Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: House Rule: Melee Damage Stats
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ol' Scratch
I've slowly been absorbing all the new 4th Edition rules over the last few weeks and am compiling a (surprisingly small) list of house rules that I intend to use when I start GMing again. That said, there's one in particular I'd like to hear opinions on from everyone else, particularly if it'll affect anything more than what I've already looked into.

The house rule basially works as follows:
    House Rule: Melee Damage Stats
    All melee weapons with a variable Damage Value has "Str/2" replaced with "5" and AP increased by +2. Thus your average unarmed attack will do 5(S) damage with a +2 AP modifier, a combat axe will do 9(P) damage with a +1 AP modifier, and a monofilament whip will do 8(P) damage with a -2 AP modifier.

Divide Strength by one-third and round down. This is then applied as a negative value to the AP rating of a melee weapon, improving the penetrating power and thus increasing damage indirectly. Thus a Human with Strength 4 will add a -1 AP modifier to their melee weapon while a Troll with Strength 14 will add a -4 modifier.

Personal Note: Consider changing the Strength-to-AP modifier from 1/3 to 1/2 and increasing the base AP modifier to +3 instead.
Reason for the rule: I didn't much care for the fact that average runners didn't stand much of a chance of doing any damage in melee combat, especially against someone wearing even casual body armor, nor did I care for Stun Gloves and Monofilament Whips dominating melee character arsenals. I also never cared much for the fact that in most games, Strength affects the damage directly rather than improving how penetrating an attack is.

I'm hoping this change will improve things quite a bit all around, making melee combat a little more balanced while still giving strong characters a significant advantage.

All that said, does anyone see anything problematic with this house rule? Maybe other rules I've missed or applications that won't make very much sense?

Thanks in advance.
Fortune
On first glance I don't really see any problems with it ... other than actually going through all the weapons and statting them out, that is. I rather like the rule for basically the reasons you stated, to bring back the flavor of melee by bringing all the non-fixed weapons in line with the few that are fixed, damage-wise.
Dancer
Seems to make Strength almost irrelevant in how much damage you do. Being punched by a Strength 11 cybertroll only does an average of 1 more point of damage than being punched by a Strength 2 elven hacker.
Fortune
QUOTE (Dancer)
Seems to make Strength almost irrelevant in how much damage you do. Being punched by a Strength 11 cybertroll only does an average of 1 more point of damage than being punched by a Strength 2 elven hacker.

Wouldn't it technically be no extra damage but 2 better AP for the troll?
Fortune
You would probably need to add in a fixed bonus for things like Bone Lacing and Dermal Plating, etc, as well.
Dancer
QUOTE (Fortune)
Wouldn't it technically be no extra damage but 2 better AP for the troll?

3 extra AP, which on average means a single extra box of damage post-soak.
Fortune
QUOTE (Dancer)
3 extra AP, which on average means a single extra box of damage post-soak.

Ah yes ... I forgot to round down the elf's AP as well. D'oh! embarrassed.gif
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Dancer)

To be fair, the rather weak cybertroll in your example will be knocking his opponents down left and right and will (should) be penetrating armor and barriers a lot easier than the elf would.

But the end damage you mentioned is one of the reasons I was considering changing it to Strength/2 instead of Strength/3. Or even just using straight-up Strength, and increasing the default AP modifier to +5 or +6 (going on the assumption that I wanted a Strength 6 as the baseline). I'm still in the process of finding the sweet-spot rules wise while maintaining my main intention: To make all melee weapons more desireable and make it so that you don't have to have Strength 10 or so just to stand a chance in melee.
Dancer
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
To be fair, the rather weak cybertroll in your example will be knocking his opponents down left and right and will (should) be penetrating armor and barriers a lot easier than the elf would.

Weak? That's as strong as you can get in chargen without maxing out an attribute for 25pts.

Even if you make it 1AP per point of strength, Strength still only increases net damage as the same rate as Agility (3 points = 1 box damage).

If your problem is just that damage values are too low, I might suggest that you replace (STR/2) in the damage values with straight (Strength). This helps strength be pretty useful in a brawl, as opposed to the fairly gimp stat it is at the moment. Yes the above troll can do 15P with a combat axe, but that's not much worse than he can do with a bow using core rules.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Dancer)
Weak? That's as strong as you can get in chargen without maxing out an attribute for 25pts.

For a cyber troll? Yes, it's weak.

Even if you make it 1AP per point of strength, Strength still only increases net damage as the same rate as Agility (3 points = 1 box damage).

What's wrong with that?

If your problem is just that damage values are too low, I might suggest that you replace (STR/2) in the damage values with straight (Strength). This helps strength be pretty useful in a brawl, as opposed to the fairly gimp stat it is at the moment. Yes the above troll can do 15P with a combat axe, but that's not much worse than he can do with a bow using core rules.

Bows and other weapons/attacks using (STR/2) would be modified by the same house rule, whatever I decide on.
Dancer
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
What's wrong with that?

Strength already does very little. With your proposed house rule it's not even useful for hitting people.
Ol' Scratch
Ah, I played out a few scenarios with all three variations of the house rule and now I see what you're saying. It does need a little more work, though I'm still partial to the main goal of it.

I think it would work nicely if Armor had more impact on how damage was resolved. That seems to be what's thwarting it.
Narmio
Hmm, Dr Funk, I agree that something could be done to make Melee a bit harder hitting, but I don't think reducing the effect of strength is a good plan. The house rule I've been considering for a while is to replace all instances of "Str/2" with "Str - 2, min 1".

Oh, and this:
I think it would work nicely if Armor had more impact on how damage was resolved. That seems to be what's thwarting it.

makes no sense to me whatsoever. Armour is THE biggest factor in how damage is resolved for the majority of shadowrunners (those with Body < 8 ). What more do you want?
Ol' Scratch
Hmm? Armor just adds extra dice to the Damage Resistance Test as opposed to doing anything concrete. That's why this house rule is having so little impact, because all the AP change is doing is lowering how many extra dice you get on the DRT. Lower armor by three points and you get an average of only one DV less due to those dice.
Ddays
The biggest problem I have with strength is that it's completely useless for non melee characters.

That's why I'm implementing carrying capacity in my game. Far from being a useless bookkeeping as the core rule book describes, having a limit to the amount of guns, ammo, and gear a 1 strength rigger can have on his body (not to mention crucial loot) makes 3 strength the must have in my games.
Ravor
Completely off the top of my head and I won't even pretend that it's remotely balanced, but if you want armor to do something why not have armor count as auto-hits against damage?

You'd have to rewrite the DV and Armor Values to keep from breaking everything of course...

Dancer
Didn't previous editions also have high strength providing some recoil compensation?
Ol' Scratch
Sure did. It's another house rule I'm considering, but there's already enough options to get recoil compensation up to 9 or so just in the main sourcebook (and doubtlessly even more in Arsenal). Such a rule would just make it even easier, but it's still something to consider.

And armor does sort of work like "auto-hits" against damage, just at a 1/3rd ratio. Which, again, is why the AP change I'm considering isn't working out too well. The problem with changing it to a 1:1 ratio instead of adding dice is that it'll muck up ranged combat, and I don't really want to completely rewrite the rules. smile.gif
Ravor
Ok, if 1/1 hits is too powerful, what happens if you change it to a 1/2 instead?
Ol' Scratch
I'd have to cook up some examples, but I don't see it as being much of a fix over the effectively 1/3 now. It might though, will give it a shot in a bit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012