Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New GM needs help with questions!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Mr.Jibaku
Hey guys, I am a new GM and well we are going into our second game. We are really getting into it. However if I don't beef up on the Wireless World section of the game I feel like I will be ripping off my Hackers and Technomancers.

The questions I have are probably easy but I haven't found any answers by searching or reading the errata. Page 221 SR4 talks about Hacking On the Fly. That's where the trouble starts.

It says that hacking uses Hacking + Exploit (Difficulty targets Firewall) Extended test. First question if this isn't in combat is it safe to say that the combat timing still applies meaning it takes roughly about 3 seconds each try?

Next it says on these attempts the device gets a free Analyze + Firewall (Stealth) Extended test.. Vs what? The roll made by the previous hacking attempt? I know they take time, but could someone give me a example using numbers? Lastly is that Stealth added or multiplied to the pool, I don't get it.

If it beats that roll what happens, the stuff on page 222?

Thanks so much guys, I am new and I really want to give my group fair but challenging rolls so RP chances will pop up.

Jibaku
Aaron
There's an audio demo that describes a hacker breaking into an office node and taking over its functions. See if that helps.
James McMurray
It says that hacking uses Hacking + Exploit (Difficulty targets Firewall) Extended test.  First question if this isn't in combat is it safe to say that the combat timing still applies meaning it takes roughly about 3 seconds each try?

It takes one initiative pass, so if they have 3 IPs they get 3 attempts per 3 seconds. If they're straight meat in AR with 1 IP they only get one try per 3 seconds.

Next it says on these attempts the device gets a free Analyze + Firewall (Stealth) Extended test.. Vs what?  The roll made by the previous hacking attempt?  I know they take time, but could someone give me a example using numbers?  Lastly is that Stealth added or multiplied to the pool, I don't get it.

Tests are laid out as <pool> (difficulty). For spotting a hacker the pool is Analyze + Firewall and the target number is the hacker's Stealth rating.

If it beats that roll what happens, the stuff on page 222?

Yep. The system goes on alert, and the response is up to the GM.
Thanks so much guys, I am new and I really want to give my group fair but challenging rolls so RP chances will pop up.

Welcome to the game! smile.gif
knasser

Hi. Welcome to the game.

I don't have much to add to what others have said regarding your specific questions, but if you want some examples of Matrix sites and what to roll, have a look at the site in my sig (first one). I have a Shadowrun section that has Example Matrix Sites and an introductory adventure (called Cold Blood) which takes you through some of the things you need to roll to do various things, like hack a maglock or take over a drone. You'll have to scoll down a bit to find them, but they might be of use (along with anything else on there).
Mr.Jibaku
Thank you all for the quick responses! Our games are on Mondays and I always like to make sure I am ready. We are playing the missions on the Shadowrun website sorta to get us all in the mindset, then we are going to think up our own. I will check out the websites and I really thank you guys.

Jibaku
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012