Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stick n' Shock
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Ted Stewart
I'm playing a covert ops character who uses nonlethal takedowns, and after a little thought there's a lot of potential for abuse there. The Defiance taser is low range and low rate of fire, so the unusually high damage seems like a fair trade.

However, stick n' shock ammo damage is independent of the gun firing it. This allows you to put it in a light pistol like the Yamaha Fubuki or machine pistol and use burst or fully auto to do a lot of damage in a distressingly small package.

I initially thought that S&S would be useless when facing drones and the like, but electrical damage offsets that. Imagine what shooting a computer with a taser would do to it's components, and you're looking at a similar situation. I haven't checked the drone rules in a while, so please correct me if I'm mistakened on this.

Are there disadvantages to doing this, or is it just broken?

I suppose, at the same time, are there any advantages to using my Defiance taser when my Fubuki does the same damage at better range and is also SA?
Ol' Scratch
Compared to Tasers, yes, it's a great choice in practically every way except price and SS/SA modes.

Compared to Gel Rounds? Not that big of a difference depending on the weapon type, though it's definitely a better choice on smaller pistols. It's also more than 150% more expensive per shot.

Stick-n-Shock is nice, but it's not as game-breaking as a lot of people seem to make it out (and no, something being a bit better than cheaper alternatives is not any more game-breaking than an Armored Jacket vs. Armored Clothing or a Meta Link vs. a Fairlight Caliban commlink is).
Narmio
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree, Dr Funk.

I believe Stick n' Shock is broken for two reasons:

1) It is more powerful than equivalent lethal ammunition. I believe the choice to make a non-lethal takedown should be a hard one. Shadowrun is a gritty, hard world: you can either be effective or you can be humane.

2) Its independence from weapon type allows assault-rifle scale damage in a machine pistol. This kind of destroys the correlation between the amount of scrutiny a guns-based character will be put through and the amount of damage he will be able to dish out. I believe if you can only bring a pistol past security, and the guards have SMGs, that's supposed to have an effect.

So it's not that it's directly overpowered in an absolute sense: it's very expensive, only slightly better than Ex-ex and easier to counter (Nonconductivity). The problems are that it destroys some other subtleties of gunplay in SR, while simultaneously blowing all other non-lethal takedown methods off the map.
Ranneko
QUOTE (Narmio)
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree, Dr Funk.

I believe Stick n' Shock is broken for two reasons:

1) It is more powerful than equivalent lethal ammunition. I believe the choice to make a non-lethal takedown should be a hard one. Shadowrun is a gritty, hard world: you can either be effective or you can be humane.

2) Its independence from weapon type allows assault-rifle scale damage in a machine pistol. This kind of destroys the correlation between the amount of scrutiny a guns-based character will be put through and the amount of damage he will be able to dish out. I believe if you can only bring a pistol past security, and the guards have SMGs, that's supposed to have an effect.

So it's not that it's directly overpowered in an absolute sense: it's very expensive, only slightly better than Ex-ex and easier to counter (Nonconductivity). The problems are that it destroys some other subtleties of gunplay in SR, while simultaneously blowing all other non-lethal takedown methods off the map.

With regards to 1, this is actually the case with most non-lethal take down methods in SR, until the errata, gel bullets were more damaging than normal ammo, and stun bolt is easier than mana bolt.

2 Is a problem.

Almost tempted to come up with some handwavy stuff along the lines of it uses the lower of the two damage values, the problem is justification.
Ol' Scratch
1. If it didn't exist, the same complaint would be made against Gel Rounds. Or APDS ammo. Or EX Explosive ammo. Or the doubtlessly upcoming Capsule Rounds. Or some other ammo type of choice that's better than Regular ammo. Stick-n-Shock is just getting the brunt of the "hate" because it's one of the better -- albeit significantly more expensive -- options. Especially for an automatic weapon. If you feel your game isn't gritty and hard enough because players are using nothing but Stick-n-Shock, tone down the amount of free cash you're distributing, give opponents more Nonconductive modified armor, and/or just say 'no.'

If nothing else, it gives players a reason to select a less conspicuous weapon, assuming they choose their gear based on "what gives me the most pluses." Hold-Out/Light/Machine Pistols are all really pathetic choices unless the GM cooks up a contrived reason otherwise, or has weapon checks be a serious concern way too often. In which case does it matter that they're doing good damage at all?

2. Steyr TMP with Stick-n-Shock vs. Ares Alpha with APDS. One is 6S(e) damage with -half AP (usually equal to -1 to -3 on typical opponents), one is 6P with -5 AP (completely ignoring armor or being about the same as the former on typical opponents). One is affected negatively by Nonconductive armor, the other ignores it completely. One bounces off walls, one shoots through walls. One has no integral recoil compensation, the other has two points for free not including the stock. At best one can have 3 points of recoil compensation without external mods, the other can have 6. One is stuck with those stats without getting signifcantly worse, the other can use the same ammo as the former and still get all the recoil perks. Feel free to switch the second weapon with an SMG and/or use some other good ammo choice like EX Explosive.

How exactly is the former option equal to or better than the latter in all situations again? I can't quite figure it out.

EDIT: And as an aside, the Machine Pistols in SR4 are just slightly smaller SMGs as far as I can tell as opposed to an automatic pistol, and I don't know much of anything firearms. So your comparison of a runner with a Machine Pistol being nearly equal to a guard with an SMG isn't really that big of a difference as far as believability goes. Least not for me. Especially since the former is merely incapacitating a guard whereas the guards are actually killing you.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Ted Stewart)
Are there disadvantages to doing this, or is it just broken?

Just ask your GM if he's ok with a full auto taser with the range and capacity of a machine pistol.
If that's fine with him, it's not broken.
fumble
Well, if you ever thought that Stick'n'Shock needs fixing, a quick and easy way would be to state that the number of hits on your firearms roll does not add to the amount of damage.

That way, targets would take 6 damages top - the only way to improve the effect is to call shots to bypass armor further.

However, a short burst with 3 s'n's would mean 3 different soak tests, instead of adding +2 to the damage.

That way, a S'n'S long burst could really bring something biggish down, but it would be quite expensive, and a long burst of regular ammo would be just as effective...

I suppose it needs to be tested...
Anyway, just a thought.

Cheers,
Fumble.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Aug 16 2007, 04:09 AM)
Just ask your GM if he's ok with a full auto taser with the range and capacity of a machine pistol.
If that's fine with him, it's not broken.

Then ask him if he's okay with a Club that negates half a person's armor, does more damage in most people's hands than said Club, and does taser damage. If he's okay with that, then a Stun Baton isn't broken. Then ask him the same thing about an Unarmed Strike. If he's okay with that, too, then a Stun Glove isn't broken. Then ask him if it's okay that the former is better than the latter. If he's okay with that, then the Stun Baton still isn't broken.

(OMFG! You mean some choices are better than others?!? And OMFGx2! There's a similar theme amongst stun weapons in the game?!? Holy cow. And double yowza when you ignore all the other little details that should be going into consideration, too, like price, availability, and legality.)

If that's not good enough for you, we can keep going. Ask if it's okay that there's a Commlink that's better in all ways to the Meta Link. If he's okay with that, the customized Fairlight Caliban isn't broken. Ask if he's okay with a Stunbolt that affects an entire group of people. If he's okay with that, then Stunball isn't broken. Ask if he's okay with there being armor that's nearly twice as good as Armored Clothing. If he's okay with that, then Armored Jackets aren't broken. Blah blah blah.
Blade
If full auto taser with the range of a machine pistols are considered a dangerous threat by security forces, they'll soon install nonconductive options on all uniforms, if they think the price is worth it (and I think it is).
l33tpenguin
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Then ask him if he's okay with a Club that negates half a person's armor, does more damage in most people's hands than said Club, and does taser damage. If he's okay with that, then a Stun Baton isn't broken. Then ask him the same thing about an Unarmed Strike. If he's okay with that, too, then a Stun Glove isn't broken. Then ask him if it's okay that the former is better than the latter. If he's okay with that, then the Stun Baton still isn't broken.

If a stun baton or glove was capable of fully automatic fire, had the range of an assault rifle, and was capable of engaging multiple targets in a single attack then, yes, I would question it. As such, would you really ever use anything else? Melee weapons become nicely balanced when they can be more powerful than ranged weapons, since you have to be in melee range to use them.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (l33tpenguin @ Aug 16 2007, 04:32 AM)
If a stun baton or glove was capable of fully automatic fire, had the range of an assault rifle, and was capable of engaging multiple targets in a single attack then, yes, I would question it.  As such, would you really ever use anything else?  Melee weapons become nicely balanced when they can be more powerful than ranged weapons, since you have to be in melee range to use them.

It flew right past your head.

The point is -- dun da da dun! -- there are weapons that are superior in practically all ways compared to other weapons in the same basic category. A Club vs. a Stun Baton -- both Reach 1 Clubs -- is a perfect example of this. If you're choosing weapons based purely on their stats, which is the entire point of all this, then there's no reason to pick a Club at all unless you have amped your Strength way way way up, to the point where you're not only doing 6S with the club, but overcompensating to get past the electrical damage and the AP bonus the Stun Baton provides.

And those are two weapons in exactly the same category! Unlike Tasers and Machine Pistols with Stick-n-Shock ammo. It's also ignoring all the secondary traits which, again, include price, legality, and availability. Which are pretty much the only reason there ever is to pick an inferior type of item over a better one.

You may as well be complaining that people choose Light Pistols over Hold-Out Pistols. Or that people choose a Katana instead of a Sword. Some differences are minor but still there, others are more noticeable. That doesn't change the basic concept.

And, also again, if Stick-n-Shock ammo didn't exist, people would find some other ammo type/weapon to complain about because they, too, were obviously better choices than other options. Be it an SMG with APDS ammo vs. an Assault Rifle with Regular, an Assault Rifle vs. a Light Machine Gun, or the aforementioned Club vs. Stun Baton.

Nevermind that you actually do have an option.
Rotbart van Dainig
<The Straw Man's Army march>
[...]when you ignore all the other little details that should be going into consideration, too, like price, availability, and legality.

Actually, the details for the examples you listed aren't those. They are technical restictions like limited 'ammo' versus non-limited, etc.
Price, availability and legality are pretty much trivial differences for Runners. If you break into a facility, shoot people up and steal stuff on a regular, what gun you use is second tier.

The issue with S&S is that is has the same range... same range means same speed, and same speed means that the projectle goes from LTL to L. And if you remove propellant to fix that, your gun won't autorepeat... exept for the YSF.
Ol' Scratch
That or the round isn't at all aerodynamic, or it converts some of the energy into its charge, combines impact with a charge for the net effect, or whatever other bullshit reasoning you want to come up with for a fictional type of ammo.

Love how it's gone from being metagame issues to reality-based ones, though.

But since we're now changing the topic completely on a whim, I choose to bring inthe Trauma Damper. Silly implant reduces a Stick-n-Shock hit by one box, but if you did the same thing with an assault rifle it'd only move one box to Stun from Physical! How absurd is that. ohplease.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
or whatever other bullshit reasoning you want to come up with for a fictional type of ammo.

Sure. 'Phasers set to stun' is what everyone wants in SR.

Love how it's gone from being metagame issues to reality-based ones, though.

Just an example for similar technical restriction to 'stun batons have 10 charges'.
toturi
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
<The Straw Man's Army march>
[...]when you ignore all the other little details that should be going into consideration, too, like price, availability, and legality.

Actually, the details for the examples you listed aren't those. They are technical restictions like limited 'ammo' versus non-limited, etc.
Price, availability and legality are pretty much trivial differences for Runners. If you break into a facility, shoot people up and steal stuff on a regular, what gun you use is second tier.

The issue with S&S is that is has the same range... same range means same speed, and same speed means that the projectle goes from LTL to L. And if you remove propellant to fix that, your gun won't autorepeat... exept for the YSF.

You are using real world mechanics in a fictional make believe virtual world. Free. Your. Mind.

What are the opposition in your games? Are they RAW? If they are, then I see no reason why S&S are any more powerful than any other type of ammo. You pay for the quality, you get the result. And I agree with Funk and I do not agree that his argument is a straw man argument. Price, availablity and legality are important factors if you do it by the RAW.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (toturi)
You are using real world mechanics in a fictional make believe virtual world.

No. See above.

QUOTE (toturi)
What are the opposition in your games? Are they RAW? If they are, then I see no reason why S&S are any more powerful than any other type of ammo.

Then point me a RAW Grunt that is euipped with armor with Nonconductivity upgrade.

QUOTE (toturi)
You pay for the quality, you get the result.

So ExEx from a light pistol is better than S&S?

QUOTE (toturi)
Price, availablity and legality are important factors if you do it by the RAW.

Yes, that totally explains why ExEx is superior to S&S... after all it costs more, is harder to get and illegal. sarcastic.gif
l33tpenguin
Sorry about missing your point earlier, doc. its been a long night

To be fair, S&S ammunition does have one massive flaw, non conductive armor. It renders the ammunition worthless, am I correct? So, if, as a GM, you find your players abusing S&S ammunition, just start issuing your NPCs nonconductive armor. If your gun bunny brought nothing but S&S out with him, he is is going to be worthless as he will be incapable of inflicting any damage. If he claims it unrealistic that everyone is running around with nonconnductive armor, just explain that security forces have been having it issued ever since there had been a string of jobs lately where the runners were using S&S

While, ya, sure, it can be over powered, it can also be totally nullified (unless of course I'm mistaken about nonconductive armor, in which case, ignore this post) nyahnyah.gif
Blade
IIRC Nonconductive armor adds its rating to the damage resistance test... which is good but not that good
toturi
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Aug 16 2007, 07:17 PM)
QUOTE (toturi)
You are using real world mechanics in a fictional make believe virtual world.

No. See above.

QUOTE (toturi)
What are the opposition in your games? Are they RAW? If they are, then I see no reason why S&S are any more powerful than any other type of ammo.

Then point me a RAW Grunt that is euipped with armor with Nonconductivity upgrade.

QUOTE (toturi)
You pay for the quality, you get the result.

So ExEx from a light pistol is better than S&S?

QUOTE (toturi)
Price, availablity and legality are important factors if you do it by the RAW.

Yes, that totally explains why ExEx is superior to S&S... after all it costs more, is harder to get and illegal. sarcastic.gif

Yes. Because the Stun Baton "ammo" rule is a Shadowrun rule. It is only because you see it as fitting into your preconcieved notion of reality that it seems that way. Therefore, yes.

No need for non-conductive. 3 words. Full Body Armor on Red Samurai or Tir Ghosts and you got to fill up all of their CMs, unless the GM thinks that "mission parameters" dictate otherwise. For most of the other Grunts, S&S is simply overkill.

So is a S&S better than EX-EX from a Panther XXL? If you spend 15 BPs for Magician and install cyberware till you burn out, does that mean that Magician is worse than cyberware? If you insist on being wasteful, then be my guest.

EX-EX is better. See EX-EX Panther XXL. Afterall, it kills you dead.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (toturi)
It is only because you see it as fitting into your preconcieved notion of reality that it seems that way.

No. It's a technical restriction beyond availability, etc.

QUOTE (toturi)
No need for non-conductive. 3 words. Full Body Armor.

You do realize that the more armor you wear, the better S&S gets per RAW?

QUOTE (toturi)
So is a S&S better than EX-EX from a Panther XXL?

Assault cannons use special ammuniton only per RAW.
Both ExEx and S&S can be fired from a light Pistol. Please compare.

QUOTE (toturi)
Afterall, it kills you dead.

That makes it usually the worse choise.
toturi
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Aug 16 2007, 08:42 PM)
QUOTE (toturi)
It is only because you see it as fitting into your preconcieved notion of reality that it seems that way.

No. It's a technical restriction beyond availability, etc.

QUOTE (toturi)
No need for non-conductive. 3 words. Full Body Armor.

You do realize that the more armor you wear, the better S&S gets per RAW?

QUOTE (toturi)
So is a S&S better than EX-EX from a Panther XXL?

Assault cannons use special ammuniton only per RAW.
Both ExEx and S&S can be fired from a light Pistol. Please compare.

QUOTE (toturi)
Afterall, it kills you dead.

That makes it usually the worse choise.

It is still a game mechanic, in addition to availability, etc.

Yes, but who are wearing them? And those are just the Grunts. Prime Runners aren't included yet.

They can fire special S&S and special EX-EX then. Nothing in the XXL description says that they cannot. But alright, the Ultimax HMG can fire both SS and EXEX. Please compare.

Actually it is the better choice. It doesn't really matter for grunts but it kicks in for Prime Runners. If the GM HOG the NPC, then he burns all Edge for the NPC.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (toturi)

Indeed. One that limit's the power after you got it.

QUOTE (toturi)
But alright, the Ultimax HMG can fire both SS and EXEX. Please compare.

And that factors into the low-cost, easy-hidden, semi-legal weapon sector how?

QUOTE (toturi)
Yes, but who are wearing them? And those are just the Grunts. Prime Runners aren't included yet.
[...]
It doesn't really matter for grunts but it kicks in for Prime Runners.

Per RAW, grunts are the usual encounter, lieutnants are special, and Prime Runners are rare.
So the point remains.
toturi
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Aug 16 2007, 09:19 PM)
QUOTE (toturi)

Indeed. One that limit's the power after you got it.

QUOTE (toturi)
But alright, the Ultimax HMG can fire both SS and EXEX. Please compare.

And that factors into the low-cost, easy-hidden, semi-legal weapon sector how?

QUOTE (toturi)
[...]
It doesn't really matter for grunts but it kicks in for Prime Runners.

Per RAW, grunts are the usual encounter, lieutnants are special, and Prime Runners are rare.
So the point remains.

So? It is not the only limit.

And that factors into the "Use the appropriate ammo for the appropriate weapon for the appropriate situation". Also it depends on the Perception threshold value that the GM assigns the weapon/s. Unfortuately, there are no canon weapon examples in the Perception Test Thresholds.

Yes and it doesn't matter what you use to get rid of the grunts! The grunts that do care about you using SS will run away whether you use SS or not. It's overkill. If you encounter the other grunts, you got bigger problems than SS is going to able to solve. The point remains.
Big D
I guess I shouldn't mention what you can do with a AGL loaded with stun grenades...
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (toturi)
It is not the only limit.

It's the only limit if you actuall use said gear.

QUOTE (toturi)
And that factors into the "Use the appropriate ammo for the appropriate weapon for the appropriate situation".

Not, that factor into: load the YSF always with S&S.

QUOTE (toturi)
Also it depends on the Perception threshold value that the GM assigns the weapon/s. Unfortuately, there are no canon weapon examples in the Perception Test Thresholds.

Actually, there are Perception Tests modifiers for weapon size.

QUOTE (toturi)
Yes and it doesn't matter what you use to get rid of the grunts!

Sure it does. Faster is better.
stevebugge
Our group had issues with stick & shock ammo, we compensated by making it only available as a shotgun round. Solved a lot of problems.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (stevebugge)
Our group had issues with stick & shock ammo, we compensated by making it only available as a shotgun round. Solved a lot of problems.

I did the same thing.
FriendoftheDork
I reduced the base damage of SS to 4. (Like serbitar). The strange thing is that the players still chose SS over other ammo when appropriate (when they don't want to kill someone as opposed to just remove threats asap), but it means tasers are used alot as well.

FYI I've nerfed Flechette, EX-EX, EX, Gel ammo as well. Otherwise I agree EX-EX is even more overpowered than SS.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork)
FYI I've nerfed Flechette, EX-EX, EX, Gel ammo as well. Otherwise I agree EX-EX is even more overpowered than SS

...weren't Flechette and EXEX already nerfed by the FAQ?

Gel rounds are fine the way they are.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork)
FYI I've nerfed Flechette, EX-EX, EX, Gel ammo as well.

..more than the Errata v1.5?
Ted Stewart
Special ammo was a significant problem prior to errattaing it. A Warhawk with EX-EX ammo was 20% weaker than a Panther XXL, could be concealed, and was much much cheaper in terms of both the weapon itself and the ammo. The only real downside was the range difference.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, the downside to flechettes was almost perfectly offset by using I instead of B armour. This made the Viper Slivergun disgustingly powerful.

However, the erratta has now made EX, EX-EX, Gel, and flechette ammo much less powerful. It didn't touch SnS, which really makes SnS more powerful in relation.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Ted Stewart)
Special ammo was a significant problem prior to errattaing it.  A Warhawk with EX-EX ammo was 20% weaker than a Panther XXL, could be concealed, and was much much cheaper in terms of both the weapon itself and the ammo.  The only real downside was the range difference.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, the downside to flechettes was almost perfectly offset by using I instead of B armour.  This made the Viper Slivergun disgustingly powerful.

However, the erratta has now made EX, EX-EX, Gel, and flechette ammo much less powerful.  It didn't touch SnS, which really makes SnS more powerful in relation.

...Yeah KK was pretty bad ass with that combo: 8DV / -4AP. Turned her revolvers into true hand cannons.

My character Violet gave up the Slivergun when flechettes were changed. She now packs a Hammerli with S&S and a Fabuki with EXEX.

Actually Gel is still +2DV / +2 AP the last time I checked.
Rotbart van Dainig
Check again.
Kyoto Kid
...apparently all the links to the "official" site (where FAQ 1.5 was posted) have been broken.

Keep getting URL error 404
Rotbart van Dainig
Here.
Kyoto Kid
Here.

...thanks.

I believe that is the way I have been playing them all along. Don't have my books at hand right now (at work) so I am not sure what the 3rd & 4th lines of text were that were replaced. I'll have to check when I get home.
Seven-7
Oi, for all you guys using the word 'RAW: RAW, Rules As Written, pertains to specific rules that are not optional (In theory, GM choice is the final decider). So, the Variant rules listed after, say, Edge, are not RAW. They are optional. Nor do most Theme based writtens count! The acronym shouldn't be thrown around for every little thing you pick up from the books text to prove points.

Ok well, use it how you wish, but that was originally the use of the term.

And no, I don't think SnS is broken. If somethings broken every player will grab it from the get go. I've yet to see one.
l33tpenguin
QUOTE (Seven-7)
Oi, for all you guys using the word 'RAW: RAW, Rules As Written, pertains to specific rules that are not optional (In theory, GM choice is the final decider). So, the Variant rules listed after, say, Edge, are not RAW. They are optional. Nor do most Theme based writtens count! The acronym shouldn't be thrown around for every little thing you pick up from the books text to prove points.

Ok well, use it how you wish, but that was originally the use of the term.

And no, I don't think SnS is broken. If somethings broken every player will grab it from the get go. I've yet to see one.

Thats not necessarily true. S&S are non lethal. A lot of players will 90% of the time never ever read anything listed as non lethal, regardless of how over powered it might be. Its still non lethal, and a lot of players will pick lethal over non lethal out of principal, just because their characters are supposed to be mindless killing machines. I've seen players that find the advantage to non lethal take downs. They would subdue their opponents, once they were all on the ground, they would walk up to them with a silenced heavy pistol and put a round between their eyes.
toturi
QUOTE (toturi)
It is not the only limit.

It's the only limit if you actuall use said gear.

QUOTE (toturi)
And that factors into the "Use the appropriate ammo for the appropriate weapon for the appropriate situation".

Not, that factor into: load the YSF always with S&S.

QUOTE (toturi)
Also it depends on the Perception threshold value that the GM assigns the weapon/s. Unfortuately, there are no canon weapon examples in the Perception Test Thresholds.

Actually, there are Perception Tests modifiers for weapon size.

QUOTE (toturi)
Yes and it doesn't matter what you use to get rid of the grunts!

Sure it does. Faster is better.

No, you have to factor in the other limits, because you have to get said gear to use it.

Load your YSF with SS. It could be appropriate ammo for appropriate weapon. But whether it is the appropriate weapon for the situation?

There are Perception Test modifiers, not Perception Test Thresholds, for weapon size. There is a difference.

No. As I said, overkill. If you take an average of 2 shots per Grunt with a APDS or EXEX or even a normal round, it will take average of also 2 shots per Grunt with a SS.
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork @ Aug 16 2007, 07:29 PM)
FYI I've nerfed Flechette, EX-EX, EX, Gel ammo as well.

..more than the Errata v1.5?

Some of it, yeah. Flechette are same as errata (but limited to double impact - leather armor providing +7 dice to resist is a but too much compared to 0 with nonarmored).

For Gel I use same as flechette.

EX-EX is +2DM, +1AP, EX is same except only +1DM. So worse than 1.5 I think but still usuable to get alot of damage.
Tarantula
A point that a few people are making is that SnS fired in a burst does 3 hits of 6S(e). This is incorrect. It replaces the weapons damage with the 6S(e). The burst rules still apply. So a short narrow burst with SnS does 8S(e).
Glyph
Stick-n-shock is relatively balanced, power-wise. The biggest problem that some people have with it is that it seems to make tasers worthless. But that assumes that tasers are meant to be on a par with stick-n-shock to begin with. If you look at the stats for tasers, you will see that they are very cheap, use cheaper ammo, and are not restricted like guns are. Tasers are less of a shadowrunner weapon, and more of a weapon for, say, a mall security guard.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (toturi)
No, you have to factor in the other limits, because you have to get said gear to use it.

That is binary - eitheryou have it, or not. It you got it, it's not a limit anymore.
And the 'limit' we are talking about for S&S is 'Go into the nearest store and buy it' - it's as regulated as regular ammo, but as good as illegal ammo.

QUOTE (toturi)
Load your YSF with SS. It could be appropriate ammo for appropriate weapon.

It always is for handguns, and that's the problem.

QUOTE (toturi)
There are Perception Test modifiers, not Perception Test Thresholds, for weapon size.

Indeed. Which by RAW means that one hit is enough.

QUOTE (toturi)
If you take an average of 2 shots per Grunt with a APDS or EXEX or even a normal round, it will take average of also 2 shots per Grunt with a SS.

Not for handguns.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Tarantula)
A point that a few people are making is that SnS fired in a burst does 3 hits of 6S(e).  This is incorrect.  It replaces the weapons damage with the 6S(e).  The burst rules still apply.  So a short narrow burst with SnS does 8S(e).

...I disagree. I don't see how extra rounds of S&S stage up the DV. S&S imparts an electrical charge preset in the ammo's design. If you hit someone with two taser rounds it is two separate taser rounds. Effectively S&S are taser rounds without the wires.

The staging up of kinetic rounds is based on the fact the bullets are causing damage by kinetic energy. By the phrase "sticks to the target", means that S&S does not cause any kinetic damage and only delivers the electrical charge.

On the question I had about Gel rounds, I looked over the description in the Core rules with regard to the updated errata. So, apparently it no longer adds the +2 to the weapon's DV, correct?
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork)
Some of it, yeah. Flechette are same as errata (but limited to double impact - leather armor providing +7 dice to resist is a but too much compared to 0 with nonarmored).

I use the same rule, except I consider it more a modification to the AP rules than flechette. I go with, "Positive AP modifiers can not more than double armor values." It almost never matters, but those rare times when it does come up (i.e. flechette vs very lightly armored opponents) I really like the effects.
toturi
QUOTE (toturi)

That is binary - eitheryou have it, or not. It you got it, it's not a limit anymore.
And the 'limit' we are talking about for S&S is 'Go into the nearest store and buy it' - it's as regulated as regular ammo, but as good as illegal ammo.

QUOTE (toturi)
Load your YSF with SS. It could be appropriate ammo for appropriate weapon.

It always is for handguns, and that's the problem.

QUOTE (toturi)
There are Perception Test modifiers, not Perception Test Thresholds, for weapon size.

Indeed. Which by RAW means that one hit is enough.

QUOTE (toturi)
If you take an average of 2 shots per Grunt with a APDS or EXEX or even a normal round, it will take average of also 2 shots per Grunt with a SS.

Not for handguns.

So? You still have to go get it. If you only look at a limited picture, sure it is no longer a limit, but if you look at the entire supply chain, it remains so.

It is the same for Stunbolt vs Manabolt. The limit is you can get 4 times the regular ammo for the weapon if you loaded it in regular.

No. It is not. Pain Editor Prime Runner is one example.

Obvious is when you are using the gun. Obscured is when you are hiding it under your jacket. 3 hits.

Perhaps it is so at smaller dice pools than my group is used to. Still, it is a matter of using the proper ammo for the proper weapon.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (toturi)
You still have to go get it.

It's still a R item, so you can get it from WeaponsWorld... not bad for ammo that is better than illegal ExEx.

QUOTE (toturi)
The limit is you can get 4 times the regular ammo for the weapon if you loaded it in regular.

But less APDS/ExEx. Per that reasoning, those should be better for handguns.

QUOTE (toturi)
Obvious is when you are using the gun. Obscured is when you are hiding it under your jacket.

So there are RAW thresholds? nyahnyah.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...I disagree. I don't see how extra rounds of S&S stage up the DV.

Then RAW disagrees with you. wink.gif
Kyoto Kid
...I didn't see anything specific regarding S&S and Burst/Autotfire.
Rotbart van Dainig
And thus, it uses the normal rules.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012