Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recruiting: Virus
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2
TinkerGnome
Hey, guys. I've finally decided to break down and give back a bit by running a game. It will start canon and rapidly devolve from there. The rules are simple:
  • All characters should be under the biological age of 20.
  • While characters can be shadowrunners, it is by no means a requirement. Gangers, wageslaves, and any city resident may find themselves wrapped up as part of the plot.
  • Ghouls, shapeshifters, drakes, etc, aren't allowed (for reasons which will become clear).
  • PCs can be of any racial variant (with the above exceptions).
  • Off-site deckers and Otaku are discouraged (ie, the type who generally hang back and perform overwatch throughout a mission). I'm not afraid to do Matrix runs, but the aforementioned character types will generally be fairly useless in this game for, again, reasons which will be made obvious.
  • Characters are built on 123 BP or the priority system. BeCKS will be considered if you really, really want to use it.
  • All characters are encouraged to take the flaw "Hung Out To Dry". Contact based edges and flaws are discouraged. Characters who want to start with contacts can start with up to three Seattle-based contacts, no more than one of which can be over the age of 19.
  • Standard starting gear rules apply, however, keep in mind the character's age and background when choosing. I doubt anyone under 20 has 1,000,000 nuyen.gif worth of cyberware implanted (though a rich kid might have been subjected to a wide range of genetic tampering before birth via genetech, etc). Cultured bioware which meets the availability rules is allowed.
  • Custom vehicles and gear allowed with approval, though it's likely to be difficult to get for most stuff.
  • PCs should be able to Play Well With Others
  • Excessive edges and flaws are a no-no. The definition of excessive is entirely arbitrary wink.gif
  • Characters with a detailed background will receive a karma bounty.
Characters should be in .doc [edit].txt[/edit] or .sr3 format and be sent to tinkergnome (at) comcast (dot) net.
Shadow
Ok TKG, it looks like the other game I was in died and withered away so I would like to play in this one, I have an Adept I need to play with a little to make him work, but I would like to be in.
Digital Heroin
What's your stance on SURGE? *happens to have just crafted a fitting character for another game, but may be making a different one instead*
TinkerGnome
SURGE is fine with me. We're in the proper timeline slot for it.
Digital Heroin
Wicked. Will have to tweak, and come up with an alternate character for the other game.

Actually, I'm not going to commit her to it until I start making another character, might be I'll want to play the other here instead.
Shadow
2 questions TKG:

1: Can I have an Ares MonoSword that looks like a Katana.
2: Can Mono Swords be Dikoted?

I look through all the books I have (I don't have SOTA) and didn't see any reason why not, but I wanted to run it by you first.

Kurb
I want to get up in this...I'll send my character ASAP!
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (Shadow)
1: Can I have an Ares MonoSword that looks like a Katana.
2: Can Mono Swords be Dikoted?

1: Yes. I'd say they're one of the most popular types out on the streets, actually.

2: Yes, but it wouldn't raise the damage code (you can't dikote the monowire, or it'd no longer be mono-wire, the dikoting would raise the barrier rating, etc). That said, why would you want to? A monosword has a worse stat line than a basic katana (weighs more, everything else is virtually the same), after all.
Shadow
Well I wanted to know if it raised the dmg lvl. And you answered, thanks, I'll have a character in ASAP. He has been turned down by a couple of GM's for (what I think) is a dumb reason. It's nothing game wise, but his background story, it ain't crazy or anything, well, you'll see.
TinkerGnome
Additional requirements:
  • Posting will be daily M-F with some weekends, pending GM travel. Not posting every day isn't a deal breaker, but keeping up is (often you can be behind one post with no trouble).
  • Not posting for more than a week without notifying the GM will result in removal from the game. If a situation occurs where one or more characters are idle for a period of time and they are waiting on some other action to conclude, a note should be made in the OOC to that effect.
  • Try to keep sigs out of the IC thread. Or, at least, edit them out as soon as you figure out that you've left one wink.gif
  • Lifestyle isn't important for this game. Don't bother buying it.
  • The age mix really should be around 16. Characters between 12 and 19 are all acceptable, though.
  • Keep your skills and gear "street level" if at all possible. If anyone is a shadowrunner, they're smalltime and just begining.
Shadow
Character away, and thanks for the suggestion.
Shockwave_IIc
I have an non-combat adept that i've been wanting to play for a while. (look at burnt magma for a small idea) Be nice to actually play her.

I'll send the Word.doc She's got a background of about a page and a half. But no 20 questions as yet (one those things i keep meaning to get to). And her contacts need a little fleshing, but not a lot of work.
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (Shadow @ Nov 17 2003, 07:12 PM)
Well I wanted to know if it raised the dmg lvl.

Actually, house rule time. Raise the cost to 4,000 nuyen.gif and double the availability of the monosword and raise its base damage code to (STR+3)S. Dikote will not raise this damage, but will raise the barrier rating. Also, the weapon reverts to club status against anything with a barrier rating > 5.

It's about the same as a dikoted katana, but at least it makes more sense than having a monowire edge which gives you a whole +1 power. Seems pretty silly to me.

I'd still probably just use the dikoted katana.
Digital Heroin
Alright... got to think of a fitting concept... *ponder* Junkyard Rigger? Military Brat? Another Adept? Or just a different shaman... I think I'll go with a shaman still...
Shadow
I went with the Katana, but you probably know that by now. It fit the character better.
TinkerGnome
I'll crack open character sheets tomorrow sometime while I'm on a plane. I'll be rather in and out for the next two days. Resume normal life on Thursday wink.gif
Kagetenshi
I want in, but will be unable to work on the character until Wednesday afternoon (@#$%ing finals); you should get it by Thursday morning at the latest.

Is this acceptable, or should I take my nonconforming schedule and bugger off? wink.gif

~J
TinkerGnome
Thursday's fine. Not everyone has to start at the same time, and there's no way I'll be able to start before Thursday in any case. Oh, and the game is capped at 6 players. Which means six characters not six "I want in" type posts wink.gif
Large Mike
There's a good chance you'll get a character from me. I'm thinking skater/party-kid, or a junkyard rigger. But like you said, it's not in till it's in.
Digital Heroin
I'm an indecisive git... I'm thinking car boosting punk kid now...
Kagetenshi
Dammit... great character concept but no access to SOTA:2063... ah well, I've got a backup.

~J
Digital Heroin
*grunt* My copy of SOTA: 2063 is in NY atm, a continent away... been itching to make a pair of Cs I can't make without it... and it's the only book I own, that I don't have a backup of in digital format...
Tanka
Hmm... Hmm... Hmm...

I'd really, really like to, but I've got no characters in mind (yet) that would fit the bill. I could do some sort of B&E expert, but I'm not sure how useful that will be. If I come up with anything, I'll send it (unless you hit #6 beforehand).

Best of luck to all who do make it. I'll be reading the threads, it sounds very interesting.
Kagetenshi
Character created and sent. I'm blaming you if I fail my finals, even though it's my own damn fault nyahnyah.gif

~J

edit: when I said "backup" up there I meant backup character, not backup copy of SOTA. Was wishing I had one, though.
Little Tim
I'm interested as well, I'll e-mail my character ASAP.
Shadow
To give everyone else a heads up, I made a physadd with an emphasis on melee (of course) and B&E. Though by no means is he a break in expert. He has electroncs and stealth. Technically you could call him an assasin.
TinkerGnome
Heh, I've gotten three characters, though I can't for the life of me decode the one Kagetenshi sent in.

A few more things to throw into the mix include the fact that characters will likely find their lives turned upside down by the events of the game (particularly early events). The two characters I've seen were on the older end of the age range, too, which means I need some younger punks to balance it out. I also just got a phone call (11pm here, which is really short notice since I thought the flight was in 7 hours) telling me that we'd fragged the travel arrangements and they're a day off (ie, I'm outta town Wed-Thurs) so the game will morph around that wink.gif

The game starts at a point in the canon timeline and then widely diverges. The source material for this divergence may become quickly apparent (for those who've been gaming for 10+ years and know the source), but the theme will remain distinctly different.
Kagetenshi
I made a concept character. It'll certainly be interesting seeing how well I manage to pull him off. If it's related to Intelligence, odds are he'll eat it; otherwise, well, he'll do what he can but no promises.

~J

Edit: As you may or may not have noticed by now, I sent in another copy. My character's 12, so that ought to balance a bit smile.gif
TinkerGnome
Ack, missed the game date. It was in the original post, but I deleted it when I changed the way I was writing it. In any case, it's August, 2063.
Shockwave_IIc
Looks like i might be pulling mine (my choice) due to the life changing events. If it's what i think it is you'll have some serious fun, if not have fun anyway.
Digital Heroin
I think I just clued in as to what the event may be... oh, my indecisive ass has continued to strike, but I am making a character... got him on the go right now...
Shadow
Someone want to fill it in for the rest of us? What are you guys talking about?
Shockwave_IIc
Nope cos if im righ it will spoil it for you, and if im wrong i'll look like an ass. biggrin.gif

[EDIT] It's looking like im right biggrin.gif [/EDIT]
TinkerGnome
Heh, anyone who has a guess can direct it at me privately. I'll answer you even if you're playing since it'll get painfully obvious after about five of my posts.

It is rather obvious if you know the source material, after all wink.gif
Glyph
Well, I don't follow the metaplot that much, so I should have a nice surprise. smile.gif I've sent a character in, a street sorcerer/face who's a hustling ork kid.
Digital Heroin
Ex-Ganger Changeling Orc Street Racing Carjacker away! Whew, that's a mouthful.
TinkerGnome
I have six characters right now, though if you still want in, I think Shockwave_iic was thinking about pulling out.

They are:

Azaezel, male human assassin-type physad
Elizabeth Mödel, female ork physad
Kyle, male human 12 year old genius
Skooter, male ork shaman
Daemon, male changeling ork ex-ganger carthief/street racer
Mr. Fix-It, male human techie

The mix of races down the list is unknown, 19, 12, 15, 15, 19 which looks pretty good to me.
Kurb
Dang must not have made it in time! Oh well, maybe next time biggrin.gif
TinkerGnome
Actually, Kurb, I think there's room for one more wink.gif
Kurb
*jumps up and down like a little kid* YAY!!!! rotfl.gif
Tanka
Curses! I was hoping on making a geek kid who's fed up with his school, but has tons of skills in the sciences and technologies department. =\
Shadow
For the record, Azaezel is 18.
TinkerGnome
The OOC thread is open and active. The IC thread has been created, but it's not open yet.
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (TinkerGnome)
I have six characters right now, though if you still want in, I think Shockwave_iic was thinking about pulling out.

Aye, you can count me out. Others can havw this fun. I won't get a character that im wanting this sickness to happen to in with any great speed.

So Kurb looks like my slot is yours, Hope you enjoy this game, I know i would have. I own/ played the one it's based on.

@ Tinkergnome

That word i used in my last E-mail was a deliberte/ Conciesious choice.
Grey
By chance, do you have room for one more?

You can make up for dropping the last game I was in with you. nyahnyah.gif
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (Grey)
By chance, do you have room for one more?

You can make up for dropping the last game I was in with you. nyahnyah.gif

Which one was that? I have six characters right now. I will take one or possibly two more characters since Shockwave decided to drop out (I agree, this is the type of game you only put a character into if you really don't mind having most of their world shattered). The provision is that PCs at this point must be unique and not cover the areas already covered too much.

Also, my travel is currently something like 6 am tomorrow to about midnight on Thursday, so we'll see if I manage to post much in the meantime.
Kagetenshi
My character comes with world pre-broken smile.gif

~J
Grey
Eek! Sorry, I had you confused with someone else. embarrassed.gif

Anyway, I'll have my character sent to you today.
TinkerGnome
This thread is rising from the ashes in order to fish for another player or two. If anyone is interested and up to speed on Virus, post here and we'll talk about possibilities.
Bearclaw
I was just playing around with a stoner/surfer gecko shaman(sorceror). He's got knowledge skills like Drug Dealers/Pot and Surfing, but he's got the whole pile of illusion spells. No combat spells, but who needs them?
Wait, he's got spirit bolt, but other than that, why hurt some one when you can confuse them and then send them into the woods chasing after a phantasm?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012