Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Protecting Drones II
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
WeaverMount
The other threat has a good conversation going on, but has throughly devolved back into agent confusion. I would like to hear and talk about more specifically tips and tricks for riggers.

Two Questions to get thinks kicked off.

1) What do people think about a rigger issuing commands over an IR laser requiring line of sight as house rule? It would require that the rigger be more involved in the action than sitting in the bunker van, but would make it harder for a facility's spider/hacker to bag the drones.

2)
On the other thread someone mentioned:

I tend to think that, using the ratings 1-6, abstract all this. So the super secure, multiple-PAN, looped through a dolphin, a satellite and through 14 datajacks on your pet mice, can all simply be described as Rating 6 firewall, and really doesn't need anymore detail than that. But, everyone's mileage varies here on this...for some, rating 6 isn't good enough and other, more complex and confusing, ways must be found:)

How do people feel that nature of abstraction? Should riggers just deal with rating 6 firewalls and call it quits for better or worse?
Redjack
Couple of ideas I have: Giving the pilot program an analyze program helps detect hacking attempts as would adding an agent whose sole job was to monitor the drone.
FrankTrollman
  1. People can see Infrared Lasers in 2070. Not just people with funky equipment, but seriously almost 7% of the civilian metahuman population can just see it. You're better off with a UV laser or a microwave laser or something. IR just isn't a spectrum to hang signal in the awakened world.
    That being said, jammers can interfere even with tight laser beams, but it is much more difficult to piggy-back on that signal. A laser comm keeps you mostly safe from people spoofing your drones.
  2. I'm in favor of it. The actual nature of communication between you and whatever you're talking to is important only for questions of what might cut you off. A line can be cut, something going through the air can be jammed, and prerecorder instructions can be inappropriate. Putting more steps just makes you susceptible to more man-in-the-middle attacks and uses up screen time.

-Frank
damaleon
I made similar suggestions as the OP and Redjack at the end of the last thread, but I've been thinking about it more.
Okay, this ended up much longer than expected, but hopefully is helpful. I spoilered the extended version and just bullet pointed the main ideas.

1. Spoof your ID often to reduce Spoofed commands going to your drones.
2. Run your drones in Hidden mode.
3. Get Firewall and Encrypt to Rating 6 fast, and alter your encryption routinely during longer fights.
4. Jammers and ECCM are your friend too.
5. Add independent Agents to your drones if you have few of them, load them on the drones as IC if you have a lot of them.
6. Emergency override/reboot switch can be a lifesaver too. Or you could loose all your drones.
[ Spoiler ]

It's not possible to make something completely safe and still very effective,
Jaid
QUOTE (WeaverMount)
1) What do people think about a rigger issuing commands over an IR laser requiring line of sight as house rule? It would require that the rigger be more involved in the action than sitting in the bunker van, but would make it harder for a facility's spider/hacker to bag the drones.

i would say so. you'd probably want something like the smart firing platform, only with a laser communications device and a wired connection back to a vehicle or something like that, but i certainly don't see why it couldn't work.
WeaverMount
I know that tight beam communications would work technologically, but do people think that if would be a fun, interesting and non redundant mechanism? If riggers did this would all facilities just have "IR-turrets" the spiders to use, effectively reducing it back to wireless communication? In sort do people like the addition?

@dameleon, Good stuff! that helps to give me a tight mental picture of solid tight security without pulling anything crack.
otakusensei
Just a quick note, we're back on topic on the old thread. Good stuff here though.
WeaverMount
Thanks for the heads up. see you there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012