Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick Drawing Gadgets?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
sidekick
They have appeared in multiple movies, such as Taxi Driver and Alien Resurection. Basically they are a like a spring loaded device worn under the sleave that when activated springs the gun into the user's hands. Is there anything like that in Shadowrun Cannon. If not, got any ideas for a good cost for a device such as these (along with any rules... I was thinking that with them a character doesn't need to roll to quickdraw and fire, or maybe roll at a -2).
Kurukami
Probably just a minus to the TN, I'd think. You could still rule of 1 as the gun's coming out of your sleeve and fumble the catch.
Ol' Scratch
The rules already include them. It's a Concealable Quick-Draw Holster with a colorful descriptor. All the rules are already there. Your Quick Draw/Reaction test is to see if you release the weapon and catch it just right; if you do so, it's a Free Action, if not you're fumbling with it and it takes the standard amount of time. It still provides the exact same Concealability bonuses and everything else.

No additional rules required.
Zazen
Now how about those (IMO, ridiculous) devices used in Equilibrium to reload pistol magazines with a flick of the wrist?
Ol' Scratch
That would require a new Fast Loading rule/gadget. I think using one similar to Quick Drawing would be acceptable. Reaction (4) Test with a +2 TN penalty for not having the right gear unless you shell out 100-200 nuyen for a Quick Loader or whatever else you want to call it. You don't have to go into details about how it works; leave that up to the players.
RedmondLarry
If I get a good quick-drawing gadget, I'm going to make up some good floorplans pronto.
BitBasher
Now how about those (IMO, ridiculous) devices used in Equilibrium to reload pistol magazines with a flick of the wrist?
It still took a simple action to do time wise, I don't see that it gave any real benefit over cyber ejection and just slapping in a new clip.
Ol' Scratch
The real advantage in Equillibrium is that he didn't have to drop either weapon to do it. Maybe just making a hands-free clip loader for about the same price, no test required?
Siege
I still haven't seen this movie, but apparently I have to.

A secondary idea might be the loading gadget from "Tomb Raider" -- faster than fumbling for a magazine from a pouch.

-Siege
Zazen
I saw it just because of the hype here and wasn't particularly impressed. The fight scenes and the whole concept of the unhittable gun cleric were only kinda cool, quickly counteracted by unbelievable self-important nonsense that filled the rest of the film. My suggestion is to pass on it.

This is, of course, just my opinion.
Arethusa
Don't. It's a horrible, horrible, horrible film. Well, it is hilarious, but for all the wrong reasons. I'll admit it has the occasional moment of levity and sweet action, but, for the most part, the exceptional suffering you'll have to endure isn't worth it for most people. I'm sort of an exception in that I hated and sort of perversely enjoyed it at the same time. But consider yourself warned!

Anyway, on topic, the entire idea is a pretty stupid one for a realistic game (no runner would opt for this ridiculous, potentially dangerous, and overly complicated stuff. But if it's your kind of thing and you really can't be dissuaded by sense and various warnings that it's kind of tacky and cloddish, a simple action that can be done silultaenously with both hands, not requiring you to drop the guns and requiring a quickness check of 3 or 4 should about do it. And as for quickdrawing, I don't personally feel it's a concealed quickdraw holster so much as a specialized, mechanical variant; maybe drop the TN and add a penalty to concealability?
Siege
With the mythical tech of Shadowrun, it's plausible to believe that a "smart holster" could pop a magazine out and away from the body so a character could clear the weapon's mag and load a new one without ever having to use a spare hand.

Granted, this is sheer conjecture and I'm inanely bored at the moment, but it's a vaguely neat idea...grinbig.gif

Which lends itself to a wide array of similarly automated personal gear...and artificial personalities for your smart gear...wheee!

-Siege
Dim Sum
Sh'ya, right! smile.gif And before you know it, we're gonna have blue-skinned runners carrying talking assault rifles, and wearing talking helmets and back-packs! smile.gif

Where the next generation of fast-loaders are concerned, I'm with Siege here. It's not inconceivable to have nifty mechanical reload devices in future permitting you to reload a weapon without ever having to do anything more than eject the the spent magazine and holding your weapon in position to receive the new one.

(I've not seen Equilibrium but I did like Lara's reloader in Tomb Raider)

[edited for spelling]
Kagetenshi
Just imagine: the reloader will be happy to reload for you, and will even thank you for the chance to help you reload.

~J
CirclMastr
This has been your Douglas Adams reference for the thread. Thank you, move along.
Diesel
I'd get a good cyberleg with an internal holster, reloading mechanism, and a leg full of magazines. And carry two guns. When one got empty, into the leg it goes!
Zazen
How about a character with a high Juggling skill who juggles a gun and two clips? When the gun falls into his dominant hand he shoots it twice and then returns it to the pattern (kind of like bite-the-apple). When it's empty, smartlink-eject the gun and reload the gun with the clip which already resides in the secondary hand. He could even put a grenade or something else in the pattern for extra options. No more "ready weapon" actions for pulling a grenade!

Of course, this kind of cinematic finesse stuff is right up an adepts alley, so he'll naturally be using the juggling to center. It just keeps getting better! wobble.gif
Dim Sum
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Just imagine: the reloader will be happy to reload for you, and will even thank you for the chance to help you reload.

~J

rotfl.gif
Siege
QUOTE (Zazen)
How about a character with a high Juggling skill who juggles a gun and two clips? When the gun falls into his dominant hand he shoots it twice and then returns it to the pattern (kind of like bite-the-apple). When it's empty, smartlink-eject the gun and reload the gun with the clip which already resides in the secondary hand. He could even put a grenade or something else in the pattern for extra options. No more "ready weapon" actions for pulling a grenade!

Of course, this kind of cinematic finesse stuff is right up an adepts alley, so he'll naturally be using the juggling to center. It just keeps getting better! wobble.gif

Hey...

Increased Reflexes and Enhanced Athletics...

I think you're on to something.

grinbig.gif

Player: "I toss my gun up, yank a magazine free and toss it up just before I catch the gun and clear the magazine..."

GM: "..."

GM: "Ok, just don't fumble..."

-Siege
El_Machinae
Y'know, the more we look at it, the more useful juggling appears.
Dogsoup
Anyone seen Undead?
In one scene the "hero" throws his akimbo guns straight up, quick draws a another weapon, fire a couple of shots, drop it and catch the falling pistols perfectly.
I mean, if you're into cinematic rather than realistic, one could allow this with the Missile Mastery power and some above-average QUI rolls... Just brainstorming here...
Luke Hardison
This just proves that the best reload is the Texas reload ....

Drop the empty gun and draw the next full one.

(Shamelessly stolen from the New York Reload, and frighteningly true, as Texas was the first state to pass a Concealed Carry law in which you could carry as many firearms as you could keep concealed on your person) wink.gif
Centurion
Hey now, nothing wrong with being well prepared.
Kagetenshi
"...Why are you clanking?"
"I prefer to say I'm prepared for all eventualities."

~J
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Dim Sum)
Sh'ya, right!  smile.gif  And before you know it, we're gonna have blue-skinned runners carrying talking assault rifles, and wearing talking helmets and back-packs! smile.gif

Well, for the blue skin how about SURGE? And for a battleground, just plonk him down in the middle of nuke-zone that is Libya and the desert wars. Hell, maybe he's some sort of Megacorp experiment on anti-radiation treatments. Although AI's for the gear could be harder. Nice reference though. biggrin.gif
Kagetenshi
Nah, no blue-skinned runners:

Blue-furred runners.

~J
Phasma Felis
This just proves that the best reload is the Texas reload ....

Drop the empty gun and draw the next full one.

(Shamelessly stolen from the New York Reload, and frighteningly true, as Texas was the first state to pass a Concealed Carry law in which you could carry as many firearms as you could keep concealed on your person)

What's a New York Reload?
Fortune
QUOTE (Phasma Felis)
What's a New York Reload?

The same thing, which is why he said it was stolen from it.
Lilt
It came-up in a conversation once, can't remember if it was about an RPG background or speculation about RL, but the law was changed so that killing someone was only considered murder if they were armed. Killing someone who wasn't carrying a firearm? Well: They deserved what was coming to them.
Siege
"Well, they shoulda armed themselves..."

Bangkok rules...nobody fires until this can hits the ground...

-Siege
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012