Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2063 Billboard Top 100...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Req
So I've got a long ol' list of band and album names that I've come up with so I'm ready when my players ask what's on the radio. And I'm always looking for more. What are you listening to?

Top 10 on the billboard this week:
1. Thag and the Spike Babies, C'mere, Breeder!
2. Toby the Hammer, Solo
3. Push Down And Turn, Childproof
4. The Strangely Angular Homeboys, Brain Box Blues
5. Genesys, Making a New World (One Crime at a Time)
6. Rickenharp, Rickenharp
7. TMF, No Sleep 'Till Aztlan
8. Big Russia Style, Ivan Hates You Too
9. Darwin's Dog, Dead (Again) And Loving It
10. Tsam Tsam Tsuki, ancientones
Kagetenshi
I have little doubt that there will still be Tupac albums coming out every few years in 2063.

~J
sidekick
For your listening pleasure chummer:

MTV-Rolling Stone-Billboard's Top Ten of the Week
1. Lorelei Angel - My Shinning Hour
2. Horns of Plenty - Break Her In
3. Tommy Chong and the Blurs - Razor Grrl
4. Nikki Nuyen - Lonely Heart in Chiba
5. Blunt Trauma - Empty the Brain Pan (Redmond Remix)
6. The Huge U.G.E. feat. Tusk Jay - All my Trogs in the House
7. Lo Rez - \\UCAS\RTG-23890 (1101101)
8. se7en K - Poli boy
9. DJ Street Sweeper - Geekin the D (Ragnorak Remix)
10. Athena Jackson - Long Time Gone (Renraku Arcrology Tribue)
nezumi
I just have to ask.. with that first one, did you mean 'Shinning' or 'Shining'? Because one is making light and the other one is hitting your leg on something. Normally I'd assume you meant Shining, but shinning is much funnier. (I especially like number 7... I'd love to hear someone rap out 'one zero zero one one...')
Kagetenshi
I have my next wacky character idea.

An Otaku rocker, using the rules in Shadowbeat.

~J
Req
If you name him Johnny Silverhand, I will personally have him killed. Even if I'm not in the game.

Jeezus, I hate that dude.
Kagetenshi
Good news! I've never heard of him.

~J
sidekick
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Nov 14 2003, 04:51 PM)
Good news! I've never heard of him.

~J

Some body is obviously not up to snuff on their CP2020 history.
Req
With his breakthrough hit "Chippin' In" and his second album "A Cool Metal Fire," Johnny Silverhand exemplifies all that's wrong with CP202x music. Stupid little bastard.

Got the metal beneath my skin / I'm chippin' in

Riight. Listened to any real music lately, R. Talsorian? Sheesh.
Adam
Given that CP2013/CP2020 was a child of the 80s... that /was/ real music. wink.gif
FlakJacket
Or who could forget the fabulous DJ Vinyl Wang. smile.gif
Req
Oh, right. He worked with DJ Shokk Riot, I remember.
Adarael
From Mr. Atkinson's CD collection:

Enoch Ian Keys - The Seal
Blunt Force Trauma - Die By Wire
Semotic Shift - Agenda Suicide
Entropy 5 - Coiling Serpents
Defused - Aoi Inori
Your Bent Reflection - Marley's Ghost

And though I wish I could have it ICly, the GM would never let me get away with having
Colostomy Explosion - We Are Made of Meat.

"Would ya like some TOAST!?!?"
Adarael
And Reg?

Hooray for Tom Waits. Savior of all that is American Gothic.
Req
QUOTE (Adarael)
And Reg?

Hooray for Tom Waits. Savior of all that is American Gothic.

Damn straight.

And BTW, it's Req. Rhymes with wreck. It's tough to tell in this font, though. frown.gif
Kagetenshi
Pretty easy to tell. Anyway, I've played CP2020 once, and never actually read a CP2020 rulebook, so no, I'm not up on the history smile.gif

~J

edit: apparently when I'm tired anyone=anyway.
FlakJacket
SotA Had a list of the top ten albums of the year I think it was, IIRC.
Req
Yeah, I know - but the ones outta the twisted minds of this forum's denizens ought to be a lot cooler. smile.gif
Plastic Rat
Darwin's Bastards - Breeder blues. (still hanging in there despite itself)
Trog - Bite me!
Maria Mercurial - Cute
Concrete Dreams - Look this way!
Chromer - Stupid fraggin' trog.
Darwin's Bastards - Do we not bleed? (a classic)
Amerind - Sioux Shock.
Concrete Dreams - Tribute to to the city.
Maria Mercurial - We can make this work.
Chromer - Better than beetles.

(Guess who loves Shadowbeat smile.gif )
annachie
Hey Req, you forgot the live album from the Rolling Stones World tour of 2062, and the latest techno re-mix of a previously unreleased Elvis clasic
Digital Heroin
Guy in one of the campaigns I ran had a 1 intelligence troll who called himself metroll, his street name on sheet was 'hey you with the big gun' always carried a panther around, no matter what the situation...

Part way through the campaign, metroll decided he was a rockstar, and somehow got a band together (low on brains, high on charisma)... I still refer to them in games to this day...
Kagetenshi
"Weird Al" Yankovic (parodying Amerind)- Sioux Chef

~J
Sunday_Gamer
Yet another silly anecdote from me. Just because it's on topic for bands and music.

We had a Dwarven Japanese mage once, who was an Elvis impersonator, that is to say, he dressed like Elvis and his name was "Elvis" Takamura. His music skill was 2 or something completely awful as was his English.

So this one time, we're tracking down this psycho who's trying real hard to smoke Maria Mercurial, we know he's gonna kill her as soon as she takes the stage so in an effort to stall, the mage uses a few spells to gain backstage access and gets on the stage before Mercurial. Needless to say, he sucked extremely in front of dozens of thousands of people but it DID buy us the time we needed to nail this guy before he could kill anyone (else).

However, for the next 3 years, if the chance came up, Elvis was sure to mention how he opened for Maria Mercurial. We were sure he was gonna get linched when he broke into his rendition of "Brue Suede Choos".

Sunday
Req
That totally rules.

All we had was a certain psycho street sammie with a tattooed, bald, blue head, who couldn't get over that he used to play in this certain band. Every meeting with Mr Johnson, he'd ask "Oh, you never heard of the Shank Kings? We fraggin' RULED!" and start into one of their songs.

Velocity
On the topic of music, lemme knock this topic (slightly) off-course and ask: what kind of music do you think is being played in Seattle (or wherever) in 2060?

Do you think it would be unrecognizable noise to us? If a time traveller from 1943 heard today's music, some would be easily understood and digested--most "easy listening," crooning ballads, contemporary blues, etc.--while many genres wouldn't even be understood as music qua music.

Given that Shadowrun (and cyberpunk in general) is very much a child of the 80s, and RPGs are still generally written by white dudes and marketed to white dudes, it's not surprising that industrial music is de rigeur in the Sixth World. Realistically though, by the time the Shadowrun universe comes about, the industrial "movement" and the artists involved would probably be--at best--footnotes in music history. Except Gran'pa Jorgunsen. And Buck Satan. Don't fuck with Buck.

Anyway, I'm curious... what do you imagine coming out of club speakers in 2063? What's pop? Is "rock" still a relevant form? How has hiphop continued to mutate? What kind of instruments are people playing?
nezumi
In 50 years, most of the music you hear now I suspect will still be played. You'll probably hear less of what we consider oldies, but the Beatles are classic, and classical music will never die out. Our new music will probably still be played, but I'd guess you'll hear more of our rock than anything (industrial doesn't generally appeal to the over sixty crowd, even if they used to listen to it when they were young). I suspect that country won't change either.

In regards to what WILL change... I doubt you'll have many new instruments like what you're thinking of. There'll be plenty more of the electronic effects, however I doubt the guitar will really go out of style. Industrial will find some new, disharmonous way of playing music that annoys old people, rock will change in tempos and keys, ska will continue to mix whats new with its own reggae heritage. I imagine that if you were to hear the music, you probably wouldn't like it as much as you like our music, but you wouldn't find it either unrecognizable as music, nor awful.
annachie
QUOTE (Velocity)
Anyway, I'm curious... what do you imagine coming out of club speakers in 2063? What's pop? Is "rock" still a relevant form? How has hiphop continued to mutate? What kind of instruments are people playing?

With my luck it would be a bloody ABBA revival smile.gif
Kagetenshi
Rock may or may not be a relevant form, but it'll probably still be considered one.

~J
Adarael
Given that Shadowrun (and cyberpunk in general) is very much a child of the 80s, and RPGs are still generally written by white dudes and marketed to white dudes, it's not surprising that industrial music is de rigeur in the Sixth World. Realistically though, by the time the Shadowrun universe comes about, the industrial "movement" and the artists involved would probably be--at best--footnotes in music history. Except Gran'pa Jorgunsen. And Buck Satan. Don't fuck with Buck.

Well, I don't know about the Sixth World at large, but Industrial tends to be prominent in my games because A) I'm a big rivethead, and B) a lot of it tends to be good background music for games. I don't say this to cheapen your point, I just feel it neccessary to throw out there that it's why *I* use it, and therefore shouldn't be taken as gospel.

I've done a lot of thinking about music trends in the Sixth World lately, and I've come up with a few things. It's next to impossible to kill a musical style once it exists, especially in such a subcultural, information based culture. Ergo, I find it easy to believe that all the classic stuff we know and love (of all kinds) is alive and well in Shadowrun - just among very small, specialized subcultures. Like the neo-flapper types you see occasionally today. Or the james-dean looking folks in Harajuku.

That being said, allow me to examine what *I* use for individual musical styles and then musical trends in general:

Rock: Rock keeps mutating just as it does now, with way too many styles to really count. However, musicians in my Shadowrun games *tend* to follow two main bents: minimalist, fuzzed out electrotrash with two, maybe three members (see: Lo/Rez from Idoru and The Faint) and the whole multiple guitars, drummers, bassists, etc thing - very jam band gone wrong, grown up in the barrens (implied how Shield Wall and Concrete Dreams sorta are).

Industrial: Following the growing gap between what industrial WAS and what it's becoming (Re: EBM), things just kept drifting apart. We're left in 2060 with class A) distortion, feedback, sampling, etc that's harmonically engineered but otherwise generally dissonant (See: Gridlock, Tarmvred, Alien Faktor for current-day examples), and B) angry dance music which comes in a variety of shapes and sizes, but is generally marked by a darker and more 'high speed' bent than general club music (See: VNV Nation, X Marks the Pedwalk, Funker Vogt, et al).

Techno: I haven't thought about techno other than it's peripheral genres, so I'm not saying anything.

The Others and General Music Trends: One of the things I figure I can bank on with shadowrun that no musical genre escapes is radical nationalization; a lot of musical styles are likely created overnight by someone with some kind of 'ethnic' music fusing it with something existing. For example: turkish electrotrash, yes? Sort of like wierd persian arrangement, but with the electrotrash sensibility. See Amon Tobin's "Proper Hoodage" for a reference to that kind of stuff. I've also found it's useful to describe what makes a particular bit unique, when GMing. For example, there was this all-decker carribean league Dub band people were dealing with at one point, and it was described as sounding like they were playing dub but only on glass instruments, underwater inside a reverberation bubble. Kinda like Children of the Bong gone strange and matrixy.

Just my two yen.
Velocity
Adarael wrote:
Well, I don't know about the Sixth World at large, but Industrial tends to be prominent in my games because A) I'm a big rivethead, and B) a lot of it tends to be good background music for games. I don't say this to cheapen your point, I just feel it neccessary to throw out there that it's why *I* use it, and therefore shouldn't be taken as gospel.

No offense taken and furthermore I'd tend to agree that industrial music, with its long, repetitive instrumental breaks is well-suited to being background music to a gaming session (regardless of the game's genre). My group uses a lot of techno-(insert suffix here) for the same reason.

Heck, a couple of weeks ago the Run Lola Run soundtrack was played (repeatedly) during a session of our Fantasy HERO campaign. Some might find this kind of highly processed--even antiseptic--electronica unsuitable for a fantasy game, but we felt it perfectly captured the mood of our frenzied escape from a ravenous pack of hellhounds. Sunday_Gamer and Nova can back me up on this wink.gif

Adarael wrote:
It's next to impossible to kill a musical style once it exists, especially in such a subcultural, information based culture
<snip>
For example: turkish electrotrash, yes? Sort of like wierd persian arrangement, but with the electrotrash sensibility.

Excellent point and well put; I don't see any reason for the contemporary confluence of genres, styles and instrumentations to stop or even slow down. However, "killing" a style is relative: many have argued that the mainstream co-opting of subcultural indices is tantamount to "killing" any kind of authenticity the original form possessed.

This brings me back to part of my original question: what about pop? And where does hiphop fit in? Given its current domination of the pop-cultural landscape(*), why is it totally ignored in Shadowrun?

(This is a rhetorical question, of course--the literary genre of cyberpunk was born conjoined to its stronger sibling: techno/industrial/"electronic" music. Plus, there's the whole assortment of racial & sexual priorities coded into the white guy's hobby of gaming...)

Anyway, is "pop music" in 2060 a slice & dice grab-bag of cultural, ethnic and stylistic influences with little rhyme and no reason? Not that that'd be a bad thing, mind you; I'm just curious as to what people think.

Adarael wrote:
See Amon Tobin's "Proper Hoodage" for a reference to that kind of stuff.

Nice.

(*) "Pop is hiphop." -- Justin Timberlake, Michael Jackson's heir-apparent, in interview.
Spookymonster
I was toying around with an idea for a SOTA:2064 article about recent trends in music. In particular, the idea of music that could only be appreciated by cybernetically-enhanced hearing. The name for this new genre was Trans, a play on words meant to represent both it's Trance-Electronica roots and the trans-human nature of cyberware. There are 2 separate styles of Trans; Sub-Dub (or SD) and Pico.

Sub-Dub is like Drum-and-Bass, only the rhythm tracks are all in the sub-sonic range. A non-cybered listener would feel the music, but only actually hear the occasional cymbal or high-top. Most un-enhanced 'listeners' find the vibrations at a SD performance uncomfortable to experience, especially the hardcore acts such as Chestburster and Breathless Nightmare.

Pico (also known as Drone to the un-enhanced) can be identified by its distinctive high-pitched whine. To the cybered ear, however, the whine is actually an intricate rhythm track, often consisting of 1/256th-, 1/512th-, and even 1/1024th-beat notes. Far too fast to dance to, the music is typically enjoyed by artsy crowds and music elitists while seated and enjoying the hyper-stimulant de jour. There have been recent (unsubstantiated) reports of un-cybered observers encountering epileptic fits during performances by ohbabycanyoudigmyvibenow and beatbeatbeat (Pico artists appear to have an unexplainable hatred of capital letters and spaces in band names). Given that both artists appear on the same label, this may be little more than a publicity gimic by an unimaginative PR rep.

A new sub-movement of Pico has recently appeared - Pico-Pop (affectionately referred to by its detractors as Pico-Poseur or, more colorfully, Pico-Piss). Pico-Pop attempts to mix Drone music with more mainstream (read: audible to the naked ear) tracks. This product is mainly aimed at younger, uncybered consumers. Pico diehards find Pico-Poseur music 'of poor quality' and 'highly offensive to sensitive ears'. There have even been rumors of 'pure' Picoists commiting drive-by attacks (called Smash-and-Trashes by the local press) on Pico-Pop nightclubs. Sample artists of this genre are Trolls in Love and free-style diva Synnamoane.
Kagetenshi
I don't remember the book, but there was one cyberpunkish story I once read where an AI would use very high or very low frequencies to either make people extremely nauseous (low) or kill them (high) over the phone.
I want all the audio implants I can get, but I am NOT going to a Sub-Dub or Pico concert.

~J
Buzzed
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Nov 19 2003, 12:52 AM)
I don't remember the book, but there was one cyberpunkish story I once read where an AI would use very high or very low frequencies to either make people extremely nauseous (low) or kill them (high) over the phone.
I want all the audio implants I can get, but I am NOT going to a Sub-Dub or Pico concert.

~J

Remind me not to buy that phone that doesn't block harmful frequencies. Guess the FCC got abolished. grinbig.gif
Fortune
I like it, Spooky. smile.gif
Velocity
Spookymonster wrote:
I was toying around with an idea for a SOTA:2064 article about recent trends in music.
<snip>
Sub-Dub is like Drum-and-Bass, only the rhythm tracks are all in the sub-sonic range.
<snip>
Pico (also known as Drone to the un-enhanced) can be identified by its distinctive high-pitched whine.

Fortune wrote:
I like it, Spooky.

Ditto, I think this is really cool and creative. Spookymonster, what about thaumaturgical tunes? If there exists music for those with technologically-enhanced hearing, I wonder if physical adepts (or Awakened in general) have begun generating their own music, audible only to them.

"Playing the astral waves..." The press kits practically write themselves. smile.gif
Spookymonster
Yeah, I was trying to come up with a counterpart to Trans for the magically inclined, but I only came up with one idea, and I haven't fleshed it out too much yet. It isn't so much a new style of music, but rather a new way of presenting it. Imagine a performance at the Globe Theatre featuring a spirit claiming to be Shakespeare. Or a nightly performance of Tupac's ghost at the MGM in Las Vegas. Because spirit manifestations can't be recorded by electronic media, bootlegging isn't a concern. Expenses are low (how much does a spirit need, really?), front-row seating comes at a premium, and managers don't have to worry about their star performers accidentally O.D.ing and crashing the gravy train.

These spirits (be they nature spirits or otherwise) are typically bound to a single location, thus guaranteeing the venue's owner that their star attraction won't walk out on them for a better salary. A shaman is typically kept on hand to summon up the spirit(s) and command them to perform, so there's no need to worry about primadonna performers. However, there have been stories of spirits hiring runners for extractions, as well as the more mundane 'contract renegotiations'.

Since no one can actually prove that their spirit isn't the real spirit of Tupac, Shakespeare, Elvis, etc., a secondary industry of copycat performances spring up, each with their own version of Biggie Smalls, Jerry Garcia, and Jim Morrison. Granted, the quality of these shows can vary greatly (especially in the more rural parts), but there are exceptions to the rules, such as the ghost of Hank Williams, Sr. in Mount Olive, Alabama. Sometimes the competition between these acts can get pretty nasty...
Herald of Verjigorm
I can't remember where it was, but I read a discussion of high end clubs for mages. Astral parties. If you can project, you can pay for a nice, warded room to leave your solid self as you wander a building whose entertainment is designed to provide a collage of emotional backdrops. Those who cannot (or don't want to) project can get a similar experience and become part of the backdrop as they get into the events.

The shows are planned beforehand to include what the owners suspect will be an entertaining blend of emotional overload, and some nice tunes.
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
I can't remember where it was, but I read a discussion of high end clubs for mages.  Astral parties.

State of the Art:2063, Culture Shock, page 109, Coffin Clubbing.

I think Spookymonster's idea is a continuation of this idea really. Almost a "pop" performance version, visible to non Awakened. Sounds like a lawsuit from the DIMR waiting to happen though.

Here's my picks for the Oblivion music scene:

1. One Bullet by Infest. The Mid-Western trio know how to hit a sour spot and keep twisting. This dark album of post apocalyptic music will take you from extremes of excitement, horror, desperation, and death. The overriding sense of hopelessness lasts for hours after the pounding single, Breaking Through the Door has ended. The interactive album art, by Kagetenshi makes the 20 nuyen.gif price tag seem insignificant.

2. Die Breeders Die by Unicide. This self depreciating band of admitted drug addicts uses ironic lyrics and black humor to illustrate our hypocrisies while keeping a freakishly fast beat. "Better Than Life (Death Is)" is a mainstay on Oblivion radio stations. The band's refusal to sign for BMG has hurt their ability to sell flesh records, but their 'Trix host is still running scans.

3. Born to Clog the Wheel by DNR (Do Not Resuscitate). A first attempt, this demo single popped up around Oblivion clubs on the 'Trix with huge fanfare. Nothing else has surfaced though. The loop is intricate but manages to worm into the ear.

4. 'Trix Burner by Counterpoint. Well the girls who hate everything have turned their unblinking eye upon the Matrix. No subject is taboo to these voluptuous vixens. One of the few mixed race bands, this foursome tours relentlessly. Their single "Jackout" will make you long for real flesh with hard hitting, sexy lyrics.

5. geek me by overrad. A Trans Oblivion band, overrad has made a name with thirty second ballads and thirty minute loops that seem simultaneously excruciatingly long and exceptionally short. "flatliner" strikes a balance between the Trans and Pop possibilities, but those with meat ears still won't appreciate much beyond the chorus - thankfully, that's all there is.
Empyrean Seraph
This thread is exceptionally ancient, isn't it? But here's a few from my games (well, when I still ran F2F games)...

One of my favorites was The Hoopy Froods, which some friends and I were actually going to use as the name of our band, which never got formed. The Froods are the latest entrant in the old jam music genre, which started with the Grateful Dead almost a century ago. The lead singer, Galen Twotusks (ork), is obsessed with the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Albums include Vogon Poetry (2056), A Fish in the Ear! (2058), Sentient Blue (2062) and 12 from Amazonia (2063).

Others who've played clubs throughout the Seattle sprawl are: DEATH STAR (kind of an Awakened version of thrash-industrial a la Atari Teenage Riot) and Sub-neural (similar to Front Line Assembly).
Sepherim
QUOTE (Plastic Rat)
Darwin's Bastards - Breeder blues. (still hanging in there despite itself)
Trog - Bite me!
Maria Mercurial - Cute
Concrete Dreams - Look this way!
Chromer - Stupid fraggin' trog.
Darwin's Bastards - Do we not bleed? (a classic)
Amerind - Sioux Shock.
Concrete Dreams - Tribute to to the city.
Maria Mercurial - We can make this work.
Chromer - Better than beetles.

Just have one to add to such great list:

Axes to Battle: Nightfall in the Sixth World (April 2063, Mitsuhama Records); a quick, ear-destroying and menacing show of what trogs can make out of heavy-rock. Reverberations of classics like Concrete Dreams or Blind Guardian fill the whole album, forming a dark tribute to those that came before them.

Skuzzy and the Gonzos: Ain't Feeling Sorry For It! (December 2054, Aztechnology Audio); the classical biggest hit in their story, this album confirmed Skuzzy and the rest as the best troll thrash band in the Sixth World. Quick, tough lyrics for hard guitars, which bring alive the life in the streets.

As a general note, there does seem to be a lot of Thrash, Heavy Rock and similar movements in SR. Still, their lyrics seem to have more to do with which would be classical "protest" rap: gangs, street problems,... In fact, it ain't strange that many of such bands have close ties to the shadows (there's the Rocker archetype after all).
Kamquat
QUOTE (Sepherim)
Just have one to add to such great list:

Axes to Battle: Nightfall in the Sixth World (April 2063, Mitsuhama Records); a quick, ear-destroying and menacing show of what trogs can make out of heavy-rock. Reverberations of classics like Concrete Dreams or Blind Guardian fill the whole album, forming a dark tribute to those that came before them.

Skuzzy and the Gonzos: Ain't Feeling Sorry For It! (December 2054, Aztechnology Audio); the classical biggest hit in their story, this album confirmed Skuzzy and the rest as the best troll thrash band in the Sixth World. Quick, tough lyrics for hard guitars, which bring alive the life in the streets.

My math is a little rusty but doesn't that make two songs you added to the list?

Just for fun, I'll add my fictional SR band to the thread. Our group did some bodyguard work for a minor troll thrash metal band called the Four Trolls of the Apocolypse. They played such memorable classics as Frag, Drek, Fragging Drek, Frag that Drek, and Frag Your Drek Packed Hoop-hole. They were running with the idea that controversy sells.
Young Freud
What's surprising is no one's mentioned at all this website, Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music, charting the evolution of electronic music by genre and illustrates each genre with samples. It will give you an idea how much music in general has evolved for the past 20-30 years, based off cultural importation, technical advances, and fusions of various other types of branches of music genres, and what to extrapolate and give people some idea of what strange fusions will pop up in 206x.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012