Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Down in the Barrens
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Redjack
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...opic=18648&st=0
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 22:00:01; Touristville, Redmond, Seattle

Some days are good days and some days are bad days, then there are days like today. It was a new definition of bad. It was like all three fates took a dump on your head after eating Indian food all week...

The day actually started pretty good. Two days ago Ditch McCoy dropped off his ride for an upgrade of the turbines. This morning at 10 am it was done and after a 30 hour bender to get it done ahead of schedule.

Billy awoke an hour ago, feeling pretty damn good. Ditch is a drone rigger with good connections, good hardware and a steady stream of work. If he was as equally impressed, then there would be more work coming... and perhaps some work that paid on contingency and paid lots better than wrenching.

Stepping into the shop Billy saw it all slip away. He felt ill, weak in knees, tasted the bile in his throat. Ditch's ride was gone, the alarm node was trashed. Ditch wasn't the type of guy to take a joke and the guys he ran with were the types to rip your arm off. Just what Billy needed, to loose another arm.

Kneeing there in the shop Billy looked across the floor, then at the clock in AR. Ditch would be here at 4:00am on Tuesday. Lacking a sense of humor, Billy doubted that Ditch has an ounce of compassion either. Could just grease him and dump the body.. No, his crew knew he was coming by. Could pack up and leave... No, Billy didn't have much, but he'd have to walk away from it all and start all over.. again... Too old to do that.. Only one choice. Track down the bugger who stole the ride and make them a grease spot. Probably some damn trog!
fistandantilus4.0
Ah @#%@ @#%$@%, @%@$ @ @$@#$in the %$@#@ @#$@# his $#@$#@ then @#$@34 with iron wool!

Bill took a minute to compose himself, then another five to go through his list of explatives again. Just incase he'd missed some.

Alright, has to be a reasonable explanation for this.

Let's work under the assumption that Ditch wasn't trying to skip out on the bill, and that no one's doing this to purposefully get me geeked.

Or maybe I shouldn't close that avenue of thought.fragger!. OK, how would I get in this place....?

First thing, Billy inspects the alarm system. See how they got in, see what kind of talent I'm looking at. Then just pray to Dog it's just some idiot kids I can put a couple of ruonds into and call it aday.

Billy scans over the alarm system first to see how it was bypassed.
Redjack
[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
[ Spoiler ]
Redjack
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 22:04:00; Billy's Garage, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle

The first pass looking everything over yields utter confusion, but running a diagnostic on the garage's maglock provides some information. It was opened at 19:03 with a valid access code, though with your expertise with maglocks you know a good maglock passkey can generate a fake code.
fistandantilus4.0
Damnit. Passkey means someone with cred available. That rules out punk gangers. Not helpful.

Looking around the place some more, Billy scans the place for anything basic. Anything out of place, dropped, hell even boot prints. Grabbing his olfactory scanner, he runs it over the garage as well to see if there's anything out of place. An enclosed space only a few hours ago, perhaps something will be left.

If nothing pans here, going to have to have a talk with a few f the squatters.
Redjack
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 22:06:00; Billy's Garage, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle

[ Spoiler ]
Several minutes spent looking around the garage for things out of place do in fact yield a few clues. First, someone walked through the oil on the garage floor you spilled when draining the old oil cooler. The boot's tred looks like a military or hiking boot type. Large. The owner is either a large human or ork. Perhaps a small troll. Other than that, everything is as you left it. Your box of expensive tools is sitting there open and undisturbed.
fistandantilus4.0
Besides the tools, there's plenty of other expensive things the ycould have grabbed here. They must have been looking specifically for Ditch's ride. At least they didn't touch my bike.

At the thought, Billy goes over to his bike, giving it a thorough goings-over. Once he's satisfied it's in good condition, he changes the maglock's combination, grabs a few of his firearms, shrugs on his jacket, ... and heads to the fridge.

Walking purposefully outside, Billy looks around with his thermographics at the street people around his shop.

Two things you can always count on in this city. Trolls will always be in the way when you gotta take a piss, and the squatters never have anythign better to do than watch.

With that, he walks acorss the street, a well stacked sandwich and a couple of bottles of beer in hand. Holding out money is a good way to say "someone shank me" in this area. But food, now that's incentive. Food and a drink, in exchange for a bit of helpful talking, that was a one wa ticket to InformationVille. Hopefully.

[ Spoiler ]
Redjack
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 22:09:00; Billy's Garage, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle

One thing you notice is a definite lack of street people in the area. The recessed doorway of the hardware store across the street is usually the squat for Walter, a local street person. He is not there. Most street people are laying in for the night at this time of night, in this neighborhood, but where are they?
[ Spoiler ]
You do hear a noise round the north side of the garage. Moving closer to investigate, you find Madge, another local squatter, leaning and weaping over the body of her husband, Derrick. The first thing that dawns on you is that you know the names of too many people living on the street. The second is that Derrick died from a single shot to the forehead. Madge does not appear to have noticed your arrival.
fistandantilus4.0
What the frag? Who the hell cares enough about a snatch to pop the squatters? Maybe Madge know something at least...

Walking up by stopping two meters from the squatter, Billy the food down.

Madge , what happened? Who did this?
Redjack
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 22:09:06; Billy's Garage, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle

She looks up, tears streaming down her face. Instead of replying to your words she jumps up, flailing arm at you, wailing even louder, "You! This is your fault!". With your increased reflexes she moves moves slowly by comparison. Her flailing arms lack any skill and are fueled by her all encompassing grief.
fistandantilus4.0
Well that obviously didn't work. Time for a different tact

Billy waits for a moment to find a good opening , then moves in to grab her arms at the wrists, lifting them high above her head.

I didn't do this! Otherwise I wouldn't have been asking what the frag happened, now would I!?

He shoves her back before she decides that biting is an acceptable alternative to smacking.

Someone hit my shop last night, and oviously killed Derrick to keep him quite about it. I want these people dead damn near as much as you do. So instead of screaming your head off and picking fighs with the wrong people, why don't you help us both out here and get me some information!

It comes out as a yell. It's probably not the best tact, but it should be enough to crack through her chip addled brain. Crazy slitch.
Redjack
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 22:09:45; Billy's Garage, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle

When you grab her she struggles only for a moment before collapsing. Between the sobs she speaks. "I didn't say YOU.... shot him..... I said.... It's your FAULT..... " She begins to calm a bit, speaking more rationally. Her anger now bringing some measure of control. "We were eating behind the corner cafe." The greasy spoon diner is two doors down. "He heard a noise and came down here to check it out. A few minutes later I heard your garage door open. I came down, saw the vehicles driving away and then saw Derrick."

She immediately turns back to the body, dropping to her knees beside it. This time she refrains from draping herself across it. Sitting there looking at the old woman's back you realize that she must be in her forties. Not much more than a decade older than you. Derrick is something closer to fifty, a hard life for both of them.
fistandantilus4.0
So this just happened?!
Redjack
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 22:09:57; Billy's Garage, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle

Kneeling by the body she replies as though the wind is knocked out of her. "You brought this here. Whatever you're involved in..."
fistandantilus4.0
Right, 'cause I invented crime. Listen, I was just fixing some guys car. I sure as hell didn't want anyone breaking in! You wanna blame me fine, but you want the fraggers that did this to face justice, I need intel. Did you see anything? The driver, anyone inside the shop? Hell ,which way were they headed? The faster I get intel, the faster I can go after 'em.
Redjack
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 22:10:21; Billy's Garage, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle

Without turning around she points to the north. "X. Q. D. 1. 5. 9. The plates of the second vehicle."
fistandantilus4.0
*blink* Blinkblink* For a moment, billy looks at her increduosly.

Wait, how did she ....second vehicle?

Do you have an eye cam Madge ?

Via his cybercomm, he imediately starts searching for some sort of plates database. In all likelihood it's a fake plate. But if she has a recording of the vehicle, a picture is worth a thousand words after all.
Redjack
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 22:10:45; Billy's Garage, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle

She reaches out to touch Derrick's body with one hand, remaining silent. She shakes her head to answer. No.

[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
How did you get the plate number then?

As he asks, for the first time he comprehends the real pain he is seeing that's usually such an easily forgotten byproduct of his way of life. He'd said it himself "killing squatters". He knew their names and he still didn't think of them as people.

Slowly, Billy put his left hand on her shoulder.

Madge, I'm sorry. I...

Silence for a moment.

When Billy speaks again, his voice is level and more serious.

Listen, I asked before because I was being selfish. Your husband is dead. I can't do anything for him or you now, except bring down who ever did this. For my own reasons yes, but this ... this sort of thing shouldn't happen. You two aren't any different from me.

Come inside, I'll bring Derrick. You can tell me anything you remember there.

Slowly, Billy moves to pick up the body.

I'm just treading water as a small time runner. Ten years from now I won't be able to do even that. I could well be Derrick in twenty.
Redjack
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 22:12:00; Billy's Garage, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle

Madge follows Billy into his shop. As he carries Derrick, Madge recovers slightly, but still following almost zombie-like. "I just remember stuff. Always have. I pick things out and remember details... No cyber, all real meat. Never had enough cred for anything like that. We had a little house once, when we were about your age..." She chokes up a little, but holds it together. "The other vehicle was nice. Newer model. One of them sleek multi-passenger types. Kinda between a van and wagon."

As you set the body down and look back to her, you see her sights have settled on your sandwich despite the tear stains on her face.
fistandantilus4.0
Here, I know it's going to be a while 'til you get settled. Have a bite and a drink. It'll help calm you a bit.

He slides the sandwich over and pops the beer. Giving her a minute to eat, he finds a sheet to cover Derick's body and finds something to be paying attention to to let her get comfortable.

I gotta get out there and find these guys.. Madge is my best bet ... Dog have some damn compassion man..
Redjack
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 22:15:00; Billy's Garage, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle

Madge wolfs down the sandwich, her eyes darting back and forth between Derrick and Billy. Returning just a minute later, he find her sleeping. Still sitting on the stool she laid her head on the work bench and fell asleep. Finally, the worry and stress in her face have recessed a little and she even looks rather peaceful. She is dirty and definitely needs a bath, but she is much better than a mere fifteen minutes ago.

The fact remains that fifteen minutes have passed since Billy learned his life may be over and information is still minimal....
fistandantilus4.0
DAMNIT ! Drek, I know she needs rest, but I need answers!

He moves over to gently, at first, shake her shoulder to wake her.

Madge, listen, I still need some information. I need to know anything you can tell me about the second vehicle .What it looked like. Madge?

While trying to rouse her, Billy sends a message to Ash, his fixer.

<<<<Ash[Billy] What's it going to set me back to get intel on a license plate number?

Redjack
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 22:15:30; Billy's Garage, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle

Madge awakens, embarrassed at having fallen asleep. "All I know is what I told ya. The other vehicle was nice. Newer model. One of them sleek multi-passenger types. Kinda between a van and wagon...."

<<@Billy [Ash] Probably around 500. You working a job?>>
fistandantilus4.0
No idea about make or model? Alright get some sleep.

<<<< Ash[Billy] X. Q. D. 1. 5. 9 - someone hit my shop. This one's business and personal.>>>>
Redjack
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 22:15:39; Billy's Garage, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle

Madge looks back, first in confusion as though you were speaking another language and then in silent fear.

<<@Billy [Ash] I think Smurf has a line in on the DMV. I'll contact him and let you know.>>
fistandantilus4.0
It's all right Madge, just get some rest. I'm not going to hurt you.

Billy gives her a reassuring smile, then walks out of the room.

This is not good. I've got to get moving on this. I need more intel and I need some spending cash.

An idea occurs to Billy. It isnt' a pleasant one, but there aren't a lot of choices right now. His life over a dead man's corpse is no question at all.

<<<<Ash[Billy] Get him on it pronto. Also, I need a meat wagon here. I got a body I need off loading, and a new expense account I need creating. Even if it is small.>>>>
Redjack
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 22:15:39; Billy's Garage, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle

Madge watches, clearly unsure of intent.

<<@Billy [Ash] Well, I happen to have great news for you.... That Westwind that you assisted in the liberation and repatriation of..? Well, I finally fenced it. Your cut is 2k. That's on account. I'll get a wagon over there. >>
--------
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 22:18:30; Billy's Garage, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle

<<@Billy [Ash] The plates are from a '55 Jackrabbit. Trick is Smurf is pretty sure somebody just updated the record tonight at the DMV. To bad you don't live in a neighborhood with traffic drones... He said something about the code having a signature on it though. Ice. Smurf says he knows a decker who goes by that handle. An independent who takes his meat body to Dante's. >>
fistandantilus4.0
<<<Best news I've had all day Ash. Both actually. Toss Smurf nuyen.gif 500 for me and see if he can gt me anything else on "Ice". Matetype, gender, pic or icon, anything. Especially if "Ice" is independant or works with a crew. Thanks again.>>>>

"Ice". What kind of decker calls themself "Ice"!? "Hoi, I'm a steet samurai! My name is 'Guard'!" Idiots. Hackers are definitely the stupidest smart people ever.

Billy paces for a bit in the other room, but keys up his select sound filter and amplifier to get an idea of what Madge is doing.
Redjack
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 22:19:00; Billy's Garage, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle

<<@Billy [Ash] Done.
!!!-- [Data Feed] Account Balance: 1,500 nuyen.gif --!!!
Data Search: Ice. Check.
Let me know if there is anything else. >>

[ Spoiler ]
Redjack
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 22:19:03; Billy's Garage, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle

As Billy listens for Madge, he instead hears something else. The rumble of a street bike pulling up in front of the shop...
Thomas
A big man, on a big bike, pulls up to the garage door.

The slightly muted explosive sounds of the Harley stop as the man flicks the ignition off. In the deafening silence, the pipes tick to themselves as the man kicks the stand down and removes his helmet.

The man dismounts and places the helmet on the seat. If he looked big on the bike, it only makes him look bigger next to it.

He strides purposefully towards the door, a dustmask covering his face. His dark, bald head shines in the weak sunsecurity floodlights. He reaches for the door and gives it a brief double rap…
fistandantilus4.0
Oh now what the frag is it?!

About at his wits end, Billy his armored jacket, and shrugs it on as he grabs his ceska, checks the clip, and chambers a round.

If that ain't the schwans man, it damned better well be someone with good news.

Walking back in to the main room, he gives Madge a *shh* gesture, walks over to the door quietly, and opens it without a word. His pistol is in hand, but not leveled just yet, as he stands back just out of arm's reach.

He looks the man up, and up, and down.

I didn't order no pizza pal.
Thomas
The big black man removes the dustmask, revealing an ear-to-ear grin that belies his dead-grey cybereyes.

“I didn’t bring no pizza – could ya take a look at the forks, it feels heavy in the turns…�
Redjack
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 22:19:48; Billy's Garage, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle

Billy opens the door for the ork standing in the doorway.. wait, no this is a human. If fact, as his eyes adjust he recognizes David. Most everyone just calls him Sledge. The man was built like a brick shit-house. Sledge is a few years older than Billy, but pretty much in the same boat: A wanna be runner, small time at best, but a guy with a solid rep none the less. Billy had worked on the man's bike a few times and drank together till they could barely walk more times than he could count over at the Vulgar Unicorn. (A neighborhood bar six blocks away)
fistandantilus4.0
Drek Sledge you don't know the day I'm havin'. Listen, I don't have time for work right now. Some fraggers boosted a ride from my goddam shop. I got a bit on my plate, ya' scan?

Billy tried hard to keep the frustration out of his voice. It sure ain't Sledge's fault, and it's never a good idea to take your temper out on a big man anyways.
Thomas
The grin fades from Sledge’s face.

Slot me… Look, I’m sorry Billy, I didn’t know… Who?
fistandantilus4.0
The ride was that hard hoop's Ditch. They took it just a few hours ago, while I was sleeping off a 28 hour grind on the thing. No idea who yet. Got a decker looking in to it though. Come on in man, have a beer. Don't mind the corpse
Thomas
Corpse?

Sledge steps inside.

Ya got one of 'em?
fistandantilus4.0
No, they got a neighbor. This is his widow Madge. She managed to get a plate number though. I got a decker who's lookin' at a decker, and so on..

[ Spoiler ]
Thomas
Years of military experience kick in, standing in for social graces.
…On behalf of the C.A.S. government, I regret to inform…
Failing, he stammers out, “I, uh, sorry for your loss, ma’am…�

<<@Billy[David]Spirits, man… I mean… ya say ya got a lead?>>
fistandantilus4.0
<<< yeah, I've got a decker that goes by "Ice" I'm waiting on some information on. The plate number she got was a fake, which I expected. Wasn't a morpher though. It was fake in system, and this "Ice" clown was the one that wrote it in. So as soon as I have some more information on him, I'm be knocking on his basement door. You wanna come play, I'll do your work at no charge.>>>
Thomas
<<Yeah, I got yer back… all I got with me is my pistols, got some heaver ordinance back at my doss, 40 mikes round trip if ya think we need it…
Redjack
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 22:22:30; Billy's Garage, Touristville, Redmond, Seattle

Madge is standing on the other side of the work bench on which Derrick's body is currently placed. She is still uncertain of the situation she finds herself in and is a little on edge with the new arrival.

<<@Billy [Smurf] Got a lead on Ice. Posted about a good payday and going to the Event Horizon tonight. Hacker bar downtown.>>
fistandantilus4.0
<<< Thanks, that'll help. Any idea what his icon is?>>>>

For now, Billy is letting Marge be, not overtly paying any attention to her. Wouldn't do to startle her. Since he's just short of expecting her to draw a gun from somewhere, he is still watching her however.

Got a lead on our man Ice. You up for a little clubin' there Sledge?

[ Spoiler ]
Redjack
@Billy
[ Spoiler ]
Redjack
@Billy
[ Spoiler ]
Thomas
Sledge looks around, finally spotting a large wrench.
Yeah, who's the target?
fistandantilus4.0
Ice. Going to have a little talk with the man. Or chica. Whatever. See what he knows about the people he helped break in to my shop. No reason we have to get overly rough, as long as he talks to me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012