Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Shadowrun Website: Shadowrun4.com
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
eidolon
As many people have noticed, www.shadowrunrpg.com is currently redirecting to Fanpro Germany's e-store.

As of a couple of days prior to Gencon, the site has been moved to www.shadowrun4.com.

This post will be updated as things change.

Also, remember to check CatalystGameLabs.com for more tasty SR and CBT information.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (eidolon)
In the meantime, you can check www.catalysgamelabs.com for Shadowrun information.
eidolon
What about it?
farrenj
lol, eid, you forgot the "t" in catalyst. smile.gif He was poking fun.
Dashifen
Rotbart van Dainig: putting the 2nd "t" back in "catalyst." biggrin.gif
Buster
Nice site. It's in English and everything!
warrior_allanon
oh good, now i dont have to hunt people down and kill them....i still cant catch up on downloading SRM's but eh, i'll live for a while since i dont have a group to play with anyway
eidolon
D'oh! I didn't even notice when I checked after his post. I thought he was saying that something was wrong with the site, but the link worked for me.

Ergo, no problem! silly.gif

edit: fixed the original post
Zolhex
Now it looks like your just t-ed off
coolgrafix
I suspect that with the change from FanPro to Catalyst that a registrar change on the domain has been bungled somehow. I'm still curious what's going on. And even more curious as to how it's even possible that no explanation has been forthcoming from the usual in-the-know sources. Did I miss a sticky somewhere? Surely someone knows what's going on. =)
Rotbart van Dainig
IIRC, as Adam pointed out, the domains belong to FanPro Germany.
Since they don't produce SR anymore, they don't have any incentive to host the english website for it.

Or, in other words... the domains are held hostage, most likely until the german licence issue is resolved.
hobgoblin
who needs SR when real life behaves like this?
vladski
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
Since they don't produce SR anymore, they don't have any incentive to host the english website for it.

Or, in other words... the domains are held hostage, most likely until the german licence issue is resolved.

Great frown.gif

I was hoping to download the last couple Missions for possible use. I wonder how long it's gonna be before they resolve this.

*grumble, grumble, grumble*

Vlad
Zolhex
QUOTE (vladski)
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Aug 12 2007, 04:52 AM)

Great frown.gif

I was hoping to download the last couple Missions for possible use. I wonder how long it's gonna be before they resolve this.

*grumble, grumble, grumble*

Vlad

Tell Dunner which ones you need he has them all and has said in the past he will send them out.
hobgoblin
is all the srrpg server data also in fanpro hands?
Adam
No. [Well, yes, but it's also in my hands.]

Solutions are being worked on, but there's nothing I can say to you guys that will make it resolve faster.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Adam)
Well, yes, but it's also in my hands.

Backups - you'll never know when you need them. grinbig.gif
Redjack
Perhaps I'm just a simpleton but in the meantime why can't we put the site back up on a different domain and update everywhere to point to the new URL, then when the old URL is restored the new URL simply becomes an alias?

That would take about an hour.... right?
Fortune
As long as you don't actually need to download anything, you can always use the last backup of the site, courtesy of the Wayback Machine. smile.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
Wow. That would be the first site I know that has its downloads mirrored by archive.
Fortune
Yeah, the Wayback Machine is a pretty useful site.
Adam
QUOTE (Redjack)
That would take about an hour.... right?

No. It's a little more complex than that.
Redjack
Then I'm *assuming* that it must be legal issues.
hobgoblin
there are always legal issues...
NightmareX
I hate legal issues frown.gif
Vairdic
QUOTE (Redjack)
Then I'm *assuming* that it must be legal issues.

Or...

It could be software versioning issues, absolute links, relative links, graphic changes, DNS records, IP address conflicts, mail setup, the largest convention of the year in 3 days, packing for a week on the road, finalizing fall products, negotiating with the hard-ass Operations Manag.... umm... wait, not that one.

There are many reasons, but we are putting quite a bit of effort into figuring out the issues and getting everything fixed (hopefully without causing many additional issues). Adam, Andrew, Scott, and the team at our top-notch web host are all working on the issues.

There's no logical reason that one must assume legal issues are holding things up.
NightmareX
You sir have just increased my faith in InMediaRes. cool.gif Thank you.

(+1 karma for Vairdic)
Rotbart van Dainig
But at the end of the day, the site code still belongs to FanPro, and without their agreement, it's not going anywere.
TypeRyder
I would be careful with this statement...

Fanpro hasn't the license anymore so I'm asking myself if they still retain the usage rights for shadowrunrelated material like the content of the english shadowrun website. Anybody here who can shed some light on the whole copyright / license stuff?
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (TypeRyder)
I would be careful with this statement...

It's all in the archive.
© 2001-2006 WizKids Inc. Shadowrun is a registered trademark of WizKids Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Original contents of shadowrunrpg.com copyright © 2001-2006 Fantasy Productions. Permission given to reproduce contents for personal use only.
Adam
Before you guys go on a mile-long tangent: all the material on the site is owned by WizKids. The "original contents" line was just a catch-all for non-Shadowrun content, in case, for some reason, non-SR content was uploaded temporarily.
Rotbart van Dainig
Material, sure. And the site itself?
Adam
Owned by WizKids.
Redjack
QUOTE (Vairdic)
..software versioning issues, absolute links, relative links, graphic changes, DNS records, IP address conflicts, mail setup, the largest convention of the year in 3 days, packing for a week on the road, finalizing fall products, negotiating with the hard-ass Operations Manag....

Just so that I am not misunderstood, I was replying to
QUOTE (Adam @ Aug 12 2007, 07:10 PM)
No. It's a little more complex than that.

As someone whose been dealing with the web and website issues since Mosaic and the "web" starting taking over from gopher, I was strictly speaking about establishing a site with the basics of the online presence that existed at shadowrunrpg.com and hosted all the Missions Campaigns.

absolute links, relative links, IP address conflicts, mail setup are all easily mitigated. The transfer of the original DNS record is of course a tricky legal matter, but the establishment of a secondary DNS record takes mere minutes.

In any case, I don't want to add any stress. Thanks for the update and good luck with those last four (especially that last item.. wink.gif )
coolgrafix
QUOTE (Adam @ Aug 13 2007, 11:54 AM)
Before you guys go on a mile-long tangent...

Having been both the victim of (and occasional cause of) several botched registrar switches over the years, I understand there are several points of failure: missed authorization emails, unresponsive folks in the food chain, auth codes that don't work, auth codes that worked but were acted upon too late, etc.

Since I find it hard to believe that the FanPro folks would haggle over or refuse to transfer the domain (or just change the DNS record for that matter), I'm assuming it's one of the points of failure above. But the lack of an official word is tearing me apart. =) Yes, I'm that pathetic.

In the spirit of tangent prevention, which I am a big fan of, can you shed more light on the issue? =)
Adam
Sprite's new dining room table has way more room for laptops than the old one!

Shadowrun4.com
Zolhex
Woot updates are back!
BookWyrm
Drat. Scooped again!
toturi
Isn't it time for A Very Bad Day yet?
DireRadiant
QUOTE (toturi)

THursday , Indianapolis, I'm running it.
the_dunner
QUOTE (toturi)

By the time the web site fixes were more or les resolved, full GenCon panic was going on. I imagine it'll go up on the web site this week. However, if you need your fix, drop me an e-mail at shadowrunmissions@gmail.com. I'll get it out to you as soon as I can.
Zhan Shi
www.shadowrun4.com
BookWyrm
I already added it into my Favorites & it comes up fine.
Zolhex
Question??????

As a Commando I made the decision to get business cards made so that my players at my firebase and at conventions would have a nice handy list of websites to check out.

I put Catalyst on it I put Shadowrun on it I put Battletech on it I put the fourms for both on it I put my firebase on it and lastly my email addy.

Now after I did all that the website for Shadowrun has changed so that my cards are no longer correct.

So my question is will the previous site ever be back to bing the offical Shadowrun site or is this new one going to remain?

Also I have a question I have submited a couple of times and so has a player of mine nither of us has gotten an answer using the link at the bottom of the SR4 site for emails is there somewhere else we need to send our questions?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012