Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dennou Coil
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
PBTHHHHT
I was just made aware of this series.
Here's a wiki article of it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennou_Coil

Anyway, thought y'all would be interested and look it up. I did a quick search and didn't see it mentioned already on the forums. Enjoy!

edit: BTW, there's some fansubs on youtube...
hobgoblin
Sounds interesting. I guess ill check it out smile.gif
PBTHHHHT
It gets interesting when you hit episode 4, there's a hacker fight in their concept of AR
Ranneko
I too will have to check this out.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
BTW, there's some fansubs on youtube...

Meh, AniDB is your friend.
hobgoblin
watched the first 4 on youtube. like PBTHHHHT said, it gets interesting in that 4th one.

its interesting how most of it happens inside the "metaphor".

it makes me again think that everything is happening on top of ASIST in SR, rather then lower, unless needed.

also, i cant make up my mind if the chalk marks are real or virtual. something tells they are real, and gets interpreted by the code somehow.

still, i have a feel that if something similar was turned into a rpg, people would complain about the lack of informative detail. like how things can stay in sync at one point but get out of sync in another.

a whole lot of artistic freedom seems to be used in telling a good story.
Marwynn
Just saw the first ep on Stage6, very nice show. Stage6 has higher quality versions though you need to install its web divx player.

hobgoblin
and is annoying as hell to use in linux...
Rotbart van Dainig
Watching episodes in your browser gives you cancer, anyway.
Marwynn
Well, it full screens up to a high resolution. And it saves it to a directory on your HD as long as you don't close the browser, so really it's just a faster way of getting the eps...

But you didn't hear that from me.
hobgoblin
as i watched a bit more of the show i came to the, in hindsight obvious, conclusion that the pets and satchii are agents, while the metatags and similar as programs.

now if one consider the spaces as nodes...

hmm, it starts to dawn on me that programs, and even more so agents, may require some kind of simsense/asist presence or the matrix would reject them.

that is not to say that they are shows to everyone on a node, just like background programs on a computer today are not shown unless you use ways to specifically list them.

the one thing missing tho is the system corrupting ability of the attack programs.

but i have a feel that may show up in unwired as earlier versions of SR have had both programs and IC that was able to target the hardware of the cyberdecks. so while the protection against this may have been strengthened after crash 2.0, i hope its still there.

another missing feature is that it seems one can induce biofeedback via AR in this series, as seen when the glasses people use crash. but this could be psychological i guess as later on one of the girls talk about having not turned of her glasses for a year or so, and feeling "weird" without them. so the sudden info cutoff from having the glasses crash may send people into a state of shock or panic. this then result in them freezing up like deer in a cars headlights.
PBTHHHHT
episode 10 is now out.

What does anybody else think about this series. It makes me think of it as shadowrun lite. Also there are some parallels to maybe otaku gang turf wars, I guess this would be how it's kinda fought, except in shadowrun someone will inevitably pull a gun on someone just because they can.
hobgoblin
episode 10? i have gotten as far as episode 13 thanks to fansub torrent sites wink.gif

and im waiting for more.

i had some hard time grasping why they where counting years whenever a set of glasses where "nuked". but i later found out that what they where counting was new years gifts. a very japanese concept i guess.

all in all i find it interesting, even if i find the filler episodes with infighting between the kids but little or no activity from the "bad girl" boring.

but as a visual take on a AR enhanced life, its highly interesting smile.gif
PBTHHHHT
alas, I don't use torrent sites or any of those downloading things.

As for the goggles, yeah, I guess for the price of what they cost and that they're kids, it's hard for them to scrounge up that much money for new goggles unlike adults.

Yeah, what I'm taking from is the AR enhanced life and some of the interesting things from. Kid hacker gangs in schools with turf wars, oy! Also makes teaching in class and such interesting, why read about certain events in history when you can fully immerse in it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012