Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drakes
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Shockwave_IIc
Now i know the topic of drakes has been brought up before, but i don't think this specific question has been asked.

What are the rules for playing a drake with an Troll as the Metahuman form?
cos it seems that apart form the form ie size you get none of the other assicated benefits, penelties.

Now i think that if you are wanting a none human form you used pay points for it, For it's only fair. Thus you gain the Physical attributes of that form (strength, body bonus's, quickness peneltys) but would you sufer/ gain the mental effects as well. Because it really seems wrong to be a bit on the dim side when in your none standard form.

I mean do the dragons become less intelligent when they assume metahuman form? No they don't but the do lose their physical bonus's.

Can you see what im getting at?

Ideas? Because it seems a little off? But then you are paying 30+ Bp's for your race (not including the flaw)
moosegod
Shapeshifters don't change their mental attributes at all. They get a bonus from the race and that's it.
tisoz
But shifters can only take on human form, which has no bonuses or penalties.
Tanka
Drakes aren't shapeshifters, though. Shapeshifters start as animals, and shift to humans. Drakes start as humans and shift to drakes. That's the biggest difference that could make the Troll-to-Drake method work. However, I'd personally make my members buy Troll, then buy Drake.
Fortune
Personally, I would rule that it is a human-only thing, the same as shapeshifters.
Herald of Verjigorm
What happens when a shapeshifter SURGEs and rolls goblinization?

"That is one ugly bird"
Fortune
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
What happens when a shapeshifter SURGEs and rolls goblinization?

Since it would technically not be human (or metahuman), I would rule that goblinization would not be possible for a 'shifter.
moosegod
But paracritters Goblinize.

Why not drakes?
Playing Games
Better yet, why do shape shifters only take the form of humans?
Fortune
QUOTE (moosegod)

Why not drakes?

Do you have an example?
QUOTE (Playing Games)
Better yet, why do shape shifters only take the form of humans?

Because the rules are quite specific in this regard. Shapeshifters are animals that can take human (not metahuman) form.
El_Machinae
I assume you're meanin' true drakes, right? Because it seems pretty obvious that you'd make a troll 'base' and then smack on the 'drake' bonuses when it shifts (if you're playing a bred drake)
Synner
QUOTE (moosegod)

No known paracritters "Goblinize", all known paracritters Awaken (like elves and dwarves) and there are some instances of SURGEd paracritters.
snowRaven
I don't have the time to check right now, but I believe that in either Dot6W or Threats2 it says that bred drakes can be of any metahuman race.

Considering True DRakes in ED could take the form of any Namegiver race, it is safe to say that True Drakes in SR could be Trolls too - however, if you have a player character True Drake your campaign probably don't need balancing rules anyway, and so you should simply have him retain his 'normal' mental atytributes, and give metahuman attributes as his or her current form...

But bred drakes are humans, elves, trolls, dwarves or whatever first, and so keep their metahuman mental stats when changing.
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (snowRaven)
I don't have the time to check right now, but I believe that in either Dot6W or Threats2 it says that bred drakes can be of any metahuman race.

That is excately what is say's, which i why i brought this up

But bred drakes are humans, elves, trolls, dwarves or whatever first, and so keep their metahuman mental stats when changing.

Thanks SnowRaven, this was what i was looking for. The reason why i had asked was because Dot6W said Drakes have a BP cost of 25, not +25 like Ghoul or Otaku where you still have to pick your metatype.
El_Machinae
Hurm, good point. And the munchyness of a Troll drake would be crazy. But, I'm pretty sure the intent is to build a metahuman and 'smack' the drake abilities onto it.
snowRaven
glad I could be of some help upsidedown.gif though the rules for PC Drakes are fuzzy at best.

In order to make sense of them, you need to mix and match the text in Dot6W with the text in Threats2 and add some common sense.

So...for some added questions: Do human Drakes earn Karma Pool as humans? (Same question goes for Changelings, btw...) Is the cost for a minotaur drake really 40 BPs, or should all drakes cost 25? Can a drake become a ghoul(or other hmhvv types, for that matter)? grinbig.gif
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (snowRaven)
In order to make sense of them, you need to mix and match the text in Dot6W with the text in Threats2 and add some common sense.

I know, You need Dot6W to been able to play drakes as PC's, but your needing the stat mods from threats 2. Bad move. But at least both books are good enough to brought on their own merits.

So...for some added questions: Do human Drakes earn Karma Pool as humans? (Same question goes for Changelings, btw...) Is the cost for a minotaur drake really 40 BPs, or should all drakes cost 25? Can a drake become a ghoul(or other hmhvv types, for that matter)?

See the way i see it, is this.

Drakes (and changlings) earn Karma pool as per their Meta type. This of cause assuming (not the best thing to do) that the cost is +25Bp instead of 25 Bp. So a Minotaur drake would cost 40Bp's

As for a drake becoming a ghoul? Hmm, they don't immunties to HMHVV, so they could. But should they? I don't think so, buts thats IMHO

Even though i have answered my own question i still ask for other people opinion becaue there is ALWAYS more then one way to view a situtation
Ol' Scratch
Damn EDIT button always trickin' me.
Ol' Scratch
No, the Karma Pool bonus for being a human is for being a human. Drakes are a distinctive metatype all their own. While they may be able to turn into a human, they're not a human anymore than a dragon or any other shapeshifter is.
Shockwave_IIc
Point conseeded Dr F. Your a Drake with the ability to assume metahuman form.

Which leads to the question, how to stat a drake who's second form is not a human?

Do you buy your Attributes as normal then slap on the metahuman Physical mods when in that form? Because your mental shoud not really change.

But if thats the case, Barring Bp cost and flavour (which means differing amounts to differnet people) why would you pick anything other than troll?

Or is there another way that im not seeing?
moosegod
You split the stats of your form like a shapeshifter.

And remember, troll costs 25 build points, points you can use for a lot of other stuff. I mean, that's 7 stat points.!
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE ("moosegod")

See i thought of that, But that makes them very weak, even more so if you want to make them magicaly active (which by canon they often are). i might not appreiant this point as much as i should due to not having played or had a shapeshifter in my games.

And remember, troll costs 25 build points, points you can use for a lot of other stuff. I mean, that's 7 stat points.!

Ermm thought trolls were only 10? Or am i not reading this right?
moosegod
I misread.

25 pts is magic...

:crawls under bed in shame:
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Shockwave_IIc)
QUOTE ("moosegod")

See i thought of that, But that makes them very weak, even more so if you want to make them magicaly active (which by canon they often are). i might not appreiant this point as much as i should due to not having played or had a shapeshifter in my games.

Well isn't that kinda the point? You want all the nifty powers and whatnot, then you have to pay for them. And through the nose if you want them all at once. :/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012