Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spirit Movement power vs Vehicles
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Matsu Kurisu
Hi Guys

Can the spirit power Movement be used on a vechile within its domain e.g. Air Elemental on Plane?
FrankTrollman
Yes.

-Frank
Seyluun
If you go by the RAW Movement is incredibly broken. Even a small spirit can destroy any vehicle in its domain by increasing its speed until it dislocate, no roll needed. It's a world breaker.
Draconis
QUOTE (Seyluun)
If you go by the RAW Movement is incredibly broken. Even a small spirit can destroy any vehicle in its domain by increasing its speed until it dislocate, no roll needed. It's a world breaker.

It's a time dilation effect. Physics aren't changed. This has been discussed ad nauseum before. Sorry no movemented bullet effects.

Not a world breaker, just practically impossible to catch someone with movement on them unless you use spells and spirits yourself.
Jérémie
QUOTE (Draconis)
It's a time dilation effect. Physics aren't changed. This has been discussed ad nauseum before.

You have some sources, topics, URL?

I'm interested.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Jérémie)
QUOTE (Draconis @ Aug 14 2007, 07:41 AM)
It's a time dilation effect. Physics aren't changed. This has been discussed ad nauseum before.

I'm interested.

This issue has been discussed numerous times. And the time dilation answer is not the only positted one. But it's the best answer came up with for the age old question "Why does a bullet enhanced with movement reach a target a kilometer away in 1/2 a second, yet not inflict any extra damage for doing so?"

Time and Space move, effective speed is unchanged. Being enhanced or slowed by Movement does not make you hungrier, or catch fire, or do any of the other exciting things that would actually happen if you simply added an extra 100 kph to the speed of a running man inside of a 3 second time frame.

DocWagon vehicles are sometimes enhanced by Movement, and this causes them to get to their patients in less time. It doesn't cause them to run off the road and explode.

-Frank
odinson
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)

DocWagon vehicles are sometimes enhanced by Movement, and this causes them to get to their patients in less time. It doesn't cause them to run off the road and explode.

-Frank

Wouldn't it? It increases a vehicles speed and aren't the difficulty of the driving tests based off of speed?
Draconis
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
QUOTE (Jérémie @ Aug 14 2007, 01:09 AM)
QUOTE (Draconis @ Aug 14 2007, 07:41 AM)

I'm interested.

This issue has been discussed numerous times. And the time dilation answer is not the only positted one. But it's the best answer came up with for the age old question "Why does a bullet enhanced with movement reach a target a kilometer away in 1/2 a second, yet not inflict any extra damage for doing so?"

Time and Space move, effective speed is unchanged. Being enhanced or slowed by Movement does not make you hungrier, or catch fire, or do any of the other exciting things that would actually happen if you simply added an extra 100 kph to the speed of a running man inside of a 3 second time frame.

-Frank

I think more importantly that interpretation prevents GMs crying at the blatent misuse of the power.
"You want to do what with the remote rigged car going 1100mph?"

You get the idea.
Matsu Kurisu
Many thanks!
Would the correct type of spirit to slow/speed a car be Earth Elemental? or Air? or something else......
Fortune
Earth, Air, Man, whatever Domain could possibly fit the situation.
The Jopp
Hmmm....

What happens if you put movement power on an arrow and fire it on someone?

Will it go so fast it becomes impossible to dodge?
Red
QUOTE (The Jopp @ Aug 14 2007, 04:22 AM)
Hmmm....

What happens if you put movement power on an arrow and fire it on someone?

Will it go so fast it becomes impossible to dodge?

No, it doesn't.

Understanding Movement as a magical power is sort of like understanding 3rd Ed Shadowrun Computers. Just as you have to take your understanding of the subject matter, and put it to the side. The sole ramification of Movement is that the recipient gets to their destination in 1/Force amount of the time it would normally take.

It is probably one of the more difficult effects for players to wrap their head around because it is counter-intuitive to physics based reasoning. On a symbolic level, Movement has no effect on the universe aside from being someplace faster. Somehow collisions, impact, inertia, etc... are magically unaffected.

As for dodging an arrow, bullets are already too fast to dodge. But people can dodge the aim of their attacker. Arrows are slow enough for normal people to sidestep in midflight, but for the sake of our sanity the Devs condensed the dodge rules into a single procedure.

I mean, imagine... having a GM keep track of arrows in flight because the archer has MBW and can fire faster than the arrows would hit their target. Or imagine super trolls that can run faster than the arrows can fly. Abschalten's speed adept build, Endzone, could fire an arrow and then catch it at the opposite end of a football field without using a parabolic arc.
Wakshaani
Watch physics dance!

Basicly, you don't move faster, you just get there quicker.

Kinda like taking a short cut.

Even if you had a straight shot (Such as flying in a plane), teh spirit finds you a shorter path, magically.

It's the closest thing to teleporting that Shadowrun has.

You just get there in a shorter length of time.

Kyoto Kid
...auuuuuuuugh!

[Throws up hands in disgust at the mere notion of a Yugo doing mach 1.1]

I'm sticking to SRIII rules that it only affects acceleration/deceleration rates. Wait a moment, SR4 doesn't have acc/dcc anymore? Just movement?

...auuuuuuuugh!

OK vehicle stress, a Yugo will usually begin to disintegrate above 130 KPH.

What, no vehicle stress value either?

...auuuuuuuugh!

OK handling, I can get them on handling. There's "Dead Man's Curve" up ahead. Letsee 1,100 kph = a penalty bigger than any dice pool would be even with edge thrown in there.

Longshot test? Time Dilation? "It's Magic"?

...auuuuuuuugh! It's all so terribly broken.

....Johannes, Sir Isaac, Albert, please hear the cry of a lone disciple in the wilderness
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
I'm sticking to SRIII rules that it only affects acceleration/deceleration rates. Wait a moment, SR4 doesn't have acc/dcc anymore? Just movement?

I'm afraid you're wrong about that. In SR3 a critter using movement had to make a test to increase or decrease a vehicle's speed by a multiple of the acceleration rate of the vehicle - which you could continue to apply from turn to turn with the same maximum multiplier as normal. So, for example if you were using Movement on a Yamaha Rapier that was bringing itself up to speed from rest it would be increase in speed every round by its acceleration, and then also increase in speed by a variable amount times its speed based on how many 2s the spirit could get on its Force Test. So for example, a Force 6 spirit might get five 2s, at which point it would add five times the bike's acceleration each round (meaning that he bike would be accelerating at a total of six times normal) until it achieved its maximum of 1404 kilometers per hour.

Really the only difference between Movement in 3rd versus the way it worked in 1st, 2nd, or 4th is that in specifically 3rd edition it was possible to use Movement to accelerate a car which was at rest (though what this actually did was anyone's guess), it was very conceivable that you might get more than ForceX speed increase out of a small vehicle, the rules explicitly allowed you to apply the vehicle's enhanced speed to crash tests (meaning that you could make "car missiles"), and it took several extra minutes to get an oil tanker up to full speed.

I understand that many people remember the 3rd edition Movement rules as being somehow "reasonable" - but they weren't. The 3rd edition special rules for Vehicles and Movement closed no loopholes and specifically created a number of additional loopholes which were bullshit.

-Frank
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
I'm afraid you're wrong about that. In SR3 a critter using movement had to make a test to increase or decrease a vehicle's speed by a multiple of the acceleration rate of the vehicle - which you could continue to apply from turn to turn with the same maximum multiplier as normal. So, for example if you were using Movement on a Yamaha Rapier that was bringing itself up to speed from rest it would be increase in speed every round by its acceleration, and then also increase in speed by a variable amount times its speed based on how many 2s the spirit could get on its Force Test. So for example, a Force 6 spirit might get five 2s, at which point it would add five times the bike's acceleration each round (meaning that he bike would be accelerating at a total of six times normal) until it achieved its maximum of 1404 kilometers per hour.

Really the only difference between Movement in 3rd versus the way it worked in 1st, 2nd, or 4th is that in specifically 3rd edition it was possible to use Movement to accelerate a car which was at rest (though what this actually did was anyone's guess), it was very conceivable that you might get more than ForceX speed increase out of a small vehicle, the rules explicitly allowed you to apply the vehicle's enhanced speed to crash tests (meaning that you could make "car missiles"), and it took several extra minutes to get an oil tanker up to full speed.

I understand that many people remember the 3rd edition Movement rules as being somehow "reasonable" - but they weren't. The 3rd edition special rules for Vehicles and Movement closed no loopholes and specifically created a number of additional loopholes which were bullshit.

-Frank

...that was not the way it was explained to me when I addressed the issue to the SRIII FAQ. I was told that it only affected the acceleration/deceleration up to/down from the vehicle's actual max move rate and did not increase the maximum speed the vehicle could travel at.
Tarantula
As well as the jet motorcycle that could go mach 3+
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)

-Frank

...that was not the way it was explained to me when I addressed the issue to the SRIII FAQ. I was told that it only affected the acceleration/deceleration up to/down from the vehicle's actual max move rate and did not increase the maximum speed the vehicle could travel at.

I can't vouch for what people on the internets say, only what the book says.

The only limit on top sped is in the first paragraph where it talks about the general case. The second paragraph simply says that you can continue to use Movement round after round to increase speed. If the Yamaha Rapier in the example isn't limited to 1404 KPH under 3rd edition rules, it's because it isn't limited at all.

Really. The 3rd edition Movement rules were both confusing and bad. They were a distinct step backwards as compared to the 2nd edition Movement rules, and 4th edition going back to the 2nhd edition rules is therefore a step forward.

-Frank
Big D
We just had a thread last week on the use of Movement in space.

One of the keys to remember is that Movement multiplies velocity, *not* accelleration. The other is that it has *no* other effects, so things that should be altered by speed (like inertia), aren't.

On top of that, it leads to an inherent contradiction--your van is moving at 10x speed. How do you control it? Well, time dilation says it doesn't seem to be going any faster to *you*. But that would imply that you get extra IPs in which to drive "normally"--but you don't, because that would take Movmement from a seriously powerful ability into the be-all and end-all of all skills.

So, it's a puzzle, layered on top of a riddle, stuffed within a paradox. Keep watching this space--we'll have some sort of Movement thread at least once or twice a month.

Side thought--shouldn't the major thaumaturgical colleges have classes devoted to magical impacts on physics? If Train A leaves Chicago at 0800 at 80kph and Train B leaves Boston at 1100 at 30kph, but Train B has Movement (Force 4) on it, how many seconds will the engineer on Train A have to jump overboard when he sees Train B bearing down on him?
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
I can't vouch for what people on the internets say, only what the book says.

...ahh but this was direct from the Fanpro Shadowrun "official" website back in '05, not DS or any other forum. This was in response to my concerns of having a team of PC runners driving a VW SuperKombi at near jetliner speeds on a Hungarian highway which just didn't seem right.

Be that as it may, I do agree that the SRIII movement rules were a pain particularly with that segmented movement per action pass. I preferred the old SR2 movement mechanic as well (sans magic & spirit assist).
darthmord
QUOTE (Big D)
Side thought--shouldn't the major thaumaturgical colleges have classes devoted to magical impacts on physics? If Train A leaves Chicago at 0800 at 80kph and Train B leaves Boston at 1100 at 30kph, but Train B has Movement (Force 4) on it, how many seconds will the engineer on Train A have to jump overboard when he sees Train B bearing down on him?

LOL...

I'd give you an answer but you didn't specify the length of track between the two cities.
neko128
QUOTE (Big D)

Yes. In fact, I've always assumed they did... At least on the effects of magic on the "real world", not necessarily including math problems unless you're hermetic. Shamans, obviously, are typically too high to do the math.

"How long before the trains meet?"
"Orange."
"But... That isn't a time! It's a color!"
"No it's not, dude! It's how the time tastes!"
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Tarantula)
As well as the jet motorcycle that could go mach 3+

...just watch out for that rock in the road.

Hey kids, what time is it?

...it's spatula time! grinbig.gif
Big D
SPATULA CITY!*

*We've got spatulas--and that's all!
Bira
My take on it is: it doesn't cause you to disintegrate from the sheer speed, or increase collision damage, but it would make tricky maneuvering more difficult. So don't try it when already doing 120kph on a heavy traffic zone.

On contexts where maneuvering isn't an issue, I wouldn't be surprised if the way suborbitals actually worked is by having a bound elemental propel the thing through Movement. It'd make air travel a lot cheaper, besides being a cool atmospheric bit of setting.
Kyoto Kid
...the Marathon Precision™ employs Slipstream Injsction Boost®. In effect the shape of the craft itself is it's hypersonic to orbital transition engine. Think of it as the ultimate afterburner.
Bira
Well, I know how a ramjet works, but I imagine at least someone would have the idea of using a cheaper plane and some magical assistence. As I said, it would make for a nice bit of color and a plot hook or two.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Bira)
Well, I know how a ramjet works, but I imagine at least someone would have the idea of using a cheaper plane and some magical assistence. As I said, it would make for a nice bit of color and a plot hook or two.

It has been a point of open speculation since First Edition: Why do suborbitals even exist? You've been able to outrun them with 757s and spirit movement since at least 2050.

We know that DocWagon ambulances take advantage of this, but noone has really come up with a great explanation for why suborbital transport happens.

-Frank
Fortune
Could have something to do with insurance. Spirit Aid might be considered unreliable for the purposes of passenger transit.
Adarael
Cheap game hack I've put on all my games since forever: spirits can only affect their force x 50 in cubic meters of space with the movement power. Technically they can affect any whole 'unit', but that opened up the precise issue that Frank mentions. Here's exactly what I do:

Calculate volume of object to be affected. Divide by 50. This is the force of the movement power that must be used. We shall call it X.
Determine the force of the movement power being used. It is Y.
Subtract X from Y. The result is Z.
Z is the maximum number of multipliers that can be placed on the object.

An example.
We want to make a super-707 aircraft that goes wang fast. It has a volume of about 456 cubic meters (length of 41.25m, radius of 1.875m, plus some wings). Dividing by 50 we discover the result to be "9" once rounded off.
Joe the Shaman summons a force 12 spirit, because he wants to go fast. 12-9=3. The maximum multiplier that can be applied to speed is 3. The aircraft goes stupid fast.

With a force x 50 cubic meters limit, you need a force 1-2 spirit to snag a basic sedan, though force 1 can affect an average joe. This does allow for smaller vehicles and aircraft to be accellerated, but requires exponentially higher force spirits the bigger your vehicle is. A Ford Taurus would require a force 1 spirit, being only about 12 cubic meters of space. A 747 would require a spirit with over 250 force points, thus preserving the day for suborbitals and whatnot.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Bira)

...the concept is called "external burning"and differs from a conventional ramjet in that it uses the shock wave created by the aircraft as the "engine".

Even a spirit assisted spaceplane still has to withstand the heat of hypersonic friction with the air and re-entry along with the associated stress factors. The materials alone will make it an expensive bird.

And let's just say for the sake of argument, a rogue Lion Shaman banishes the spirit lifting the plane into the suborbital reaches. Suddenly, with no (or inadequate) engines to provide enough thrust for maintaining stability and attitude control in the rarefied atmosphere of suborbital space the plane is pretty much doomed. Remember what happened to Chuck Yeager when he took that rocket assisted F-104 to the fringe of space & had no engine thrust when the rockets were spent? It's called a deep flat spin. The only way to save your bacon is to punch out which I do not think would be an option on a passenger carrying aerospacecraft.

Agreed on the plot hook though, it does make for an interesting slant: magoterrorism.
hyzmarca
Let's just say, for a sake of argument, that a rogue Lion Shaman shoots the plane with a shoulder-launched Surface-to-Air missile.

As magical hazards to airplanes go, the banishing of assisting spirits is a rather small hazard compared to everything else that can go wrong. Hell, any half-assed bocor can just have a spirit possess the pilot and fly the plane into the WTC. A full-assed bocor can have a spirit possess the plane and fly it into the WTC.

Really, you have to take some risks.

An overcast fireball can potentially take down a airplane, but so can a SAM.
Matsu Kurisu
Many thanks all

@Adarael

My GM and I were just talking about a similar house rule.
Thanks for working the numbers smile.gif
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
As magical hazards to airplanes go, the banishing of assisting spirits is a rather small hazard compared to everything else that can go wrong. Hell, any half-assed bocor can just have a spirit possess the pilot and fly the plane into the WTC.  A full-assed bocor can have a spirit possess the plane and fly it into the WTC.

...the comment based on the "Cheaper Plane" ideal (e.g. the spirit powered 757 vs. a dedicated suborbital or spaceplane). This infers that the aircraft is totally dependent on the Spirit and not on technology to work properly. Put that 757 at 100,000M altitude and suddenly take it's spirit away (through banishing, spell, or astral combat). At that altitude its flight controls and engines would be totally useless and the fuselage would most likely succumb to catastrophic fatigue due to the extreme pressure differential.

Furthermore, messing with the spirit means no incoming bogey and no missile track to show up on sensors.

Of course this is in reference to suborbital altitude ops. I guess that 757 could fly at 14,000M but it would make on hell of a sonic boom traveling at double digit mach numbers.

As to possessing the pilot, that wouldn't necessarily work if the flight deck or cabin is warded.
kzt
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
I guess that 757 could fly at 14,000M but it would make on hell of a sonic boom traveling at double digit mach numbers.

No, you're doing physics again. I'm not even sure if it would show it's real speed or the movement speed to Doppler radar.
Big D
The reason for going suborbital is to dramatically reduce drag so that you can achieve high mach speeds without burning to a crisp from the friction (or wasting massive amounts of fuel if you somehow dump all of that heat).

The point is, with Movement, the widebody tools along at 30K' doing Mach 0.9 Newtonian, but "ground speed" could be 5-10 times as fast. Since nothing else is affected, it's not any louder, and the doppler (radar or sound as heard from the ground) wouldn't shift any farther than it would for something moving at M0.9, and there wouldn't be any sonic boom.

So, if you have regular, reliable spirits, there's no point in having suborbitals in the first place. However, that's too big a detail to omit; I have to assume that for some reason or other, there are not enough spirits to go around to do things like that, or it would have been mentioned repeatedly in descriptions of how economies and corps work.

And yet, such uses seem far more profitable than what passes for wagemage or even most corp combat mage duties. I've griped about that contradiction before, but I doubt it'll ever be resolved. Too much difference between what the rules allow and what the flavor requires.
Kyoto Kid
...I tell ya, ever since magic appeared, us physicists get no respect anymore. frown.gif

...now where's that darn cat...?
Jaid
who's to say they don't have spirits powering the suborbitals also?
Adarael
All of the data on suborbitals we've been given to date?
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Jaid)
who's to say they don't have spirits powering the suborbitals also?

...I got it...cyberzombies...legions upon legions of cyberzombies to disrupt the manasphere so science can once again reign supreme! vegm.gif

...Oh, Benson! I feel the power of evil coursing through my veins, filling every corner of my being with the desire to do wrong! I feel so bad, Benson!..."
--the Evil Genius form Time Bandits
Big D
... until somebody figures out that you can Inhabit a CZ (assuming it's possible, I didn't see an official response to that in an earlier thread). cyber.gif
Adarael
You can't inhabit a cyberzombie, you have to posess a cyberzombie. Because though dead, cyberzombies do have a spirit tied to them already.

And any posession attempt on a cyberzombie would be a very short-lived affair, owing both to the zombie's (un)natural karma hazing and the fact that the body would probably die soon after the original spirit was subsumed by the posessor.
hyzmarca
Any Possession ends up being a sort of Inhabitation because of the soul-cage keeping the Cyberzombie's spirit in also prevents possessing spirits from leaving.
Kyoto Kid
...so the mage actually perpetuates the situation by the possessing spirit keeping the CZ "alive".

...ahh the plot thickens. MWAHAHA! devil.gif

[edit]

...now back to our regularly scheduled topic...
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
As to possessing the pilot, that wouldn't necessarily work if the flight deck or cabin is warded.

I must point out that a warded cabin will also protect any spirit providing magical assistance to the plane. I must also point out tat a ward won't prevent a magician with LOS from blowing a wing off with a fireball.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Aug 15 2007, 12:40 AM)

I must point out that a warded cabin will also protect any spirit providing magical assistance to the plane. I must also point out tat a ward won't prevent a magician with LOS from blowing a wing off with a fireball.

...#! ionly if it bonded to the interior of the cabin. If it it outside the plane, it is outside the ward.

...#2 again messy and too visible, just like the SAM.
hyzmarca
Why wouldn't it be inside the cabin. It has no more logical reason to be outside the plane that the pilot does.
Kyoto Kid
...but wouldn't the ward interfere with use of its powers then?
hyzmarca
We can assume that ward creator is allowing these spirits to pass through the ward, with also allows their powers to pass through the ward.
They have LOS to the airplane everywhere inside the airplane and, more importantly, it would be difficult for them to keep up with the airplane if they were outside of it.
Kyoto Kid
...I thought all they had to do was physically touch the vehicle to use their powers on it. (e.g. an engine, control surface). Or am I thinking old edition SR again?

The thing is ad Big D pointed out, if Spirit assisted flight is so efficient, why do they then still have Suborbitals, HSCTs, and Semi Ballistics? Any corp that operated these would certainly have enough resources to pay mages to bind spirits to existing sub mach aircraft given the fact that physics and stress factors do not come into play. Heck by this token, an ATR 72 turboprop would be just as good as a Grande Concorde. There would be no reason to sink a half billion into the tech to build an SO or spaceplane

Years of physics study both in and out of a formal education setting still makes it hard to simply throw out every known law of inertia, motion, and mass becuse "its magic", even if it is for a game.

...which is one of the reasons I don't play mages.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012