Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Technomancers relay as Nodes?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
otakusensei
Let's say you're out in the woods (shock) with your hacker buddy and you're girlfriend the technomancer. For this exercise we'll say the signal ratings are all 3. You all realize suddenly that you are the only matrix nodes in the area and want to go back to Seattle but you've forgotten the way. Stick with me this is setup. Your girlfreind, who's the technomancer, stays at camp and you and your hacker buddy head off in opposite directions looking for the road. At some point you and your frined will be unable to make a connection to each other but both of you will still be able to make a connection to your girlfriend. Now she's a technomancer, and her brain should function like a commlink, but with some restrictions. In this case will it allow normal mesh networking?
hobgoblin
i dont see why not, its a simple matter of relaying the signal thats picked up, but on a different channel most likely.
Wasabi
Sure, why not.

What is most likely is that someone would die from a drop bear if they brought a TM without a Satellite Uplink. I mean c'mon... TM's get "agitated" when not around the matrix so can you imagine how mental she'd become??!

smile.gif
Aaron
I believe that Emergence mentioned something about technomancers still kicking off signal while sleeping. Since they're probably not hacking in their sleep, I'd imagine they're participating in regular network traffic. That's just my own guess, though; if I knew for certain ... well, actually if I knew for certain I wouldn't have posted, so take it as you like.
otakusensei
Alright, that's what I figured. Now here's a spin on the original question.

Let's say that a TM has an implanted commlink. The commlink has no wireless capability, but it is DNI'd directly into the TMs brain. Could the Commlink get a matrix connection by connecting via DNI and using the TM as a node to hop off? Or would it need a more traditional means of making a mesh connection?
Blog
I always considered the 'agitated' from lack of wireless signals similar to walking into a smoke hazed bar. You can tolerate it up to a point then you just gotta go.

Yea I could see a technomancer taking a small collection of wireless devices with them on outdoor trips to have a 'nest'

As far as signal hoping/repeating? Only if the TM gives your authorization. Most devices capable of wireless transmission will automatically act as a relay (its how the matrix 2.0 IS wireless) Most shadowrunners disable this to avoid detection, and TM/Hackers are more protective of their 'hub' moreso.

Just remeber to not send anything you wouldnt want her to see; cause chances are she is deciphering it out of boredom.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012