all their rolls, of course.
Kyoto Kid
[edit]...didn't think another post was going to slip in ahead

QUOTE (Backgammon)
There's nothing 'wrong' about everyone being behind cover. It is, however, pretty stupid everyone stays put and shoots it out forever. Flank! Retreat! Advance!

...nah, just grab your blaster (OK Ares Alpha) and run at them screaming like a madman as Han Solo did on the Deathstar. grinbig.gif
Marwynn
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
QUOTE (draglikepull @ Jul 19 2007, 03:08 PM)
Compounding the situation is that die pools that small have a higher tendency to glitch or critically glitch.  In our last session, one player critically glitched twice in the opening 3 rounds of combat due to his die pool of 3.  I realize that's statistically unlikely to happen often, but one other PC and an NPC also critically glitched during those three rounds, always due to low die pools.

I have a house rule that cover modifiers are applied as a positive DP modifier to the defender's dodge pool, rather than a negative modifier to the attackers pool for this exact reason.

That's a great house rule! I'm going to suggest that to my GM.

He'll probably want to turn my Physical Camoflauge spell into an Infiltration/Dodge bonus instead of the negative Perception/Ranged penalty, but it'll be worth it.

But perhaps before you go down the House Rule path maybe you could try giving your runners some room to flank and such. For example, a Mage casts Trid Phantasm or some other spell to get their opponents to believe they're still shooting back; maybe a few even die. Meanwhile the rest of the team circles back or angles for a better shot.

But still liking that house rule.
James McMurray
Use your action to move around cover and blast them.
Ravor
Of course, you have better pray that some of them aren't "holding" an action just in case the runners try something that crazy as well as hope that you finish them off with your attack.
odinson
QUOTE (draglikepull)
As an example, one of our characters (somewhere in the middle in terms of combat effectiveness) has 3 agility, and 3 in pistols, with a revolver specialization. That means, after including -4 for the enemy's good cover and -1 for the PC being behind cover, his dice pool is down to 3. Against an NPC with a reaction of 3 or 4 (pretty average), the PC will only hit successfully half the time. After damage reduction he's generally only doing about 2 damage. 2 damage every other round of combat seems to be very small, and is very frustrating for the player, who feels like he's doing nothing.

He's using a revolver. Thats why he's not doing much damage. If he had a high skill then the revolver might work well, but at a low skill he should take something with SA and BF. With a SA weapon he could at least fire twice in one round, and with BF and a couple of points or RC he could lay down some wide bursts making the defenders dodge pool 0 and increasing his chance to hit.
Dashifen
QUOTE (Backgammon)
However, I think the more logical answer to your question is that the players, and the NPCs on your side, should reconsider their tactics. Ok, everyone is behind cover.. ok let's shoot at each other till we run out ofr bullet?? How bout half the team provides suppressive fire from behind their cover while the other half starts flanking?

This is an excellent suggestion. One I used against my own PCs to get them to move a bit during combat. It worked very well when two of my guys spent Edge to go first, unloaded with suppressive fire and their team mates (the other NPCs) moved to flank the PCs taking care not to be in the suppressed area. The PCs were basically pinned down (except for one who thought to fire her smartlinked gun from behind full cover pegging one of the suppressing NPCs) and the NPCs moved far enough in one or two passes (I misremember) to have nullified the cover from their new flanking angle.

Also, depending on how your PCs are behind cover, a grenade dropped behind their cover might just ruin their day. Ditto for fireball or any other indirect area combat spell.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (odinson)
As an example, one of our characters (somewhere in the middle in terms of combat effectiveness) has 3 agility, and 3 in pistols, with a revolver specialization.  That means, after including -4 for the enemy's good cover and -1 for the PC being behind cover, his dice pool is down to 3.  Against an NPC with a reaction of 3 or 4 (pretty average), the PC will only hit successfully half the time.  After damage reduction he's generally only doing about 2 damage.  2 damage every other round of combat seems to be very small, and is very frustrating for the player, who feels like he's doing nothing.

He's using a revolver. Thats why he's not doing much damage. If he had a high skill then the revolver might work well, but at a low skill he should take something with SA and BF. With a SA weapon he could at least fire twice in one round, and with BF and a couple of points or RC he could lay down some wide bursts making the defenders dodge pool 0 and increasing his chance to hit.

Good point.
Also, where the heck is his smartlink? Cheap weapon add-on + cheap glasses = +2 dice.
James McMurray
QUOTE (Ravor)
Of course, you have better pray that some of them aren't "holding" an action just in case the runners try something that crazy as well as hope that you finish them off with your attack.

True, but if the complaint is that combat is too slow you have to act to speed up combat. There are very few ways of doing that which don't involve remaking characters and/or increasing the danger the characters are in during the gun fight.

Grenades are good at getting around cover. That might not require a lot of remaking if someone already has thrown, heavy weapons, or skill wires. It's not available on every run (chem grenades can help this somewhat), but it can help.
James McMurray
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Also, where the heck is his smartlink? Cheap weapon add-on + cheap glasses = +2 dice.

Also, have him use chemical munitions if possible. They have a base damage not based on net hits but still fairly high (10 for narcoject). They also are almost assured of being soaked with fewer dice since you don't get armor, just chemical seal.
Ravor
True, it's more of a knee jerk reaction that I get whenever people give solutions which would get the runners killed in my games. cyber.gif
sunnyside
Ok you've got two issues. On the dice pools.

First off don't forget about the aim action. If your low pool guys starts carrying a warhawk instead of the pred he'll hit a little harder and be able to add one to his dice pool every time. More if he takes a little time. Also I don't apply the -1 for cover unless they'll ducking up and down or in uncomfortable cover. A gun bench is technically cover, let me assure you that my accuracy goes up instead of down, but I'd consider the hood of a car "even". That put his pool up to a healthy five, though generally range will eat up a little of that.

Also bear in mind that this situation is fairly realistic. I live in philly and when a shooting makes the news it seems that typically guys will be shooting at each other from cover or while moving and after maybe a hundred rounds have flown through the air all they'll have managed to hit are a couple school children they weren't aiming at. (and of course it being philly nobody saw anything but that's besides the point). It also seems to happen in the military with slightly higher "dice pools" I remember Iraqi war coverage of fighting with insurgents in a building where the soldiers fire their weapons until the barrels ran hot while under return fire but casualties on both sides were low (at least until they brought in a tank or whatever).

As for moving to a flanking position you've got two mechanical options. In the first the other PCs just shoot whatever they have really quick and you just say that the NPCs keep their heads down for an action. The second way is that everyone else pops up and holds an action. The first NPC to pop up and aim at the other guy gets a bunch of shots his way which might knock him down or should at least give him a penalty, thus giving the PC on the run a better chance. The PC running for cover gets +2 for running and can use a full defense action for more die, making up for leaving cover.

Finally your char could use some edge to hit.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Now aside from that you've got the issue of combat speed in shadowrun.

First consider that typically runners can't afford a shootout. Reinforcements are almost always on the way, whether it's more gangers in the barrens, corp special forces in a corp facility, or lone star most anywhere else. They don't have the luxury of a long shootout (note in real life it also tends to end poorly for a perp if they get pinned down for much the same reason, except spirits and drones can get to the scene a lot faster).

Another thing you can do is make shadowrun dice (mark up the two, three, and fours so they look like the body of the die, mark the "one" one color and the five and six a different color. That way when you roll you don't have to check the numbers you just see successes and ones).

An even faster method, especially for your NPCs is to have an automated dice roller (have a copy of matlab? I'm sure there is other stuff). That way you can roll piles of die at once. Personally on the table top I queue rolls for NPCs (roll a bunch ahead of time and write down the numbers than just read them off when I need five grunts to shoot or whatever).

Finally, and I'd wait until your players are experienced, you can make them play fast. Many players tend to put combat on pause while they consider their actions, or generally they're just slow. However their characters have all of a half second to decide what to do. Therefore as you go around the table demand rapid actions. If they hem and haw treat it as their character taking an "observe in detail" action.

This is helped by having the players know how many dice they should roll so they can do it while they describe their action, so you might want to houserule that the only things that apply penalties to dice pools are things that the character would know about (are they running, are they wounded). Things you'd have to tell them (range, cover, visibility modifiers) are applied as dodge bonuses. This also makes the glitch situation more realistic. If you glitch because you were shooting while running and wounded that makes sense.

I'm pretty sure the devs did things the way they did because when you do things this way you have to give potted plants a dodge roll. But I think it works better.
James McMurray
I was a bit terse with it, but moving out of cover doesn't have to be a banzai charge. Other characters can provide covering fire, you can have your most defensive guy do it and then immediately switch to total defense if they're storing up actions, etc. If there's a rigger in the group, disposable drones make good cover-breakers.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (odinson)
As an example, one of our characters (somewhere in the middle in terms of combat effectiveness) has 3 agility, and 3 in pistols, with a revolver specialization.  That means, after including -4 for the enemy's good cover and -1 for the PC being behind cover, his dice pool is down to 3.  Against an NPC with a reaction of 3 or 4 (pretty average), the PC will only hit successfully half the time.  After damage reduction he's generally only doing about 2 damage.  2 damage every other round of combat seems to be very small, and is very frustrating for the player, who feels like he's doing nothing.

...Is the damage being calculated correctly? A Super Warhawk has a base DV of 6 and an AP of -2 This means the target's effective Ballistic rating is 2 pts lower and he gets 2 less dice for the soak roll. If the PC is getting an average of 1 hit that means the target has to shake down a DV of 6 with Body + Ballistic (-2). Given the target is an average human with a Armoured Jacket and 3 body, that gives him 9 dice to resist with an average of 3 hits. The means he takes 3 boxes which gives him a -1 to all tests and his initiative. That still

Since the revolver is a Single Shot weapon, the PC should use a simple action to aim giving him another +1 to his pool.

It appears the character doesn't a Smartlink. He should consider getting it on glasses or goggles (if he doesn't want to deal with the implant) and have his Warhawk internally modified. This will add another +2 to the pool.

Now he has a final pool of 6 which on average would give him 2 hits per attack.

Another option would be using Gel rounds. These would increase the base damage code to DV 8 with an AP of 0 and go against impact armour (which is lower than Ballistic). Again using the example above, he would be doing at least an 8 DV (S). Furthermore, stun can only be healed by First Aid so the NPC will either be forced to withdraw or deal with the negative modifiers. Reducing numbers however you can is always a good thing. Also, do not forget knockdown (Gel rounds reduce the target's body by 2 for knockdown tests and wound modifiers affect the agility test to get up).

For a more deadly attack, change to EXEX which improves the base DV to 7 and AP to -3. Now the target above has only 8 dice to roll reducing the average hits to 2. That's 5 boxes of damage.

Granted a SA/BF weapon would probably be better for someone with small pool but with the right ammo and tactics the revolver can still be very effective. Unless the PC is the team's sammy or gunbunny, (what archetype are they?) the player should realise they will be performing more of a secondary role during a firefight. Also, this may be one area the player may want to look at improving with Karma.
Lilt
I'll add another call for grenades, where available and viable (not when you're trying to keep things stealthy).

Also, your guy's kinda average. I'm not saying he's bad, he's just average. Why are you complaining that you can only hit something, something that's very hard to hit at that, half the time? If you want someone who can hit reliably, boost your skill and/or get some tech boosts (smartlink ETC). You get karma and cash for a reason.

I'm not trying to say your character's badly designed, you probably got a lot from the other stuff you spent money on, but at the end of the day Runners are supposed to be a cut above the rest. You want opponents to only hit you half the time, and so any rule that lets you dive behind something and lower the rate at which you're taking damage is good.

Remember, you're shot at every session, most mooks/NPCs only last/appear in one. Anything that favours defence favours you.
laughingowl
Its also a house rule... (or house interpertation).

But teamwork rules might want to be considered.

Per Cannon, the player could instead of taking a shot provide a few extra dice for the sammy. (arguably pot shoots to force the npc out from cover).

A stretch though not prohibited would be giving the sammy extra dice on his dodge when he stands up and gets shot. The question is does the player make a 'dodge' roll himself (straight canon) or do you argue he is helping the sammy dodge by pot-shoots at the security guard.

Also a little tactics can help alot. The sammy should be going first (either naturually by initiative or delay your actions)... You might not kill people but you certainly can hit (since they now have penalties) easier and likely finish off any of the sammies targets.

Work with the sammy and get him in the habit if any one survives his burts for him to go to the next guard ... and the secondaries finish off the wounded ones. Their dodge rolls will be less (wounded), and the secondary shooters can likely finish them off (or atleast add even more penalties to their tests).
kzt
The first thing is that it's actually hard to find things that actually stop bullets. On an average street the only things that stop pistol bullets are fire hydrants, telephone poles and engine blocks. Neither of these will provide full cover, as there is at least 6" under the car though which to shoot your legs and fire hydrants/telephone poles just are not very wide.

Hiding behind a car door or an interior wall just makes you feel safe.

I'd remove the modifier for shooting from behind cover, as it just doesn't make sense. The most accurate position I've ever shot from was the foxhole supported position, in which just your head is exposed. It sure isn't less accurate than shooting offhand, which doesn't get any minus in the rules and is really much harder to shoot from accurately.

Once you find good cover it's actually hard to really use it. Most people expose a lot more than they think. (They do things like allow their back leg to stick out from behind the box, or expose the entire side of their chest.) So it's a lot more likely to be -2 than -4 unless they are a SWAT team or trained troops.

Anyhow, assuming the PCs are not doing full up blatant assaults with Alphas, grenades and drones with LMGs the obvious first trick is to reduce the chance of the PCs getting shot. As they are trying to be low-profile, carrying devices that are legal seems like a good idea.

So consider flash packs. Have everyone toss one BEHIND them (outside of the cover) at the start of the shooting. Adding a -4 modifier to the enemies dice pool will certainly reduce the odds of the enemy getting a hit. And not getting shot is always a good thing.

Add a (restricted) thermal smoke grenade and they enemies are at -8 dice before the PCs cover. Which typically makes it possible for the team to do the "run like hell" maneuver with a limited chance of a getting hit. It also makes it more possible for people to sprint to a flanking position and live if they want to fight it out.

Now to wear the opponents down, have the mage (they do have a mage, right?) use mana attacks on them. I'd suggest ones that won't nuke the mage from drain on a mediocre drain roll. The visibility mods effect them also, but a force 5 stunbolt does a minimum of 6 stun unless they make the resistance roll. And most people have a lower willpower than they do body and armor. Two hits will drop most opponents. And at 1 drain the mage should be able to keep it up for a long time, if needed. (Remember to shoot your pistol in their general direction as you do this).
Dashifen
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
... Also, do not forget knockdown (Gel rounds reduce the target's body by 2 for knockdown tests and wound modifiers affect the agility test to get up).

Especially since the knockdown test could be ruled to move the out from behind their cover devil.gif
Ryu
1.) If everybody has cover, shootouts should take long. We speed up things by forbidding OT-discussions between the players during combat. Actually rolling the tests is not what takes the time.

2.) The right tactics can speed up things. Much.

---
Tactics. An average shooter with average attribute using outdated tech (no smartlink, no SM/AM-mode) SHOULD NOT DO SHOOTOUTS! His role should be finding a way out, or throw a grenade in the general direction of the enemy. Grenades are great indoors! If he does not want to use grenades, give him stick-and-shock ammo.

There is no KP-bonus for killing all guards. If there is combat at all, it should be running combat towards the target (around opposition) or the exit (again around opposition). Eleminating key enemies should fall to combat specialists (attribute 4+, skill 4+, smartlink).

If combat can´t be avoided: Anyone who cannot contribute to combat (method of choice) should work to improve the situation of the team. Create/destroy cover, do first aid, open doors, put out the lights etc. Combat will be over faster this way.
sunnyside
Oh for goodness sake kzt the cover rules don't need nerfing. Honestly they're pretty weak as it is in most situations. Just not the situation of low dice pools. And they aren't unrealistically high by any stretch.

Actually one thing I forgot to point out.

The game is called Shadowrun not shootout. I'm not sure if that's the origin of the name, but it is certainly a good piece of advice. Instead of getting tied down in a shoot out get some visibility mods on your side (shoot out the lights, throw up some smoke grenades, toss out some strobe lights or all of the above) and then run (+2 dodge for running and whatever you can get for full defense).

What I'm saying is that combat goes faster if the PCs simply evade it.
Method
QUOTE (kzt)
I'd remove the modifier for shooting from behind cover, as it just doesn't make sense. The most accurate position I've ever shot from was the foxhole supported position, in which just your head is exposed. It sure isn't less accurate than shooting offhand, which doesn't get any minus in the rules and is really much harder to shoot from accurately.

I think the -1 mod makes a lot of sense if you change it to "shooting from behind improvised cover". It really shouldn't apply to shooting from a fox hole, or a gun port on an APC or what have you, because those are designed to maximize coverage while still allowing freedom of action for the shooter.

But those situations are probably rare in most games, and they are very different than the standard "hunker down in the wheel well of a car and try to return fire without exposing yourself."

Thus I would certainly apply the -1 for using cars, lamp posts, fire hydrants, low walls, etc...
draglikepull
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)

That's an interesting idea and I'll run it by my players.

With a SA weapon he could at least fire twice in one round, and with BF and a couple of points or RC he could lay down some wide bursts making the defenders dodge pool 0 and increasing his chance to hit.

The point with SA is well taken (though it reduces your second shot to 2 dice if you're at 3 on the first one), but how would BF be useful to a player who's already only rolling 3 dice? Also, the player with the revolver was just an example. He's not the only player on the team having difficulty doing damage.

Another thing you can do is make shadowrun dice

We've already done this, and it does indeed speed things up somewhat.

Is the damage being calculated correctly? A Super Warhawk has a base DV of 6 and an AP of -2

The player didn't point out the AP modifier to me, and I didn't look it up myself. That should make a difference.

Now to wear the opponents down, have the mage (they do have a mage, right?) use mana attacks on them.

Yes, but the mage is based on illusion and manipulation spells, and I've been having some difficulty trying to get them to cast anything other than Influence or Mass Confusion.

Two other things:

1. With flanking, doesn't that also expose the PC to enemy gunfire?

2. Sometimes large combat simply can't be avoided. If, for example, the PC's target is being guarded, or if one of the enemies has something the players need.
Method
QUOTE (draglikepull @ Jul 20 2007, 11:38 AM)

2. Sometimes large combat simply can't be avoided.  If, for example, the PC's target is being guarded, or if one of the enemies has something the players need.

1.) Yes, an individual team member might be more exposed, but the point of small unit tactics is that you work as a team. You want one or two players laying down suppresive fire so the enemy is pinned down while a third moves to flank, thus minimizing the risk to that third player.

2.) I don't think avoiding combat altogether is what people are driving at. The point is that for most shadowrunning teams a pitched battle (i.e. all things being equal) with any substantial enemy = dead runners.

Shadowrunners stay alive by being fast, mobile and trixy. You need to think more in terms of assymetric warefare (insurgents vs. traditional military for example). Toe to toe most runner teams aren't going to win a gun fight with a determined enemy that likely out numbers them by a large margin and usually has far greater resources. An individual security guard (for example) would not be necessarily be trained to neutralize your team alone, but you can bet your bottom nuyen.gif that he is trained to try and keep you in one place until more help arrives. Your shadowrunners need to find ways to upset the balance.

Your players are thinking in terms of two battleships pounding it out with one another and we're saying they should be thinking battleship vs submarine...

[Edit for clarity and spelling]
kzt
QUOTE (draglikepull)

2. Sometimes large combat simply can't be avoided. If, for example, the PC's target is being guarded, or if one of the enemies has something the players need.

1. Sure, but if they are busy shooting at the other PCs the flanker can shoot them in the back. They can't be looking in every direction at once, and unless they are a trained team they won't have a rear cover guy who job it is to keep people from sneaking up on them.

This actually works better in real life than it does in SR, because it's converting a medium range shootout with everyone behind hard cover (and it's hard to shoot a 10 inch square target at 15 meters) to close range one-sided shootout. And you can shoot really fast at someone 10 feet away who isn't aware you are there and has no cover from you and get good hits. Of course, if they spot you trying this they tend to turn you into swiss cheese, so don't mess it up.

But in SR get someone with multiple IPs, an SA weapon and decent infiltration and gun skills. If you've ever been in a club with strobes and fog you get some idea of how hard it is going to be to see anyone sneaking around when they are focused on the guys shooting them.

2. Fair fights are for suckers. If you can't rig the fight, don't do it. Surprise attacks work really good. Also consider area effect spells, large amounts of explosives, etc.
DTFarstar
You wouldn't believe how fast the opposition has to scramble when a Force 3 Lightning Ball cast by a decent mage (Spellcasting pool of 9+) and a Frag Grenade shred their cover and show them that they need to protect themselves from more than just bullets coming at their front.

Lightning Ball Formulae - 2000 nuyen.gif
Ares Antioch-2 w/ Airburst Link - 1100 nuyen.gif
Fragmentation Grenade - 35 nuyen.gif
Turning a 2 hour whiff fest into 5 minutes of flying chunks and scorched flesh - Priceless

There are some things nuyen.gif can buy, for everything else there is Tactics.
sunnyside
Actually I somewhat caution you against the "big explosions" gameplay style. I could get into the song and dance but that takes a while. And slightly heavier weapons in some circumstances could be good.

Still there are subtle ways of getting close. Smoke grenades are fun. Mass confusion should actually work fairly well. And an advantage to that is how the opposition treats you. When you kill NPC the shouldn't always just die and vanish like in a video game. They've got spouses and kids and stuff. And sometimes the bereved is in a position to make life hard for your runners. Remember it's hard to stay totally hidden in SR. A lot of how runners survive is that it isn't in anyones interest to expend the resources to go after them.

Also throwing up barrier spells can make for very interesting combat.

Now granted some of this might not neccesarily speed up your combat, but it should make the time feel like it's going faster because it's more fun than just shooting over and over.

DTFarstar
Contrary to how it may seem, I actually agree with Sunnyside. The big explosion type gameplay is usually a bad idea, however some additional tech aids(Smartlinks and whatnot) and some decent small unit tactics, the only reason you should ever get pinned down to a 2 hours battle is if you don't give them room to maneuver.
kzt
Dead bodies draw investigation by people with forensic labs, etc. That's one reason we liked knockout gas, stunballs and tasers.

The target might not want to discuss what was going on in their lab; much less who stole it, but after the fire department, the swat team, the crime scene guys, the TV News crews, the medical examiner and corporate Risk Management people show up they are not going to be able to sweep it all under the rug.

A team of police detectives, with high logic and investigation skills using teamwork with the crime scene guys are likely a lot better at finding clues as to who did this than the runners are at not being found. If they never get called, the runners don't have to find out.
Particle_Beam
Then again, violence in SR in the year 2070+++ have reached such a high level that most don't even care anymore for the low-level shoot-outs between whatever police forces, gangs and other criminal elements there are.

And the police will only keep harrassing and hunting you and searching for clues about your whereabout as long as there isn't a newer and more urgent case to solve.

Crime rate in the 70s of the 21st century have increased dramastically, and sometimes, it involves SINless street scum. Why even waste valuable ressources for a gun-fight between some criminal punks who shot themselves dead?
Solomon Greene
I want to state, before I get into this, that I run cinematic-flavored games, which do not work for everyone, so take from this what you will.

Combat in my games is more narrative, less rules. If you're being bored by long, endless combat, consider spicing it up a bit. Don't just let your players roll to hit, apply damage, and repeat. Use descriptions, use actions, use drama!

Cover doesn't always cover everything. There's always things on the wall to shoot at rather than people. Lights can be shattered, fire extinguishers can be popped, windows can be broken. Furniture can be thrown, things can be set on fire - open up the possibilities to your players and yourself.

Instead of "I shoot at him, I roll... I hit. That's... DV6, he's got armor, so, two points of damage..." go for "I roll to my left, raising my Salavette Guardian level with the guard. I squeeze the trigger, breathing, as the gun bucks. As I roll back to cover, I scream to Larry, "GET DOWN! TAKE RAS AND MOVE!!"

The boredom in combat often has to do with the feeling that players cannot influence the outcome - they're just tossing numbers back and forth. Make it vibrant, make it alive, allow your players some freedom to use the game for them and it will get better.
Fortune
Also keep in mind that people (PCs excluded) usually pause, and often stop fighting altogether when they take a wound. Not everyone is the hard-core, gung-ho, do-or-die, kill-or-be-killed, never-surrender type. Most just want to go home to their wife and kids and soy-apple pie. If Yuri from Security has just taken (or even just nearly taken) a wound or two, he just might think again before popping his head around the corner to take another shot at the runners.

NPCs are people too! smile.gif
Particle_Beam
QUOTE (Fortune)

No, they are mindless, soulless, and emotionless drones controlled by the evil, despictable and cruel entity called the GM. They fight till they die, and some even beyond that. nyahnyah.gif
Kyoto Kid
...c'mon, Leela's not mindless, a bit annoying at times I will admit, but not a mindless drone fueled by cruel and evil intents.

...Uh, Leela, why are you looking at the PCs like that...?
odinson
QUOTE (Fortune)
Also keep in mind that people (PCs excluded) usually pause, and often stop fighting altogether when they take a wound. Not everyone is the hard-core, gung-ho, do-or-die, kill-or-be-killed, never-surrender type. Most just want to go home to their wife and kids and soy-apple pie. If Yuri from Security has just taken (or even just nearly taken) a wound or two, he just might think again before popping his head around the corner to take another shot at the runners.

But there is also the pc's actions to consider. The gm will have just as much trouble keeping out of game knowledge from in game knowledge. The gm will know that the pc's are heartless bastards who will make sure they kill anyone who surrenders, or shoot anyone in the back who tries to leave and the npc's will fight to the death because of this. The NPC's may have no knowledge that these PC's are the murderous type but the gm does and he is the NPC's.

If the PC's are the type to get into a long drawn out gun battle and not try and throw down cover fire and gas to run, or try to stealthily evade combat then they are probably not the type of PC's that are going to let the combat end in less than an everyone on one team is dead fashion.

NPC's are the gm's tools and the gm is people too.
Ravor
No, that's just what we want you to think. alien.gif
laughingowl
QUOTE (odinson)
NPC's are the gm's tools and the gm is people too.

I'm not 'people' on an off day I am an omnipotent super being; remember I am not a god .. I am that which controls the gods! devil.gif devil.gif
sunnyside
On the off subjectish note it is true that NPCs don't tend to fight to the death.

Typically the rulebook actually covers this. In previous editions your professional rating was tied to the wound the char would be willing to take before retreating/laying on the ground crying. In this edition what we have is how much of the group has to go down before the rest will break.

I tend to use a mix of the two.

I don't generally have a problem with PCs in this regard as usually their choices are to push on or die/get captured. And if they have the option to retreat my people often do when they take enough damage. Remember buying back edge 5 costs 15karma. And that takes a while. (In previous editions they were worried about having to buy a new trauma patch and replacement organs and the lost karma was from having to have that char miss out on an adventure.)
draglikepull
I actually have NPCs run from fights more frequently than I have fights that go to the finish. Partly to speed things up, and partly because they don't all want to die. My PCs recently got into a bar fight (after critically glitching a charisma role against old foes of one character), but as soon as the PC's started shooting people, the NPCs ran for the hills. The problem is really limited to one or two fights per adventure, that basically end up being fights to the death because they're critically related to one of the PCs objectives.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012