Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Agents and Response
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Tarantula
I'm curious to how my view will hold up to the scrutiny of dumpshockers. I'd like to get this hammered out, as it seems the consensus of dumpshock right now is contrary to my own, so hopefully I can get some good discussion going about this.

There are 2 modes agents can operate in. SR4, 227"Agents can be loaded into your persona like other programs (taking a Complex Action), allowing the agent to accompany you to any nodes you access. Agents can also access other nodes independently if instructed to and if they either have the passcodes or are carrying an Exploit program and can hack their own way in (as independent icons)."

My interpretation of the rules is that: When loaded into your persona, the agent is present in nodes that you are present in, and is unable to go anywhere without your icon going first. The agent utilizes the response of your commlink. This method is PA in the poll.

When operating independatly, the agent is able to act like a unique persona, without any trail leading back to your commlink. The agent has whatever programs it brought with it, and must access/exploit nodes in order to use them. It uses the response of the node it is present on. This includes agent/ic spawned by a node itself, as they aren't running via any persona. This method is IA in the poll.

My reasons:
SR4, 217-218. "When you are accessing a node, you may set your Analyze program to automatically scan and detect other users/icons on that node with a Simple Action. A successful scan will be reported to you. The program will maintain that task for as long as you are on that node or until you kill that process."
This shows that accessing a node and being on a node are the same thing.
SR4, 220. "If you don’t want to maintain a connection to that node, you can run a Browse-equipped agent (p. 228) instead." This shows that agents are able to run without any connection back to your commlink. You can run a browse program on a node with an open connection that can be traced to you. Or, you can send an agent to do it, with no data trail because its operating independantly of you.

If an agent operating independatly has no connection to your commlink, then it obviously is not operating utilizing your commlinks hardware. This is why an agent operating remotely utilizes the response of the node its persona is in. Because its not connected to your commlink in any way. When you are running them off your persona, you can utilize your commlink's stats, as there is an open connection, between your persona and your commlink.
DireRadiant
Not enough options.
FrankTrollman
My interpretation doesn't seem to be in your Poll.

PA runs off the Response of your commlink.
IA runs off the Response of whatever node it happens to be running from. This in turn may or may not be your Commlink.

So if anything, I'd like a new poll. One where I could actually answer it. As I interpret it, an independent Agent is running just like a Hacker is - they have a source node (which limits them with its response) and then they have whatever nodes they happen to be interacting with (which don't).

-Frank
Buster
I like Frank's interpretation because that means I can clean out a commlink store, copy my agent onto each of them (I have the source code since I wrote the agent program, so the copies are free). Then I can launch a horde of hundreds of agents to pwn any system I want. With no system degradation, even the best IC in the world will be wiped out in one round. Unless they know that trick and have thousands of agents running in their system...hmmm, this could get silly. When is SR5 coming out again?
odinson
QUOTE (Buster)
I like Frank's interpretation because that means I can clean out a commlink store, copy my agent onto each of them (I have the source code since I wrote the agent program, so the copies are free). Then I can launch a horde of hundreds of agents to pwn any system I want. With no system degradation, even the best IC in the world will be wiped out in one round. Unless they know that trick and have thousands of agents running in their system...hmmm, this could get silly. When is SR5 coming out again?

Problem is that each would have to hack through the firewall individually. So even if they all managed to get through it porbably wouldn't be at once and the horde of IC on the other side would crush them as they straggled through.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Buster)

That's my interpretation. I call this the "Agent Smith Problem" and I really haven't seen an adequate answer to it anywhere.

Fundamentally defenses such as Firewalls are abstract, while attacks such as Distributed Denial of Service are not abstracted. So the fact that there is absolutely nothing stopping you from potentially having dozens or thousands of distinct zombie PCs out there invoking your dark will in distributed fashion means that the interaction is fundamentally flawed.

I honestly can't figure out any reason why you couldn't order multiple commlinks loaded with agents to make an attack against a single target. And since the basic book insists on modelling that as two separate attackers (or five, or over nine thousand), it seems that virtually any defenses are by simple numeric probabilties going to eventually fall to an attack in the first round.

---

My own campaigns work at all because of a gentleman's agreement where none of the teams' hackers go ape shit with Agents and then they still have challenges. There are not any meaningful restrictions on that sort of behavior in the basic book. Nor can there be with the way Matrix interaction is defined.

-Frank
virgileso
My personal method of dealing with the Agent Smith problem is to abstract the actions of agents. If you have one or one hundred, you only roll & act once for any single activity (generally the one with the highest bonus), as if there were only a single agent; and having greater numbers of agents only gives the ability to multitask & it's harder to stamp them out. As an extra element, agents cannot provide teamwork benefits to anyone or anything in hacking.

The idea is that having multiple copies of a graphing calculator running doesn't make the graph any more awesome, and the rating for the program/agent should already take into account how much processing power they take up...which is a sufficiently large number within a single commlink that stacking them doesn't give an appreciable benefit (other than holding more programs before losing response).
knasser
Agreed. There are not enough options. My own interpretation is in line with Frank's. I see no sensible reason why an agent can run happily from your commlink, operating on a remote node, fighting in cybercombat, running exploits, stealth and all that jazz, but only if a human is sitting next to it holding its hand. The "independently" that Tarantula has fixed on refers, I believe, to when the agent is loaded onto a different node. That's not compulsory to be present in another node, as demonstrated by the fact that agents can do this when accompanied by your persona and by the fact that agents can be present in multiple nodes which would screw the whole theory.

It also doesn't make much sense in terms of what we know of the Matrix. Being present in a node in VR represents a connection and interaction with that node. I don't think that can be disputed. So this idea would mean Mr. Corp Exec can't have a personal assistant that goes off and books flights, arranges meetings, downloads SIMs for me, etc. unless I either he goes with it to hold its hand, or everytime his (along with everyone else's) program wants to go off and book a flight, it has to actually cease running on his commlink, upload itself onto a remote system that is willing to run it, do what it wants to do and then reverse the procedure. This makes little sense from security and efficiency points of view on both the execs and the airports side. And it also brings us back to the issue of working with multiple nodes, again.

The Agent Smith problem would not be the first loophole that has crept into the 4th edition rules. (*cough* blood spirits *cough* summoning loop *cough*), so I think the existence of a potential problem being a consequence of what the rules say is not really an argument that the rules didn't say that.

The way that I have dealt with the Agent Smith problem is part fluff and part rules. Firstly, on the corp side, I have made long arguments elsewhere as to why corps wouldn't field agent armies. On the side of the hacker, there is also the expense, but more particularly the point that stealth is almost always critically important to the hacker and it is the one thing that Agent Smith army cannot do. Often, it is important that the victim does not know that they have been compromised. There are also strong options that a target system can use when it knows it is being attacked. For a start it can sever outside connections or shut down. Either one of which, by RAW, it can do before the ASA can do anything useful; and both of which have no counter.

More so than this, the ASA is massively detectable, massively traceable. You can spend two months sneaking round the city and planting commlinks in dustbins all set to launch their attack on midnight of the 31st. You're likely to be found. You've probably gained nothing other than some mild interference in the target business (if it doesn't immediately use a different Matrix access point, that is) and in return catapulted yourself to the top of Lone Star's wanted list. Of course a big corp might not worry about Lone Star, but now we're into the realm of politics and counterstrikes and corp war.

There are other counters that a GM can pass under RAW. For example, you can treat a massive agent attack on a node as a teamwork test (which it really is) in which case the number of agents that can work together is limited by their rating. You could also argue that given the agents are all clones of each other, they're not going to be able to help each other very much:
"Hey - try this exploit."
"Wow - that's just what I was thinking of trying!"

It's also easy enough for nodes in the Matrix to operate on some basic rules and say - "hey, I have an army marching through here, lets alert someone or throttle this traffic". The Matrix was designed to be smart and to resist the sort of virus attacks that devastated the world. It's most emphatically not the Internet of today. And the RAW allow nodes this sort of intelligence so you can do it without problem.

I wrote a fluff piece on the Matrix a long time ago here which outlines some fluff justifications for this sort of resiliance towards the end.

If this poll were to be valid, it would need more options. As it is, it doesn't represent the range of viewpoints here on Dumpshock. We've already had quite a lot of these in the previous (long) thread on this. Polls aren't good for complex arguments like this, because people frequently vote and then read the following thread and can't change their mind. If you (Tarantula) are trying to sum up our previous debate on this and find out who "won" this poll wont really give you that.

EDIT: I null voted.
Blade
I go with the 1st one. There's nothing proving that it's right but contrary to what some people say, it can be explained and is consistent enough.

But that's an issue I'd like to see officially settled.
hobgoblin
i think knasser covered most of the bases.

deploying a agent smith attack would be like a virtual 9/11. one would have the target, corp court grid overwatch division, and maybe some others to, descending on the event in short order.

its like massing the army at a border. its just not something you do without being noticed.

hell, isnt the one thing that keeps the corps in line the omega order? or basically a kind of corp MAD scenario? what would be the virtual equivalent?
knasser
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Aug 14 2007, 02:52 PM)
i think knasser covered most of the bases.

deploying a agent smith attack would be like a virtual 9/11. one would have the target, corp court grid overwatch division, and maybe some others to, descending on the event in short order.

its like massing the army at a border. its just not something you do without being noticed.

hell, isnt the one thing that keeps the corps in line the omega order? or basically a kind of corp MAD scenario? what would be the virtual equivalent?

Basically, once the Agent Smith Army is noticed, it's very easy for any nodes involved to just dump the lot of them whilst alerting authorities. With a large number of agents even a casual user just passing through is going to notice them. In Shadowrun, as in the real world, one's power is defined not by what one is capable of, but by one's ability to take the consquences.

But I still maintain that the chief disadvantage of them is not their vulnerability to serious action (node shutdowns, etc). but that an infiltration loses value if the enemy knows you've been infiltrated.
hobgoblin
yep, but then i think frank argues it as a pranksters weapon rather then a shadowrunners weapon. but then if matrix crimes where handled sharia style, i would think a lot of kids where a lot more careful...
Bira
I don't see anything "fundamentally flawed" here. Yeah, making DDoS attacks is possible. That's realistic. It's also a pretty unfeasible tactic in the context of most Shadowrun games, which is what the rules concern themselves with.

Your run-of-the-mill spam, botnets, and the like have been a problem for decades in 2070. Dealing with them in everyday life has been abstracted away by the rules. Using them as weapons in a hack probably has, too - with a little imagination, you could say that's part of what the "slow and sure" hacking rules are supposed to represent, for example. And if you counter that with "the rules shouldn't require you to have an imagination", go find another hobby biggrin.gif.

What you're describing is a flood of thousands of agents, each running from its own dedicated commlink. A commlink capable of running the sort of agent a PC hacker is likely to employ will cost a couple thousand nuyen, at the very least. Want to send nine thousand "Agent Smiths"? Got eighteen million lying around?

And if the target in question has made itself impervious from external assault by the simple expedient of not being online, how do you carry 9000 commlinks into a place like that?
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Bira)
And if you counter that with "the rules shouldn't require you to have an imagination", go find another hobby biggrin.gif.

best response i have seen on this page in ages love.gif
virgileso
Alright, so using over nine thousand agents will get you too easily noticed and you have to deal with the whole MAD scenario. What if you don't use that many, and instead use half a dozen copy-pasted agents using teamwork. You can simply have a good commlink connected to whatever system you want protected, continually scanning the databases for any hackers, just buying hits and auto-detecting intruders in less than a combat turn. The same goes for any kind of nonopposed Matrix test, as you don't need to use a hundred agents when a dozen will make you unstoppable.

Sure, you'll be auto-detected, but the only real way to stop you once you're found is to shut down the system, and that alone will cause problems. And if MAD is initiated from a dozen agents, then the world is entirely too unstable.

At that scale, how can any corp function without having everything be an isolated island where data's transferred by optical disk ferried by a heavily guarded messenger goon?
Sma
Got eighteen million lying around?

Yes. There's 10 listed in the BBB who can drop 18 mil on "I win the Matrix" and write it off as business lunch.

Taking your servers offline to defend against DDoS, means you lose anyway
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Sma)
Got eighteen million lying around?

Yes. There's 10 listed in the BBB who can drop 18 mil on "I win the Matrix" and write it off as business lunch.

Taking your servers offline to defend against DDoS, means you lose anyway

only if thats the objective in the first place.
Rotbart van Dainig
That is the only objective of DoS.
hobgoblin
that may be. but it sounded like it was a general problem of the matrix rules...
Tarantula
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)

PA runs off the Response of your commlink.
IA runs off the Response of whatever node it happens to be running from. This in turn may or may not be your Commlink.

So if anything, I'd like a new poll. One where I could actually answer it. As I interpret it, an independent Agent is running just like a Hacker is - they have a source node (which limits them with its response) and then they have whatever nodes they happen to be interacting with (which don't).

-Frank

Agents aren't able to run "from" a commlink.

SR4, 227"Agents can be loaded into your persona like other programs (taking a Complex Action), allowing the agent to accompany you to any nodes you access. Agents can also access other nodes independently if instructed to and if they either have the passcodes or are carrying an Exploit program and can hack their own way in (as independent icons)."

These are the only methods agents can run in. From a persona, or as an independant entity. As an independant entity, they do not have a connection to your commlink, as per this quote. SR4, 220. "If you don’t want to maintain a connection to that node, you can run a Browse-equipped agent (p. 228) instead."

When an agent is in your persona, it tracks to your commlink, and utilizes your commlinks response. When an agent is independant, it uses the response of the node it is in.

The rules do not say agents work as hackers do in the matrix. It says that they have 2 methods of working. By being loaded in a persona, or by being independant. Each has its benefits and drawbacks. There is no third "source node" mode.
Fortune
QUOTE (Tarantula)
Agents can also access other nodes independently if instructed to ...

Your Commlink is a node.
knasser
QUOTE (virgileso @ Aug 14 2007, 10:02 PM)
The same goes for any kind of nonopposed Matrix test, as you don't need to use a hundred agents when a dozen will make you unstoppable.

Sure, you'll be auto-detected, but the only real way to stop you once you're found is to shut down the system, and that alone will cause problems. And if MAD is initiated from a dozen agents, then the world is entirely too unstable.

At that scale, how can any corp function without having everything be an isolated island where data's transferred by optical disk ferried by a heavily guarded messenger goon?

This is a valid question - what about the less extreme cases? The general answer, if you crunch the numbers is that you get the same situation in a less extreme way. If you use nine agents, you can achieve more - but you've given the opposition nine chances to notice you.

In situations where you don't mind about being noticed, then you do better. But I think these situations are rare. The counters that a target system has to the Agent Army are 100% effective and whilst forcing a denial of service on a target system is thus possible, it brings us back to the aims of the hacker. It wont get you the information that you want and it's a lot of work to conceal who is behind all these agents. It will also likely take only a few minutes for the authorities to deal with the attack, also, whether that's some sort of general police "Matrix division" or more likely, you're standing contract for security with Renraku.

The teamwork rules cap the number of extra dice by the skill of those involved, so the average agent (rating 3) can at most get three extra dice on a test. This is very much assuming that the GM allows identical agent programs to use the team work rules. They do, after all, have identical knowledge and techniques. You run the same program eight times, you get the same results eight times. wink.gif At any rate, I certainly don't think you can apply it to Stealth rolls which is the most important. If you slavishly allow teamwork rolls for everything, then you're going to get forty-strong Shadowrunning teams strolling invisibly through corporate compounds as they throw in Infiltration dice to each other. smile.gif

In any Agent vs. Agent situation, if we're talking mercenary hackers, then the corp can throw more at the hacker than the hacker can throw at the corp. But hackers don't use the mass attack because it's risk without gain, and the corp's don't use swarms of agents because it's expensive and its inefficient. Good system design is a more effective way of ensuring security.

As to this:

QUOTE (Tarantula)

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)

Agents aren't able to run "from" a commlink.

Tarantula - what good is it to hold a poll and deliberately exclude from the options an opinion that many of us hold? What purpose is this poll intended to serve? And given that we just had a four page thread of you telling us we're wrong, it's hardly as if you excluded our interpretation accidentally.

When you say:

QUOTE (Tarantula)
The rules do not say agents work as hackers do in the matrix. It says that they have 2 methods of working. By being loaded in a persona, or by being independant. Each has its benefits and drawbacks. There is no third "source node" mode.

The rules nowhere use the words that "[agents] have 2 methods of working." Those are your words indicating your intepretation. It says that they can run on your commlink and they can be loaded onto other nodes and run from there. The latter is what I think is meant by "independent." It is independent from your commlink. I don't agree that it means it has to load itself onto another system just to interact with another node. That just doesn't make sense.

Tarantula - You're going to have to accept that a lot of other people disagree with you.
virgileso
And what about the technique of getting a high-grade commlink loaded with half a dozen agents using Analyze on their designated system? It's a cheap purchase for any corp to have each agent to be different, and so teamwork is even more likely to work and thus you will auto-detect any and every hacker who works on his own; making the whole concept of covert hacking pointless. I don't see how this can be reconcilled without house rules, and thus my choice of simply hand-waving multiple agents into nonexistance for action resolution.
Veggiesama
My house-rule reply to the "Agent Smith Problem:"

Agents are not treated as a simple program. In fact, they require special hardware that is included in the price of the purchase (usually a small box, no larger than a commlink). Corporations can buy much bigger boxes that they stick somewhere in their server farm (probably contains multiple high-quality agents).

The net result, of course, is that agents are treated as independent entities that don't have fluctuating stats, and if you want more than one, you just have to fork over the money. Corps got it, so they can afford to run dozens of agents (balanced by the fact that they have quite a few more nodes in their flock to tend) but players are usually strapped for cash.

The most agents I'd like to see (in terms of style and avoiding massive dice-induced headaches) in one hacker's hands would be 2-3. By their nature, agents require some serious processing power, and the idea of simply making copies ad infinitum until one side or another buckles seems to me to gut the more subtle aspects of the hacking rules.
Tarantula
QUOTE (knasser)
The rules nowhere use the words that "[agents] have 2 methods of working." Those are your words indicating your intepretation.

For the third time.
SR4, 227"Agents can be loaded into your persona like other programs (taking a Complex Action), allowing the agent to accompany you to any nodes you access. Agents can also access other nodes independently if instructed to and if they either have the passcodes or are carrying an Exploit program and can hack their own way in (as independent icons)."

The first sentence, "Agents can be loaded into your persona like other programs (taking a Complex Action), allowing the agent to accompany you to any nodes you access." Is what allows agents to be run from a persona like any other program.

The second sentence, "Agents can also access other nodes independently if instructed to and if they either have the passcodes or are carrying an Exploit program and can hack their own way in (as independent icons)." Is what allows an agent to run independently. Since no other methods of agents running are listed, those are the only two.

QUOTE (knasser)
It says that they can run on your commlink and they can be loaded onto other nodes and run from there. The latter is what I think is meant by "independent." It is independent from your commlink. I don't agree that it means it has to load itself onto another system just to interact with another node. That just doesn't make sense.

No. It says that can be loaded into a persona, or access other nodes independently. The latter is what is meant by independent, because they state that "agents can also access other nodes indepedently".

SR4, 217-218. "When you are accessing a node, you may set your Analyze program to automatically scan and detect other users/icons on that node with a Simple Action. A successful scan will be reported to you. The program will maintain that task for as long as you are on that node or until you kill that process."
This paragraph uses accessing a ndoe and being on a node interchangably. If an agent is accessing a node, it is on that node, and vice versa.

SR4, 220. "If you don’t want to maintain a connection to that node, you can run a Browse-equipped agent (p. 228) instead."
This shows that agents operating independently are not connected to your commlink. So, how can they be utilizing your commlink's response is there is absolutely no data passing between your commlink and the agent?

I will agree that yes, you can have an independent agent running on your commlink, and uzing the commlinks response, however, as soon as that agent moves to a different node (whether it connects, is present in multiple nodes, etc) then its persona in that node uses that nodes response.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Tarantula)
For the third time.

Has it not sunk in that people are in fact reading that passage and still don't agree with you?

The second sentence, "Agents can also access other nodes independently if instructed to and if they either have the passcodes or are carrying an Exploit program and can hack their own way in (as independent icons)." Is what allows an agent to run independently. Since no other methods of agents running are listed, those are the only two.

And you think that accessing another Node means something different for Agents than it does for Hackers and Sprites why? When a hacker accesses a node their Persona doesn't literally start running on a different node, he just gets an icon in that node and can send information back and forth. He can attack icons in that node, and icons in that node can attack him. And that's as far as it goes.

So why for the love of sweet zombie Jesus do you insist that when an Agent accesses another node that it means that their source code actually goes anywhere? That word doesn't mean that when used to talk about any other matrix entity.

-Frank
Moon-Hawk
Oh how I love that sweet, sweet zombie Jesus. smile.gif
Blade
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
So why for the love of sweet zombie Jesus do you insist that when an Agent accesses another node that it means that their source code actually goes anywhere?

Because that's the way mobile agents work today.
Because it's possible that the Matrix is designed to avoid agents acting from remote nodes.

I'm not saying that this is the right point of view. I'm just saying that it's possible.
Buster
QUOTE (Blade @ Aug 15 2007, 11:36 AM)
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Aug 15 2007, 05:25 PM)
So why for the love of sweet zombie Jesus do you insist that when an Agent accesses another node that it means that their source code actually goes anywhere?

Because that's the way mobile agents work today.
Because it's possible that the Matrix is designed to avoid agents acting from remote nodes.

I'm not saying that this is the right point of view. I'm just saying that it's possible.

No, that isn't how agents work today. A modern agent can access a webserver, ftp server, file server, or any other kind of server and does not need to transfer it's source code or exe or service process to that target server. They CAN transfer their exe/service-process to another machine and run from there (if they have administration rights to do so), but they do not have to.
Blade
Yes but they are designed to act this way. You don't need an agent to connect to a webserver/ftp server/file server and so on. If you need to do that, a script is far enough.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
So why for the love of sweet zombie Jesus do you insist that when an Agent accesses another node that it means that their source code actually goes anywhere? That word doesn't mean that when used to talk about any other matrix entity.

maybe its because of the end of the first paragraph about agents on page 227?

"this means that the attributes of an agent operating independently may vary as it moves from node to node."
Blade
Actually it just states that an agent can move from node to node and that the attributes of the agent will depend on the attribute of the node they're on.

But it doesn't state if the agent can act on another node than the node it is loaded on.
You may find it implies something... But I don't think rules should just imply on such important topics.
hobgoblin
yes it dawned on me as i hit post that it can be interpreted both ways thanks to the use of "may". it could be that the writer had in his mind that different nodes would have different response rating, or that the agent didnt have to move.

something tells me there was a lot of text cut to fit the matrix rules into the book...
knasser
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Aug 15 2007, 06:12 PM)
yes it dawned on me as i hit post that it can be interpreted both ways thanks to the use of "may". it could be that the writer had in his mind that different nodes would have different response rating, or that the agent didnt have to move.

something tells me there was a lot of text cut to fit the matrix rules into the book...

You can take it either way. Personally, I'm going with the one that makes sense to me and which I can most easily support and show consistency with other rules. The demonstrated ability of agents to run programs such as Attack and Stealth that affect a remote node when the persona holds their hand, and in fact to run remotely in this circumstance, means I require a very compelling reason to interpret it differently. I haven't had any problems as a result of playing it this way.

EDIT: And I still think it was daft to set up a poll that knowlingly excluded a common point of view that the creator didn't like.
Tarantula
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
And you think that accessing another Node means something different for Agents than it does for Hackers and Sprites why? When a hacker accesses a node their Persona doesn't literally start running on a different node, he just gets an icon in that node and can send information back and forth. He can attack icons in that node, and icons in that node can attack him. And that's as far as it goes.

No, sprites and agents accessing nodes are the same. Agents running through a persona act like a compiled sprite. Sprites must be in the node with the technomancer, and agents running through a persona stay in the node with the hacker.

Agents acting independently operate like sprites on a remote task. Theres no connection between agents and their commlink they were sent from. And theres only the mental link between the sprite and the technomancer.

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)

-Frank

Yes, it is. If a persona is accessing a node, it is on the node, and vice versa. They are interchangable terms. Accessing tends to make you think of AR, and being on a node in VR, but they both mean the same thing. You have an icon present in the node.

The reason independent agents utilize the nodes rating is because there is no connection to the commlink they were sent from; SR4, 220. "If you don’t want to maintain a connection to that node, you can run a Browse-equipped agent (p. 228) instead."

Thus, they are running off that nodes hardware, which makes sense because of the sentence; SR4, 227, "Agents use the Response attribute of whatever node they are run on; this means that the attributes of an agent operating independently may vary as it moves from node to node."

Agents operating independently are running on whatever node their icon is in. Agents run through a persona are running on the persona's node.
Ol' Scratch
On a related note...

If programs are so difficult to copy, how is it that you can load a copy of a program you have onto an Agent and send him off to God-knows-where, yet still have access to the program yourself? And what's stopping you from performing this function with anyone else, effectively giving copies of the program away? I mean, if the Agent has everything it needs in the program loaded into itself to the point where it can leave your commlink completely, uhm, how's that any different from copying it?
Tarantula
The agent isn't copying the program, its loading it into memory and running it. Which takes a complex action. SR4, 227, "In order to activate a program, the user must first have the program available (either on his commlink or on one of his networked devices). The program must then be loaded into the persona’s memory and run, which takes a Complex Action. Running too many programs at once may affect Response (see p. 212)."

Once its loaded, you can move from node to node without issue. (since theres nothing that says you can't).
Ol' Scratch
Which is my point.

What's the difference between copying a program and "loading" a copy of it into an agent or persona? It apparently has everything it needs from the program to go on independantly from its node of origin, so what's the difference between the two? And why can't you just copy the "loaded" copy to another agent or persona?
Tarantula
Fancy yet-unthought of copy protection? Good enough for me.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Tarantula)
Agents operating independently are running on whatever node their icon is in. Agents run through a persona are running on the persona's node.

And that is where you stop making sense, which is how you fail. All of your work has shown conclusively that you can run an agent on a node and have it Browse the interwebs for you. You haven't at any time demonstrated that it has to copy itself onto the specific nodes that it is browsing and run itself from there.

An Agent that is independent:
If you wish for your agent to operate in the Matrix independently, you must load it on a particular node separate from your persona.
Agents can also access other nodes indepently if instructed to and if they either have the passcodes or are carrying an Exploit program and can hack their own way in (as independent icons).

You claim that this somehow means that they can only act on the node they are loaded into, and that they access other nodes by loading themselves onto the other node. That's wrong.

---

Most explosively and ironically, your interpretation falls flat when we come to the action of Exploit - which is in fact the only action given as a specific example in the Using Agents section. According to your deifnition, Agents cannot do it. Here's why:
  • In order to operate independently, an agent supposedly has to be on the node it is interfacing with, right?
  • But it also specifically says that they have to Exploit their way in before they can access a node, right?
  • And using Exploit on a node that they aren't loaded into would require what again?
Oh snap!

---

See, what actually happens is that you load an Agent onto [b]A node. Any node, I don't even care. And then it sits there on that node being memory resident, and when it wants to access another node it does exactly what a Hacker would do - it uses Exploit to give itself an account, and then it stays on its end of the modem and sends commands and receives data.

While an Agent can transfer itself from node to node to free up response caps on the node it used to be running on or confuse its data trail or whatever; nothing actually requires it to do that. Ever.

-Frank
Tarantula
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
And that is where you stop making sense, which is how you fail. All of your work has shown conclusively that you can run an agent on a node and have it Browse the interwebs for you. You haven't at any time demonstrated that it has to copy itself onto the specific nodes that it is browsing and run itself from there.

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
An Agent that is independent:
If you wish for your agent to operate in the Matrix independently, you must load it on a particular node separate from your persona.
Agents can also access other nodes indepently if instructed to and if they either have the passcodes or are carrying an Exploit program and can hack their own way in (as independent icons).

You claim that this somehow means that they can only act on the node they are loaded into, and that they access other nodes by loading themselves onto the other node. That's wrong.

---

Most explosively and ironically, your interpretation falls flat when we come to the action of Exploit - which is in fact the only action given as a specific example in the Using Agents section. According to your deifnition, Agents cannot do it. Here's why:

• In order to operate independently, an agent supposedly has to be on the node it is interfacing with, right?
  • But it also specifically says that they have to Exploit their way in before they can access a node, right?
  • And using Exploit on a node that they aren't loaded into would require what again?

1) Independent agents use the response of the node they are accessing/on.
2) They can also login via passcodes.
3) They can access other nodes via passcodes or exploit, because of the sentence; SR4, 227, "Agents can also access other nodes independently if instructed to and if they either have the passcodes or are carrying an Exploit program and can hack their own way in (as independent icons)."
That is the only way they can influence a node that they are not running on. Once they've successfully logged in/exploited in, they are now running on that node, and use its response.

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
See, what actually happens is that you load an Agent onto [b]A node. Any node, I don't even care. And then it sits there on that node being memory resident, and when it wants to access another node it does exactly what a Hacker would do - it uses Exploit to give itself an account, and then it stays on its end of the modem and sends commands and receives data.

Please give me any quote to back this up. You load it onto a node, any node, uses exploit to gain access (not an account), and then it is running on the newly exploited node.

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
While an Agent can transfer itself from node to node to free up response caps on the node it used to be running on or confuse its data trail or whatever; nothing actually requires it to do that. Ever.

-Frank

Not unless it cracks its own copy protection. A different analogy for how an agent works is similar to a virus. Upon successfully exploiting itself into a system, it utilizes that systems processor to do its dirty work. Thats why its limited by the reponse of the system its on. It doesn't actually write data (otherwise that'd require a transfer file action). It just moves its memory resident self over to the new system.

An agent can move itself from node to node, changing response caps as it does so, and having no data trail whatsoever. This is required, by the rules; SR4, 227, "Agents use the Response attribute of whatever node they are run on;"
knasser
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Aug 16 2007, 03:10 AM)
The reason independent agents utilize the nodes rating is because there is no connection to the commlink they were sent from; SR4, 220. "If you don’t want to maintain a connection to that node, you can run a Browse-equipped agent (p. 228) instead."

Agents do maintain a connection to the node that they are running from. You can trace them back there. You, the Hacker, do not need to remain in that node however, you can run a browse equipped agent instead. Just leave it there, do its thing and pop back later. There's no reason why just because you take your trodes off for a minute, the programs you were running suddenly crash and burn or have to hurriedly start hacking the site they were accessing.

I just can't see the corp exec interacting with his PA agent in this manner.

Corp Exec: "Go and book me a flight to Seattle."
Pocket Secretary™: "Okay - come with me!"

Despite the way you are reading the rules, (and please don't paste the same quote for the fifteenth time), we don't agree with your intpretation and it does not make sense.
Blade
QUOTE ("Frank Trollman")
All of your work has shown conclusively that you can run an agent on a node and have it Browse the interwebs for you.

Yes, you send a node with a browse program on some node, it gathers data from this node using its browse program, then wanders off to the next node to do the same...
Imagine you want to book a flight, the agent will load itself on the airline companies' nodes and look for flights that match your needs. That's one of the uses of agent that are being developped today.

QUOTE ("Frank Trollman")
You stop making sense, which is how you fail [...] That's wrong.

Stop acting like you have the perfect and canon truth. Let's face it: there is no official explanation and there's no explanation making any more sense than another.

As for the exploit, we absolutely don't know how agents transfer is done. Nodes can accept legitimate agents and can refuse illegitimate agents. How do they do that? Maybe they somehow check before receiving the agent, maybe they load the agent then check, in which case the agent can exploit the node while running on it, maybe...

QUOTE ("Frank Trollman")
See, what actually happens is that you load an Agent onto A node. Any node, I don't even care. And then it sits there on that node being memory resident, and when it wants to access another node it does exactly what a Hacker would do - it uses Exploit to give itself an account, and then it stays on its end of the modem and sends commands and receives data.

proof.gif
Maybe we don't have the same book, because in mine, there's nothing that states what is actually happening when an agent is "exploiting" a node.

Once again, I don't say that he's right. I just say that there is no canon answer and that we (hopefully) don't have enough details on the technical side of the Matrix to be able to sort it out logically.
Cthulhudreams
QUOTE (Blade)
QUOTE ("Frank Trollman")
All of your work has shown conclusively that you can run an agent on a node and have it Browse the interwebs for you.

Yes, you send a node with a browse program on some node, it gathers data from this node using its browse program, then wanders off to the next node to do the same...
Imagine you want to book a flight, the agent will load itself on the airline companies' nodes and look for flights that match your needs. That's one of the uses of agent that are being developped today.

As for the exploit, we absolutely don't know how agents transfer is done. Nodes can accept legitimate agents and can refuse illegitimate agents. How do they do that? Maybe they somehow check before receiving the agent, maybe they load the agent then check, in which case the agent can exploit the node while running on it, maybe...

QUOTE ("Frank Trollman")
See, what actually happens is that you load an Agent onto A node. Any node, I don't even care. And then it sits there on that node being memory resident, and when it wants to access another node it does exactly what a Hacker would do - it uses Exploit to give itself an account, and then it stays on its end of the modem and sends commands and receives data.

proof.gif
Maybe we don't have the same book, because in mine, there's nothing that states what is actually happening when an agent is "exploiting" a node.

Once again, I don't say that he's right. I just say that there is no canon answer and that we (hopefully) don't have enough details on the technical side of the Matrix to be able to sort it out logically.

I think the line of logic being used by the people who are going "Wait, what?" is this

A) You can only log onto a node if you have a valid account.
B) Exploit gets you into accounts

So the only possible use for exploit in the general sense is if I can hack from my node A with exploit to get an account on node B

Once you accept the only 'log onto a node with an account' bit the logical premise is that you can interact with nodes in some capacity without actually dispatching your persona there.

I think you actually do not accept premise A and this makes the entire discussion somewhat weird.
Tarantula
Except I imagine most nodes would allow guest accounts, for things like browsing a restaraunt menu, or looking at the store directory of a grocery store.
hobgoblin
thats what arrows are for wink.gif
Tarantula
QUOTE (knasser)
Agents do maintain a connection to the node that they are running from. You can trace them back there. You, the Hacker, do not need to remain in that node however, you can run a browse equipped agent instead. Just leave it there, do its thing and pop back later. There's no reason why just because you take your trodes off for a minute, the programs you were running suddenly crash and burn or have to hurriedly start hacking the site they were accessing.

Yes, but you run it as an indepedent agent. You run it, it sits there doing its thing, and you could even tell it to notify you when it found something. Theres also no reason that just because you take your trodes off you don't still have a connection to the node you're having your agent browse. You would need to logoff the node, if you didn't want a connection there anymore. So wheres the agent running if you don't have a connection to the node? On the node itself.

QUOTE (knasser)
I just can't see the corp exec interacting with his PA agent in this manner.

Corp Exec: "Go and book me a flight to Seattle."
Pocket Secretary™: "Okay - come with me!"

Pocket Sec would probably prompt for day of departure, but then it could just as easily go data searching the matrix for some flight tickets that matched the paramaters. It wouldn't even need to go anywhere to do it.

QUOTE (knasser)
Despite the way you are reading the rules, (and please don't paste the same quote for the fifteenth time), we don't agree with your intpretation and it does not make sense.

How about a different look at it; SR4, 227, "Agents use the Response attribute of whatever node they are run on; this means that the attributes of an agent operating independently may vary as it moves from node to node."
2 things. First, it only says the response of an agent operating independently may vary, not ones operating through a persona. Why? Because the persona one always is using the commlink of the hacker. If an agent operating independently did this as well, then why would that sentence be put into the book? Because, agents operating independently work differently. The bonus of having it not be a drain on your commlink, is that it uses the response of the node its present in.

I've still yet to see any rules backup (or even just how you interpretted) your arguement that an agent can be run from one node and operate on another.
Tarantula
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Aug 16 2007, 09:41 AM)
thats what arrows are for wink.gif

Yes, and to view an arrow, either you're connected to its node, or its node is connected to you.

SR4, 215, "Arrow - Virtual representations (usually visual graphics) used to represent things in augmented reality."
DireRadiant
Tarantula, is your initial assumption that Agents can only work differently then the Hacker Persona does in the first place?
Tarantula
Yes, they are not a hackers persona, and there is no text stating that they work the same.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012