Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Return of Wordman's Character Sheets
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
RobertB
Looks like someone picked up the torch and recreated Wordman's style for a series of SR4 character sheets. Take a look towards the middle of the list.

http://www.rpgsheets.com/cgi-bin/arcdb.cgi?action=pop

Robert
noonesshowmonkey
Nice.

- der menkey

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
~ Ernest Hemmingway
farrenj
QUOTE (noonesshowmonkey)
Nice.

- der menkey

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
~ Ernest Hemmingway

Agreed. Very nice.
Larsine
Except for the "PHYSTICAL" damage track frown.gif

Lars
Jhaiisiin
Guess I wasn't the only one doing this. Nightwatchman's sheets look quite nice. I myself had worked with the Wordman directly on this. Here's the link to the current version I'd put together with his permission.

SR4 Sheets V1.1
Larsine
QUOTE (Jhaiisiin)
Guess I wasn't the only one doing this.  Nightwatchman's sheets look quite nice.

But yours look nicer wink.gif
QUOTE (Jhaiisiin)

I myself had worked with the Wordman directly on this.  Here's the link to the current version I'd put together with his permission.

SR4 Sheets V1.1

Permissions are alwasy nice, just to make sure you don't piss people off.

But under weapons you have Cncl, which can only mean Concealability, which is no longer based on the individual weapon, but rather on the weapon type according to SR4 page 302.

Lars
Jhaiisiin
QUOTE ("Larsine")
Permissions are alwasy nice, just to make sure you don't piss people off.

Ain't that the truth. I didn't want to take credit for his work, which is why I contacted him. I'm just lucky he never changed his email address. LOL

And true that the conceal is a bonus/negative based on the weapon type, and yet it's still info my GM has nailed me with. That damned +6 to Assault Rifles kicks my butt every time. wink.gif

Out of curiosity, would you prefer something else there? I'm all for feedback on this. Figure that I want these to be as complete as the originals were, and that can only happen with community feedback.
Dashifen
Honestly, I love having conceal there; That way when I ask someone what it is, they can just tell me and I don't have to memorize the chart. The only other thing that might go there would be the normal dice pool for the weapon. That way, the GM can just tell the person how many dice to remove from their pool and they can just look on their sheet to know how much dice they roll.

Kyoto Kid
...these are nice and comprehensive, but are still limited to paper and pencil. I would like to see an electronic character sheet that can be filled in and updated on a laptop. Is there anything out there like that?
Dashifen
Check out the program PDFX Viewer. It's a program that will let you type information onto any PDF. It's also very handy to mark what sections of a the rulebooks have errata or, depending on the errata, just cross out existing information and type the errata in the margins.

It should let you fill in sheets on screen and save the information. I've never tried printing such a sheet, though, so I'm not sure if the annotations will print out or not. I'd expect them to, but expectations don't always get met.

Edit: I just tried to print a sheet; it works fine.
Kyoto Kid
...have the latest update of PDF Reader. It let's me put a cursor on the lines but will not echo any of the text I type.
Dashifen
If you mean Adobe's PDF Reader, the cursor you speak of is used to copy text out of the PDF and into another file. PDFX Viewer is not from Adobe and a completely different program from it. Not sure if that's what you meant, though.
farrenj
Hmm.. I do much prefer the damage track on the first ones, even if it's a phystical damage track instead of a physical damage track.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Dashifen)
If you mean Adobe's PDF Reader, the cursor you speak of is used to copy text out of the PDF and into another file. PDFX Viewer is not from Adobe and a completely different program from it. Not sure if that's what you meant, though.

...yes it is Adobe Reader as I do not have PDFX Viewer.
Fortune
Dash gave you the link for the viewer above, so that you could do the things that you wished. I'll give it to you again ...

PDFX Viewer

smile.gif
Kyoto Kid
...thanks, didn't realise it was freeware. Have been given links to software that I had to purchase before downloading and not being of the plastic money crowd, I'm unable to make purchases online (which is why I wish they Game Shops would be able to sell PDF versions of game books).
Fortune
I don't use plastic either. There's alway PayPal for those special occasions though. If you are really paranoid, just set up a totally separate bank account to attach to it, and only put the proper amount in when you make a purchase. wink.gif
Kyoto Kid
...yeah, I don't have one of those either (bank accounts) after I realised the customer now serves the bank instead of the other way around, and you never know from week to week which bank you are even dealing with.

Hell I remember having an 8.25% passbook savings account, paying nothing for Money Orders, Drafts Certified Bank Cheques, or Traveller's Cheques, and being able to talk to a real teller without paying a fee.

Thank GW senior and his buddy Charles Keating for the impersonal profit driven mess banking is today.
Jhaiisiin
QUOTE (farrenj)
Hmm.. I do much prefer the damage track on the first ones, even if it's a phystical damage track instead of a physical damage track.

I'm actually working on figuring ways to put more of the tracks there, either as the book-style tracks, or what not. I think I'll also create separate versions of the Front pages for those people who take the low pain tolerance flaw which reduces you to taking hits ever 2 boxes instead of 3.

I also noticed I forgot the overflow boxes. I'll have them in the next version. Used them a lot this past run. LOL
RobertB
Jhaiisiin, can I ask what program you're using to develop these, and if you'd be willing to share the source files (for private modification, not for distribution)?

Robert
Jhaiisiin
Using MS Pub for the original creation, and exporting into Adobe Acrobat for the final product. I chose Pub because I could make the text boxes independent of each other and move/copy/past/resize them *really* easily. Originally I had made some sheets in Word, but the lack of malleability upset me.

As to the source file release, I sent you a PM.
Jhaiisiin
Version 1.2 is up. Couple of minor changes, but fairly important in some cases.

Next revision might be pretty major in that I'm thinking of bringing the base font size down a step to 9pt font, which is what Wordman used originally. (I didn't realize it until I'd created nearly a dozen pages). If I do that, it'll leave more room for stuff on the pages, but obviously leave less physical writing room for people. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. What would people prefer?
Kyoto Kid
...@Fortune. Thanks for the link to PDFX Viewer. Works Beautifully. spin.gif

[edit]

...@Dashifen, Belated thanks for the link. embarrassed.gif
Fortune
That's great, but the thanks really should go to Dashifen. smile.gif
Jhaiisiin
Version 1.3 is completed and uploaded. As before, send me any feedback if there's anything you'd see as necessary. smile.gif

EDIT: I've created a shadowrun page for me to host this at. It'll be found at the URL below. I'll do any updates there so I'm not constantly bumping an old thread. Once the board issues are fixed, I'll put a link to this in my sig.

Jhaiisiin's Shadowrun Page
Danthrall
I think that there should be a place dedicated on each sheet for a commlink, as well. Not everyone in 2070 may have a vehicle, but you're not gonna get funny looks if you don't. You will if you don't have a commlink, though. Just my two nuyen's worth.
The Jopp
QUOTE (Danthrall)
I think that there should be a place dedicated on each sheet for a commlink, as well. Not everyone in 2070 may have a vehicle, but you're not gonna get funny looks if you don't. You will if you don't have a commlink, though. Just my two nuyen's worth.

Who says the commlink is gonna be visible, trendy or worn? The rating one commlinks are hardly worth noting down as they have piddly attributes and probably only used for payments and identification. Nor do people always give out any information so the only time you might get a funny look is if they actually want to see the commlink in question.

Still, a separate cheet for a hardware like commlinks, programs and drones (who share many similar attributes in term of signal, hardware and software) migh be useful.
NightWatchman
Hey all. NightWatchman here.

Thanks for thinking my sheets are good.

I am attaching the Microsoft Publisher File to this post.
I am doing this in hopes to keep Wordman's Sheets alive and improve and add new sheets.

Thanks All

Most of all Wordman for a beginning.
Download
NightWatchman
Hey all I posted my new sheet with my friend Mr. Johnson.
Below Link:
Credstick Corporation Blog

Please Thank Wordman and Catalyst Gaming Lab
NightWatchman
NightWatchman v6.5

Credstick Corporation Blog No Longer Valid

Changed Font and Reduced PDF

Please Thank Wordman and Catalyst Gaming Lab
Dashifen
NightWatchman, do you know of anyway to convert the publisher file into a PDF file with form fields? Or, is there a way in publisher to export pages? I'd like to use the publisher file to create pre-gens for characters that I'll be using at Fear the Con, and the easiest way would be to make two-page sheets from the various pages within the publisher file.

NightWatchman
QUOTE (Dashifen @ Feb 23 2008, 04:29 AM) *
NightWatchman, do you know of anyway to convert the publisher file into a PDF file with form fields? Or, is there a way in publisher to export pages? I'd like to use the publisher file to create pre-gens for characters that I'll be using at Fear the Con, and the easiest way would be to make two-page sheets from the various pages within the publisher file.

Dashifen,

In the v6.5 version of my publisher file, I used Courier New as the new font.
It is a font that is available in about every Operating System.
This font allows you to export the PUB as a PDF if you have an application like Adobe Acrobat.

Within Adobe Acrobat you can create the form fields you wish.

That would very very cool to know my sheets are being used at a CON.
NightWatchman
QUOTE (NightWatchman @ Feb 23 2008, 06:56 PM) *
Dashifen,

In the v6.5 version of my publisher file, I used Courier New as the new font.
It is a font that is available in about every Operating System.
This font allows you to export the PUB as a PDF if you have an application like Adobe Acrobat.

Within Adobe Acrobat you can create the form fields you wish.

That would very very cool to know my sheets are being used at a CON.

Dashifen,

I have made a form fillable version of my 6.5 PDF. I have left it unlocked so you can edit the fields to your liking. Again this is a real quick workup so the fields might need some spacing changes.

I have posted it on the Credstick Corporation Blog

Oh and please let them know where you got it if you use it at a CON, I can make other custom sheets if people would like.
Just Email Mr. Johnson at Credstick.Corporation@gmail.com
He will get ahold of me smile.gif
Dashifen
I've been using your sheets since you first "released" them as updates to Wordman's for SR4. But for electronic copies, I always used sheets by a different member, Mintcar, because he put together PDF forms early, but I've never liked his sheets as much as yours and Wordmans. There was a to much black on the page.

That being said .... YOU ROCK! What you provided is essentially exactly what I was looking for (at first glance). The only suggestion I have, and I have no experience doing these things, is to work on the tab order. For example, on page 1 of that PDF, under weapons, if I highlight the first field in the table and click tab, the focus moves down one row to the first field in the second row of the table. Usually, forms work across the row and then move onto the next row in tab order.

Rest assured that I will be using these sheets probably for years to come -- until someone (including yourself) releases better ones.

Incidentally, I like the Courier font much better than the earlier versions. More clear and more readable, especially on the screen.

notworthy.gif
Dashifen
A nitpick, but does anyone know how to change the default font size in Acrobat? It prints out a little small. It's good on the screen (cause you can zoom in greater than 100%) but it's rough on the hard copy.
Jhaiisiin
Acrobat is generally a PDF Creation program more than anything else. You can't really create a PDF from scratch, in my experience. You create the doc in another program (Word, Pub, whatever), and then export it to a PDF. Then you make bookmarks, adjust zoom levels, etc etc etc. Fun fun. Nightwatchman will need to adjust the font in the original Pub file then re-export it unless he found a trick I missed when I did it.
NightWatchman
QUOTE (Jhaiisiin @ Feb 25 2008, 07:26 PM) *
Acrobat is generally a PDF Creation program more than anything else. You can't really create a PDF from scratch, in my experience. You create the doc in another program (Word, Pub, whatever), and then export it to a PDF. Then you make bookmarks, adjust zoom levels, etc etc etc. Fun fun. Nightwatchman will need to adjust the font in the original Pub file then re-export it unless he found a trick I missed when I did it.

Jhaiisiin is KINDA Right. It is much easier to create a document in an application you are familiar with and convert the application into a PDF.

You can however create a PDF from scratch within Acrobat. As I said before though in most cases it is easier to work in an application and then just convert it within Acrobat.

Dashifen,

As Jhaiisiin said you will have to change within the Microsoft publisher file and then reconvert. If you have something in mind please post it and I can change the sheet.

I want a collection of idea's to make a wonderful sheet. I have also posted the PUB file on Credstick Corporation for you to download and edit yourself.

If you do this please repost the pub file so people can use your changes or Email them to me. I want a sheet everyone love to use.
Dashifen
If you create a PDF file directly from Publisher, do the form fields get automatically created?
NightWatchman
QUOTE (Dashifen @ Feb 26 2008, 03:14 AM) *
If you create a PDF file directly from Publisher, do the form fields get automatically created?

No they do not. If you recreate the PDF then the form fields do not get created.

If you use Acrobat to create the PDF you can AUTO create form fields.

Though this doesnt work perfectly for this PUB it does pretty well. If you edit the PUB file and want the form fields created. Send it to me and I will create it for you.

Let me know
Dashifen
I'll see what I can do. And drop you a line (by PM, we've probably drifted from the purpose of the thread) if I need you.
Jhaiisiin
Sounds like we're still on target. Making a working, very usable of Wordman's sheets. smile.gif Talk away!
NightWatchman
Jhaiisiin has given me a copy of his PUB file. I have given it to Mr. Johnson to post.

Credstick Corporation Blog
no Longer Valid

Sorry all. I was under the impression Jhaiisiin was wanting to share his publisher file.
I have had Mr. Johnson remove the post.

I hope in the future though Jhaiisiin will not care so much about the time spent and the work that is done by whom, but more about the fact that work is being done to support Shadowrun.

Please Jhaiisiin do not take this as an attack. These are my feeling alone and Please Please keep up the good work on your sheets. Do not let my feelings discourage you in sharing your Excellent Product in a PDF format to the other fans of your work.

I am here for the game.
NightWatchman
Jhaiisiin has put together a 1.4 version.

Get it here.
Jhaiisiin
For what it's worth, I do now send out the .pub file to those who need it. I'm not posting it to a website simply due to the file size. (have my own webspaces, but I rather value my bandwidth). If someone needs it for modification, you can shoot me an email for it.

I know a request was sent my way at one point to make High-Pain Tolerance versions of the sheets as well. Given the variable nature of that quality, it's thus far been unrealistic to make the alterations (as it would add another couple dozen pages to the already large file). If a big enough need shows up, I'll do it though.

EDIT: Figures that my webservers are down at the moment. I'll edit this once they're up again. Grr.

EDIT2: And it's working again. Yay for quick web service.
Red-ROM
QUOTE (Jhaiisiin @ Aug 18 2007, 11:56 AM) *
Ain't that the truth. I didn't want to take credit for his work, which is why I contacted him. I'm just lucky he never changed his email address. LOL

And true that the conceal is a bonus/negative based on the weapon type, and yet it's still info my GM has nailed me with. That damned +6 to Assault Rifles kicks my butt every time. wink.gif

Out of curiosity, would you prefer something else there? I'm all for feedback on this. Figure that I want these to be as complete as the originals were, and that can only happen with community feedback.

I can't live without these sheets! after switching to 4th ed, I was a mess, then I found these and life was good again. Thanx.

but something I thought would be nice for the weapons section is a spot for smart link or laser sight
Kronk2
Down again ;-(
James McMurray
QUOTE (NightWatchman @ May 5 2009, 02:22 PM) *
Jhaiisiin has put together a 1.4 version.

Get it here.

403 Forbidden frown.gif
Jhaiisiin
Because of the numerous updates I've done, I've got a thread in the community projects area. All updates will be there from now on, you dirty thread-necros! wink.gif

Here is the link to the thread. You're getting 403 errors because the pages you're looking for are no longer available, because I'm 5 iterations beyond what is in this thread. However, my signature always has the current one, so coulda used that link too. wink.gif
Neraph
I keep getting a "Forbidden" and "Additionally 404 Not Found" replies when I try to linkie.

EDIT: That's what I get for only reading the first page before posting. Noted.
Jhaiisiin
LOL No problem. Updates are in the new thread. smile.gif Like DK, I'll keep current links in my sig.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012