Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Saw 'Stranger then Fiction' last week
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
MK Ultra
The first 15 minutes or so give a nice example of what AR can look like.

Movies with AR examples I remember off the top of my head are the following. What sorces do you know?

Stranger then Fiction
Final Fantasy
Minority Report
I Robot (well I´m not sure if this isn´t a false positive here, as it´s late and I´m tired)
Galaxy Rangers (well that´s a tv show, but Doc had holographic programs back then nyahnyah.gif)

Uh, that´s not much, but my brain is half asleep allready. I´m sure you can add some more!
imperialus
You forgot the seeming wet dream of many a shadowrun player, Ghost In The Shell.
MK Ultra
Oh, how could that have hapened eek.gif must be realy tired sarcastic.gif
l33tpenguin
there are bits in fight club too that could count.

Harry potter provides an excellent example with the ceiling of the main hall, it appears like the open night sky.

I disagree slightly with your movie choices. They show holographic technology. When I think of AR, I think it to be more outstanding than say, a floating interactive screen. I think of it as doing things that are outrageous or impossible (think pink elephants!). holograms are trivial compared to what AR could create. Its a very much "outside the box" idea. You can have an ocean view in a room with no windows. You could have the ocean IN the room if you wanted.

Yes, it does provide little niceties, big 'for sale' arrows, item information, things of that nature. But if you really want to show off AR, you go to the extreme.

edit: thinking more about it, Harry Potter is all EXCELLENT examples (and no, I'm not a huge HP fan, it just came to mind). Pictures that are moving and you can talk with, with characters that move from one to another. Ghosts that float around and you can interact with.

AR can make your mundane world full of magic. Doors that look like brick walls that slit apart when you open them. Sports games would be televised INTO your living room. You could watch every angle of a boxing match that was right there, all around you.
Kerris
I think the point is that these movies are showing what AR is, not what it could be. Sure, AR could be taken to these extremes, but it's highly unlikely that it actually is. Advertising and informational displays are practical, and commonly used. They're useful, and inexpensive to create. Showing an ocean view in the room requires artistry and time, and, frankly, isn't practical.

The "little niceties" are exactly what AR is used for in 2070.
l33tpenguin
QUOTE (Kerris)
I think the point is that these movies are showing what AR is, not what it could be. Sure, AR could be taken to these extremes, but it's highly unlikely that it actually is. Advertising and informational displays are practical, and commonly used. They're useful, and inexpensive to create. Showing an ocean view in the room requires artistry and time, and, frankly, isn't practical.

The "little niceties" are exactly what AR is used for in 2070.

I disagree, in part. Yes, I see and understand how wonderfully helpful and nice AR is used in everyday life in SR. But the extent that AR can, and I believe is, taken to is just that, to make your reality something totally new and enjoyable. Creating an oceanfront view wouldn't be as difficult as you think. Just capture a simsense image of the ocean and put it in your living room. Look at the detail and extent that CGI is used in movies today. They could easily be used as ARE. CGI environments are textured and detailed and fully 3 dimensional. This is work being done on modern computers. To create this for AR wouldn't be a stretch by any means.

I take back what I said about movie choice and such in my original post. Actually, re-reading it, I corrected myself, saying No, its used more for this, then saying yes, it would be used a lot for that... so, anyway.

Yes, lots and lots of information would take advantage of AR to fill a user's life with signs, data, indicators, all of the sort. But, I think where AR really would shine is in ARE, fully customizing a users environment.

ARE is fully practical and the perfect way for someone to express themselves in their environment.
MK Ultra
I think boh aspects are important. While I came up with the topic due to the convenient utilitaryan AR stuff, I think ARE-examples are interesting to track down in movies.

What comes to mind is the Shark-Ad from back to the future part II. Also Imortal, which is a horribly bad movie IHMO has some strange frog-thing that comes out of the bathrooms wall, IIRC. Then there is that 3d Star-Chart in the Jedi-Temple in Starwars Episode III (or was it II).
l33tpenguin
A wonderful example would be the episode of Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows"

The technomages use of 'magic' could easily be done in AR.

(btw, babylon 5 is the greatest series ever and anyone who considers themselves intelligent should watch it in its entirety at least once in their life)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012