Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: the future is now?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
hobgoblin
now that sprint is going wimax in USA, and i have seen LTE (long term evolution) being talked about as where UMTS is heading, i went looking on wikipedia for some info. what i found is this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G

sounds to me like the basic building blocks for a wireless matrix wink.gif

now if one can make AR fashionable (we have already seen videos of proto-AR tech in the works, like a virtual jumbo jet landing in a real life hallway) there may be some interesting times ahead wobble.gif
Kyoto Kid
...once again RL moves faster than fiction. I remember in 1981 when FGU came out with a Space game and attemptd to quantify it's computer systems in the present day jargon. That extrapolated nicely from the huge old clunky 1970's mainframes which took up a floor or two of a research centre. However, a year later by their standards, the Commodore 64 had more computing power than needed to run a a capital class ship.
Marwynn
Well that's not too surprising. We throw away electronics that are super advanced compared to the tech NASA used to get to the moon.

But cool nonetheless. I wonder how close the neural trodes are from being a reality.
Kyoto Kid
...I believe the Military is already testing such systems.
hobgoblin
output they have working, but i have yet to read anything convincing about input.

as in, they have monkeys controlling robotic arms just by thinking about it. but they cant put pictures into peoples field of view by putting some contact points on their head, yet.
El Comandante
QUOTE (Marwynn)
I wonder how close the neural trodes are from being a reality.

It does exist! ...Well, not exactly, but it's really impressive!
Firestorm
QUOTE (hobgoblin)

sounds to me like the basic building blocks for a wireless matrix wink.gif

The building blocks are already there, it's just a bandwidth problem.
What LTE ( or 4G ) will bring compared to HSDPA/HSUPA/HSPA is more bandwidth.

You can already surf 'like at home' with a 3G PC Card. ( and do many other things... )

From what I know of LTE/4G the main changes is in the radio part where signal coding will be improved in a way that will allow more meaningful signal (read : bits ) to be sent at the same time.

The revolution in mobile communication was moving from 2G ( Circuit Switching ) to 3 G ( Packet Switching ). Now that we are switching packets it's just a matter of bandwidth.
hobgoblin
well, 3G is a bit of a mixed breed. even if its packet switched, its not IP based.
4G will be IP based iirc. or at least thats a stated goal for it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012