Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [RL] RFID implants in humans
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Method
Link
Buster
The chip in my hand is blinking red, is that bad?
hobgoblin
only if you have been doing bad things. report to nearest police drone as soon as possible.

joke aside. i kinda want to brush the "rfid as tracking device" idea aside. but i guess that as things improve it may not be as far fetched as it is today.

all in all, rfid is just another tech. its how we use them that will really tell us something.

now, i would love to have a near field "key" in my hand or similar (i read about someone that put a rfid in his hand and the reader close to his apartment door so that he only had to grasp the knob to unlock it), but i would love being able to turn it of when i dont need it. kinda like putting my keys in my pocket when i dont need to unlock something...
James McMurray
This isn't the first time it's happened. The first time I recall was seven or eight years ago when a guy implanted a chip into his arm so he could activate appliances with a hand wave.

Sounds good to me. And they've even already got hackers out there spoofing these things (or at least they've given it the name, the article didn't say whether it had already happened).
Rotbart van Dainig
RFID Swipe/Proximity Cards are widely used for access control... and those systems have been compromized each time.

The problem is that a microprocessor like used in smart cards uses too much power, so those swipe cards can't implement effective certificate schemes.
Method
Deleted.
eidolon
Threads merged.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Jul 24 2007, 04:27 PM)
RFID Swipe/Proximity Cards are widely used for access control... and those systems have been compromized each time.

The problem is that a microprocessor like used in smart cards uses too much power, so those swipe cards can't implement effective certificate schemes.

hmm, true that. the person i talked about above that had a rfid in his palm, also got a more secure one in the other palm.

that one needed a internal battery, but was able to perform a challenge-response kind of thing. another issue was that it took noticeably longer for the chip to work as it was not just swipe-read-click so to speak.

edit:

http://amal.net/

this appears to be the man, but i know he had his story up on some page. maybe its linked from there, i didnt really look, yet...

edit2:

ah, the article i was thinking about:
http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/mar07/4940
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012