Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Astral Combat question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Marwynn
This came up recently and frankly none in my group is experienced enough to know this off the bat.

Question: Do you need to be Astrally Perceiving or Projecting to be damaged at all by Spirits or Magicians (and Adepts) whether through spells or Astral Combat attacks?

There was a small blurb in the book about not being able to attack just auras of people, but we felt it best to ask.

Ol' Scratch
Anything that makes you astrally active is sufficient to make you a target. Astral perception being active, astral projection, and being dual-natured all make you open season.
Jaid
to add in just for completeness, in order to attack or be attacked by someone who is on a given plane (astral or physical), you must be on the same plane (regardless of the form of the attack, be it spell or combat)

astral projection has your astral form in the astral plane, while your body remains physical.

astral perception makes you dual natured. you are present on both planes, in the same location.

and of course, if you are neither projecting or perceiving in the astral, you are not in the astral and cannot be attacked.

the only exception is inhabitation/possession power that i know of, which can go from astral to physical.
sunnyside
Some spirits can also force you to become astrally active. Though creative reading can indicate that people can still choose to not be astrally active. It's in street magic.

Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Jaid)
the only exception is inhabitation/possession power that i know of, which can go from astral to physical.

No, just a minor shift from being astral to dual-natured (no more odd than a mage using astral perception or a materialized spirit). You're living in both worlds while possessed and vulnerable on both planes.
Marwynn
Thanks guys!

A few of the guys, myself included, were slightly worried about getting snapped up by spirits and such. As I said, our experience was quite limited and we're still trying out new things.

For all intents and purposes then, mundane characters are safe from Astral attacks (barring the Astrally hurling spirits of Street Magic) unless of course they dip into the Physical plane.

That's a load off!
Jaid
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
QUOTE (Jaid @ Jul 26 2007, 11:52 AM)

No, just a minor shift from being astral to dual-natured (no more odd than a mage using astral perception or a materialized spirit). You're living in both worlds while possessed and vulnerable on both planes.

to clarify, i meant that a purely astral form (a spirit on the astral plane) can affect someone who is purely on the physical plane, through the use of the possession and inhabitation powers (that is, they can possess or inhabit you from the astral even if you are not present on the astral)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012