Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Raptor Legs & Skates
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tarantula
Both the legs and skates say that they increase movement rate by 1.5 (round down). They also say they are compatible with each other. Does that mean that a human running (25m/s) would get 25 * 1.5 (round down) * 1.5 (round down)? I.e. 25 * 1.5 = 37 * 1.5 = 55?
Ol' Scratch
Hmm. It's odd that they're compatible with one another (Raptor Legs specifically state that they accept any Cyberware Accessories, of which Cyberskates are). Logically, it would be 55 but most things of this nature in this game as far as I've noticed simply add modifiers together before applying them, meaning it would only be 50.

Which, as a side note, is a nice round number and easier to handle.
hobgoblin
well i guess raptor legs is the new name for kid stealth, and i also guess that they have better "kick" then a normal human leg. that in combo with rollerblades (basically what i think those skates are) should in theory give a bigger speed boost in combo imo. but its all pure theory from me.
JonathanC
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Hmm. It's odd that they're compatible with one another (Raptor Legs specifically state that they accept any Cyberware Accessories, of which Cyberskates are). Logically, it would be 55 but most things of this nature in this game as far as I've noticed simply add modifiers together before applying them, meaning it would only be 50.

Which, as a side note, is a nice round number and easier to handle.

Well, if you actually added the modifiers together you'd get 3 (1.5 + 1.5), which would give you 75, a round number that seems even more ridiculous. smile.gif
PlatonicPimp
Nein, dumkopf. The modifiers are .5+.5, for a total of 1x more than normal, or 200%. The modifier is the difference between the boosted amount and the regular amount.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
Nein, dumkopf.

Creepy.
Zen Shooter01
The way I handled it was that I added raptor legs to a character - running speed now 37.
Then I added skates to the legs. Running speed now 55.
This makes sense especially in light of the fact that skates are retractable, so you won't be using them all the time. Hence, they apply x1.5 to the running rate you had before you deployed the skates.
JonathanC
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
Nein, dumkopf. The modifiers are .5+.5, for a total of 1x more than normal, or 200%. The modifier is the difference between the boosted amount and the regular amount.

Hey, I was working with the numbers posted here. The book isn't out yet. cool.gif
Buster
Sure you could combine raptor legs with skates, but you'd be the laughing stock of the shadow community. All you'd need is little flapping wings on your ankles and big cartoon springs on your feet and your cyberdork would be complete. biggrin.gif
PlatonicPimp
if it's stupid but it works, it's not stupid.

Kyrn
And if it's speed you're after, remember that skimmer feet (if compatible with raptor legs) double your speed. So that would seem to be triple speed, though it may just be 2.5x. Still freaking fast. And less retro looking than skates. But I'm biased against rollerskates.
PlatonicPimp
Can't have skimmers and raptors at the same time.
Kyrn
Just noted that too actually. Raptor's a lower leg replacement, skimmers are foot replacements. But, like, totally thanks a lot for beating me to pointing out my own stupidity man. sarcastic.gif wink.gif

Oh, and while I'm rampantly dropping emoticons everywhere.

The trauma damper is back! love.gif
Wow, Augmentation's full of goodies for the cyber-mage crowd.
Trauma damper, daredrenaline, let drain be a thing of the past!

Edit: Curse my equally rampant stupidity! Actually, upon a second reading of daredrenaline I'm not so sure it would apply to drain tests. It notes applying to all Willpower tests and specifically includes spell resistance, but I'm loath to extend that including drain tests without further thought. Hmm...
Ol' Scratch
Eh?

Trauma Dampers in SR4 are nothing like they were in SR3. Or more correctly, Drain in SR4 works nothing like it did in SR3. There are no Light Drain spells to completely ignore, and you can't cast a Force 100D spell and walk away from it with only Serious Drain like you could in SR3.

All it basically does now is give you one bonus hit on your Drain Reistance Tests. Which is nice, but hardly the damn near "must-have" that the Trauma Damper was previously. And with an inability to ignore the Magic Loss with a geas, you have to choose between that minor ability or a point of Magic.
Kyoto Kid
...Skimmer Feet? Are these like the old Cyberskates or something entirely new?

Whatever they turn out to be, sounds like something Da Brat would get into, heck even KK might give up a PP for something that stylin'.
Ol' Scratch
Strap a skimmer drone to each foot and you pretty much have what they are.
PlatonicPimp
You replace your feet with hover-jets.
Kyoto Kid
...Ahh kinda like the hoverboard from Back to the Future II, I get it.
Kyrn
Eh?

Trauma Dampers in SR4 are nothing like they were in SR3. Or more correctly, Drain in SR4 works nothing like it did in SR3. There are no Light Drain spells to completely ignore, and you can't cast a Force 100D spell and walk away from it with only Serious Drain like you could in SR3.

All it basically does now is give you one bonus hit on your Drain Reistance Tests. Which is nice, but hardly the damn near "must-have" that the Trauma Damper was previously. And with an inability to ignore the Magic Loss with a geas, you have to choose between that minor ability or a point of Magic.

You're right, drain does work completely differently now. Thanks to variable force levels, any spell can have "Light Drain" that can be heavily offset with the trauma damper. Casting multiple low-force, low drain spells is highly effective. Hell, it'd further pave the way for industrialized magic.

I'd say gaining the ability for a guaranteed extra hit on every drain resistance test is well worth the loss of a [/I]fifth[I] of a magic point for characters already going the cyber route.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Kyrn @ Jul 27 2007, 03:22 PM)
I'd say gaining the ability for a guaranteed extra hit on every drain resistance test is well worth the loss of a [/I]fifth[I] of a magic point for characters already going the cyber route.

No such thing as a "fifth of a Magic point." If you're already investing in some implants, sure, it's a nice one to have; but not all mages go that route. On top of that, those 8 BPs (16 if alpha grade) it costs could have bought you two to five more spells, another two to four skill points, or lots of other things, too. All without impacting your Magic and lowering your overall efficiency. It's not a must-have by any stretch of the imagination, just a nice perk if you have the cash to blow and have already bought some implants.

In 3rd Edition, however, it was vastly more powerful. You could cast high Force spells with Light Drain all the live-long day with zero change for Drain. You can't do that at all with this one, not by a long shot.
Ravor
Sure, it won't help you if you go the "purity route", but I still say that any Mage who doesn't burn a point of Magic is just plain crazy, still I'd much rather have a Pain Editor then a Trama Damper anyday.
Kyrn
QUOTE (Kyrn @ Jul 27 2007, 03:22 PM)

No such thing as a "fifth of a Magic point." If you're already investing in some implants, sure, it's a nice one to have; but not all mages go that route. On top of that, those 8 BPs (16 if alpha grade) it costs could have bought you two to five more spells, another two to four skill points, or lots of other things, too. All without impacting your Magic and lowering your overall efficiency. It's not a must-have by any stretch of the imagination, just a nice perk if you have the cash to blow and have already bought some implants.

In 3rd Edition, however, it was vastly more powerful. You could cast high Force spells with Light Drain all the live-long day with zero change for Drain. You can't do that at all with this one, not by a long shot.

Which is pretty much exactly what I said with the last six words of the post you quoted. "for characters already going the cyber route" Sheesh.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Kyrn @ Jul 27 2007, 04:01 PM)
Which is pretty much exactly what I said with the last six words of the post you quoted.  "for characters already going the cyber route"  Sheesh.

It's still not a "fifth of a Magic point." "Sheesh." It's a fifth of an Essence point, assuming you don't have more Cyberware than Bioware, in which case it's less. And it's still 40,000¥-80,000¥, a point you completely ignored, which is equal to 8-16 Build Points which can be used on tons of other things that grant an equal or superior advantage for an implant that provides a bonus that pales compared to the must-have bonuses it used to provide for magicians.

Translation: It's a nice perk to have, but there other and better things to do with the same amount of resources. With or without other implants in the picture.
Kyrn
Okay. A fifth of an essence point is directly enough analogous to a fifth of a magic point as to make no difference, especially when discussing a cybered mage, as per my initial post. Further, why the hell would somebody waste 40k knocking 0.04 off the essence cost by going alpha with it?
And yes, mages do have plenty of other resources available, this is another such resource, ergo I am happy to have it. Now stop pretending like I ever stated this is the greatest thing since sliced bread and let me get back to ooooing and ahhhing over all the tasty goodies in Augmentation instead of studying.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012